PDA

View Full Version : Are characters units?

red120
24-06-2007, 05:09
As the title says...

More specifically -

DOW writeup says that any unit can be taken as a rare choice.

Can you take the mercenary general, wizard lord, paymaster, etc. as rare choices?

Why or why not? (RAW, etc.)

Braad
24-06-2007, 07:04
Characters do count as units on their own, IIRC...

But the list that shows which army can take which DOW units, does not show any characters except for the named ones, like truthsayers or asarnil etc... so as far as I know, you can't take them in any army other than a DOW army.

This list:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/gaming/dogsofwar/assets/dogs_of_war.pdf

mav1971
24-06-2007, 07:15
Read page 6 an then page 110 far as targeting unit with magic a character can be considered a unit. But going with the spirit of the rules i'd say no. And anyone trying to take more characters than allowed by using a rare slot would be a cheesy player.

ZomboCom
24-06-2007, 18:28
Q. Can other Warhammer armies hire non-named Dogs of War characters
(i.e. Mercenary General, Hireling Wizard Lord, Paymaster, Mercenary
Captain, Hireling Wizard) as a Rare choice?

A. No, you can't field these types of Dogs of War characters unless
you're a Dogs of War army.
S. Ian Hawkes - Warhammer Design Team

Mad Doc Grotsnik
24-06-2007, 18:58
A character is a character, a unit is a unit.

Characters come from Lord and Hero slots. Units come from Core, Special and Rare when designing your army.

Once battle is underway though, any enemy model on the table, regardless of unit strength, is defined as a unit for the purposes of spells, which means Gork Warpath is perfectly allowed to stomp on your Wizard hiding in the woods.

Festus
24-06-2007, 19:13
Hi

ZomboCom - never, ever, trust the Direwolf... :(

MDG - A character is a unit -of course he is. It is even spelled out explicitly in the BRB.

I can only assume that you overread BRB, p.6, left column, 3rd paragraph. Or did you?

Festus

inq.serge
24-06-2007, 19:38
The mercenary characters clearly state that they take hero/Lord slots. So no.

Named characters don't take slots, so you get more heroes that way, like the V copy Vespero*, or the Pizarro copy with same name, or Leopold or Luca or Ricco.

*= Both are mask-wearing swashbucklers seeking out vendettas.

T10
24-06-2007, 20:25
The definition of a unit is not does not translate directly between army selection and table-top. A character and a regiment are two separate entries in terms of army selection but if the character joins the unit on the table top they form one unit.

The point? I doubt anyone is willing to argue that you can take a regiment of DOW pikemen joined by one or more DOW characters as a single Rare choice! Duh!

Though there isn't anything specific that states that you can't take a mercenary wizard in a Dwarf army, I can't see how it would be fair to sneak extra characters into the army by such means.

I'd suggest you either ban them altogether (as a house rule) or allow them but have them count as both a Lord (or Hero) choice and a Rare choice (as a house rule).

-T10

red120
24-06-2007, 22:29
Q. Can other Warhammer armies hire non-named Dogs of War characters
(i.e. Mercenary General, Hireling Wizard Lord, Paymaster, Mercenary
Captain, Hireling Wizard) as a Rare choice?

A. No, you can't field these types of Dogs of War characters unless
you're a Dogs of War army.
S. Ian Hawkes - Warhammer Design Team

I don't think DireWolf FAQ is an official rules set though...

Ninsaneja
25-06-2007, 00:29
Yet the answer seems to be more or less from an official source... Warhammer design team?

Festus
25-06-2007, 07:31
Hi

It really doesn't mean a thing, as most WHFB Designers have made grave mistakes in answering rules questions in the past.

Some even made matters so bad, that the rules were unplayable if the *clarification* *cough* was used. And don't mention A.Reynolds around here ;)

The Direwolf is a fan project, it may or may not be useful, but it is full of mistakes, actually.

Festus