PDA

View Full Version : The new Silent Hill thread

Catterjee
15-08-2005, 07:36
You know, we used to have a great thread going about all things Silent Hill that was sadly lost in the Great Portent Crash of '05. Debates, opinions, and interpitations of the games. Books and movies that might be of interest, that sort of thing. I miss that. Since I'm awesome I've decided I should at least try to bring that back.

My contribution tonight will be a summery of the various Silent Hill comics, released by IDW Publishing;

First we have Silent Hill: Dying Inside.

This was originally released as a 5-issue mini series. More accurately, it was a 2 part story, followed by a 3-part story branching off of issues 1&2. Written by Scott Ciencin, issues 1&2 featured art by Ben Templesmith (of "30 Days of Night" fame) and issues 3-5 were done by recent newcomer Aadi Salman.

#1&2 were about a psychologist with a somewhat shady background who finds a delusional new patient with a fear of the town of Silent Hill. In an effort to prove the town harmless (and be a glory hound), he takes her back and brings a video camera to document it. Issues #3-5 are about a group of goth-punks who get their hands on the tape.

Overall the stories were done well. I'd recommend them. IDW has released a trade paperback containing all 5 issues that goes for $20 US. Any decent comic shop should be able to order it for you, or you can give ebay a shot.

Next is Silent Hill: Among the Damned.
This one shot follows a young soldier suffering from survivor's guilt. His inner demons eventually lead him to Silent Hill, where they're not so "inner" anymore. Written by Scott Ciencin with art by Shaun Thomas.
Decent story overall, though I had to read it twice before I really understood it. The art is quite nice. Though its pricy, ($7.49 US for 48 pages) I found it enjoyable.

Now we come to Silent Hill: Paint It Black.
The creative team is again Scott Ciencin and Shaun Thomas. Again, $7.49 US for 48 pages.

This one has to do with a slacker artist, who visits Silent Hill and finds that in a way the town itself is his muse as he creates artwork reminiscent of H.R. Gieger and Clive Barker.

Oh my god, what the hell happened here? It starts off great... then the school bus full of gun-toting, survivalist cheerleaders show up. :wtf: Avoid this book at all costs.

Finally, we have Silent Hill: The Grinning Man
Written by Scott Ciencin and illustrated by Nick Stakal. $7.49 US for 48 pages.

State Trooper Robert Tower has patrolled the Silent Hill area for ten years and never seen its nightmarish, demonic creatures. Now its his last day on the job, and today The Grinning Man has arrived. Its going to be a rough last day.

This one was a lot better then Paint It Black, but then again, getting up in the morning and eating a bowl of cereal is a lot better then having cancer. To be fair, I've only read this one once, and I didn't hate it. I think I'll have to give it another read before I can really give this one a true review, as I still had the crapola of Paint It Black in the back of my head.

Now that I've done my little book review, I leave you all with this:
http://www.psxzone.opalnet.pl/Podstrony/Silent_Hill/under_data/zdjecie23.jpg

Skink Master
15-08-2005, 08:00
The only Silent Hill comic that I've read is Paint it Black, and verily I do agree that it sucked more than the dogs in Silent Hill 4.

It was confusing at first and lacked a firm plot line. Then the cheer leaders arrived and it went from pear-shaped to potato-shaped.

In relation to the link, having that picture on my wall would render me incapable of sleep...

Brother Frog
15-08-2005, 09:41
As to the film, I hope the actor playing the main role does the stupid Monty Pythonesque walk that was so heavily mocked in the first game (I didn't see any of the other games, so I don't know whether the characters in those also needed physiotherapy).

Also, we need to see the character(s) retracing their steps over and over again in search of items, and unable to open "Locked" thin, internal doors (because the puzzle hadn't been solved) while booting down much stronger structures.

Since the Resident Evil films failed to rely these crucial game features (and gave us two of the worst films of all time), our hopes rest upon Silent Hill.

Lord Lucifer
15-08-2005, 10:19
Frog, play Silent Hill 2.

Puzzles are inobtrusive, graphics and character animation are far better, and the storyline's a damn good one to boot.

Catterjee, if that's YOUR wall, you sir are a Legend!

As for the comics, I've read Paint It Black and deduced that it is NOT a Silent Hill comic. It is a smutty american pop-culture bowel-movement with the word 'Silent Hill' slapped on the front cover and two or three Pyramid Heads crammed in as Token Silent Hill Elements

Avoid.

x-esiv-4c
15-08-2005, 16:22
Personally i'm not a big fan on the SH comics, and now that they have bastardized christabella for the SH movie, my faith in it is dwindalling more and more.

Catterjee
15-08-2005, 23:09
Catterjee, if that's YOUR wall, you sir are a Legend!

Sadly not, but once the weather is a bit more in my favor I've been planning on painting a Halo of the Sun on the back of one of my jackets.

x-esiv-4c
16-08-2005, 16:49
What do you guys feel about Sean Bean playing the protagonist in the SH movie?

Catterjee
16-08-2005, 17:25
Hard to say. It really depends on who the protagonist is. As far as I know they haven't specified if they're basing the story on one of the games, or doing something all new. He's a decent actor, so for now I'll give him the benifit of the doubt.

Catterjee
27-08-2005, 04:52
So I've decided to whip out my Greatest Hits copy of SH2 and try to get the UFO ending, so I'm going to have to play through this game several times.

Currently, I've just met Maria. During the initial conversation she decides to prove she's not a ghost by having James touch her. "Feel how warm I am" I think she says, and grabs his hand. The next camera angle is obscured, but James' reaction is "You're really not Mary"

I'd forgotten about this part. Given the obscured camera angle, I suppose Maria held James' hand against her breast?

On a different note, Mannequins sure are fun to kill with the chainsaw.

Lord Lucifer
27-08-2005, 06:24
That's the impression I got

Mary was shy and slightly prudish. James' feelings of lust towards her therefore feel immoral to him, thus it becomes a demon to be used against him, in the form of Maria.
She's all things James 'wanted' Mary to be, but wouldn't want if she were... if you catch my meaning

Nazerth
28-08-2005, 05:27
Sadly not, but once the weather is a bit more in my favor I've been planning on painting a Halo of the Sun on the back of one of my jackets.

Heh, I've done that to my jacket already. I was bored with a plain military green jacket, so I grabbed my trusty sharpie and the first thing I drew on it was the Halo of the Sun on the back. I'd snap a pic if I had a digicam (or camera of any sorts...) in the apartment. Kinda wishing I made it bigger, but I wanted a nice, clean one, so I had to work with what I had for circle drawing aids (a larg-ish plastic cup was the best I could come up with).

Heh, thus far I've added checkers to the pockets on the right side, a bunch of band pins and other assorted pins to the left breast pocket, flames on the cuffs, the afformentioned Halo of the Sun, the Keywork from Coheed and Cambria on one shoulder, and the Irken Empire symbol to the other... but this is hardly the place to discuss my jacket customization... heh...

On a different note, Mannequins sure are fun to kill with the chainsaw.

This is very true, having just started another play through of SH 2 recently... works out great, because my roommate is always out with his girlfriend at night, so I can spend prime Silent Hill playing time (in the dark with no one around) with my fav installment of the series :D!

Catterjee
28-08-2005, 06:27
You know, I'd forgotten about one moment in SH2 that always freaks me out a little bit. Its as you enter apt 209 in Blue Creek Apts. (the one with the note on the door, that you use the Lyne House key to enter). Just as you walk in there is the distinct sound of someone mumbling something. I've never been able to make out what it is.

In my progress this play-through, I just ditched Maria in the hospital. I'm going for the "Maria" ending this time around. I've never seen it or the "Leave" ending, so I figure why not?

Nazerth
28-08-2005, 06:38
That always gets me too... though, not nearly as unnerving as those unseeable "mumbler" creatures in a few of the cells in Toluca Prison... made damn sure to dispose of them, because I really couldn't take the sound.

Thus far I've only been able to get "Leave" and "In Water" endings, shooting for "Rebirth" this time.

Catterjee
28-08-2005, 07:40
That always gets me too... though, not nearly as unnerving as those unseeable "mumbler" creatures in a few of the cells in Toluca Prison... made damn sure to dispose of them, because I really couldn't take the sound.
They were freaky, yes.

Thus far I've only been able to get "Leave" and "In Water" endings, shooting for "Rebirth" this time.
I've gotten "In Water" (what a depressing ending to get, especially first), and "Rebirth" though both of those were on my original PS2 copy, and I'm now working to the Greatest Hits version. So I don't count as having gotten them on this save file, but since I have a completed regular SH2 save on the same memcard, I was allowed access to the chainsaw.

Maybe I should put it on easy difficulty, so I can whip through the game, and not go insane from playing it 6 times in a row.

Lord Lucifer
28-08-2005, 12:14
I've seen, in this order:
Leave - Touching and sad. I think the note was even sadder on this version
Rebirth - Wait and see, I won't spoil it
In Water - Tragic, felt there were some subtle changes in the game this way...

Skink Master
28-08-2005, 19:41
One of the most disturbing things in the prison area was the gallows. Out in the middle of a large field, and so utterly quiet. Quiet, that is, until the running started. As it came closer and closer my heart rate increased rapidly, until it finally receded into the distance...

...only to come back again! Ugh!

I could probably make a list a page long about all the scary and disturbing crap in Silent Hill 2, but I won't, it'll bring back painful memories...like the hospital...damn I hate them...

Catterjee
07-12-2005, 05:20
Arise from your grave!!!

So, having put it down for a while, I picked up my GH SH2 again and finished my current play-through tonight. As I stated earlier, I was shooting for the "Maria" ending. Much to my surprise I ended up with "Leave". I found that odd because I'd read the Brady Games strategy guide so I'd know what and what not to do. My only guess is that I'd kept my health consistently high during the game, which is a requirement of Leave. But everything else I did was based upon Maria. :confused:

On thing that pleased me was on the summery screen at the end, it informed me that I've seen 3 of 4 endings (It doesn't track the Dog ending or UFO), so I guess my completions of the original Silent Hill 2 do count for the Greatest Hits version, even though they use separate save files. :cool: So that means I have In Water, Rebirth, and Leave.

I guess now I go for Maria, then Dog, then UFO. I'm thinking I'll take a few days break, and then set the difficulty on easy, so I can breeze through it.

Skink Master
07-12-2005, 08:19
Only played through the game once. I'd love to do it again.

Might have to get myself a PS2 at some point.

Lord Lucifer
07-12-2005, 08:45
Why?
PS3 will be backwards compatable

Unless you just want it cheap, then that'll be no problem
And Blockbuster's got a copy in, pre-played, for dirt cheap
Christmas is coming up, need a present?

Skink Master
07-12-2005, 09:14
That's an idea, christmas shopping.

Screw that, I'll just break into all your bedrooms and chain and lock your door from the inside. Fairly appropriate present don't you think ;)

Oh, and I'll be entering and leaving through a hole in your bathroom too.

Probably be getting a PS3 instead of a PS2.

Catterjee
08-12-2005, 04:53
Why?
PS3 will be backwards compatable

Well, for one thing, one can go out to a store and get a PS2 right this minute. Does the PS3 even have a release date yet?

As an aside, SH2 was on the Xbox as well.

Lord Lucifer
08-12-2005, 08:43
I used my real-life information abilities to realise that after purchasing a PC the Skink is too skint to afford a PS2 and by the time he has appreciable funds, PS3 will probably be available

And X-Box may have SH2 and SH4, but no SH3, and no backwards compatability for SH1 (remains to be seen whether the same can be said of PS3, I doubt it, but here's hoping)

Skink Master
08-12-2005, 09:38
I have $7 left in my bank account. Nuff said.

Catterjee
08-12-2005, 21:05
Ok, rather then have my thread further derailed...

That Pyramid Head sure is freaky, huh?

Anthalas
10-12-2005, 18:52
How come no one has posted the teaser trailer (http://www.thelovens.co.uk/paracam/sh_tease.wmv) or the stills (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/postercontest/download_art.html) from the movie yet?

Before you ask, yes, that is Pyramid head (http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2268/silenthill9yu0te.gif) in the trailer.

The teasers and the fact that Akira Yamaoka is doing the music, is making me believe this will be the first good videogame film made.

Prince_Tyrion
10-12-2005, 19:15
WTF IT'S YOU!!! Now you've ruined my attempt to make you into a legendary myth! :p

Anthalas
10-12-2005, 22:34
I doubt I'll be around for long. You can always claim these posts were made by an imposter. :p

Skink Master
11-12-2005, 09:55
Anthalas, I want to have your babies.

It actually looks like it's going to be good. Anyone know who's directing it?

Anthalas
11-12-2005, 12:26
Christopher Gans. The same fellow who did Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Catterjee
27-12-2005, 07:32
Anyone know where I can get some decent pictures of the Silent Hill 2 endboss?

Catterjee
30-12-2005, 08:31
Anyone know where I can get some decent pictures of the Silent Hill 2 endboss?
No one, huh?

Well anyway, a new Silent Hill comic came out today. Here's my review:

Silent Hill: Dead/Alive #1 (of 5). $3.99 US. 24 pages. 4 covers avalible by Nick Stakal (Silent Hill: The Grinning Man), Scott Keating, Ted McKeever, and Steven Perkins. I got the Steven Perkins cover by chance (The comic was on my pull list, and I didn't see any other copies on the shelf), and I think its the best of the bunch.

Written by Scott Ciencin and illustrated by Nick Stakal. Thats the same team from Silent Hill: The Grinning Man, for those keeping score at home.

As with all the other Silent Hill comics, the scene-to-scene progression is a little disjointed. In the past I'd tended to blame it on the art, but now I believe its more because of Scott Ciencin's writing style. He doesn't use caption boxes to establish location, and I think it would help things a lot if he did.

As for the story itself, this one seems to be a direct sequel to the Silent Hill: Dying Inside mini. Since its a 5 issue mini, with each issue being 24 pages, that means Ciencin has 120 pages to work with. He's introduced several characters this issue (a few of them being from the previous mini) and with that many pages, he shouldn't be pressed for "screen time" like he was to a degree in the 48 page one-shots.

The good: Tons better then Paint It Black. Interestingly enough though, there is a reference dropped to the one good part about Paint It Black; some of the painting show up, and it looks like they may be important. The use of Paint It Black stuff makes me wonder if anyone/thing from Among the Damned or The Grinning Man will show up.

There are a few visual references to Silent Hill 4, which was cute.

Being part 1 of 5, the story hasn't totally gelled yet, but its interesting enough so far. To sum it up: Lots of potential. I just hope they don't blow it.

The Bad: Christabella from Dying Inside is back, and she's even more foul mouthed. For those that don't know, she's basically a demon trapped in the form of a young girl. Very evil. The thing is, Ciencin has decided to emphisize the "the cute girl is EVIL" aspect by having her drop F-bombs seemingly every third word. It gets really gratuitous.

The art, while suitibly dark and moody for the subject matter, can be hard to follow. To put it kindly, some of the panel-to-panel transitions need work. Combined with the aforementioned complaint about Ciencin's tendancy to not set the scene, and I found myself going "Wait, what?" a few times.

The price. $3.99 is the standard price for a 24 page IDW comic. Its pretty expensive for the page count. To be fair though, the production quality is extremely high, and they toss in a couple extra pages which have prose stories in them. The only ads are a couple pages at the back, and are for other stuff IDW is publishing. So I think the total story, ads, and prose comes to about 32 pages. Its a double-edged sword. $3.99 got me a high-quaility comic with 32 total pages. But today I also got the latest issue of JLA:Classified, which has similar production values, a slightly lower page count (22 pages of story, and several ads), and cost $2.99. But then again, DC Comics is owned by Warner Bros, so maybe they can afford a price point that the much smaller IDW cannot.

The neutral: Scott Ciencin's interpitation of Silent Hill's history is a bit different from my own. Not necessarily incorrect (Its been a while, I have to go brush up), just different.

Overall: Decent story held back by a few flaws in storytelling technique. But lots of potential. I give it a 3 out of 5.

Catterjee
20-01-2006, 20:56
Silent Hill movie trailer is up:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/silenthill.html

It looks like it won't suck!

:D :D :D

It looks like its shaping up to be a "best of" Silent Hill.

x-esiv-4c
20-01-2006, 21:40
Yeah...
I'm not sure about Pyramid_head's roll in all of this because...well....we all know.
Nonetheless, it has sean bean in it....Which is teh win.

Catterjee
20-01-2006, 23:37
Found a better link:
http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1401398&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400
Sean Bean and the Borg queen. Should be cool.

Anthalas
21-01-2006, 08:06
Here's a downloadable version: http://mp3content02.bcst.yahoo.com/pub06root3/Pub06Share12/yahoointernal/8/21763902.mov

Also, an interview with Roger Avary: http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2005/09/roger_avary_tal.php

One thing that worries me, looking at the trailer, is that they might overdo the "creepy little girl" angle. It's a part of the games and all, but it's so overdone in horror movies these days. But then the air raid sirens and the nurses hit me, and the bloodflow to my massive erection stops me from thinking about the downsides. Count me in with the cautiously hopeful.

Catterjee
21-01-2006, 19:29
Here's a downloadable version: http://mp3content02.bcst.yahoo.com/pub06root3/Pub06Share12/yahoointernal/8/21763902.mov

Thank you very much for that Leeloo.

Also, an interview with Roger Avary: http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2005/09/roger_avary_tal.php
Very interesting read.

I wonder what other Konami title is being hinted at towards the end?

I don't see Contra or Vandal Hearts making for a gripping movie, so maybe Parasite Eve? Though that had a film in Japan already, and the franchise seems basically dead.

Castlevania would seem the obvious choice, though personally I think its too soon after the Van Helsing disaster.

Hmmm... maybe Metal Gear.

Maybe the question is: will Silent Hill make game designers more comfortable? Guys like Uwe Boll have done a lot of damage, and I don’t know that one good game adaptation will undo all of it.
Smart man.

One thing that worries me, looking at the trailer, is that they might overdo the "creepy little girl" angle. It's a part of the games and all, but it's so overdone in horror movies these days.
I had the same concern, but I realized I played the first Silent Hill long before I ever saw movies such as The Ring which play with the "creepy little girl" motif, so I'm willing to give the film a bye with that. I suppose the question is how the movie going public who are not familiar with the games will take it.

But then the air raid sirens and the nurses hit me, and the bloodflow to my massive erection stops me from thinking about the downsides. Count me in with the cautiously hopeful.
I'm in much the same boat, though I think I'd use the phrase "cautiously excited"

Man, those nurses looked great. In fact, all the monsters did. :D

Anthalas
22-01-2006, 07:50
The official website (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/site/index.html) has some new stills up. Some are very cool indeed.

Catterjee
26-01-2006, 06:39
Well, Silent Hill: Dead/Alive #2 came out today. Scroll back and read my review of #1. I'll wait.

Back? Ok.

Well, pretty much everything I said about #1 applies to #2.

The good: The scene-to-scene transitions were better done this time around. And there was some captioned dialogue of a dog, which was actually kind of neat.

The huh?: There are a few scenes with characters talking to themselves, and other nearby (like, 1 foot away) not noticing. Quite odd, espcially considering the dialogue in question. I'm not sure if this is a plot point, or some sort of desire not to use thought ballons.

The bad: Some of the dialogue seemed rather forced. And the protagonist from the awful Silent Hill: Paint it Black shows up. With guns. Not sure I like the direction this is going. But he made reference to the protagonist of the first mini, and there are no cheerleaders, which is a good sign.

I'm getting the impression that this mini is trying to tie together all of the previous comics. Could be interesting, could be... unfortunate. But, like the idiot fanboy I am, I will buy the next issue.

Catterjee
26-03-2006, 01:33
Well, I finally got my hands on the (delayed) 3rd issue to the Dead Alive mini.

Honestly? I'm going to save my self some time. Go read my reviews for #1 & #2. Same thing.

It's not really a bad mini. Just kind of average.

der_lex
29-03-2006, 12:00
I just noticed Pyramid Head is actually going to be in the movie...

And he actually looks cool.

I'm starting to really get my hopes up for this movie...
Hope I won't be let down.

Goq Gar
01-04-2006, 19:25
LOOKS AMAZING XP

Cant wait for survivors battle vs armless jimmys (zombies watever)

Catterjee
06-04-2006, 00:31
Silent Hill: Dead/Alive #4 came out today, though its mislabled #3 on the cover.

I have the same complaints as usual, but I'll give them credit for trying to tie up loose ends from the previous mini and one-shots. It's certainly a flawed mini, but at least they're not just phoning it in. One issue to go until my final verdict.

Anthalas
08-04-2006, 23:14
Colour me hyped.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8909/120tt.jpg
http://media.putfile.com/Silent-Hill-On-Set
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UZZSRMG5 (Bigger version of the above link)

Yos
08-04-2006, 23:43
Is that James Sunderland in the first link(the one with what looks like a flashlight)?

Morathi's Darkest Sin
09-04-2006, 00:17
Okay now I'm drooling in anticipation for this movie.. became my fave survival Horror genre title after number 2, and although I haven't played 4, I do look forward to the first outing on the next gen consoles.

Love that music though, and glad to see they used it even if only in the trailer. Can't wait.

Zheardok
09-04-2006, 02:07
Okay now I'm drooling in anticipation for this movie.. became my fave survival Horror genre title after number 2, and although I haven't played 4, I do look forward to the first outing on the next gen consoles.

Love that music though, and glad to see they used it even if only in the trailer. Can't wait.

Keep in mind that usually video game based movies are really bad. Not all, but at least half.

AgentZero
09-04-2006, 04:32
My contribution tonight will be a summery of the various Silent Hill comics, released by IDW Publishing;

First we have Silent Hill: Dying Inside.

The IDW books, I think with Templesmith, or Templeston, I forget his name, were always visually exciting, but the stories weren't that good.
The cheerleaders were cool though:p

I am in no way excited for the SH movie.
Have you seen House of the Dead?:wtf: That's what I am fearful of.
Blood Rayne and the RE series too, all bad.

Skink Master
09-04-2006, 08:22
It looks good so far. They have the bleeding walls and essentially all the monsters from 2.

Look on the brightside, it's not a Uwe Boll film.

Lord Lucifer
09-04-2006, 10:59
I am in no way excited for the SH movie.
Have you seen House of the Dead?:wtf: That's what I am fearful of.
Blood Rayne and the RE series too, all bad.
Thankfully 'Dr.' Uwe Boll is NOT directing Silent Hill.
Uwe Boll is responsible for those highlighted cinematic abortions, and I believe he does horrible films in general, not just horrible game films.

And Resident Evil blew because of the story and setting, which it appears Silent Hill won't be suffering from.

I'm confident Silent Hill won't be a bad movie. Whether it's a particularly good, or even great, movie is yet to be seen :)

Despoiler
09-04-2006, 13:05
also remember unlike the rest the makers of the film actually played the game.
still no sign of a release date for europe yet though (crosses fingers for it to be soon).

(O.T. talking of the RE movies i found this:
http://www.starseeker.com/films/rezevil3.htm WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Morathi's Darkest Sin
09-04-2006, 13:29
Keep in mind that usually video game based movies are really bad. Not all, but at least half.

It looks much better than the average tosh that has come out in the last few years though. The trailer actually reminds me of the game in alot of good ways. Some trailers I've seen of late have been so poor you know the movie is going to absolutely awful before you even think of picking up a ticket.

Sadly Uwe has a lot to answer for in that respect, I'm not suggesting there where no bad game based movies before him of course, its just his have been unbelievably bad and all very recent.

I'm hoping this film will start moving things in the right direction again, and then a well done Halo film could push everything in the right direction.

Despoiler
09-04-2006, 23:33
i just seen a 30sec teaser trailer for silent hill on C4 here in England. seems there releasing it same day as US. although Cert is still tbc (as its rated R in US i'm guessing its going to be an 18 here -maybe 15 at a push although I personally doubt it).

(heres something I learnt: apparently the only CGI in the whole movie is the fog in the town)

Catterjee
20-04-2006, 07:24
Well, as many of you know, here in the States the Silent Hill movie opens on Friday. It looks pretty good IMO, so I've been getting myself hyped up for it. I re-watched Jacob's Ladder the other day, read some Clive Barker and Lovecraft, that sort of thing.

Oh, and I finally got off my ass and did something I first mentioned back in the Silent Hill thread on Portent. I customized my coat.

Here it is hanging to dry, after I washed off dust and whatnot.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/Catterjee/coatcomplete.jpg

And a close up
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/Catterjee/coatfinal.jpg

Skink Master
20-04-2006, 08:06
Dude, how much would it cost to get one of those?

Darkseer
20-04-2006, 08:10
I want one of those coats!

Except I'd paint/print the pentagram from Hellsing (anime) on it.

Skink Master
20-04-2006, 08:17
And on a non-coat related topic, I found this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQB-41E0nE0&search=Silent%20Hill

MTV Preview, some of you have probably already seen it. It's pretty well done.

polymphus
20-04-2006, 09:03
hey guys

SILENT HILL SUCKS ASS

What a constructive addition to the thread :eyebrows:
Allow me to introduce myself, I am Polymphus! *introduces self* Anyways. Recent I've been seeing a lot of supposedly "scary" movies and quite frankly, they're not scary. I want to be scared dammit! I've also heard Silent Hill is pretty scary. So. Thoughts on the games, recommendations etc. etc.
Cheers
Poly

Skink Master
20-04-2006, 09:16
Before Silent Hill, movies like Scream scared the crap out of me.

After Silent Hill, I find them rather tame.

Silent Hill is the only thing to give me constant sleeping problems. Bumps in the night take on a whole new meaning after playing the games for just a few hours. I became afraid of the dark all over again, and fog unnerves me. Abandoned industrial areas creep me out like never before.

Shall I go on?

In short, grab SH1 if you can find it and play it for as long as possible. Then continue with the rest of the games. You'll love them.

Lord Lucifer
20-04-2006, 10:36
Polymphus, track me down and borrow my copy of SH1 :p

SH1 is the most 'scary' game of the series, the atmosphere is confusing, disturbing, and menacing throughout.
It's possibly the least straightforward of the games.

SH2 is far more of a slow-boil of a game, playing much more on emotional content and subtlety to disturb the player. In terms of character development and acting, this game delivers the best complete performance.

SH3 relies strongly on experiences of the first game to achieve its' greatest impact. It's a fairly decent title, but lacks the presence that the previous two titles have.

SH4 is the least connected to the series, I've heard it was intended to be the beginning of a new series of games, but Konami decided one 'survival horror' series was enough, and converted it to the Silent Hill continuity about halfway through the project.
The control scheme and combat system has been reworked a little, and it's more action-based than the previous titles, but lacks the psychological impact of the previous titles. Its' greatest strength beyond isolated gameplay (gameplay out of context of the series) is that it gives items of information on the history and 'world' of Silent Hill

If you want to scare yourself, play the first game.
If you want to be drawn into the story to help facilitate the suspension of disbelief, go for the second game in the series.
Use the last two to simply flesh out the previous two titles.

Chem-Dog
20-04-2006, 13:38
I haven't played anything past 2 it got extremely confusing.

x-esiv-4c
20-04-2006, 14:16
What did you use to paint that on catterjee?

Catterjee
21-04-2006, 06:06
SH4 is the least connected to the series.... lacks the psychological impact of the previous titles.
I'm going to have to disagree with Luce here.

Edit:
What did you use to paint that on catterjee?
I explained it over on the Silent Hill Forum. You may need to register to view the post, not sure:
http://www.silenthillforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=371160&postcount=14

Lord Lucifer
21-04-2006, 16:28
I'm going to have to disagree with Luce here.
It was set outside of Silent Hill proper, using only trace elements from Silent Hill.

As such, it's less connected to the previous titles and the town as a whole, but does act as an excellent reference point to fill in gaps in information for the other three titles.

The psychological impact is definately smaller than SH1 and 2, and SH3 takes most of its' impact from 1.
When you learn that James actually killed his wife, then either kills himself or leaves with his delusion it's a massive thing. It's touching in many ways, the story, and down right disturbing.
And Harry's revelations on Cheryl's 'birth', the devotion he has for her regardless, and the fact that ultimately he has to let go and lose her is a punch in the guts

In SH4, it doesn't hold the same impact for me. It just doesn't

Catterjee
21-04-2006, 20:05
The psychological impact is definately smaller than SH1 and 2...
I wouldn't use the word "definately" here. It was smaller for you, perhaps, but not for me.

In SH4, it doesn't hold the same impact for me. It just doesn't
For you. For me, the entire backstory to the Man in the Coat floored me. Just as disturbing, if not moreso then SH2. The sequence after the conclusion of the last battle (but before the endgame sequence) made me feel downright bad.

Catterjee
22-04-2006, 06:31
So I just got back from the film. I liked it.

Skink Master
23-04-2006, 06:42
It doesn't come out here until August. This angers me.

So you "liked it" liked or did you "ZOMG! IT WAZ TEH C00L" liked it?

Catterjee
24-04-2006, 04:46
Well, I don't want to spoil anything... I'll just say that although they didn't follow the video game storyline exactly, they stayed true to the concept. I'd give it a 4 out of 5. And the transition between realities is really awesome.

I went and saw it again 24 hours later, if that tells you anything. I hardly ever do that.

Skink Master
24-04-2006, 07:50
Spoilers bad. No worries, I don't want any, I just wanted to make sure that it really didn't suck balls.

Skink Master
27-04-2006, 09:57
A mate of mine just showed me that Silent Hill is a game that is banned in Australia.

:evilgrin:

Thoth
30-04-2006, 21:27
Long-time veteran of the games. Going to see the movie again in a couple of hours.

Not the best film ever (mediocre script), but they *perfectly* captured the look and feel of the game with the pacing and visuals. Also, every single note of music in the film is taken straight off the game soundtracks.

Catterjee
02-05-2006, 06:38
Also, every single note of music in the film is taken straight off the game soundtracks.
With one very appropriate expection.

Thoth
03-05-2006, 05:33
With one very appropriate expection.

Tee-hee. Yes, there is that *one* exception :)

After seeing it again, I think that my opinion of the film remains largely the same. I'm really looking forward to a DVD release with a director commentary track - I'd like to hear what the film's creators have to say about some of the choices they made.

If there's something that made me really irked with the film, it was that the credits disn't give credit to the creative team from the games, and in the cases of the score and creature design this is (IMHO) remiss enough to be insulting.

Non-spoiler 'is it just me or...?' question:

In the first scene where Rose is standing in Silent Hill shouting for Sharon, has the locket she wears been replaced by one of those '0' shaped metal clips with a twist-lock?

Catterjee
19-05-2006, 07:55
Well, the final issue of Silent Hill: Dead/Alive came out this week.

Yeah... more of the same. I think it really did a poor job of wrapping up the plot.
Anyone who's considered snagging the inevitable trade paperback... save your money.

Catterjee
03-06-2006, 06:28
Hmmm... this is interesting.

I don't want to name names, lest I get someone in trouble, but I got a chance to talk to someone connected to the Silent Hill: Dead/Alive series. They admited that they didn't think it worked as well as it could have.

Lord Lucifer
02-09-2006, 11:34
FINALLY seen the movie, it was FINALLY released here in the ****-end of nowhere.

Gotta say, I quite like the movie for sheer 'Oooh, nice' factor. It could've been a lot better, sure, and we'll always prefer that it adhere closer to the original story as it is so similar, but all in all it was an enjoyable view

Anyone else get the feeling they were intentionally leaving it open for the possability of a sequel?

Catterjee
24-09-2006, 06:24
Anyone else get the feeling they were intentionally leaving it open for the possability of a sequel?
Oh, of course they are.

From what I understand Konami is pleased with how it did. The film made most of its budget back in the US, costing about 50 million, and making just under 47 million. Worldwide it raked in about 94.5 million. Toss on DVD sales on top of that.

Pretty decent for a film with a modest advertizing campaign and no huge names attached to it. I'd be a little surprised if there wasn't a sequel.

x-esiv-4c
25-09-2006, 18:14
So, any word on the next SH game?

Big_Bear_Scot
25-09-2006, 20:46
So, any word on the next SH game?

There is a SH coming out for the PSP.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64615

Lord Lucifer
18-11-2006, 03:28
Seen some concept images for Origins on various sites, can't say much for their authenticity, but I can definately say they helped me with designing a Silent Hill roleplaying game. Scaring the ever-lovin bejaysus outta a room full of stoic adults is... strangely rewarding :D

I'm a little concerned about the 'action-oriented' angle the designers are increasingly alluding to in more recent games. I'm worried it's going to kill the atmosphere a little, and to be honest, I was tickled pink by the occult and near-cryptic puzzles in the series, especially in the first titles. I like that aspect more than the 'killing monsters' side of things.

There's no point emulating Resident Evil when we've already got Resident Evil. Celebrate the differences and accentuate your strengths. Atmosphere, confusion, and bizarre thinking games.

Those are my feelings on it anyway.

Hlokk
21-11-2006, 18:24
I'm a little concerned about the 'action-oriented' angle the designers are increasingly alluding to in more recent games. I'm worried it's going to kill the atmosphere a little, and to be honest, I was tickled pink by the occult and near-cryptic puzzles in the series, especially in the first titles. I like that aspect more than the 'killing monsters' side of things.

There's no point emulating Resident Evil when we've already got Resident Evil. Celebrate the differences and accentuate your strengths. Atmosphere, confusion, and bizarre thinking games.

Those are my feelings on it anyway.

To be fair, I'd be a bit more in favour of more action and less "wander round to find random door". I found some parts of SH2/3 to be very very obtuse and dull and after wandering round deserted dark rooms for hours I thought "sod it" and reached for the reset button.

Im not saying it should be like Resident wevil 4 (best game ever), but perhaps it should be a bit more specific in what you have to do. Also, it should have less messages saying "this door is broken/locked and will not open" (which irritated me greatly in SH3)

Lord Lucifer
22-11-2006, 01:01
Backtracking because you're completely stuck does suck.
But action-oriented doesn't help that, because, you know, the only difference between an action-oriented SH and an atmospheric* SH in that regard is that once the monsters are dead, you're still walking around a desolate area with no clue what to do, but there's a couple more monster corpses to look at

Not that great a difference, really.

*by atmospheric I mean it relies more on that atmosphere of the game than on the action sequences

My concern is the focus on rough-and-ready action, it makes it seem like Konami is trying to make a poor-mans Resident Evil, instead of celebrating the differences and the things that make the Silent Hill games unique.

I loved RE4 for what it was, a cheesy action-movie slaughterfest on console. But it wasn't even remotely scary or unnerving. It's like watching an 80s-era Arnie film, lots of action, cheesy one-liners, patriotic flag-waving, just try not to think too hard about it :p

The thing that really picks out Silent Hill in my mind, however, is how... well, thought-out it is.
The fact that SH2 explores themes of Freudian psychology is pretty damn cool in a way.
The ambiguity of plot in the first game was absolutely awesome. You could play the game over and over and pick up on little details, spend hours thinking about the plot and what really was going on.

The imposing atmosphere, especially in the first title, the little warping of reality was incredibly unnerving.
The combat gameplay has never been the greatest in the Silent Hill series, but that's not what's made it so popular or compelling.

I'd just hope the creators keep things like that in mind.
We don't need Konami to design Resident Evil games, that's what we've got Capcom for

Atherakhia
22-11-2006, 15:50
OMG we have a Silent Hill thread?
When my head's on a bit straighter I may contribute

slaaneshes_own
22-11-2006, 17:42
Well, I am not the biggest SH nutcase, but I saw the film, and hoo-ee! I loved it! In particular, the sirens... They just sent a shiver down my spine, because it's got that "WTF... what's that noise? Where's it coming from? What's it mean?"

Also, the whole bit where Pyramid Head turns up, and when he strips that woman of her skin... that had a SH-obsessed mate of mine squee-boinging all around the room...

Refuse to play the games at night tho... my imagination gets the better of me...

Joe

Atherakhia
23-11-2006, 09:45
I am a complete SH nut
I'd explain exery concept in every game, the underlying psychology, mythology and imagery given half the chance

And I did enjoy the film. Before I saw it i thought "at least it's not by Uwe Boll", but after I gave it a hearty thumbs up for essentially being a remake of the first game (up until the church bit).

Was annoyed slightly that they only included Pyramid Head because he's a fan favourite (if you look into what he was, then his appearance (along with his appearance in one of the graphic novels) makes no sense whatsoever).

slaaneshes_own
28-11-2006, 00:07
Oh....

I just like the film for being a groovy film. As I say, I have an overly active imagination, and if I play games/watch movies that have slight psychological overtones, and they can be as slight as possible, but it'll still get my mind ticking and bam! There'll be no sleep for this guy tonight... all-night website coding sessions just to stay awake and keep my mind off things - thus the Resident Evil games are a no-no for me, after about 7/8 o clock....

Joe

Lord Lucifer
29-11-2006, 12:40
Resident Evil? :confused: (this would be a blinking smiley if it were possible)

You're creeped out by Resident Evil?

Lordy me...
Yeah, it might pay to avoid playing Silent Hill.
OR, extremely worth it to enjoy messing yourself up something awful :D

I managed to run a roleplaying session (GURPS if anyone's interested) set in Silent Hill, using elements from the fiction/games, that managed to unnerve a room full of adults. Lights on and all

It's smart horror, that's for sure. It's the subtle stuff that works best, with the odd shock or gruesome moment. It just gets you in the right frame of mind

You really should play the games, though.
Find a night where sleep isn't important, grab a console, and run through Silent Hill 2.
If you can find it, give 1 a shot first. Terribly dated graphics now, but in terms of atmosphere it just can't be beaten

der_lex
29-11-2006, 15:42
Well, the original Res Evil did have one or two good 'shock horror' moments to it (the dog jumping through the window in one of the halls comes to mind).

It's not a spot on the general feeling of utter creepiness in the SH games, though, which tend to be scary even when nothing is actually happening. I remember the bit in SH3 where you were in an elevator with tons of creatures crawling around outside of it. Every time you passed them, you expected something to happen, to suddenly be attacked... The fact that it never happened didn't matter, the effect was there.

Suggestion is usually better than gore anyway. Just watch the original Haunting and the remake to see a prime example of that.

That and the mythology and psychological themes of the series is what makes me love it, and going the way of Res Evil 4 would be a terrible idea (I am one of the few people who really didn't like that game. I gave up on it after a few hours).

Atherakhia
29-11-2006, 16:16
Resi 4 wasn't a bad game, but it was lacking, and Silent Hill should not be going the way of an Action Horror game. It is and always will be a survival horror.

Now Christophe Gans just needs to make a Silent Hill 2 and 3 films....

Lord Lucifer
29-11-2006, 22:01
Personally I'd be more interested in seeing the Konami crew making a movie themselves, to see if they've got the cinematic chops to work with the medium of cinema as well as they do with interactive entertainment (you know, games)

Gans made a great movie based on Silent Hill, but there was significant difference in feeling between the two... significant enough, anyway.

Res 4, was an action film. That's what it was, and it was fun for it.
But the Resident Evil series has never been scary, in my opinion. Yes, there's shocks, but they're usually handled so poorly that you know they're there before they happen. ANY time you end up in front of a large mirror, something's jumping through.
Res. Evil is the game where you get to shoot zombies and wierd genetic experiments. I enjoy that, sure enough, but I won't pretend it's scary or particularly clever

Silent Hill, on the other hand... armed with a board with a nail in it, bizarre monstrosities, and deeply involving storylines... it draws you in enough for the fear to take effect.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
29-11-2006, 22:45
I pretty much agree on the Resi, Silent Hill comments here, I like Resi games but with Silent Hill its becoming a passion, I now have comics and other items releating to the world and I'm desperate for someone to do a full scale town map I can have on my wall.

Like Lord Lucifer I've also been inspired to build an RPG set around Silent Hill, but mine was a homage not actually Silent Hill as in the game and is set in the World of Darkness mainly for Werewolf the Apocalypse and many of the ideas fit nicely.

I am hoping for a 2nd film and would really like Sean Bean to take the central role as for a long time he's been one of my favoured actors.

I think the one thing I am most desperate for right now is some kind of confirmation Silent Hill is going next gen... and personaly I'd be quite happy with a remake of the 1st game like Resi got for the Gamecube... although my wife reckons it'd make a great Horror sandbox RPG with a bit of work. Open up the entire town and throw in various plots to follow depending which character you pick, who you meet first and who you interact with.

Lord Lucifer
30-11-2006, 02:16
Passion? Nah, obsession :p

Wanna give some details on your Silent Hill homage game?

I found that thinking extensively about the game, listening to the complete soundtracks (in-game music as well as the OSTs) while working in a butchery, tended to have a... notable impression on me. It was a wierd few weeks, I'll admit :eek:

The game set up is for three SH-virgins and one player who has played the games (Skink Master)
Four characters pre-made for the game, two uni students (one studying theology, the other psychology), the girlfriend of one, and an amnesiac cop.
Wrote up a page on what each character knows, set the game up with a car crash involving the two students and the cop. One student fine, the other unconscious, possibly in a come, and the cop getting a case of amnesia. Girlfriend contacted, arrives at hospital (Alchemilla), and the game starts.

Have a few plotlines embedded in the characters, more of their past and traumatic experiences to be revealed the more they progress through the game (at the same time learning more of the towns' traumatic history), and eventually they'll probably identify goals or objectives they need to resolve

So far... they've found the fourth floor of Alchemilla Hospital :evilgrin:

der_lex
30-11-2006, 23:23
On a Silent Hill-related note...

I'm about to paint my Tzeentch horrors for my fantasy campaign, and instead of the usual pink/blue colour combination I want to give them a 'Silent Hill' look instead. Now my question is if any of you has a good idea how to get the skin that sickly-looking? I'm thinking of using Bubonic Brown as a base colour, but after that I'm not so sure...

Any ideas?

Morathi's Darkest Sin
01-12-2006, 01:52
@Lord Lucifer - basically I don't wanna go to far off topic, but basically its called Aphasia Falls (a place to forget yourself) and its got a simular layout, decent sized town on a lake, an amusement park called Asgardian gates and a few others bits and pieces.

Its the spirits and dodgy stuff going on that connects the ideas, oh and the town hasn't been abandoned yet.. the main character a High school student has had 23 game sessions so far (Total 79hrs playtime for 9 in character days which isn't bad) and only had her first change two days ago IC. Shes starting to discover something strange is going on and its to do with her birth.

Its one of my fave RPG games at the moment and its keeping my interest up for the Silent Hill games as well, going to buy Silent Hill 4 soon even though I wasn't sure I liked the separation from the Town.

@der_lex - I'm doing something on those lines for Ysis the Viper, basing her on a Nurse, basically I've chosen to paint her up as if fresh and then bring her back down to nasty with inks and highlighting. I'd suggest something simular, paint them as normal, then bring them back down to pale and then use inks to make the dirty effect.. if you look at the monsters in Silent Hill they do sort of glisten in an ugly kind of way.

edit - oh and by normal I mean dark fleshy colour not blue and pink. :)

Lord Lucifer
01-12-2006, 02:07
Der Lex, convert a Lord of Change into Pyramid Head :p

Morathi's, you've had 79hours of playtime? You lucky begger! :eek:
I planned my game for a one-night session... two sessions so far, and it won't be picked up until next year.

Just so you know, the town hasn't been abandoned... well, not in recent history (it was abandoned twice, over a century ago, thanks to plague and before that, an unspecified reason)
Silent Hill IS populated.
Even in SH4, Silent Hill is a populated area. Henry Townsend spent some time there and took some photos etc.

The abandoned town bit only comes up in less-canon sources, that being the comics, and the movie (which is partially based on Silent Hill, and partially based on the real town of Centralia, which had to be abandoned because of a massive underground coal fire)

It also appears abandoned in the games, but it only appears this way to the unstable characters in the games.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
01-12-2006, 02:18
Makes sense, so thats what the three layers discussion was at rotten tomatos.. I should have read it. :D I was assuming it was abandoned because of the games. Cheers for that info and that actually makes some more sense of what's being going down in my game.. Its a lot closer to Silent Hill than I realised, heh, although in the WoD the Umbra could be used to represent the abandoned side of the town anyways, it is in effect a shadow realm.

As for the hrs yeah I'm happy with that, since we moved up here to Suffolk we have no gaming group, but I can quite happily run one on one games with the wife every week. We're doing 4hrs on average a week at the moment. It was strange with this game though as we ran the first 9 games back in early 2005 just after the nWoD was released but before werewolf the Forsaken came out. When We got Foresaken we hated it and the game died for over a year. Then a few months back I was seeing the trailers for Silent Hill and I thought why not go back and shift it to Apocalypse, and we haven't looked back :)

Although if we aren't playing this game we're doing another, I'd have to admit that RPG's are top of our gaming tree, wargamming is a fun and enjoyable second though.

der_lex
01-12-2006, 02:21
Der Lex, convert a Lord of Change into Pyramid Head :p

Damn, that actually sounds tempting :D

As for the paint, I'll probably go for bubonic brown and a bit of khaki with elf flesh/bleached bone highlights, and a lot of brown and red ink for the gore effect...

Your Silent Hill RPG's sound great, by the way. Maybe a Call of Cthulhu-like madness point system might be an interesting thing to include?

Morathi's Darkest Sin
01-12-2006, 02:29
I think that pyramid head conv could be awesome. :)

As to madness, WoD has a great derangements system so it could easily be implemented should I think she needs to make a test, which after thinking how our last session ended that might be a good move. :evilgrin:

Lord Lucifer
01-12-2006, 03:53
A PH/LoC conversion would be time consuming, but fairly simple.

Turn staff into spear, turn the loincloth-like extension of the robes into a full skirted robe, change the hand around to something a little smaller and gloved, build a PyramidHead helm around the long neck (for support and strength)

And then?
File away all the damn feathers and texture it like skin, and replace the feet with boots.

And leave a mangled corpse behind him.

The layers thing in Silent Hill... I don't think there's any real solid 'level's of reality there, it's basically what the town drags out of you based on what's in you, the dirty secrets and painful memories you have secreted away.
Personal delusions.

The town itself exists normally, but the hellish 'layers' and 'visions' simply represent states of consciousness, levels of lucidity in the main characters. It is their perception, rather than the world around them, that alters.

I could go on about this for hours... and will
But there's a game I've gotta get to :)

But thanks for bringing life back into this thread ;)

Lord Lucifer
13-02-2008, 12:40
Apologies for the massive 'Bump' but... Silent Hill 5, eh?
Soldier returns from duty to town, finds his mother is near catatonic and his father and brother are missing, and the town is shrouded in fog.

Apparently taking its' emotional cue from SH2, buuuuuuuut is a combat-focussed game, more so than any other title in the series.
Thoughts, people?

der_lex
13-02-2008, 13:04
I like the idea that it's taking its cues from the best game in the series, story-wise. Combat-focused could go either way...SH could do with a less clunky combat system, but wouldn't want it to become another Res Evil 4.

Will probably end up picking this one up for the PS3 when it comes out either way, though.

Lord Lucifer
13-02-2008, 15:28
I just hope it manages to retain its atmosphere considering the numerous forced combats
Akira Yamaoka is supervising, which could be a good thing, or not... but at least he's promised to make a new soundtrack for the game :)

scratchbuilt
13-02-2008, 15:54
I've liked all the silent hills I've played (The room - the one before that - and half of the one before that), looking forward to another. They have great plot and atmosphere.
I liked the movie too - though I felt the beginning was stronger than the end. I like to think of silent hill as being psychological rather than paranormal. So the church back story would have been better off ditched.

firestorm40k
13-02-2008, 17:42
I've played all of them, Second is the best, an all-time classic game, and the only game I know of where you end up thinking 'is this supposed to be real, or is it all in the character's messed-up head?'

Having just got an xbox360, I'll definitely check out numero 5. BTW, if anyone has seen any of the concept art, have you noticed the resemblance between the character and Daniel Craig? :eyebrows:

Lord Lucifer
14-02-2008, 00:25
I expect that should make casting easier if they make another movie and decide to rip off the latter two games, then :p

Scratch, fully agree with the psychological vs. paranormal, and definitely agree they shouldn't have bothered with the 'church' storyline.
Whiny-fanboyism though this may appear to be, I believe the movie would've been better if it religiously followed the first game as opposed to mixing in elements from the first three games and, notably, the less-canon comic releases.
With a male lead searching for his daughter, it's nice to change up the gender role a little like in the original. And the true story of what Dahlia Gillespie did was simply vile, and was a PERFECT way to challenge your idea of family and love
There's so much subtle brilliance in the game series that the movie failed to account for.
Shaking up the gender role is brilliant. You've got a father looking for his adopted daughter, upon whom he's emotionally dependant, making her a crutch to support him after losing his wife three or four years ago, whereas Cheryl's counterpart, Alessa Gillespie, was cynically used and manipulated by her mother, Dahlia, to act as a conduit for the seemingly 'divine spirit' of Silent Hill upon whom the cult was formed, that Dahlia names Samael when she manipulates Harry to her own ends. Furthermore, when it is discovered that Alessa is not strong enough yet to channel the full spirit, that only part of its' power manifests, Dahlia leads the plan to draw the spirit by causing her daughter to suffer, burning her to within an inch of her life, and performing a ritual to bind her to mortality, so that she suffers in abject agony, never healing and never dying, for seven years!
Her pain calls into existence the child found by Harry Mason and his wife, later named Cheryl. So we've got a loving, devoted father that would sacrifice anything to save an adopted daughter that he found on the side of the road, and we've got a cruel and manipulative mother who tortures her blood-relative daughter in order to gain power within the Cult of Silent Hill. This subtly challenges the idea of family being strictly blood, challenges the predominant role of the mother being the carer and the father being less attached to their child, and really explores the nature of love.
Then there's the fact that within the series, the women have always been the more powerful figures. They've had the answers, they've known what's going on, they've rarely, if ever, been the victims (the exception being nurse Lisa Garland).
Dahlia knew what was happening, and used Harry. Cybil Bennet was gung-ho and sure of herself, and better equipped for nightmares than Harry was. Alessa was the one who took her vengeance on Dahlia, not Harry, just as Lisa took her vengeance on Kaufman. Maria in SH2 was a far stronger figure than James, Heather was the most headstrong and assertive (and downright violent) protagonist in the entire series to date, and Claudia was so fully in control of pretty much everything it was almost impossible to shake her up.

Arghhh, I gotta go, but there's a LOT of subtlety in the games.
Scratch, play SH2 to completion.
Firestorm is dead on about it being the best in the series, easily the most emotionally involving story, it packs a real punch
After that, despite the horribly dated graphics, I'd rate SH1 as the next best. The most genuinely frightening game I've ever played, and so open, you can spend hours figuring out just what the hell happened in the game and what the story was