PDA

View Full Version : Etham Build His Guys: A Long-term Dark Angels vs. CW Eldar Project Log

etham
22-06-2007, 22:55
Log Entry 001: Introduction

After more than a year of building up models, supplies, and background material I am finally going to put it all together! I have everything out of storage (I moved twice this year) and the pile of junk in the corner that my girlfriend keeps on me about is nearly gone so I am allowed to make a different pile of junk in a different corner now.

IT'S TIME TO GET TO WORK!

General Mission
I am giving myself just over a year from today to get two armies built. By July 1, 2008, I want to have both my Eldar and Dark Angels armies finished and on a table. This isn't going to be as easy as it might sound, because since the summer of 2006 I've been accumulating models at a steady pace.

My Experience
I started painting Space Wolves in 1988 and Epic-scale marines and Eldar in 1990. I put the hobby down from 1992 to 2006, during which time I was painting paintings and making websites. I started modeling and converting in 2006, but I haven't painted minis in 15 years.

My Armies

Dark Angels
These may end up being a successor chapter, but since I haven't decided yet, I doubt it. Whatever happens, they will not end up being Dark Angels Green. There is a brilliantly painted Warhound Titan in a recent White Dwarf that is metallic black with copper trim. This is my inspiration for my DA battle companies (3 through 9).

The Ravenwing will still be black, but not metallic and maybe on the shiny side and with a different trim color. Deathwing will be white, not bone, with gold or silver trim. I've been thinking about this for two years, so suggestion on this subject are welcome, but probably won't be taken.

Craftworld Eldar
These are Craftworld Eldar of my own creation. Their color scheme is based on WW1-era German Lozenge-Pattern Camouflage, Nature, and stained glass windows in a church down the street from my house.

I haven't worked on any of the fluff and I am totally open to any suggestions on this army.

The Plan
I want to work on these guys concurrently, so I will be back and forth from DAs to Eldar as this thing goes. Images to come!

Next Entry: DA Master of the Deathwing Test Model!

etham
24-06-2007, 22:42
Log Entry 002: Master of the Deathwing Test Model

I converted this guy quite a while ago, before the new DAs were anounced and back when I thought I was being novel about doing a DA army. Oh well, what can you do, right? So I march on.

Conversion notes
The head is from the Lord Typhus Chaos Terminator model, sans horn. I think it works nicely for the old metal terminators, but I am not sure if this concept will make it to the final MotDW that I am planning since it is based on Commander Culln of the Red Scorpions (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/culln.htm). We'll see.

Also, I green-stuffed the toga to wrap around the back so it feels more like the DA cloaks (not shown) and swapped the right arm out for an old-school terminator sergeant arm. Not sure yet if the toga will make it to the final model yet, either.

Now that the primer is dry it's time to break out the foundation paints. I've never used the, so there is going to be a slight learning curve in this next step.

etham
25-06-2007, 14:13
Log Entry 003: MotDW Test Model Basecoat

I used the foundation set on this guy and I am pretty happy with the way those work, so I'll be using them to start everything, I think. What I am not happy with is the grainy texture of the primer I used. It looked fine before I laid down the basecoat, but I may skip this step for all of the models that I haven't primed yet. That's probably about half of them.

I know that some of you guys don't use primer, so I am curious what people have to say about that technique.

Anyway, colors used so far are:
Armor - Astronomican Grey
Robes - Dheneb Stone
Parchment - Tausept Ochre
Seals and Gun trim - Mechrite Red
Badges and leather - Chardon Granite
Metal - Adeptus Battlegrey

Now it's time to give it a wash. Then I'll have to practice my wet blending.

etham
25-06-2007, 14:15
Log Entry 003b: It helps when you remember the images!

Lavadude360
25-06-2007, 17:37
Good Luck with this here Project.

Hope it goes well. :)

Ninners
25-06-2007, 17:58
I am suprised you have so few replies...

The foundation paints are awesome, and you have certainly used them well, well done. Good idea for the conversion, it looks sweet. I would recommend to always use primer, it is a good shading layer

Keep up the good work

etham
25-06-2007, 21:56
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I think the lack of replies is due to the server errors that we keep getting. I'm not worried about it as I am not moving very quickly on it anyway. :D

I suppose you're right about the primer, but what can we do to tone down the splattered texture that comes with spray paint?

Rogue Trader
25-06-2007, 23:52
what head did you use for that conversion??? looking good so far

etham
26-06-2007, 02:16
First to answer a question:

what head did you use for that conversion??? looking good so far

I used the one from Typhus, Herald of Nurgle (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99060102084&orignav=9). It's a simple conversion, although drilling out the original head (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=302164&orignav=300866&ParentID=1338&GameNav=10) was trying. I thought about using that bit for every single on of my Deathwing, but I think it will have a better impact just on the Master. I haven't tried it yet on the big termies, though. It might look a little wee.

It's definitely simpler than what I have planned for my librarian. I have one of the new terminator librarians (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=305892&orignav=300866&ParentID=259226&GameNav=10) and I want to GS a helmet onto him that is a copy of the old Grey Knight (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010132226&orignav=9) head. That is going to be tough.

Now on to our regularly scheduled programming...

Log Entry 004: Master of the Deathwing Takes a Bath

I'm digging the way this guy is turning out. I gave him a bath in black ink today. It did a nice job on the grooves, but I noticed that it accentuates the lousy job I did on the GS robe in the back. You can see what I mean in the second photo below. Oh well. He's just a test model anyway.

I think I am going to have to take a break tomorrow, because these brushes that I am using SUCK. They have nylon bristles and have gotten bent after ONE MODEL! Lame! That's what I get for going with cheep crap.

By the way, can someone PM me with instructions on how to do inline images? These little thumbnail attachments are lame.

Next step: Armour Highlights!

etham
27-06-2007, 13:41
Log Entry 005: MotDW Armour Highlights

I'm not as satisfied as I could be with how this came out. I think the highlight stages should have been closer together and more frequent, but the texture of the surface is starting to get a little chunky, so I switched to wet blending in the middle of the process. Since I haven't done a whole lot of wet blending, it didn't come out as well as it might have. I need to practice this technique. It would probably help if I didn't have a fan blowing on me and drying out the paint to quickly.

All in all, I think it looks better in real life that in the pics, but since that's what counts I seems that I need to work on my technique. :(

Another thing I discovered is that I shouldn't use black ink to wash something that will eventually be cream colored. I found this stuff called Kel's Magic Sauce (http://www.thewarstore.net/kelsmagicsauce.html), which sounds too good to be true and I might try next time. Seems a little steep in price to me, though. Do any of you have experience with this stuff?

Anyway, here are the pics:

jasevx
27-06-2007, 13:43
Thats coming along quite nicely!

Kobal
27-06-2007, 13:59
cool looking marine, cant wait to see him done.

etham
29-06-2007, 22:26
Thanks Kobal. I hope you like the finished piece.

Thanks Jesevx. That means a lot coming from someone that paints as well as you do.

Log Entry 006: Master of the Deathwing details

Ok, I'm calling this guy done. Remember, this is a test model, so I am not going to waste time or materials basing him. Overall I am happy with this job, although the paint could have come out smoother. I need to figure out how to do the wet blending or built up highlights without laying on too much pigment to avoid the chunky texture. If any of you have advice on that, I would appreciate it.

The Deathwing will end up looking like this, although I'm on the fence about the robes. I think this made up my mind as to weather I will do the actual DA chapter or a successor chapter. This just looks too cool to pass up. Besides, I can be creative with my Eldar.

Next post, Eldar Dire Avengers from my custom craftworld

etham
03-07-2007, 23:40
Log Entry 007: Eldar Dire Avengers

Ok, so my camera is on the fritz AND I have strep throat. Not a good week. But at least I get to stay home and paint, right?

Fluff
I've worked up a good base for the Dire Avengers for my own craftworld (no name yet). Essentially, the fluff is that they were a medium sized craftworld that was close to an exodite planet when it received a distress call. The exodites were being molested by a group of Fallen Dark Angels under Cypher. The craftworld arrived in time to save a large colony of exodites, but suffered heavy losses to the FDAs, especially guardians and avengers, as well as the planet. As such this craftworld has a distinct hatred for Dark Angels, fallen or Imperial (they make no distinction).

Because of the planets fall to the Fallen, the exodites were incorporated into the craftworld society, most of which became guradians. Along with the exodites, a large number of rangers who were also on the planet were welcomed into the army. as such, all forces must include 1 squad of rangers before selecting other troop choices.

Color Scheme
The colors scheme for this craftworld is based in autumnal colors, red being complimentary and opposite of green and symbolizing their hatred of all things Dark Angels. Guardians, falcons, wraithlords, etc. will be red, yellow, and orange. All aspects will have a scheme that works with this red/yellow/orange scheme.

Dire Avengers
Since Dire Avengers are usually blue and people freak if you deviate from the norm, I have had trouble coming up with the scheme for these guys. In the end I have decided on a blue-ish gray similar to icebergs in the north pole in spring, with red, yellow, and orange details. Basically, I started with necron abyss and worked up to a 50/50 mix of white and marine blue using light dry-brushing and layering. Right now I am giving them a wash of phthalo blue. I might end up doing this twice.

Next step, layering up to light gray, hopefully with pics

Savnock
04-07-2007, 01:21
Don't sweat people's reaction if you mess with Aspect Warrior schemes. They will no doubt rock regardless.

May I make a rules suggestion for the Exodites? Kroot mercenaries are a great way to represent them...

Rogue 7
04-07-2007, 01:51
Looking QUITE nice for a 15 year absence. My only suggestion would be a little bit more detail on the mask of your MOTDW. Other than that, everything looks great.

etham
04-07-2007, 03:03
May I make a rules suggestion for the Exodites? Kroot mercenaries are a great way to represent them...

That is an excellent idea! I guess I would either need the Tau 'dex or the Kroot PDF to do that, right?

I plan to use these two armies against each other to teach myself the game. With Kroot mercs for the Eldar and Death Cult Assassins for my Angels, that makes FOUR codices!

Bungaroo
04-07-2007, 11:24
Nice work, I like to see a fellow converter of Dark Angels.

I have used the Terminator Librarian as my basis of Belial, Master of the Deathwing. I'll be posting the figure, undercoated Black, before painting in my log shown in the link below.

I'll try to get it on tonight. Look forward to watching this log progress and especially what you do with the Terminator Librarian Model.

cyphertheory
04-07-2007, 16:01
liking the style you are taking with this project log and glad to see you are keeping it well paced

very good work considering how long it was since you last picked up a brush in anger!

best of luck

etham
04-07-2007, 18:00
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Log Entry 008: Dire Avengers Highlights

Here they are. As I said before, I used Necron Abyss for the foundation and used drybrushing and layering to build up to 50/50 marine blue and white.

Here you can see me using wet blending to highlight further. Here I've gotten to the wolves gray. From here I'll be going up to white.

I haven't decided on the head color yet. I'll probably go with white. I like subtle so a nice fade from dark blue to white over the length of the body should achieve that.

Next step: finished highlights and basecoated details.

downundercadet07
04-07-2007, 19:19
Nice. Very tactical looking. Would looks ace with a little source lighting from the chest gems.

etham
08-07-2007, 19:15
Log Entry 009: Dire Avengers Bodies

Ok, so not all of them are finished. I just went forward with the exarchs as they are more complicated and will guide the rest of the unit in scheme. The rest of them will be painted the same way, but have less ornament. I am still thinking about how the do the trim parts. The banners look really good in black, so I might stick with that, or I might go with pink or a regal blue. Still thinking about it.

ps. The blurry picture on the right has more accurate color.

etham
13-07-2007, 15:23
Log Entry 010: Gray-Knight-Justicar-to-Dark-Angels-Assault-Librarian Conversion

I thought I would take a break from the eldar and work on some converting. After much grinding and filing, I have removed all of the Inquisition-specific iconography off of this justicar (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=301766&orignav=300913&ParentID=215432&GameNav=10) in order to convert him to my Dark Angels Assault Librarian. This was no small task.

Also, I pulled the arm off of an old librarian and made a plastic fore-arm with plasma gun. I haven't decided if I'll be using the force staff or the halberd from the Gray Knight Terminators (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=301760&orignav=300913&ParentID=215413&GameNav=10). Opinions on this issue are greatly welcomed.

The jump pack will be from a Chaos Space Marine Raptor (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=301816&orignav=300901&ParentID=214416&GameNav=10) (not pictured).

The next step on this guy will be some greenstuffing. Right now he's a little bare and needs some books and chains and junk like that hanging off of him to match the rest of the army.

ghostmaker12
22-10-2007, 00:15
why not incorporate both into the staff. like have it have either the blade on the back (indicated with red) or blade on the bottom of the staff (indicated with Blue)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/ghostmaker12/blade.jpg

Ps: dont mind my horrible paint skills,and the giant white box.

AbyssRaven
22-10-2007, 01:09
looking good so far, cant wait to see more

etham
22-10-2007, 17:30
why not incorporate both into the staff. like have it have either the blade on the back (indicated with red) or blade on the bottom of the staff (indicated with Blue)

I think I'm going to save the blade for my terminator libby. The justicar looks really good with less flamboyant weapons.

etham
10-06-2009, 00:07
Log Entry 011: Back in the Saddle

Hey there, hi there, ho there!

After a two year hiatus I am back. I've been gone so long I have forgotten what I was doing, but I picked up my X-Acto knife the other day and started into it. Right now I have the following on my table:

ELDAR
1 Limited Edition Autarch (cleaned)
1 Autarch with wings (cleaned / base coated)
1 Autarch with Warp Spider pack (cleaned / base coated)
1 Eldrad (cleaned)
1 Farseer with sword (cleaned)
6 Warlocks (cleaned, one needs greenstuff work because of a casting error)

8 Harlequins (cleaned)
6 Fire Dragons (cleaned)
6 Howling Banshees (finished / awaiting clear coat & basing)

12 Dire Avengers (50% painted / 50% assembled)
27 Guardian Defenders (21 cleaned / 50% assembled, 6 on sprue)
9 Storm Guardians (7 50% assembled, 2 on sprue)
6 Rangers (cleaned / base coated)

5 Shining Spears (this is a major mod project involving 5 guardian jet bikes + 5 Dark Eldar jet bikes + bits)

1 Support Weapon Platform crew (cleaned / 50% assembled)
1 Support Weapon Platform (cleaned / awaiting mod - magnetization)
1 Wraithlord (cleaned / awaiting mods - magnetization, assault pose)
3 Warwalkers (cleaned / base coated / awaiting mod - magnetization)

1 Falcon Grav-tank (in box)

I also have a pile of random stuff that I might turn into a female autarch at some point, and I want to get 5 more female guardians to round out my guardians.

DARK ANGELS
A whole ton of stuff I can't even begin to list. I am going to finish the Eldar first, I think, for two reasons: I care less about the Eldar models, so I am hoping to get my painting skills back in shape on them; and also I am already pretty far into them and want to finish at least one of these armies rather than having two half finished ones laying around forever.

Picks to come in future posts.

etham
21-06-2009, 00:17
Log Entry 012: Storm Guardian Defenders

FORCE UPDATE: I just won an Avatar in the box on eBay for $18. Not bad if I do say so myself. So that will round out the army nicely (as if I needed another HQ choice, or even more models for that matter).

Fluff Update
I have decided that all of my plastic female Eldar will be Storm Guardian Defenders. This is mainly to signify that they are on the path of the Howling Banshee aspect, but I like the idea of all female units for my SGDs because my craft world has a rigid cultural structure. Yes, some of the females become Harlequins but they would be considered deviants. I will be making a female Autarch out of an OOP Banshee and a Lelith Hesperax bit I have laying around, but she will have taken the HB path so she still fits with this fluff. I might get super ambitious and make an all female force big enough to field in games, but it would be super weak being comprised solely of an Autarch, HBs and SGDs. Obviously it would need augmenting with either Harlequins or wraiths, which I feel 'meh' about.

I had been toying with the idea of making the ones with chain swords and special weapons male to signify that they are on the path of the Striking Scorpion and Fire Dragon (and to make the modeling easier), but changed my mind and stuck to my original idea.

The problems with the all female units, though, is the math involved in buying kits. I don't like having spares laying around, but I think I might be stuck with that. Right now I have nine of each torso type, which means that I have nine female torsos. I only have enough arms to make 8 SGDs, and even worse, I only have enough heads to make 6 SGDs because I won't use bare heads.

This means I have to use normal helmets or find some extra SGD heads somewhere (I have some Darke Eldar Reaver rider heads that could combine with standard GD heads to make some SGD out of, but I think it might looks dumb). Another kit of SGDs would give me eleven female torsos and enough arms for sixteen models. Now I would have both enough heads (12) and arms (16) for the torsos. Maybe I can figure out a way to scrounge 4 more heads and 5 more female GD kits from somewhere (eBay/various bit stores). That will get expensive, but maybe I can get it together on the cheap with eBay.

In the mean time I have tons of stuff to clean and get ready for primer, at which point I will post a pic.

etham
28-06-2009, 02:16
Update:

I have 8 more Storm Guardians are on their way, but I'm still trying to find 5 more female guardian torsos. I also went a little crazy on eBay and impulse bid on some scorpions, spiders, and reapers. I'm kind of hoping I get outbid (but not really). :D

Right now I have about 1/2 of my unpainted Eldar ready for priming. I can't decide if I should move on to paint with the stuff that is already primered or hold off until I have the whole thing ready for some assembly-line actions. I'm leaning toward the latter. I have plenty to work on in either case.

etham
07-07-2014, 02:06
Alright. It's been five years since I posted.

In that time I stashed away all of my stuff, had two kids, bought a house, and did a bunch of other stuff. After my basement flooded and all of the cardboard boxes of junk disintegrated I broke everything out again and caught myself up on the game. A lot has changed.

I've also started modeling again because in the last five years I haven't really had any hobbies. It's good, but now I'm starting to get carried away with buying bits on eBay. Time to just build what I have and get it on the table. To that end I'll be posting again as a motivator to get things going. I'm switching gears on this thread to DW and forgetting about the eldar for now. I need way too many elves to do the exodite conversions I want to do so marines it it until further notice. I imagine it will be a while before this thread gets any traction, but hopefully I can get it to a place where it's interesting.

etham
17-07-2014, 01:56
Log Entry 013: Deathwing

This is where I stand so far...

33 standard terminators
1 from Black Reach
1 from Dark Vengeance
5 Deathwing Knights

6 terminators with legs from Death Guard Deathshrouds (will be magnetized to swap heavy weapons or assault arms. Can't decide which)

The Culln body will be Belial
The Typhon body will be the apothecary
The Tyberos body or the Red Butcher will be the Champion and the other will get a heavy weapon
The standard torso and emperor's child legs will be the standard bearer with Zhufor's power-fist/stormbolter combo and either a MK II or MK IV banner
1 vanilla Deathwing to complete the command squad

1 Librarian
1 Chaplain

And here's a close up of the librarian with his old-school grey knight helmet (a friend of mine was pissed that I cut that up).

And these are the regular Dark Angels...

Tanks, Bikes, Dreadnoughts, etc. are in boxes for later.

Everything gets built, then primed, then sprayed in base, assembly line style. The DW will be grey/white rather than bone, and the DAs will be a custom color I'm mixing that splits the difference between a charcoal grey and very dark green. Going for a per heresy feel but not your traditional black with red markings.

etham
24-07-2014, 02:09
Okay, so it turns out that 4 of the 6 deathshroud legs I have are either forgeries or forge world's quality control has checked out. You would not believe the number of bubbles, and the resin is much more flexible than other FW models I own. This is the trouble with eBay...

So after about a week of messing with them I think I have them in semi passable condition. My green stuff phase will be starting as soon as I get my hands on my last conversion piece, which is a Grey Knight terminator daemon hammer.

In other news, the Emperor's Children terminator legs I got for my deathwing standard bearer are looking very nice now that I cut off all the little curlicues. Just ornamented enough to look like a dress uniform someone in the color guard would have. He will be shiny compared to the rest.

And his fist is coming along, too. I was super nervous about cutting the power fist it took from Zhufor, but it's cleaning up nicely. The skulls and chain wrapped around the fingers probably would have looked fine, but it will be better cleaned up. Just gotta figure out how to smooth out the daemon face on the elbow and it will be done. Then I need to choose a head (deathshroud?) and standard(I have a Mk II or a Mk IV) to attach to the grey knight arm I will be using.

After that I'm green-stuffing about 150 models, so progress will feel slow, but it should wrap up in a flurry.

etham
26-07-2014, 03:44
Log Entry 014: Deathwing Command Squad Standard Bearer

I eluded to this model in the last post and he's in a photo from the last log entry, but I've made progress on cleaning the bits and wanted to show some details. These are iPhone photos in a dark basement, but I think you can see what's important. The harsh flash helps.

197442 197443 197444 197445

So far he's comprised of a standard terminator chest (the one with almost no detailing and a small banner), a chaos terminator back with the points trimmed away, some Forge World Emperor's Children terminator legs with the filigree trimmed away, the power fist + storm bolter from the terminator Chaos Lord Zhufor with the arrows and skulls and chain cleaned off, and a Grey Knight terminator arm. Forge World shoulder pads and the helmet will round it all out.

I'm really pleased with how well the legs and power fist cleaned up. They both had a lot of chaos decoration that had to go, but I left enough to give the model a dress-uniform feeling that someone in a color guard should have. The result is what I think the standard terminator armor should look like.

It's possible he will have two standards that will be magnetized to the right arm so I can swap them for game play, but I might just pick one and leave it. Right now I'm using a Forge World Mk III command unit standard, but I have the Mk IV version coming in the mail and I expect that to be a better match to the larger proportions of terminator armor. Either way, the wrist and flag pole need a lot of work (probably a full overhaul with brass tubing) in order to make it stand vertically and look like it's hanging correctly.

Right now I have it tacked together to test fit the parts and make sure it's all working as a composition. The big outstanding question is which head to use. I was thinking of putting Deathshroud heads on my entire DW command squad, but I'm planning to use a Red Butcher for the heavy weapon member of that squad (Cataphractii arms with a heavy flamer and chain fist, if you're curious), so I'm thinking those heads will get used randomly in the rest of the squads. Either these or the standard head will work nicely.

The next step is to finish cleaning up all of my terminator parts and start putting Green Stuff on them. This one will probably get a fair amount so that the legs match the rest of the armor better.

etham
28-07-2014, 01:19
Log Entry 015: Deathwing Command Squad Continued

Here are some WIP detail shots of the apothecary...

And the HF/CF...

The big question on the latter is whether or not to remove the chains. I feel like its necessary to make it not feel like a red butcher, but I'm concerned it will be too plain.

etham
28-07-2014, 16:56
Log Entry 016: Dark Angels Inspiration

I don't think I will have much to show for about a week because the things I am doing right now take a lot of time but don't really offer much in the way of interesting photography. I'm also waiting for a ton of bits in the mail. Time fore some Inspiration material!

197755 & 197564

First up are two Deathwatch Dark Angels. This is the starting point for my Greenwing, which (I think I mentioned before) will not be green or black, but somewhere in between. I haven't landed on the exact formula yet, but the base coat will be a mixture of Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black and XF-27 Black Green. Probably 2/1.

I'm trying to push them away from the salamanders but not get them too close to Black Templars or any of the other, truly black chapters.

This Fallen Angels captures the grit I'm looking for, While this paint would be straight-up black, the trim, including the insignia, is where I want to be.

These pre-heresy DAs have the right amount of checkerboard trim on them. I plan to use this sparingly throughout the army, especially on powerfists. I might change this to yellow and black diagonal stripes, or mix it up with red-and-yellow or gold-and-black checks in a few places. Not sure yet.

A fantastic painting or what I think is supposed to be a veteran DA marine. I'm loving the red-insignia-on-white pauldron.

There are some really nice trim details in both of these, although I don't intend to do my robes in bone or green. Right now I am leaning toward a wool grey with white, gold, or silver trim details.

197563 vs. 197565

This Cypher painting is close to how I want my librarians to feel; sort of an ashy blue grey rather than straight-up Ultramarines blue.

etham
28-07-2014, 17:37
Log Entry 016b: Dark Angels Inspiration (Vehicles)

I don't think I will have much to show for about a week because the things I am doing right now take a lot of time but don't really offer much in the way of interesting photography. I'm also waiting for a ton of bits in the mail. Time fore some Inspiration material!

197568 197569

I've also started hoarding tank bits and styrene to mod them up. I'm sure you've all seen the above images a million times, but they are where I am starting from on paint and insignia. The Dark Angels were originally black with army-green tanks, so that's my baseline.

197570 197571 197572 197573

There is also some awesome stuff happening in these Grey Knights land raiders.

Someone has already gone and done that Deathwing LR above, so this gives you a good idea of what I would end up with if I stuck to that scheme strictly.

A very nice Raptors rhino by Thomas Haller that I found on his blog, The Surface of Space (http://surfaceofspace.blogspot.com/2012/08/raptors-rhino-apc.html?m=1). This is pretty close to where I want to be with color and finish, and feels like it's used by an actual army.

Another very nice rhino hull from Stingersix at You and What Army? (http://whatarmy.wordpress.com/2012/02/19/predator-done-plus-more/), this time magnetized to hell and awesome.

And here is Queeg's beautiful DW LR from Musings from the Warp (http://houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/2014/05/22/deathwing-land-raider-mkiiic-and-rhino-razorback-fsv/) with an interesting take on how to deal with the cannons.

etham
31-07-2014, 14:34
Log Entry 016c: Dark Angels Inspiration

I found some more Dark Angels Deathwatch art, possibly by the same person who did the assault marine above. Here it is again, but bigger:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110328161611/warhammer40k/images/f/fa/Dark_Angel_DW_Assault_Marine.png

And the new stuff:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4y9jtz76C1rq1yzso3_1280.jpg

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120524213305/warhammer40k/images/a/a0/DA_Chaplain_capelan.jpg

I'm loving these, too.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4y9jtz76C1rq1yzso2_1280.png

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121027005343/warhammer40k/images/e/e3/Asdf.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120530202616/warhammer40k/images/8/8c/DA_Deathwatch_Deavastator.jpg

and this awesome image of Captain Mathias (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Deathwatch_Watch_Captain) of the Sons of Medusa (Iron Hands Successor)

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130105102400/warhammer40k/images/8/8f/Watch-Captain_Mathias.jpg

Some of these are way too grey for what I need. I'm going to push it toward black + green. But I'm really starting to like the idea of having a DA Green shoulder on them. I think it adds some character, and not having the bare metal left arm will help distinguish them from Deathwatch marines.

etham
31-07-2014, 15:14
Log Entry 016D: Dark Angels Inspiration (Deathwing)

I STILL can't decide on white vs. black for the Deathwing. I'm leaning white, but not bone (as I said above), but I recently stumbled upon this:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4y9jtz76C1rq1yzso6_1280.jpg

That's just bad ass.

AND DO YOU REMEMBER THIS???
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-HZLorI1B0w/TPFuhRzacOI/AAAAAAAAMdw/39Rza1ISzTo/s800/Deathwing%20black.jpg
(That checkerboard is so retro, in a good way!)

So I don't know.

White can look very, very good…
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/3/35945/2977939-belial.wh40k.png

https://houseofqueeg.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/dw-terms-f5-900px.jpg
(From Queeg again) (https://houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/terminators-40k-deathwing/)

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/09/Deathwing.jpg

…but I'm trying to avoid ending up with Christmas-wing (like below), which is why I keep moving away from the white.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120504071437/warhammer40k/images/9/92/Deathwing_Terminator.jpg

The other problem is the dinginess. This is trying to capture the bone color and it feels like it's just straight-up BROWN. To me it looks like a totally different chapter.
http://li.tl/i/3pysv.jpg

If you beat it up just right it can look good:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111130012424/warhammer40k/images/thumb/4/41/Deathwing_Veterans.jpg/519px-Deathwing_Veterans.jpg

Ron at From the Warp (http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/09/deathwing-squad-complete.html) has done a good job of keeping his white Deathwing from looking too brown:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JfgZjhJKuWs/Tlkgw3XoUkI/AAAAAAAAOnU/Pkvak-UtAmQ/s800/Deathwing%252520Terminator%252520Squad%252520full. jpg

I could mix it up and do both, like this, where the general population of the company is white and characters aren't (yeah, I know that's a librarian, but the idea still applies):
http://www.actiontrip.com/images/spacehulk_deathwing-04.jpg

swampman6
31-07-2014, 15:58
Personally i would go with all white. I know its the hardest of the two schemes but it really stands out and those 5 terminator above are just sensational. If you can replicate that then your armies will look immense.

etham
02-08-2014, 18:13
Personally i would go with all white. I know its the hardest of the two schemes but it really stands out and those 5 terminator above are just sensational. If you can replicate that then your armies will look immense.

Thanks for the comment. You're probably right. I think it will end up being white. Maybe the command squad will deviate slightly.

In other news, I got a shipment from Forge World today (deathwing shoulder pads and dark angels transfers). If anyone has been holding back on buying transfers from them I totally recommend it. I can do my whole army with one sheet. Here's a pic with a terminator for scale:

Bob Hunk
11-08-2014, 13:42
That's a nicely researched collection of DW source imagery. :) I prefer the white scheme personally, rather than bone.

etham
11-08-2014, 19:38
Thanks Bob,

That's seems to be the consensus, so I am going to move in that direction, but I am going to leave myself the latitude to make special character… deviate.

In other news, I've been swamped with actual real life work, so I haven't done much to these guys in a couple of weeks. I DID move my workspace out of the basement and into the attic office, though, which means I have sunlight and a much more inviting space to work. Plus it's next to my wife's desk so I can work on this while she's working on her projects instead of sequestering myself away like a hermit, getting more pale and hunch backed a bug-filled hole in the ground.

Lastly, in keeping with recent posts…

etham
11-08-2014, 19:41
Thanks Bob,

That's seems to be the consensus, so I am going to move in that direction, but I am going to leave myself the latitude to make special character… deviate.

In other news, I've been swamped with actual real life work, so I haven't done much to these guys in a couple of weeks. I DID move my workspace out of the basement and into the attic office, though, which means I have sunlight and a much more inviting space to work. Plus it's next to my wife's desk so I can work on this while she's working on her projects instead of sequestering myself away like a hermit, getting more pale and hunch backed a bug-filled hole in the ground.

Lastly, in keeping with recent posts…

Log Entry 016E: Dark Angels Inspiration (Deathwing Continued)

I found this on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281353621097) this morning:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/5vcAAOSwRLZT32VC/$_57.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/HQ0AAOSwEK9T32U8/$_57.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/h0EAAOSwPe1T32VD/$_57.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/UbwAAOSwVFlT32VA/$_57.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/UbMAAOSwVFlT32U~/$_57.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/CpkAAOSwd4tT32VD/$_57.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/ODMAAOSwDk5T32VA/$_12.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/CkIAAOSwd4tT32U-/$_57.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/5owAAOSwRLZT32U-/$_57.JPG http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/IBMAAOSwnDZT32VB/$_57.JPG

These models are probably the closest thing I have seen to what I have in my head for a fluff-appropriate and well-planned Deathwing. The white looks like ash smeared over black paint, which is what a livery commemorating the original 6 white terminators should look like, I think. The battle scarring and past-company livery on the shields ins a nice touch that is similar to something I was thinking of doing (my original plan was for that to be handled in the left-hand trim like the powerfists and such, justifying some checkerboard).

I'd like to know who made these. The eBay seller is called ramza2009, and a google search will bring up a bunch of Polish sites. He's not the absolute best painter I've seen and I think some of the posing choices are a little weak, but I'm considering this the bar for myself to beat.

etham
15-08-2014, 00:26
Log Entry 016F: Dark Angels Inspiration (Deathwing Continued)

Okay, last inspiration post for a little while since I have my station back together and have started working again. I'm solidly in the green stuffing phase now, so my progress may be irregular.

One thing that I have decided is that Belial won't be modeled on the Culln Terminator body after all. That body will be my Deathwing Company Master. Belial is going to be modeled on a Legion Praetor (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Legiones_Astartes/Space_Marine_Legion_Army_List/Legion_HQ/LEGION_PRAETORS.html) in Terminator armor that I picked up on eBay cheap (hopefully it isn't a forgery like my Deathshroud legs and the damage is limited to the sward as the description said).

As such I have been digging around for Praetor conversions. This is what I've found.

http://zweischneid.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/praetor-1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TJNfJH9imLg/Uoe3fgp4X6I/AAAAAAAAERI/P1HFErJtbsk/s1600/DSC04796.jpg
By John Stiening at 40k Hobby Blog (http://40khobbyblog.blogspot.com/2013/11/legion-praetor-in-terminator-armor.html)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/Sheep_06/Commisions/PraetorTerminator1_zpsd4277e64.jpg

http://forum.reapermini.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-43-0-81969500-1387762498.jpg
By Godlike on the Reaper Message Boards (http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/52892-forgeworld-praetors/)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27502&d=1398911500
By David Powell on BolsLounge (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?43913-Sons-of-Horus-Praetor-(WIP))

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a550/WarmasterPainting/3326_zpsea392bd8.jpg~original
On eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEATH-GUARD-PRAETOR-FORGEWORLD-PRO-PAINTED-40K-BY-WarmasterPainting-/251300882822)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/Blogs/BLOG%203%203%20sm.jpg
On the Forgeworld Blog (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/FORGE_WORLD_BLOG_3.html)

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/7/11/515815_sm-Space%20Marine%20Praetors.JPG
By Tomcra on Dakka Dakka (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/539154.page)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Jaq8upnaFOk/U2eOqjXNy9I/AAAAAAAAIzY/mO79ldflZck/s1600/UMPraetorTerminator01a.jpg
By MiniAkh Painting Studio (http://miniakh.blogspot.com/2014/05/forgeworld-ultramarine-terminator.html)

etham
15-08-2014, 01:04
Another two things I wanted to share:

This AWESOME tutorial (http://powellminipainting.blogspot.com/p/painting-white.html) by David Powel on painting white in a variety of ways depending on what you want to accomplish.

This beautiful Dead Terminator from Space Hulk by Bizzarewarstar (http://bizzarewarstar.blogspot.com/2011/12/space-hulk-dead-terminator.html).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fiWcPOchZtI/UGZp6_IEkHI/AAAAAAAABEs/Qw4qsnM6g-c/s320/Spcae+Marine2.png

MrKeef
15-08-2014, 03:19
I'd say contact the eBay seller with the nice terminators and have a shat with him. Judging by his models he's just as into the hobby as we are and I'm sure he could answer any questions. :)

Your images of the Darkangel deathwatch marines look like they're from the Fantasy Flight deathwatch roll playing book, you might want to check it out as they're pretty good for fluff even if you don't play. :)

etham
15-08-2014, 19:15
Log Entry 017: Deathwing Command Squad — Captain

This will be converted using the body from Commander Culln of the Red Scorpions (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Red_Scorpions/COMMANDER_CULLN_OF_THE_RED_SCORPIONS_.html) and the arms from Asterion Moloc, Master of the Minotaurs Chapter (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/ASTERION_MOLOC_AND_IVANUS_ENKOMI_OF_THE_MINOTAURS. html)

Step one was stripping the scorpion details from Culln. Step two is changing the Minotaurs emblem into a Deathwing Emblem. This is much more difficult that I expected.

Right now I have the soul ground away and have started bringing the feather details back into the wings. I went a little overboard wight he file, but it was necessary to make the right foundation for the emblem. I've also made a channel for the sword to fit into. It's the center of a Dark Angels icon that came with one of the GW DA kits, veterans I think.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone picture. I'm working on getting a better setup for pictures.

etham
18-08-2014, 01:48
Log Entry 018: Deathwing Assault Squad

I may have mentioned at some point that I picked up 6 Deathshroud legs from eBay, and I may also have mentioned that they were of very low quality production, so low that I suspect that they were forgeries. They were so full of bubbles and so soft that I had to work on them for weeks to get them into reasonable condition. I think the flaws that remain can be tweaked into battle damage.

I hope so because this squad is KEY to linking all of these disperate patterns of terminators together and synchronizing it all with my fluff. They are hybridized in order to make my mixed and matched command squad tie with my primarily Indomitus-pattern infantry.

Because I'm just using the Deathshroud legs and not the torsos, there's also quite a lot of modification necessary to adapt the Indomitus-pattern torso onto the Cattaphractii-pattern legs. I know it sounds funky, but trust me. It's starting to come together.

Mainly, you must remove the top of the front plate armor, but you also have to carefully file the hoses on either side and in the back down to create the dome shape that will socket into the torso. It's not hard, but it sucks up a lot of time.

You can see that it's still a little raw inside of the belt line under the chest. I need to remember to use my fine polishing file in there before gluing it next time. I think this one will be fine. If I cared more and felt like putting in the effort I would make some more hoses out of guitar strings for the front. I might still do it but right now I am not feeling it.

In the end this squad will get Indomitus-pattern heads and arms and be equipped with either TH/SS or LC. I might magnetize them so they could have either. I haven't decided yet. I'm sort of anti-magnetizing the general infantry because it means they aren't really posed.

etham
20-08-2014, 14:28
Log Entry 019: Deathwing Dark Vengeance Conversions

I love the Dark Vengeance terminator models, and they look soooo good when they're painted well (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0hshj4VLxE&index=5&list=PL138D815B69CCD025). I also think the Black Reach terminators were pretty nice. And the Space Hulk Blood angels are also great, especially for their dynamic poses. So I have incorporated some of these guys into my Deathwing. I have 6 DV (I bought 2 of the assault cannon on accident in a manic eBay session), 1 standard BR terminators (although I am looking for more), and 3 SH BA terminators that are going to need some minor converting.

Most of these guys are pretty straight forward conversions. The Black Reach guys don't really even need anything, although using Deathwing arms on them helps set them apart a bit. The Space Hulk guys that I bought were the ones that would require the least cutting (Brothers Noctis (http://spacehulk.gamepedia.com/Brother_Noctis), Omnio (http://spacehulk.gamepedia.com/Brother_Omnio), and Leon (http://spacehulk.gamepedia.com/Brother_Leon) with a bolted arm instead of the assault cannon). I'm still debating whether or not to try to get Brothers Claudio (http://spacehulk.gamepedia.com/Brother_Claudio) and Scipio (http://spacehulk.gamepedia.com/Brother_Scipio), being the coolest of the whole set but also pretty heavily emblazoned with BA markings, and I have my eyes peeled for Deino (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7nVLVaLVK8), who is also cool as *******.

But I digress. The Dark Vengeance models would be perfect if it weren't for one thing: there are two identical models in that kit, the two standard issue guys. Plus I have the two assault cannon guys, so in order to give some variety and not end up with any duplicate models I have looked into making at least one from each set a conversion.

The standard issue guys are pretty straight forward. You need one regular or death wing terminator for each. Take the chests from the DV terminators and mate them to the backs from the regular/DW terminators and vice versa. This is easier done with the Deathwing models because there is a cavity behind the head where the chests and backs meet up. It's a little harder with the regular guys, but if you have a fine drill it's pretty easy.

To get the regular chests onto the DV bodies you will need to carve away some of the part that fills in the space behind the head. It's a minor amount of cutting, but you need to be careful; 15 minutes of slow cutting and filing, checking every 2 minutes or so to make sure you don't over cut.

Here are the parts in question:

I'd say this is a beginner level conversion, just a little harder than using different arms than came with your kit, but it's a big payoff in terms of your entire army, because you get Deathwing iconography on a regular terminator and you tone down the amount of DW crap hanging off your Dark Vengeance guys. The two groups together start to look like they might actually come from the same Chapter.

etham
21-08-2014, 19:36
FYI, due to the limitations of the Warseer platform I've decided to start recording this in a blog and just post highlights in this thread.

Find it here: http://in-minima-forma.tumblr.com

etham
31-08-2014, 20:25
Log Entry 020: Dark Vengeance & Space Hulk Conversions

Some work in progress shots:

Here you can see where I had to cut the DV body to allow the standard terminator chest (left) to fit. Note that the two tabs on the standard chest need some trimming as well.

This is what it looks like together. The seem is as clean as you would get if these parts were meant to go together, and now I have the ability to point the head in any direction I like. Not sure yet what will happen with the right arm, but since I have two of these now I doubt they will be the same.

Above are the front and back of the three space hulk terminators I got on eBay. The Blood Angels iconography has been removed, which was largely not a problem. If you are going to try this I recommend getting unassembled models. These were all assembled, but I was able to get two of them completely apart. the third is proving to be the hardest to convert as a result.

I think one of the two bolter arms is going to go on one of the dark vengeance guys above. The other will stay. I have an interesting dilemma now which is whether or not to remove the imperial eagle from one or both of them and replace it with a Deathwing symbol, or to leave it. Might leave it on one of them.