PDA

View Full Version : Issues with a whinner...

TheEndIsHere
21-06-2007, 18:52
Theres this guy that plays IG at our shcool. One of the only guys that plays here, the only guy I might ever play here. And he's a whinner, BIG time, if anything is better than his IG he whines, ALOT, if anything is too ahrd to kill with a lasgun, he whines, if he doesn't know tactics (shoot 3+ armour save with AP 3) and uses the wrong weapons against the wrong guys and they don't die he whines, he whines at marines because of 3+ AS says they're cheesy, Strom troopers should be better then them, a Land Raider has better back armour that a LR, he calls it cheesy. And the problem is,

I play necrons...

All the whinning and the calling cheesy... I'm going crazy, I Don't know what to do anymore... (was funny tho when on equal points immortals OWNED Storm Troopers, when flamers don't kill warriors easily, when i told him his officers are STR and T 3 not 5, that he needs a 4+ to hit with plasma gun not 2+, or plasma guns overheat... )

What should I do...

TheEnd

jfrazell
21-06-2007, 18:55
You mean whining?

Don't play him, or tell him to suck it up a little. Play at a local store if the crew's not large enough (should be studying not playing at school unless its poker of course).

Souleater
21-06-2007, 18:55
Find somebody else to play against is my advice, too.

barontuman
21-06-2007, 19:06
There are a few things you can do,

1) find other players
2) wait till he grows up
3) help him grow up by talking with him about it.
4) Offer to play his army and he plays yours. Let him design an army with any available models that you've got, and you design an army with his. It sounds like you've got a better handle on the game, so you should tactially be able to beat him. If however he beats you, then you'll have to look at what's happening. If he's got a limited model selection and you're taking stuff that is tailored around what he owns, then maybe you should consider using a "all comers" style of army instead.

Meriwether
21-06-2007, 23:54
A. Learn to spell 'whining'.

B. Take barontuman's advice on #4.

C. Play a deliberatly silly list, to give him a better chance of winning. (Not recommended.)

D. Teach him to ask the all-important question, "What could I have done better?" The answer comes in two forms -- army selection and tactics. If you know enough about the game, you can help him in both areas.

If all of this fails, tell him you've got better things to do with your time than play with a whining schmuck. Then go find better things to do with your time. :)

-Meri

Silverchairguy
22-06-2007, 00:09
You could give him a crashcourse on Cheese, and explain to him exactly what that is. Space Marines are not cheesey in themselves, neither are IG, but you can make them that way. Why don't you help him design a really cheesey IG army? He might win more, and in turn quit whining.
Alternatively, you could avoid him when gaming in the future, and look for more experienced players. This guy obviously doesn't know his own army if he's doubting it like that.

EVIL INC
22-06-2007, 00:15
So far, all suggestions given are good.
One of my buddies LOVES to play but he does not have an army and well... he is not that great of a player through lack of playing. The thing is though, he knows and understands this and never whines. When I play him, I help him make his lists so that he has the benifit of my experience (yes, I usually end up tailering his list to fight mine to give him an edge). Then during the game, he will make up his own objectives and work towards them. For example...We used to play Fantasy years ago and my undead army consistantly owned his dark elves. At that time, my favorite general to use was a particuler vampire he was never able to kill. He made his mission trying to kill that particuler model. It was an ongoing storyline about his constantly trying to kill that one model. Other times, I would allow him to write down a secret mission and put the paper near the table. I would have to guess his mission through his actions in the game and try to thwart him. If I was unable to figure it out in time or he fooled me, he would win regardless of the models and points. Storyline games and such like that can be fun and might help your problems.

badnewsblair
22-06-2007, 17:20
When he is not looking, set the shoebox he transports his army in on fire. That should take care of the issue.

Gaius_Baltar
22-06-2007, 19:41
If he whines about how his stats are worse, how it's cheesye, simply tell him "Fine, let'slay a game and I'll let you have a LR with 14 armour all round, storm trooper that are better than marines, and infantry that can kill something with 1 lasgun shot. Once he gets all happy about it, tell him to his face that he'll hjave to pay more than 250 points for the LR, more than 20 points per storm tooper and more than 15 per guardsmen, if he says that's cheesey, then tell him too bad, his guys aren't uber good BECAUSE they don't cost a million points per guy.

CommisarMolotov
22-06-2007, 20:44
There are a few things you can do,
4) Offer to play his army and he plays yours. Let him design an army with any available models that you've got, and you design an army with his. It sounds like you've got a better handle on the game, so you should tactially be able to beat him. If however he beats you, then you'll have to look at what's happening. If he's got a limited model selection and you're taking stuff that is tailored around what he owns, then maybe you should consider using a "all comers" style of army instead.

That's excellent advice! We use it around here as a "cheese test" - if you think something reeks of cheddar, there's nothing like swapping armies and having another go to give you another perspective...

Often the "cheeser" finds that his army is no fun to play against, or the "complainer" finds that the army is a LOT more difficult to use than they thought!

Gaius_Baltar
23-06-2007, 03:21
Well you should explain to that idiot that a LeemanRuss andother IG tanks have great front armour and crapy back armour because IG aren't ment to jump into the dead center of enemy fire like Marines do, and that's why a Land Raider has 14 all-round, and costs 250 points. also that StormStoopers are ment to just jump in the back of the enemy, and destroy something vunerable from the back or something like that, that's why they can use deep-strike and use good special and heavy weapons, and if played properly can wipe out a fair ammount of Marines or tacticaly important unit to your enemy.

Or... You can give him a good taste of his own medecine and whine about ever tiny thing that you find slightly unfair, even though isn't.

Curufew
23-06-2007, 05:24
Well asked him why he started IG in the first place? They're well known for their low strength lasguns and low T.

Zedric
23-06-2007, 08:42
I'm going to vote for this solution. It's worked wonders in the past.