PDA

View Full Version : question about hand weapons and magical weapons

mazdaboq
14-08-2005, 23:52
I'm working on a list, yet i havent played in a while and need need to know is this is legal, or just petty optimism.

The character, a WE Highborn, is going to be armed with the helm of the hunt, Diath's reaper, etc. but i need to know if he can choose the additional hand weapon so he can get a 3+ ( shield, LA, helm, hand weapon) save in combat, or if he can't because he has already chosen a weapon, diaths reaper.

thnx for taking the time to answer a nooblet's question. :D

taer
15-08-2005, 03:31
has to use the magic weapon in combat, so no +1 for HW+shield

Flame
15-08-2005, 07:34
Remember though that everyone has a hand weapon anyway, so wouldn't have to buy one to get the bonus.

Althought he can't use it unless his magic weapons been destroyed somehow.

Tarax
17-08-2005, 10:09
BRB p.152 Under MAGIC WEAPONS, 2nd paragraph

MarcoPollo
26-08-2005, 01:56
What I would like to know is if I purchase a magical weapon and the character already comes with a hand weapon; does that count as using a weapon in each hand?

I would thinks so.

Izram
26-08-2005, 02:00
you only get it for having two hand weapons, not just a weapon in each hand. If you have a magical weapon/shield, then no mundane bonuses

Yanos
26-08-2005, 07:38
On the nose. While it does seem to make sense that a character could use a mundane weapon in one hand and the magical one in the other, the Warhammer rationale is that magic weapons are rare enough that a character is so enthused with his shiny magical toy that he won't bother using a mundane weapon instead/as well.

The only time your Magic Weapon would count as two hand-weapons is if it says so in the item description, like the WE Blades of Burning (or some similar name!), or the TK Crook and Flail of Grooviness (or equally similar name!).

Griefbringer
26-08-2005, 09:02
As the rules stand, if you have a magic weapon, you will use that and only that. Even if you had twenty mundane hand weapons, you would not be able to use any of them.

Technical comment: this prevents the mundane additional hand weapon from getting the magical bonuses from the magical weapon held in the other hand.

T10
26-08-2005, 10:25
What I would like to know is if I purchase a magical weapon and the character already comes with a hand weapon; does that count as using a weapon in each hand?

I would thinks so.

Most magical weapons should have been defined as "a hand weapon with magical properties". It would have solved a whole lot of problems. The only negative effect I can see is the issue of the combination of a magical weapon plus an additional hand weapon.

Instead the designers went for the somewhat confusing "magic weapons overrule all other weapon's rules".

-T10

Izram
26-08-2005, 17:44
I dont think it would make sense to use both anyway. It would be complicated adding in extra attacks and whether or not the extra attack would benifit from the magical properties of the other weapon.

MarcoPollo
26-08-2005, 22:47
It seems to me not to make military sense that way. Why not use the weapon if you have it available. Perhaps, the weapons are both "right handed". I guess that I could rationalize the fact that you cannot use both the magical weapon and the mundane weapon together to get a +1 attack if they are both right handed.

To keep things separate can be a challenge for the memory especially in battle. You would always needing to be rolling one extra dice when you attacked that way. I suppose that there is no clear definition as to whether or not you could use it. I think I will not use it unless my opponent does the same.

Too bad there goes my Khonre Lord with 8 strength 5 attacks.

Griefbringer
27-08-2005, 10:50
I suppose that there is no clear definition as to whether or not you could use it.

The rules for magic items state quite specifically that if you are packing a magic weapon you have to use it in close combat, and cannot use any other weapon (regardless of the amount of hands or weapons you have).