PDA

View Full Version : Different Special Character Figures

El-Diablo
23-06-2007, 22:21
Bit of an odd one this, and the title really doesn't explain the idea properly.

To Business.

What would you guys think about playing against special characters that are not being played with the 'official' figures? Bringing me to the reason for the question.
I've always been a fan of Abaddon's background, but I cant stand the figure. Parts of it I like, but not as a whole. Im planning on a conversion of a more lord-like Abaddon, using the apropriate parts (claw, sword, head, few details) and the metal terminator lord as the base figure. This way i'll still have a nice big Abby, but with the additions of a nice big cloak etc.

What would you think to this?

(if this is more suited to PM+T please feel free to move it)

El Diablo

The Anarchist
23-06-2007, 22:25
seems perfectly reasonable to me, this game is all about the hobby. so if you want to take a figure and chnge it or a character and make a model for i, moe power to you!
one thing you might want to do for coutesy is tell your opponents before any game, as long as you do this i cant see any reasn for a problem.

btw ould love to see a pic oce your done.

The Orange
23-06-2007, 22:27
I'd have no problem with it. Heck I want to do some stuff like that myself. Old Geezer Aun'Va (The Space Pope) doesn't really appeal to me. IMO, conversions should always be encouraged.

Lindworm
23-06-2007, 22:39
I fielded a squad of thousand sons to suddenly become chosen khorne... and used LoTR goblins as chaos spawns... I wouldn't think badly of a creative replacement for a character.

El-Diablo
23-06-2007, 22:41
btw would love to see a pic oce your done.

Its a little way off yet but i'll make sure to share it.

El Diablo

Kanks
24-06-2007, 00:04
I don't see why not. I'm planning on doing the same with ragnar.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
24-06-2007, 00:09
yes, of course this is acceptable (assuming the model is as WYSIWYG as possible and you can tell it apart from other models in the army). it gets a little grey when simply using a standard model to "count as" a Special Character ("once i found out how much better value Eldrad was i carried on using my old Farseer model but now i call him Eldrad..."), but lots of people wouldnt even mind that (personally i wouldnt want to do it - it doest feel right to me but thats a personal thing - i wouldnt stop an opponent doing it though). :)

what really matters is what your opponents will think, not what we say. ;)

hope that helps

~ Tim

MaliGn
24-06-2007, 01:11
If the Model was clearly Abbadon or whoever then all's gravy to me, I would kind of object to *generic character model* being used as *uber special character* especially if their equipment didn't fit at all. but nah convert your own version, after all we all did it when they used to write rules for them and not release the models. (Huron BlackHeart anyone? - oh and I know he's got a model now, what 13 years after he was first introduced!)

Go for it!

Gaebriel
24-06-2007, 01:20
People use Special character models for conversions, so why shouldn't you use conversions for Special characters?

Stella Cadente
24-06-2007, 14:09
I'm doing it myself, I'm making my own Ezekiel out of random plastic parts, and using his rules to represent another grand master of Librarians

superknijn
24-06-2007, 14:14
Well, it's even intended to do so with DA, but I think other characters are okay if they look roughly the same (weapons, perhaps a few peculiarities like Creed's sigar or something).

I was personally thinking of converting Abbadon with the use of his Talon, Drachn'yen, his head and the soon-to-be-released plastic Terminator Lord. I might even use one of those plastic lightning claws and stick 2 bolters on it.

{edit} I almost spelled Drachn'yen right the first time! My memory FTW!

Greatoliver
24-06-2007, 15:18
I would be fine playing against a converted SC as long as I knew thta it was a SC!

As many have said, make it WYSIWYG and there should be no problems.

CommisarMolotov
24-06-2007, 16:00
There's an interesting little gaming custom that's referred to in White Dwarf this month where when you deploy the unit at the beginning of the game, you say what they are and what they're armed with. So if you were using Arbites as Inquisitorial Stormtroopers in a Witch Hunters army, you'd say something like:

"Here are ten Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, armed with shotguns and a grenade launcher and led by a Veteran."

I often use Phoenix Lord models as regular exarchs (just 'cause they're so damned PRETTY!), and so telling my opponent when I deploy them keeps 'em from bursting a blood vessel when they look at my army and see what they think are FIVE HQ choices!

Lord Malek The Red Knight
24-06-2007, 18:36
There's an interesting little gaming custom that's referred to in White Dwarf this month where when you deploy the unit at the beginning of the game, you say what they are and what they're armed with. So if you were using Arbites as Inquisitorial Stormtroopers in a Witch Hunters army, you'd say something like:

"Here are ten Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, armed with shotguns and a grenade launcher and led by a Veteran."

doesnt everyone do that anyway? :confused:

~ Tim

Rioghan Murchadha
24-06-2007, 23:40
Well, it's even intended to do so with DA, but I think other characters are okay if they look roughly the same (weapons, perhaps a few peculiarities like Creed's sigar or something).

I was personally thinking of converting Abbadon with the use of his Talon, Drachn'yen, his head and the soon-to-be-released plastic Terminator Lord. I might even use one of those plastic lightning claws and stick 2 bolters on it.

{edit} I almost spelled Drachn'yen right the first time! My memory FTW!

See.. His head is part of the main problem with the fig.. It is one of the stupidest terminator pinheads ever produced, with his 6ft tall topknot of DOOOOOOOM...