PDA

View Full Version : Official July 2007 White Dwarf (USA 330, UK 331 etc) Feedback Thread Mk II

Wintermute
16-06-2007, 16:40
Its time for yet another White Dwarf Feedback thread, this time for the July 2007 issue (US 330, UK 331 etc).

If any of you wish to make more general comments about WD, please will you make them in the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972).

I would like to make a couple of other requests. If you post the score you have given to the current WD on the thread, would you please explain why especially if you have voted 1 or 10. I think this is useful (and interesting) for other WarSeer members reading the thread, it also provides useful feedback for others who read the thread which may include GW Staffers.

The other request is related to the previous one. Do not criticise people for posting their score and views about WD, I believe we are all entitled to voice our opinions without the the fear of them being criticised.

As always, all off-topic posts and spam will be deleted without notice.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

sheck2
16-06-2007, 19:34
Why I gave it an 8.

- I liked the two ME tiles (which apparently are going to be sold as direct only for $8!? :( ), three markers, and two pennants.
- GOOD : The ME material demonstrating tons of varients with lots of pictures was great...
- FAIR : new empire sprues (how to paint, what's on 'em, how to use, etc.)...I am not an empire player but good material if you are
- FAIR to GOOD : BoC vs. Empire Battle report. Not a bad report just some of their regimental selections are well...strange.
- Stuff with regard to LOTR and 40k...
- GOOD : how to make desert boards, terrain, etc.
- GREAT : some interesting conversions

WD is very glitzy full of photos showing off their new stuff. I like that as this is a visual hobby...more pictures the better. It has stuff for everyone mostly aimed at experienced players not vets.

Is it worth $6 or $5 for subscribers? Yes. Heck I'll read it across one to two hours and reference it later...and it costs the same as every other mag I get, which I read for a hour and throw away.

Osbad
16-06-2007, 21:31
It has stuff for everyone mostly aimed at experienced players not vets.

Sorry I think this must be a typo (easy done, I'm a complete fumble-fingers myself!) Did you mean to say "inexperienced" or something else? Just the above statement seems self-contradictory.

sheck2
16-06-2007, 21:45
Sorry I think this must be a typo (easy done, I'm a complete fumble-fingers myself!) Did you mean to say "inexperienced" or something else? Just the above statement seems self-contradictory.

No. I meant that...

For me, there are three categories of players that are grouped based on game understanding (rules, stats, how to do things, etc.), gaming talent (how good they are at applying the rules, tactics, etc.), hobby creativity (choosing the right paint combo, making interesting conversions, etc.), and hobby skill (executing said creativity to create a good looking model).

- new or novice...low in all areas
- experienced...they are medium in several of the areas
- vets..are high in at least two and medium-high on the others

IMO the WD is aimed at the upper novice to middle...the experienced players. And as such offers neither the vets (too little and simplitic) nor the novices (not enough detail or moe than they are capable of understanding) too much value. With that said, some of the WDs do not do a good job at providing value to any group, but I think this issue does.

Arhalien
17-06-2007, 11:48
Hmm, I do get frustrated when people don;t justfiy their votes; the purpose of this thread is so people who are't subscribed to WD can get other people's opinions on the magazine so they can decide whether it's worht their time buying it or not.
A simple vote of a 1 or a 10 (or anything else for that matter) without justification in a post is no help for anyone as they have no idea why that vote was awarded; a 10 because it was worth it or because of 'fanboi-ism', or a 1 because it deserved it or because of 'GW hate'. Please, justify your vote or it has no real validity.

Wintermute
17-06-2007, 13:59
Hmm, I do get frustrated when people don;t justfiy their votes; the purpose of this thread is so people who are't subscribed to WD can get other people's opinions on the magazine so they can decide whether it's worht their time buying it or not.
A simple vote of a 1 or a 10 (or anything else for that matter) without justification in a post is no help for anyone as they have no idea why that vote was awarded; a 10 because it was worth it or because of 'fanboi-ism', or a 1 because it deserved it or because of 'GW hate'. Please, justify your vote or it has no real validity.

I said as much in my opening post, but with fewer words :p

Wintermute

Arhalien
17-06-2007, 18:00
I said as much in my opening post, but with fewer words :p

Wintermute

As people are always saying about WD; more words are better :p

Light of the Emperor
18-06-2007, 14:47
I gave the US version a 7. I'm seeing some improvements over the past few issues. There has been a lack of decent 40K content (barring the BA list) but this is mainly due to the Nemesis Crown campaign gearing up.

The opening pages are as usual...Bigger pictures and fonts than necessary hyping all the new stuff along with events and notes.

On the bright side, we did get a 2 page spread on the new chaos models! It's about time that WD reveals this stuff before Warseer or others get their hands on it. The painted possessed look soooo much better!

I don't play fantasy, but I bet people are getting tired of seeing the Empire. They got their new artillery pieces AND were in the batrep.
I did like the articles on the new map tiles. I might pick some up and convert 'em for 40K. The articles showed all the various ways the tiles can be used including an ingenious way to create coastlines.

The 40K section, as said before, was non-existant. In fact, I can't even remeber what other 40K articles there were which says something about how important they are.

I didn't even pay attention to LotR so I couldn't tell you anything about that.

jfrazell
18-06-2007, 16:18
Sorry, is this the issue with BA part one? I am no longer a subscriber but acquired that edition due to the BA insert and can provide comment as a non-subscriber if thats what we're talking about.

Light of the Emperor
18-06-2007, 17:30
This is the second part of the army list. They also noted in the WD that the list will be available in .pdf format August 1st.

fwacho
21-06-2007, 03:57
this white dwarf kicked butt. I gave it a ten. It took me four and a half hours to read it!

Special kudos to the editor for having PART II of the Blood Angels rules start on same page (76) as the last issue (That's really a cool idea to help us referencers).

There were senarios, paint workshops for beginner and expereienced. good terrain making article for deseret boards. even the LotR stuff was okay. And they admited Chaos Dex coming in September! (actual news) Even the battle report was interesting.

This was the best white dwarf in a while. It's like they took everything we've been asking for and did it.

Thanks for listening guys!

Totally worth my subsciption. keep it up and I'll be back for another year!

CommisarMolotov
21-06-2007, 12:34
For years, I used to by White Dwarf without fail every month...

But this issue and the last one were the first I've purchased in quite a while. I'm just so happy that WD has resumed publishing RULES and ARMY LISTS instead of being merely a glossy, monthly, $6 GW catalog!

I'm thinking of sending Jervis one of those floral-arrangements-in-a-coffee-cup as thanks!

clovis
21-06-2007, 12:37
I gave it a 9, it has been a while since i realy enjoyed readind a WD. I love the news part( fantastic new CSM!). I like the battle report and the army list for blood angels.
Very happy!!

Wildkard
21-06-2007, 12:59
I gave it an 8. I really enjoyed this issue...the free mighty empires tiles have persuaded me to definately buy the game they are very cool!

The only thing which I felt let this issue down was the battle report. I really don't like the style and find it very confusing to read!

Everything is definately heading the right direction though!

Huw_Dawson
21-06-2007, 13:53
You know, I just hopped on this library computer now and noticed that I could see this poll without even being logged in. I could also see who voted what... Suffice to say I think I've just mentally proved a point I though of quite a while ago. >.> Not ONE person that voted one has come forward with a valid reason.

I'm quite looking forward to this issue in truth. BA and Chaos stuff! Yay! I'll give it a review if/when I buy it. :D

- Huw

Arhalien
21-06-2007, 14:20
Hmm, does this mean that WD might actually start being worth me buying regularly? Thatt;s quite a few good reviews so far.

sheck2
21-06-2007, 14:21
I could also see who voted what... Suffice to say I think I've just mentally proved a point I though of quite a while ago. >.> Not ONE person that voted one has come forward with a valid reason.
- Huw

Huw,

You're confusing me...I was the first or second person to vote and I left why...

Also - if you click on the number (bolded below) - it indicates who voted.

8 3 15.79%

I counted at least four more people who voted and commented...

What do you mean by the above statement (quote)?

Rodzaju
21-06-2007, 16:23
He said there was no explanation by the people who voted a score of 1.

Huw_Dawson
21-06-2007, 17:27
Bingo. :p

Sorry for the confusion there Sheck. Admittedly the same is true of the people who voted ten too, but I think you can be a silent fanboy, but if your going to go in to do GW hate, well, you have to do it in style... Otherwise it's a bit pathetic.

Why is it obvious that these people are GW hating?

Because the only feasible reason that their not is that they've subscribed, read through it, and voted 1. And then not bothered to say why, despite knowing that this means they look like a hateboy.(Hey! I just made up a new term!) Why did they subscribe then? Exactly.

- Huw

EDIT: Sorry Wintermute. My fault for raising the issue. I'll be quiet until I get the magazine and give a review.

Asmith
21-06-2007, 17:43
I have no idea why you think the people who voted 10 for no reason is better than those who voted 1. A person who votes 1 is saying they would not recommend the issue for any reason. A person who votes 10 surely is not serious that this is the best issue ever(!)

Again neither is helpful if they haven't actually read the issue.

Wintermute
21-06-2007, 17:56
Can we keep the thread on-topic please, which is reviewing the July issue of White Dwarf, and not why people do or not wish to comment upon how they voted in the poll.

Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

Scionscion
21-06-2007, 20:33
Top-knotch issue 10 out of 10. Absolutely brilliant photos of miniatures, excellent coverage of the new Mighty Empires expansion (including 2 cover mounted extra tiles with cool detail bits), some very interesting Warhammer Empire material to support the new releases and the really fab official army list for the Blood Angels. In short; loads to look at, to read and to goober over!

Please give us more of the same GW.

The Judge
22-06-2007, 12:05
I enjoyed the Khorne showcase and the Empire sprue breakdown, but the only thing I have gone back and looked at repeatedly is the Chaos preview and the LOTR preview... but once they come out in a few months, this WD won't have ANY re-reading power with me.

Major Thom
22-06-2007, 12:37
The read was pretty good so I gave it a 7, my problem was getting the darn tiles off the front of the magazine. The US edition seemed to use some type of hot melt glue which even though I was careful tore the top layers off the heavier grade cover. Then it took me 10 minutes to get the glue from the tiles themselves.

Paddy Mcfee
22-06-2007, 13:22
I gave a 7 in comparison to more recent issues, but id give it a 6 when compared to the WD's when I first began (the 200's). Less pages of adverts which is always a plus! Nice chaos preview after that as well as details about Talisman! First article is a good quite indepth look at the new tiles and some good tips on how to use them as well as good painting tips. Dips after this with flogging of empire army deals, followed by tactica and those quite nice pages where they show all the components in the boxed sets (will definatly be picking up some flagelents for use as L&D). Yet to read Battle Report but looks ok. LOTR content is especially poor this month with just oner article on the new dragon model, but i'm sure this will be remedied next month with gondor in flames and return of the king. Very pleased at Blood Angels Army list, about time we got more rules and so forth in WD. Nice desert board article followed by usual end of mag bits and bobs with events and such like.

Overall a great impovement over previous months and I hope the WD continue this trend. Definatly worth the Subscription price!

Astromarine
22-06-2007, 20:18
Empire didn't win the Battle Report! that's worth an extra point right there.

I gave it an 8. I really felt like it was worth reading, I'll use it for parts reference and pictures later on, and the whole "flavor"in general was of one of the oldschool issues.

Ulfhedin
22-06-2007, 20:31
A good issue (UK 331) with something for everyone in it.

The only reason it loses points for me is that my copy is poorly printed with a very grainy black ink used on several pages.

Content wise itself I think its a nice improvement building on the quality of the 30th Anniversary issue. The extra tiles are new and useful (which is always nice as a free gift).

Not perfect, and some poor printing, but oveal a good issue.

Finn Sourscowl
22-06-2007, 20:38
Mine arrived this morning, although I only got back from work a couple of hours ago so haven't had a chance to read it all yet... but that says a lot about how much better it is than many recent offerings! I haven't voted yet, since I haven't read it all, but initial impressions are very good.

We'll say 7 for now (based on a quick read through), but I may revise that once finished.

DarthSte
22-06-2007, 20:55
I went with a 7. Mighty Empires article was ok. The sprue breakdown of the new Empire stuff was good, but hasn't helped me to decide how to assemble it.

Really not that much of use to me, but freebies are always worth a bonus point. The Blood Angels codex is good, but not of any real interest, but shows an improvement in standards, if not actual quality.

All told, fairly happy with it. May look at the LOTR stuff later.

But the Chaos previews, even though I saw them here first, are fantastic!

Gaz Taylor
23-06-2007, 11:58
Gave it a 7

I quite liked the freebie tiles for ME, the BA list, the ME article and seeing Andy Taylor's 40k Khorne army. I hated the battle report for WFB as I'm not keen on the format of the article, the fact it involved FOUR special characters, and the fact Andy Hoare proves once again that he doesn't know how to pick lists, by including great things such as a unit of 8 Minotaurs.

Overall not too bad but still needs some improving.

Finn Sourscowl
23-06-2007, 13:03
I hated the battle report for WFB as I'm not keen on the format of the article, the fact it involved FOUR special characters, and the fact Andy Hoare proves once again that he doesn't know how to pick lists, by including great things such as a unit of 8 Minotaurs.

I quite liked it, I have to say. A little brief (the report itself) for a 4000 point game, but nice to see something a little larger than 2500 or whatever. In terms of the army selection (especially for the beasts), I would expect that they used everything they had painted, so a unit of 8 Minos is probably a relic from 6th ed. The special characters I can live with... it was entertaining seeing the BoC blokey turning everything into spawn. I agree that sometimes you do wonder what they were thinking of when making decisions during the game, but I'm sure this is the case of most of our games if someone recorded them and then broadcast them to thousands of readers ;)

Scanno
23-06-2007, 16:20
8 for me; best issue in a good while; I had a glance through at breakfast the morning it arrived, and actually wanted to read some articles when I got home!
The bit on LOTR dragons was basic but informative for those of us without the latest book, the BA list looks good, the Chaos preview is interesting, the tilesets are much more flexile than I thought, and the 'how to paint a regiment' section was decent quality.
The batrep had a confusing layout, with the last 2 turns only having highlight pointed out, no actual paragraphs. It was fairly undetailed for 4000pts. Saying that, very long battle reports bore me occasionally, so no real complaint on that.

I notice 6 '1's, and no explanations for a 1. Sad really.

Karnage
23-06-2007, 16:25
A good issue (UK 331) with something for everyone in it.

The only reason it loses points for me is that my copy is poorly printed with a very grainy black ink used on several pages.

Content wise itself I think its a nice improvement building on the quality of the 30th Anniversary issue. The extra tiles are new and useful (which is always nice as a free gift).

Not perfect, and some poor printing, but oveal a good issue.

Yeah, I had some problems like this with my subscription copy too. The ink seemed very grainy and faded in places. More of an inconvienience and anything truly illegible but still not a good thing.

Content-wise I couldn't fault it. The Blood Angels Codex section was good reading, and considering I'm currently table-less at home, the desert table creation guide was something I was very happy to see. It was also cool to see my local store (Swansea) featured too (and I never knew it had got so bad in the old location that they needed umbrellas). :D

Overall though, I'd give it a 7, as atm I only really play 40K and the other articles, while interesting to read, are a bit lost on me atm. The hobby content was great though.

floyd pinkerton
23-06-2007, 17:07
6 for the UK WD from me.

ACE- new CSM (mmmm...), the khorne army
OK- mighty empire sprue, GT review
meh...-desert boards, LOTR dragon advert(sorry, article...), batrep and new empire stuff

The BA list is already throwing up rules questions as the designers stupidly try to condense the rules.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the pages eaten up by showing me everything on the new releases sprues. If there was some bits out of it I wanted bad, I'd have noticed them anyway.

I think there's also still too many adverts, but overall, not bad.

cthorpe
23-06-2007, 20:34
Well guys, this is a vast improvement over past issues..

This is the First 'White dwarf' where I have actually sat down to read articles.. that been a long time since I've done that, it is usually a case of picking it up, glancing through the pics, seeing what articles are in there, then putting it aside to perhaps come back to... and not doing so..

This edition actually grabbed me enough to sit down and read a lot of the articles.. more than once!!

Ok I will come clean.. I am a collector of Blood Angels, with three complete companies.. so of course the new rules etc was bound to get my attention.. and generally I have to say well done GW.. a few suprises, some pleasant, some not so good, but I can live with it...

So Nice to see WD including backgroud and rules again..

The Mighty Empires.. well as a previous poster said 'Meh', another useless advert... but the article drew me in, and yes I too am toying with the idea of purchasing it... though I dont play Warhammer, I think this system has great possibilities for being converted to WH40k.. a planetary campaign map..

The free tiles are also inspiring me to think of conversion possibilities for WH40K..

Though a bit fed up with the 'Empire' stuff... and almost flicking past those pages.. the pictures were impressive.. and again got me thinking.. what chance converting the Empire Champion, and Empire Griffon Standard bearer into Vostroyans.. which I also collect.. So I guess to some extent the advertising there has worked in getting me to think of the possibilities..

The Flagellants too could work for WH40k, so was nice to see some clear pictures of those figures..

The Chaos Splash was great to see.. again caught my interest, and will no doubt in time get me opening my wallet.. I love some of the figures portrayed..

The battle report was boring.. at least the Empire did not win.. but there again I dont play warhammer, so this held no real interest for me..

The plastic battle wizards.. again I saw the possibilities for some nice WH40k conversions there.. so i gues in a way the article worked!!

The Lord of the Rings.. well the sooner that is dropped the better.. though the dragon painting article was good..

The painting guides and pallets, plus the ideas for table building were excellent, a good introduction for beginners, and a useful reminder for us veterans.. I think these sort of articles should always have a place in WD..

I likes the Showcase army.. always nice to see a well painted army with great conversions and ideas...

Finally way too many full pages of adverts.....

In summary, I think this WD is heading in the right direction.. catering for beginners, and something of interest for veterans.. though having said that, this issue is clawing its way back up from way down in the gutter so has quite a way to go yet..

Noticeably.. this is the last WD edited by Guy Haley.. who has left.. interesting to see who the new Editor will be, and if they continue the improvements..

In recognition of the improved effort I am going to award this issue a 7.. bearing in mind that over the past few months I've been averaging a 2 or 3...

Best wishes,

Carl

Krog Ironclaw
23-06-2007, 20:34
I gave it an 8 based on the Mighty Empires stuff. I wasn't planning on buying that game until now. Looks too cool to pass up.

scarletsquig
23-06-2007, 21:23
The battle report was boring.. at least the Empire did not win..

Yeah, thanks for spoiling that for everyone that hasn't read it yet i.e. - everyone who is using this thread to figure out whether it's worth buying or not :rolleyes:.

Especially annoying since that particular report didn't have the usual predictable outcome.

I voted "1" because I probably won't buy it now.. the battle reports are usually the only thing in the mag with enough substance to last for a train journey.

DubBot
23-06-2007, 21:25
8 for me - an excellent issue - good idea well delivered with the tiles, accompanied by a good ME article.
Will definitely use some of the scenery ideas (especially love the Khemri pieces), and the painting stuff was generally useful.
Enjoyed the battle report (but then I generally do), and the LotR article on the Dragon was a good read.

fwacho
24-06-2007, 09:18
I';m wonderign hwo I coudl convert ME into a 40k campaign myslef... I already cuagh my slef tryign to budjet enough money for the tiles and book (so I can convert it over to 40k. (or if they did it for me I would really be thrilled.) maybe with apocolypse. (hopes)
I did give it 10. this really was a good issue.

Arhalien
24-06-2007, 09:46
Ok.... are you sure it was a good idea to make this poll multiple choice? Have a look at NF's voting ;)

Osbad
24-06-2007, 10:17
Well, having got the issue on Friday, and it taken me a cpouple of days to read through, I voted 6.

There's plenty of stuff to read in it which is my main criterion.

OK so it is awash with advertisements and all, but there were plenty of words there. Which for the couple of quid per issue my sub cost me, is what its all about.

I never wanted "War and Peace", but I did want to feel I had a good couple of hourse worth of reading material rather than just a brochure full of photoshopped pictures.

I voted 6, which is a solid score as far as I am concerned and is a long way up from the 1 I would have given issue (UK) 316 but is still a good ways of the 10 I would have given issue (UK) 282. But on the whole I think that my £2 wasn't wasted.

Faint praise, but at least it is on balance praise instead of hatred!

Generally GW have got the artwork a lot more sorted now with more of a "mature" and "consistent" look and feel to stuff than was in evidence even in its "heyday" of the late 200's. Now that there is actually a little more content washing around the place too, then I am feeling a lot happier than I was.

Still could wish for more of course, but at least its a start. So far I am not regretting my decision to renew my sub with the XXX anniversary offer!

Wintermute
24-06-2007, 10:17
It wasn't meant to be multiple choice :o

Ok I've reset the poll and its now not multiple choice. However, this means everyone will have to register their votes again.

Sorry.

Wintermute

Helbrass
24-06-2007, 21:14
I gave it a 6. Worth reading, but plenty of room for improvement.

Some good pictorial material, liked the CSM preview, BA list of course, ME coverage. Flagelant painting article good.
The Bat Rep lacked detail. I don't mind slightly odd choices - I suspect it has alot to do with the available models, particularly for 4000pt. Using special characters is something most people don't do, part of the current push to sell them I suppose.

Definately a big improvement. I still feel there is too much emphasis on the new models & those others they are currently pushing, to give it a higher score.

Chris

Crube
25-06-2007, 09:40
I quite enjoyed this issue.

It does seem to be getting gradually better month by month. The issues raised in the General WD feedback thread about painting articles seems to be being addressed, if the Stadard Bearer article is anything to go by.

Where in the recent past, the adverts have been more blatant, whereas this issue, there generally is something worthwhile to read along with them (I'm thinking the Citadel Toolkit page specifically here...)

It's not perfect to my mind.

Still too much white space in places, and the battle report was woefully short, although it was good to see a larger battle for once.

Overall, for me, I reckon an 8 (ctually hats rounded up, I say 7.75, but...;) )

Dr. Who
25-06-2007, 15:36
Gave it a 6. It is getting a little bit better, but still with miles to go.

- Dr.

kaimarion
25-06-2007, 16:33

Because its showing signs of improvement and the battle report was worth reading,some nice tiles and chaos pictures.....if the WD keep getting better then am taking out a subcription for another year:)

anarchistica
25-06-2007, 17:59
I love how the tactics article recommends you place your expensive Pistoliers in a position that allows Chaos Knights of Khorne to charge them. Aside from the blatant stupidity of doing this and assuming they do not get destroyed, which would allow the poorly positioned Swordsmen to flank the knights, they also lie about Frenzy. There's no requirement to charge the closest unit. You'd think someone writing a freaking tactics article would have knowledge of such a basic rule as Frenzy... :rolleyes:

sir.spamalot
26-06-2007, 18:27
I thouht this is the best issue since it went down the drain (late-ish teens in the three hundreds) I love getting free stuff, especially mighty empires :cool: It made me be able to see the quality of the tiles. All the articles were interesting even the empire stuff, I didn't read the BA list, simply because I'm not a SM junkie. It was an overall good magazine with much less (next to no) blatant advertising. I gave it a 9.

cheers, the spam man

Thoth62
26-06-2007, 19:55
I gave it a 7. I thought that the ME article was really well put together, and they gave some good ideas on how to actually use the tiles. Being mainly a 40K player, I would have liked to see more 40k material, but I can understand that there is a campaign for fantasy that's being promoted. Overall it was a good issue, and I'd say it was probably better than average.

Greblord
27-06-2007, 14:12
This issue was truly the lowest point for me, who only plays 40k of the 3 'standard' GW games. 72 pages before a single 40k article, and then it's 8 pages of regurgitated s**t about Blood Angels, who I have little interest in. Two other double page spreads were the only 40k content apart from the adverts, and one was mostly a picture, the other about a desert board.
I only gave it a 1 because of the plastic bits. Oh, and that I couldn't give it 0 :) Subscription will not be renewed if this 'Quality' is maintained. Thoroughly disappointed.

Hollopoint
27-06-2007, 20:04
I gave this issue a 6 as I thought it was a bit of an improvement over past issues. I liked the ME article and I suppose the BA list was alright although it didn’t really interest me personally. I really dislike the way in which the battle reports are done now and find the experience impersonal, cold and devoid of any kind of narrative. I just wish they would being the personality back into the Battle Reports as these descriptions aren’t very engaging.

EvC
28-06-2007, 19:22
Not a bad issue, worth 6 I'd say. I like the battle report, wouldn't it have been neat if they'd sneaked in a couple of the new 40K Chaos Spawns as Morghur's progeny though?

Next month's looks awful. Two LotR books out? And once again more releases than Fantasy and 40K combined, grrr oh well at least after Return of the King things'll slow down in that regard, right... right?

I love how the tactics article recommends you place your expensive Pistoliers in a position that allows Chaos Knights of Khorne to charge them. Aside from the blatant stupidity of doing this and assuming they do not get destroyed, which would allow the poorly positioned Swordsmen to flank the knights, they also lie about Frenzy. There's no requirement to charge the closest unit. You'd think someone writing a freaking tactics article would have knowledge of such a basic rule as Frenzy... :rolleyes:

They didn't actually state you have to charge the closest unit, although the picture in the small box might suggest that. Clearly they should've just used fewer words and a bigger picture ;)

Some guy (UK)
28-06-2007, 21:15
You know what? I'm actually somewhat suprised I would be giving this issue more than 5. But, infact, it gets a 6 from me! Nice free gift, and some more in-depth articles, plus Jervis hasn't tried to go for the hard sell. That article is something realistic and though provoking to a degree, and actually applies to me. Suprisingly the lack of 40k/LOTR stuff didn't bother me, as the WHFB items seemed to hold well.
I would have liked a pull out Blood Angels Dex instead, as a print out PDF is never as good, but I suppose I wont loose it this way.

I'm slowly getting used to the clean, modern look, but I would like some more of the 'homely' feel in the pre-300 issues, as it makes the publication a personal touch from the WD team.

Overall, -and this is to the WD team- keep these improvments comming, or put pressure on those who ask you to keep things 'dumbed down' to let you return this magazine to some of its former quality.
You are almost there for me. When I manage to award an 8 or more every issue, I shall be happy.

Edit: and stick a real editorial seciton in, and let the team tell us what they have been up to, as it is always interesting to know.

EvC
28-06-2007, 22:12
Anyone know who the new editor will be?!

Wintermute
29-06-2007, 06:57
Anyone know who the new editor will be?!

No

And your question is off-topic and better suited to a separate thread.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

Firebreath
30-06-2007, 09:41
I gave it a 6, purely because of the BA list and the peak at the upcoming Chaos Codex and the plastics which sound rather promising for a plastic collector like me. ;)

The rest holds no intrest for me. I decided this will be my last WD. :(

Calgacus
30-06-2007, 13:19
Pleasantly surprised with this issue and gave it a 7. Some good reading, enjoyed the ME, the Battle Report, the LOTR Dragon, and Jervis' piece (not sure I agree with him onthe importance of painting, for me its a chore and I will happily use modelspaintedby other folk). I'm not really a 40k player but still thought the Blood Angels stuff was interesting. I always enjoy it when they showcase other people's armies, perhaps they could do it in more depth. I'm looking forward to next month, especially with the LOTR releases.

UltimateNagash
30-06-2007, 17:22
8/10
Mighty Empires
Liked all the different ideas behind Mighty Empires, got a cool paint guide to help with anyones painting (and I need those... ;)) Oh, and Chaos Dwarfs get a mention! Instant 10! :D
But yeah, nice ways of showing how to paint them, some things about making them, using them etc...
Custom rules! That's cool, nice little thing, like old WD...

The Empire
The sprue pics really helped me decide whether to get the Wizards or not. I will be be, because I can make some cool wizards from this, mainly Necromancers of all sorts
Nice painting guides to hair, flame and metal with the Flagalents. Useful...

Battle Report
Having read it yet... But it does look kinda short, and er, Chaotic (pun not intended when planning this ;))

Dragons
Nice basic tactics, some new model pics and paint schemes and just some nice background... Good painting guide too... Hopefully I'll get a Leviathan 'Nid scheme soon (pretty please, I'll buy you cookies) but that's for another thread...)

Blood Angels
We got an army list!

Standard Bearer
I liked this, good stuff about painting. So, now we're getting both painting and gaming in WD, and not just new models? Cool...

And that's as far as I'm going to review. Me gotten bored and my back hurts :( but yeah, 8/10...

Phunting
30-06-2007, 23:46
7. Another issue (after the first in ages last month) that was actually worth the effort of picking up. ME stuff interesting, and free things never hurt. Of course all good to see rules back in with the BA; let's hope they can keep it up.

Finn Sourscowl
01-07-2007, 15:55
Definatly worth the 7 my initial impressions gave it... maybe 7.5. Had enough text to keep me interested, Standard Bearer was, for once, not Jervis spouting "ooo look what we're releasing this month!!", but was an interesting commentary on part of the hobby (note, that's not The Hobby (TM GW)), the Bat rep was a bit shorter than could be, but was interesting none the less and the BA codex will no doubt have fans, I don't play 40k, so can't really comment, however it is VERY nice to see it there!

A special mention must go to the ME articles. For me, these demonstrated the fact that it was possible to advertise a new release while at the same time providing interesting text (and photos too, a nice balance!) about what you can do with it, how to use it and some house rules for the free stuff that came with it. Keep this sort of article up, GW! I've always said (and I've posted comments on pretty much all the WDs since 300 odd, either here or on the long-closed GW forums) that I had no problem with GW making WD little but advertising, as long as those articles were interesting, intellegent and well thought out. The ME articles in this months WD filled this brief, for me at least!

Keep this up GW!

Patriarch
03-07-2007, 18:59
Voted 4. An improvement over the last year's dreadful issues, but closer to them in quality than the "10s" - i.e. around WD100-150.

Are the high scorers giving points for effort (which is fair enough) or for the intrinsic value of the mag?

Nineswords
03-07-2007, 20:49
Well this is the first WD I have bought in over a year, so... it was ok. Mighty Empires was cool, as are the battle wizards. Thats about it.

Rogue Trader
04-07-2007, 14:19
i gave it a 5, it was hit and miss for me, the terrain article was good with the gaming boards and it was nice to get a free codex but there were too many ads to sift through to find something decent, even some of the articles were just adverts in disguise, that said i rather lked the battle report :D

ChrisAsmadi
04-07-2007, 20:24
+Blood Angels Codex
+Chaos Previews
-Way too many Adverts
+Free Stuff
---ONE 40k Article

So I give it 3. It'd be 1, but BA Codex + Chaos Previews evade that.

Lord Inquisitor
04-07-2007, 20:32
I gave it a 6.

Some cool stuff. The Blood Angel list was the thing I ripped the plastic cover off for. I wanted to read the Mighty Empires preview too. Other than that there was little that excited me. I read the battle report last night, was quite entertaining, although I still don't like their system of spreading what's happening all over the place - either write everything out, or use little boxes, but not both. Actually I quite liked the big spread for the middle turns, which just had little boxes and letters explaining the important stuff that's going on.

Still, there wasn't really anything that made me want to sit down and read the mag from cover to cover. Too much pushing of products (yes, we know you've just release some new terrain, you spent 90% of the last mag enthusing on it) and it still lacks the fun stuff like Index Astartes that I miss.

dabiggrotsboss
04-07-2007, 20:37
I gave it a 9. I am very much digging all the Empire coverage, just picked up $500 worth of Empire, and the battle report was awesome.

Free orc tile bit? Outstanding.

Standard Bearer was excellent and inspiring as usual.

The terrain board bit was not what I would do, but who knows, maybe someday I will do a desert board.

Blood Angels do nothing for me, but it's cool to have the list in the issue anyway.

9, really, really, solid effort!

I am a subscriber, and always will be.

violenceha
05-07-2007, 00:11
I give it a seven, comparing it to recent releases and not older issues, it's not bad.
Read the Blood Angel stuff as soon as I got it, haven't done that for months and the Angels of Death australian army showcase was pretty interesting reading, as was the Army of Eternity Tomb King stuff. Does the rest of the world get these artlicles? last 2 issues the australian written stuff is all I'm really reading as it is actual hobby content and not just advertising.
Standard bearer. Yes Jervis, the competition has released pre painted stuff, you won't be doing the same.

Frowbakk
05-07-2007, 20:54
Voted a 7.

Used to play Mighty Empires way back when, but it always degenerated when players expanded too fast too soon and had too many battles to fight and so got disinterested. I might pick up the new set, but only for nostalgia reasons since i stopped playing Fantasy 3 or 4 editions ago. Maybe I'll model the hex into a 'holographic battlefield' with Epic scale figures and regular scale figures standing around.

The Blood Angels codex bit was OK, but slicing it in half was just a ploy to sell more issues (hey, it worked with me, I hadn't bought a copy since the new year) and I'll most likely photocopy, cut & paste everything so that all the info fits on one page, like the Eldar Codex.

Nemesis Crown will eat up a lot of available space during the summer, as will LOTR as they push through the backlog of models until contractual obligations are met.

New Chaos Codex.. this makes, what, three now? to the Orks one.

Looking forward to all things Orky, but I'll probably not buy any other issues until GW trips the light Orktastic.

Rightnow
05-07-2007, 22:00
This was the best WD in several months. If this is the new standard I might renew my subscription.

I love the painting articles and I hope they include many more.

I gave it an 8.

Pure fear
05-07-2007, 22:24
I gave it a 7, it's certainly better than previous issues but is still a bit to "look at the pretty pictures!" in my opinion.
And i'm not a fan of the battle report style they've been using lately, i find them quite dull, but again this one was an improvment.

But even after all that i still quite enjoyed it. Loved the mighty empires stuff, and the BA stuff. The desert terrain and battlefield ideas were also good.

Nazguire
06-07-2007, 00:41
Standard Bearer was excellent and inspiring as usual.

???

Surely you know it's just a sales pitch, or am I just not detecting the sarcasm?

UltimateNagash
06-07-2007, 08:09
Surely you know it's just a sales pitch
:eek: No? Really? A GW mag showing there products has an article trying to get you to buy stuff? NO WAI!!!

or am I just not detecting the sarcasm?
Or they just enjoyed it?
Not everyone on Warseer thinks the same as you, so :p Plus I normally enjoy reading it.

Bjorn Stormwolf
06-07-2007, 09:14
Voted a 7, really liked it, I love the model component breakdowns, the battle report was really characterful with lots of cool moments too. The previews are nicely done although i would have liked a bigger send off for Guy Haley, i liked the fact the editor at White Dwarf couldn't win a game for toffee.

Good for a flick through with some meaty bits to read inbetween. Nice.

75hastings69
06-07-2007, 11:41
I really don't have much to add to what everyone else has put. Not a terrible issue, but not good either. 5 from me, which is sadly the highest I have given WD in a long time..

The boyz
07-07-2007, 10:31
Well I decided to buy WD 331 the other day, as I havent bought a WD for about six months now and the two ME tiles that came free where quite tempting.

I was quite surprised actually, its not to bad an issue. So I gave it a generous five on the poll. The Empire stuff was quite interesting, I also enjoyed reading "Standard Bearer".

Stormsender
09-07-2007, 06:55
I rate this issue at a 7, I think it is closer to where it needs to be, though I didn't think it was a fantastic issue. I liked this white dwarf for the fact that they put some rules content inside along with terrain/figure painting.

I wasn't that impressed by any of the content overall though, I don't think it's really worth what I pay because it is over all more of a miss than a hit personally. I play 40k if I played Warhammer Fantasy or LoTR I could see some more value. I don't play Fantasy (might pick it up in the future, maybe) and I don't play LoTR, so with so very little 40k content I cannot recommend it for a subscription, it's just too expensive for so little value from my perspective.

Sabbad
09-07-2007, 21:53
I liked the fact there were rules in the magazine. But I missed the lack of background material. And that used to be my favourite thing in the magazine.

Gets a 7 - 6 points on the mag's own merit with a bonus point for the Blood Angels first half that was actually in the month before's WD. Not good enough to make me re-subscribe.

lanrak
10-07-2007, 19:59
Hi all .
I gave it a 4,slightly more interesting adverts.
Pg 2 gto 48 adverts for Mighty Empires and the Empire releases.
Pg 46 to 61 Bat rep Empire /Beastmen.
Why not adopt the old and CLEAR method of Bat reps?
Pg 62 to 63 Nemisis crown ad.
Pg64 to 71 Lotr dragon ads.
Pg 72 to 85 .A mini dex for a SM chapter,
Pg 86 to 88.
Jervis Johnson saying that buying building and painting GW models and minatures is more important than gaming!(Not to gamers matey!!)
Odd that GW are chasing the 'pocket money' pound.
And yet they fail to make thier rules as clear as possible.. and the kiddies have to spend ages glueing and painting....
Any way I digress..
Pgs 89 to 127, ads + making simple gaming board(My god its soo complicated!)
AND USUAL ' whats on where'.

SO out of 127 pages.
A 15 page bat rep.
A 13 page mini dex.

And two hexes for ME.(And little Ork/wizards tower /towny thing).

TTFN
Lanrak.

dabiggrotsboss
11-07-2007, 01:31
???

Surely you know it's just a sales pitch, or am I just not detecting the sarcasm?

No sarcasm. I love Standard Bearer, turn to it first thing every month. Always gets me excited and inspired. I have have been gaming for going on 13 years now, and I wrote Jervis to tell him what a great job he is doing. I don't mean email either, I actually wrote the man a letter, to which he very nicely responded.

Can't say there has EVER been a better time with Games Workshop than right now. Hot Fantasy products, outstanding Lord of the Rings, and 40k Orks just around the corner - not to mention the new look and feel and White Dwarf, I couldn't be happier!

All this doom and gloom on Warseer, for what? I love GW more now than I ever have!

Sincerely and honestly,

dabiggrotsboss

xenotaph
11-07-2007, 01:59
One of my friends got this magazine and let me thumb through it. Let me tell you, I was not interested at all in this magazine mainly because I have zero interest in mighty empires. Blood angels stuff... dont care.. Grand tournament... dont care.. empire... dont care. Nemesis crown.. I have no interest in these campaigns because they are all fixed IMHO.

I gave it a 1 out of 10. I do not consider myself a gw hater but this issue didn't interest me one bit. I haven't bought white dwarf in a few years so I might be comparing it unfairly or my tastes have just changed.

fwacho
12-07-2007, 10:08
Why is this stikied? don't we have the feed back thing already? (it' been theri fo rlike 20 days already. (you seem to be describing it.

Osbad
12-07-2007, 11:35
Why is this stikied? don't we have the feed back thing already? (it' been theri fo rlike 20 days already. (you seem to be describing it.

Again, in English this time please?

Richter Kless
12-07-2007, 13:44
I gave this issue a 9.
I can now simply make my Space Marine chapter based on the Blood Angels rules without having to use that crappy old codex. I have basicly paid 14 euro´s for a codex without the background. (which I don´t need anyway)

I love how they showed the content of the flaggelant, artillery and wizard boxes in clear way so I can see what I could use for conversions.

The showed me some nice stuff about those map build thingies and how I could make campains with them.

In short, totally worth the money.

Fredmans
13-07-2007, 14:18
I gave it a 7. First issue this year that actually kept me reading. ME looks both eye-catching and tempting. The WHFB battle report was fun, but a bit messy. Pictures and diagrams were not really helpful either. I had to read it twice just to grasp what was going on. What did the Dragon Ogres actually do? Why did the Emperor try to scare the Centigors from within their charge arc? If anyone deserved to die that battle, it was surely him.

The hobby section was quite good, although a sand-covered gaming table is not a viable option for me right now.

I am not quite sure what to think about all the recent painted sprues-articles. I am leaning towards a waste of editorial space (although the flagellants and wizards were the best so far - at least adding some background and painting tips).

Another issue I have with the present format is the rules/tactica pages. Dragon rules are covered in Khazad-Dum. Then they are (almost) re-published in WD. Why? The Empire tactics lost a lot of credibility with the tip of disastrous Frenzy baits. If one cannot say something clever, one should not say anything at all.

I have always loved WD army lists. Especially good ones. However, not being a 40K player, I cannot judge the Blood Angels army list.

Anxious to see whether the ME campaign will be followed up.

/Fredmans