PDA

View Full Version : GW Re-cycling plastic

kaimarion
23-06-2007, 23:20
Do the GW near you re-cycle plastic from old sprues?
And if they do dont you think they should give out vouchers for certain the of plastic you give them to re-cycle?
Share your opinions here:)

DarthSte
23-06-2007, 23:26
They don't, as far as I know, but it is a good idea. Does your local store? How do they deal with it? I may pass the idea on to mine, if I can back it up with a bit of a decent argument!

kaimarion
23-06-2007, 23:44
Yeh my local do and they take them up to GD UK.
Helps the company.
Helps the gamer.
Helps the enviroment.

Everyone wins.

Templar Ben
23-06-2007, 23:45
No. The plastic only costs 1505 euro per ton. So you are suggesting that the stores collect this low value good and store is in the back (instead of boxes they can sell). They will then either reuse it by sending it to the UK mill or Memphis depending on location (and paying the resultant shipping) or they try to bring it to market after paying to convert it back to 6mm spheres.

Just from a dollars view it is a dreadful idea.

If you hate sprues a better idea would be to convince the company to cut as much off of it as possible before packing it. It would come closer to making sense in that case even though they would need to convert it before they can reuse it.

Templar Ben
23-06-2007, 23:54
Yeh my local do and they take them up to GD UK.
Helps the company.
Helps the gamer.
Helps the enviroment.

Everyone wins.

Do you know that they actually reuse it there or just that it is taken there? I called a friend at BASF and he said that due to the viscous flow depending on the machinery they may not need to convert it before use. He would need to know more about their machinery.

selfconstrukt
23-06-2007, 23:57
No. The plastic only costs 1505 euro per ton. So you are suggesting that the stores collect this low value good and store is in the back (instead of boxes they can sell). They will then either reuse it by sending it to the UK mill or Memphis depending on location (and paying the resultant shipping) or they try to bring it to market after paying to convert it back to 6mm spheres

They don't convert it back into spheres. I got a tour of Memphis a while back. they have a grinder that grinds up the plastics. There is a hose attached to it that sucks out the grind and puts it back into a hopper and mixes it with new plastic pellets.
Its pretty efficient, maybe they should look into a "drop-off" recycling bin at the retail stores in the UK and US.

Col.Gravis
23-06-2007, 23:58
And thus capitalism wins over enviroment every time.

That aside, yes its been talked about at my local lately I believe they are planning on doing such a thing, with regards to backroom space, half of its empty anyway, they keep sufficient stock in for the shop, whats the point in the excess?

Templar Ben
24-06-2007, 00:01
Would the meager savings justify the cost of storage and shipping?

They don't convert it back into spheres. I got a tour of Memphis a while back. they have a grinder that grinds up the plastics. There is a hose attached to it that sucks out the grind and puts it back into a hopper and mixes it with new plastic pellets.
Its pretty efficient, maybe they should look into a "drop-off" recycling bin at the retail stores in the UK and US.

I was saying to sell it on the open market they need to take it back to spheres sorry I must not have worded that clearly.

Perhaps it would make sense at WW and Memphis WoB but I really don't see it making financial sense otherwise.

Edit: The part about my friend at BASF was that some people can take waste products and don't require the pellets.

muskrat
24-06-2007, 00:12
When was the last "financially sensible" thing gw did?

Templar Ben
24-06-2007, 00:14
That is true muskrat.

kaimarion
24-06-2007, 00:16
A 5 voucher isnt the equal to 5 I think...its late need sleep cant think straight.

KITS AND BITS
24-06-2007, 00:44
GW is recyclying plastic because they have a responsability to the enviroment , plastic as we all know is massively recyclable and they should be doing as much as possible to re-use sprues frames,i have no doubt that the shop managers in all stores visit lenton in the uk a few times a year and they could take a large cardboard box of sprures that have been returned to the stores down to head office a few times a year or they could send it back via courier with the shops returns ???

Templar Ben
24-06-2007, 00:49
A 5 voucher isnt the equal to 5 I think...its late need sleep cant think straight.

Then again maybe it is. Do they pay per pound or how does that work? Maybe I should start mailing my sprues to you guys in the UK so you can get some money out of it. ;)

GW is recyclying plastic because they have a responsability to the enviroment , plastic as we all know is massively recyclable and they should be doing as much as possible to re-use sprues frames,i have no doubt that the shop managers in all stores visit lenton in the uk a few times a year and they could take a large cardboard box of sprures that have been returned to the stores down to head office a few times a year or they could send it back via courier with the shops returns ???

Is there a financial incentive? For instance can they get a tax break for using X percent post consumer goods?

scarletsquig
24-06-2007, 01:50
Recycling these is pointless, I mean, it's not like the oil is ever going to run out or anything... ;)

Templar Ben
24-06-2007, 01:59
Crude sure. I would think at that point though we would get our plastics from oil made in thermal depolymerization or TDP.

Hellebore
24-06-2007, 02:21
I don't know about you, but I get my plastic from ground up pixie spleens... and those will never run out.

Hellebore

Lord Malek The Red Knight
24-06-2007, 03:37
if you consider the polution caused by collecting the used sprues and taking them back to the factory, would this even be more enviromentally friendly?

:confused:

~ Tim

Gaius_Baltar
24-06-2007, 05:04
Well at the Montreal GW, we just toss the sprues into the recycling bin, and since we're in a mall, there's a pic-up for garbage and recycling.

grickherder
24-06-2007, 07:46
yeah-- it's styrene and can be recycled anywhere styrene is recycled. Sure, they have other additives and colours and whatnot, but so does every other type of plastic. Find out if your local recycling takes styrene and chuck in the regular plastics bin.

teh_soldier
24-06-2007, 21:28
A few months back, a small ad in WD mentioned this kind of recycling. They said you could drop off your sprues at Warhammer World for them to be re-used.

yabbadabba
25-06-2007, 10:03
Yes: The plastic is recyclable - as is the metal I think?
Yes: WW do recycle the sprues (sorry I don't know about the rest of the world).

It would be great if GW could set up a recycling programme. However the associated costs of a mass recycling program would outweigh the benefit to the company. No company is going to anything that costs unless they have some way of making that money back.

A few years ago my club approached GW to set up a recycling/credit scheme. The return to the club was pitifully small but we wanted to encourage others to do it as well. The answer came back that it would cost too much. And this was at the height of the LOTR money waterfall!

Before anyone starts pointing fingers at GW I think recycling is a global issue and I know that the Government in the UK does not do enough to encourage or support any company to recycle or be more environmentally friendly.

Bjorn Stormwolf
25-06-2007, 10:10
If your council give you a recycling box stick it in there, or the local tip should have plastic recycling facilities, the GW plastics are suitable.

I'm pleased to see GW recycling at WW but it really isn't their responsibility to provide a nationwide recycling programme, nor would it be financially viable for them to do so. I don't see tesco providing giant recycling bins for all the plastic crap their produce is packaged in......

KITS AND BITS
25-06-2007, 14:03
If your council give you a recycling box stick it in there, or the local tip should have plastic recycling facilities, the GW plastics are suitable.

I'm pleased to see GW recycling at WW but it really isn't their responsibility to provide a nationwide recycling programme, nor would it be financially viable for them to do so. I don't see tesco providing giant recycling bins for all the plastic crap their produce is packaged in......

actually tesco do provide them , firstly they have huge boxes for recycling pastic and card for customers such as carrier bags etc, most large tescos give a portion of the car park for recycling glass, paper and even clothing and shoes, plus every scrap of card and plastic packaging that goes through a tesco that doesnt go home with a customer is recycled , full wagons of paper card and plastic are sent back to distribution centers all over the uk .

Plus im sure the goverment would give them some form of grant if they wanted to set up a nationwide recycling programe

Bjorn Stormwolf
25-06-2007, 14:38
Kudos to tesco, very impressive, as you say they recycle the stuff they use at their place but don't really push for their customers to bring in all theirs to be recycled, that would be one hell of a job!

As for government involvement, they have to strike a balance between spending money on local council recycling and helping business.

As a hefty taxpayer and moral guardian of young minds I would prefer government money to go to councils to provide me with easy access to recycling facilities and trust the corporations to go green by themselves....... (niave and optimistic, what a combination...)

Oh, guys and girls, always check the sprues before disposal.... my war walker is missing it's stabilisers due to over eager recycling... whoopsy.

DarthSte
25-06-2007, 14:49
Interesting, as whilst sticking together some Knights Panther last night I seem to have misplace the half sprue with the arms and heads on it... I think it may have been recycled a couple of weeks ago, when I last put some of them together...

Osbad
26-06-2007, 13:11
Al UK manufacturing PLCs have to have an environmental responsibility policy as a mandatory requirement. Recycling plastic by collecting waste sprues is an obvious way to comply with this requirement. It is easy for them to implement, and looks good to the outsiders. Why shouldn't they do it? making it compulsory in all stores, some of which may have storage problems, is a bit off, but then they haven;t gone that far.

Templar Ben
26-06-2007, 13:37
Al UK manufacturing PLCs have to have an environmental responsibility policy as a mandatory requirement. Recycling plastic by collecting waste sprues is an obvious way to comply with this requirement. It is easy for them to implement, and looks good to the outsiders. Why shouldn't they do it? making it compulsory in all stores, some of which may have storage problems, is a bit off, but then they haven;t gone that far.

Thanks that explains it. There is a legal requirement.

Zaamel of the Deathwing
21-07-2007, 21:13
im amazed, i havent seen anyone mention the old Skullz programme ive heard so much about, where you left in enough sprue and got a special figure, hat would be lovely i got tons of sprues laying around because i use it for rubble and I beams and stuff

Rossco
22-07-2007, 00:33
I work in recycling, the government doesn't subsidise buisnesses for recycling because as someone already said, that money goes to local government to benefit the public and the household recycling schemes, which as they are the council tax payers is only right ! what they could do however is to fine private companies for not having effective recycling policies making it more profitable to recycle than not, this is much like the system the government used to convince local councils to start recycling, so it is already proven to work !

Zaamel of the Deathwing
22-07-2007, 09:43
i barely recycle because, ive seen that recycling many things arent good for the enviroment (aluminum is good) and why should i do it if i have to pay to do it? The only thing i recycle is paper because it becomes to much for the garbage can the rest goes into the trash (not metal & glass though they get recycled from time to time otherwise i just wrap them up and toss them in the bin)

MegaMale
22-07-2007, 13:15
i barely recycle because, ive seen that recycling many things arent good for the enviroment (aluminum is good) and why should i do it if i have to pay to do it? The only thing i recycle is paper because it becomes to much for the garbage can the rest goes into the trash (not metal & glass though they get recycled from time to time otherwise i just wrap them up and toss them in the bin)

so you barely recycle , other than paper ,metal and glass , well if you throw in plastic you would have a full house lol

Zaamel of the Deathwing
22-07-2007, 13:33
i only recycle metal and glass when it can tear holes in the garbage bag if i got a glass jar i fill it up with metal and broken glass, batteries do very good too

Colonel Fitzgerald
23-07-2007, 08:53
Do the GW near you re-cycle plastic from old sprues?
And if they do dont you think they should give out vouchers for certain the of plastic you give them to re-cycle?
Share your opinions here:)

I took a bin bag full of plastic sprues back to the store once, because it seemed SO wasteful throwing it away. They said they didn't recycle. Which is just such a shame. Imagine honw many models they could've gotten out of A WHOLE BIN BAG FULL OF IT?

RevEv
23-07-2007, 23:27
I asked one of the main mould manufacturers at GD UK a couple of years ago about recycling - mainly because it does make sense. He agreed but said that widespread recycling of GW sprues was not feasable due to the high risk of contamination from metal particles which block the small ducts in the moulds.

Apparently GW had looked at it, but the high costs of stopping the machines to clear the ducts made recycling not very cost effective.

Of course things may have changed since then due to the change in UK legislation.