PDA

View Full Version : A footslogging O&G army

Cresistauead
25-06-2007, 17:03
I like the straight-forwardness of this list, even if "nobody else" is using infantry these days. Sure, it's not the most powerful army, but I hope it would turn out to be at least somewhat playable in tournaments. Good old three proper orc blocks in the middle, supported by a good measure of shooting. Some faster units and some magic defense to compensate for the weaker aspects of this army.

Spider riders and squig hoppers are giving much needed mobility. The hoppers in their current incarnation seem to be excellent war machine guardians. I'm not that sure about the doom divers, but they seem to be a necessary evil if I want to have a good amount of war machines. The archers can get 65 shots on a unit stationed on a hill. At least for me, that sounds pretty nice. I hope that's enough to worry opposing war machines, forcing the opponent to deploy them into a better cover instead of getting the juiciest firing positions on a hill. The presence of archers also helps to concentrate more punch to one crucial spot, something that a relatively slow infantry army with 25mm bases can find really hard to do at times.

I'm still 40 pts short of 2000 pts. Probably going to take a fanatic or two. What do you think of the list? Would you like to change something?

Orc Warboss 217
-slashas (choppa that re-rolls misses) (25)
-light armour (3)
-enchanted shield (15)
-boar (24)
-best hat (5+ ward) (30)

Black Orc BSB 180
-heavy armour (4)
-boar (16)
-spirit totem (+3 dispel dice) (50)

Goblin shaman lvl1 105
-2 dispel scrolls (50)

28 orcs 198
-shield
-full cmd

28 orcs 198
-shield
-full cmd

25 arrer boys 180
-full cmd

20 night goblins 64
-short bow
-musician

20 night goblins 64
-shortbow
-musician

5 wolf riders 71
-spear
-musician

5 spider riders 71
-musician

5 spider riders 71
-musician

8 squig hoppers 120

8 squig hoppers 120

rock lobba 70

rock lobba 70

doom diver 80

doom diver 80

Lord_Byron
25-06-2007, 17:17
I like it. I like it alot. I'd still like to see the warboss a black orc, and a couple of fanatics, but I don't know where you'd get the points. I also think a swap of 1 rocklobba for 2 spearchukkas might be a good idea. Nice list.

eyeolas
26-06-2007, 17:03
This isn't really a foot slugger list with 3 units of fast cavalry and 2 squig hopper units, but that's beside the point.

I would drop the bsb to an orc and raise the warboss to black orc. Remove his 'slashas' and give him heavy armour, then for the orc bsb remove the boar (I'm guessing you did this because you get a boar modle in the box?). This is a very half hearted list. You have half of your army shooting, a bit of it moving fast, and a small chunk moving normal pace for combat. Either make this list alot more shooty (drop the squigs for more artillery and the orcs for arrer) or more combaty (make the gobos have swords and shields, make the arrer boyz have shields, scrap the doom divers and rock lobbers for a giant or boar unit, which you could use the boar modle you would have had for). Either way the army would be a bit more threatening having one very strong phase, were lots of damage is dealt, than having two relatively weak phases. It is all about complimentary units.

You have the rough idea of what looks like a good orc and gobo list (which this list looks like) but you just have to make an army a bit more focused o what it really wants to acheive

warlord hack'a
27-06-2007, 20:59
I go with eyeolas; you have 4 pieces of artillery, if you want to protect this investment that means you have to keep your unit of arrer boyz behind, reducing the punch in your battleline to two orc units.. now the squig hoppers are great, if you manage to charge them into the enemy.. I personally would swap one unit of hoppers for a boar chariot, at least you know where that one is going. leaves you around 40 points to put in the pile you need for some fanatics..