PDA

View Full Version : What kind of DoW do you use?

Pendragon
25-06-2007, 23:13
Wich, if any, mercenary units do you use in your army/armies and how do you represent them on the battlefield? Do you integrate them into your army theme or do you keep them separate so they stand out? Or do you use RoR?

Personally, I've started some work on three units for my Slaanesh mortals army, all using Chaos marauders. One mercenary cannon (an empire great cannon adorned with spiky bits and some chaos iconography, as well as marauders as crew), a unit of duellists (also marauders, with added pistols) and a unit of norse marauders (represented, naturally, by marauders). The idea is to have them fit in to my army background as seamlessly as possible, wich in my opinion has worked pretty well (the cannon, of course, being stolen goods ;) ).

So, how you do it?

/Joel

bluebugs
25-06-2007, 23:30
MANBITERS!!!!!! the toughest gnoblars around!

EvC
25-06-2007, 23:32
Giant Ghoul and Undead Rhino.

It'll be a sad day when I add a DoW cannon to an army specifically designed to have no major shooting...

EmperorNorton
25-06-2007, 23:46
So far I've never used DoW, but I plan to use some cavalry in my Dwarfs army someday, represented by the goat riding Highland Dwarfs done by Westwind.

Pendragon
25-06-2007, 23:56
It'll be a sad day when I add a DoW cannon to an army specifically designed to have no major shooting...

Yes, because it's not like they already have any... :rolleyes:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110201170&orignav=13

Ironhand
26-06-2007, 02:32
My local playing group doesn't permit Dogs of War in any form, so I've never used any. I don't know that I would even if I could, since I'm really not fond of the concept.

Borthcollective
26-06-2007, 03:26
I hate them actually, I think it changes the flavor of your army too much.

Crazy Harborc
26-06-2007, 03:36
I guess I am too much of a "historical" gamer.......I use mercs, because they were a big part of the real world. Heck, they are mentioned a great deal in the WHFB fluff of many armies.

I use heavy cav.(NO barding), fast cav. w/bows and spears added, pikes both DoW and the RoR units. Once in a blue moon, I'll use the HE and dragon. Never have used a (special)character magic user.

sulla
26-06-2007, 04:49
For my Beastmen, I like Menghil's manflayers for a bit of shooting and Leopold's leopard company for the immune to psych block in the centre of my fluid lines.

For my DE, the only things i really use is 2 DoW cannons since they are much more accurate and better value for points than RBT's. I would like a pair of giants but there are a lot of things that I would like a pair of giants but there are lots of things i would buy before spending that much on a couple of warhammer models.

Pendragon
26-06-2007, 08:31
For my Beastmen, I like Menghil's manflayers for a bit of shooting and Leopold's leopard company for the immune to psych block in the centre of my fluid lines.

For my DE, the only things i really use is 2 DoW cannons since they are much more accurate and better value for points than RBT's. I would like a pair of giants but there are a lot of things that I would like a pair of giants but there are lots of things i would buy before spending that much on a couple of warhammer models.

Any interesting background explanations for that?

/Joel

gorenut
26-06-2007, 09:21
I run an Empire army without Knights, so I need a relatively fast, hard hitting unit. Ironguts are what I use frequently in my army. Plus at the moment, my Empire army is getting converted to be Cathay, so the Ogres fit in even better.

Chiron
26-06-2007, 09:42
Duellists in my Empire army, I love skirmishers and an excuse to take pistols aplenty, gives me extra units to deploy before everything essential as well

Or a hotpot, those little fellas are great to inflict humilating casualties on knights with

Lord Malorne
26-06-2007, 12:24
i used to have night gobbo army and was shocked when they released yhetees and thought "oh my god cave beasts" but they were not dow so couldn't use 'em...but that did not stop me from using them as ogre bulls with accw!

the one thing i've allways wanted was night gobbo bat riders (giant bats!)

squiggoth
26-06-2007, 12:38

Use Daddalo's Birdmen rules, and convert your bat riders to represent them?
Overpriced flying Gobbos with crossbows. :p

My old Chaos Dwarf Death Rockets have seen some action as DoW Cannons in my Chaos army, normally when I don't have two free Rare Slots for the proper Hellcannon.

If I ever find an old Chaos Siegecannon on eBay, I'll probably use that as a DoW cannon as well .... or maybe as a Hot Pot. :D

EvC
26-06-2007, 12:55
Yes, because it's not like they already have any... :rolleyes:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110201170&orignav=13

Hey, the Giant Ghoul and Undead Rhino are part of my Vampire Counts army, i.e. the army I was talking about when I said "no major shooting".

The Hellcannon being added to the Chaos army was designed to give them away to breach Middenheim without simply using the logical artillery that every army would employ during sieges anyway...

Qohelet
26-06-2007, 13:26
I'm planning Duellists with ad hw for my High Elf army. 7p/wannabe slicer is funny, and hope it sometimes work (WS4 S3 A2). Maybe I kill only few skinks with them? Close combat with that unit is pure nightmare - so in round 5 I may move my mages somewhere else and.. last round dig some goblin flesh with swords/knives (bloody example).

Anyway, it's still cheap hide/cover for my VERY expensive mages. And only 5 points/duellist without extra attack - for 10p you have musician! (helps rally).

Still I take some Shadow Warriors for scouting purpose.

The Super Haggis
26-06-2007, 13:57
Ogre undead hunters represented by Ogre Maneaters for my Stirland army.(Heavily converted of course!)

Nick.

ZeroTwentythree
26-06-2007, 14:15
I hate them actually, I think it changes the flavor of your army too much.

I play a Marienburg themed Empire army. For one thing, they are supposed to use a lot of mercenaries since they have a lot of money and less population to draw from. Secondly, they are a diverse city containing populations of "sea elf" traders, dwarves, halflings, ogres, etc. Dogs of War lets me play a my army more in-line with the background. (Also lets me use a number of troops that were originally in the Empire army book in previous editions.) My Marienburgers use Light Cavalry (elves), Ironguts (instead of knights), and eventually dwarves and halflings (who are integrated into the human units at the moment.)

I also play a Skaven army that I've been steering towards a Clan Moulder theme. Sadly the army book mainly caters towards warlord and Skryre themed armies. So I use DoW ogres and giants to represent some of the Clan Moulder beasties, as per their background. Again, more in-line with the background than against it, IMHO.

Crucible (short lived game) had something like that...
http://www.paintingclinic.com/ward/Ironwind/Crucible/index.htm
(top row, fourth picture across)
I've got several of them sitting around and have no use for them. :/

Hywel
26-06-2007, 15:50
My empire army often entertains bands of mercenaries, largely as a means to access the units that didn't survive the transition from 5th to 6th ed. Thusly halflings, the hotpot and ogres have all dirtied their hands and my pistol-wielding duellists enjoyed a far bit of action under 6th ed. Not sure if they'll get much table time in 7th.

I also have plans for a unit of pikemen in imperial uniform.

Empire generals don't really have to think too hard to justify mercenary units. Armies of the period they are based in were largely mercenary anyway and in the warhammer world, most of the DoW units (certainly non RoR) used to be part of the empire list or are easily imaginable transitions.

As for my chaos I already have too many embryonic plans to start thinking about mercenaries, units from two army books are enough to keep me occupied for quite a while!

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
26-06-2007, 17:24
I love using Mengil's manflayers. so I use them quite often with my dark elf army. Obviously they dont stick out as much as normal because they are the same race, and they only take up a special slot, another good thing.
They are a very powerful unit, fun to use, and great for scouting tactics.
oh yeah, they look great too!

PS. I know I must look really stupid now, but what's the difference ebtween DoW and RoR? I always thought they were the same thing.

Pendragon
26-06-2007, 17:43
PS. I know I must look really stupid now, but what's the difference ebtween DoW and RoR? I always thought they were the same thing.

DoW are all kinds of mercenary units, including RoR. The RoR are the non-generic, named, special character-ish units such as Mengil's Manflayers, Ricco's Republican Guard and Al-Muktar's Desert Dogs.

/Joel

Sureshot05
26-06-2007, 17:52
I use the halfling hotpot regularly in my Empire army as a tribute to the old days and because I love the model.

Pendragon
26-06-2007, 18:22
A follow-up question that is perhaps more suitable for the rules forum, but I'm throwing it in here anyway.
What about base sizes? When you use DoW units do you vary the base size? For instance, my duellists, norse marauders and cannon crew are all supposed to be mounted on 20mm bases, but since I'm using converted chaos marauder minis to represent them, i stick them on 25mm bases. bThis also makes the fit in better with the regular marauders.

Does anyone do the same? Is there any rule that says you can't?

Enoshima
26-06-2007, 19:33
IIRC you can't put units on larger bases in fantasy

As for which DoW I use, I sometimes use cursed company an long drong slayer pirates in my dwarf army.

I am also going to buy mengil manhide manflayers.

This all has to do with my army theme (and because the models look good), my dwarfs are wanderers and litteraly travel around the world hiring and being hired.

Sir_Turalyon
26-06-2007, 21:49
I have some armoured minotaurs with babylonian beards and great weapons, to be used with Ironguts rules in my Chaos Dwarf army. Didn't use them yet, through.

I was always fun of Minotaurs of Hashut idea (being "Great Bull of Chaos" it's strange this god has no minotaurs of his own), even wrote piece of funfluff once how Hashut first created minotaurs, but other gods lured them out from his service. So he stoped these gods from destroying eastern dwarf colonies as revange, only to realise he found steadfast followers who'll never abandon him. So he's god of CD now, but sometimes succeeds in making some minotaurs remember their true calling.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
26-06-2007, 21:53
I have the best DoW unit in my army: manbiters, they are not worth much but gnoblars with flails are fun. Apart from that I also have 2 units of ogres, a unit of irongut, and I'm building 2 cannons. I don't take them to improve my army I just take them to have some moddeling fun. I think I will soon buy some maneaters, those models are lovely.

Greetz
G

sulla
26-06-2007, 22:22
Any interesting background explanations for that?

/Joel

For which one?

For the cannons, I have a beastmaster apprentice model in each crew with slave artillerists. My DE are not so stubborn as the rest of the elven nations. They can see black powder is the future and overpriced twangers are relics of the past.

For my beastmen, well, Menghil is mercenary enough to eat his own family, I don't think he would think twice about throwing in his lot as mercenary scouts for even a beastman (to him, i don't think he'd differentiate much between beasts and mortal...both lower life forms to his arogant elven outlook. So, while the pay's there, so is he...)
For Leopold and his boys; well, i wanted a block of infantry but i don't like the Khornegors or the Pestigors and the bestigors are too small, plus i have the models so... In terms of fluff though, I don't know enough about the Leopard company's background to really make a plausable story for why they work for the beasts... perhaps that 3 headed, 2 tailed leopard on their banner points to a sinister connection to chaos?
Why would the beastmen hire them? Well, in their raiding, they come across a lot of coin. Far more coin than beastmen can ever hope to use (not many taverns welcome them with open arms) so they have plenty to spend in their religious mission to sow destruction in the Empire and it's neighbours.

Pendragon
26-06-2007, 23:23
For which one?

For the cannons, I have a beastmaster apprentice model in each crew with slave artillerists. My DE are not so stubborn as the rest of the elven nations. They can see black powder is the future and overpriced twangers are relics of the past.

For my beastmen, well, Menghil is mercenary enough to eat his own family, I don't think he would think twice about throwing in his lot as mercenary scouts for even a beastman (to him, i don't think he'd differentiate much between beasts and mortal...both lower life forms to his arogant elven outlook. So, while the pay's there, so is he...)
For Leopold and his boys; well, i wanted a block of infantry but i don't like the Khornegors or the Pestigors and the bestigors are too small, plus i have the models so... In terms of fluff though, I don't know enough about the Leopard company's background to really make a plausable story for why they work for the beasts... perhaps that 3 headed, 2 tailed leopard on their banner points to a sinister connection to chaos?
Why would the beastmen hire them? Well, in their raiding, they come across a lot of coin. Far more coin than beastmen can ever hope to use (not many taverns welcome them with open arms) so they have plenty to spend in their religious mission to sow destruction in the Empire and it's neighbours.

Seems reasonable enough. :D

Canadian_Khan
27-06-2007, 06:00
Well... my army of Middenheim employs two things for now... and will include more and more in the future, As I plan to us EVERY Rare slots as DOW or ROR

Right now, I play with a Kislev Allied Contingent ( Horse archers+ Kossars ), as they are a natural army of Middenland. I made my Kislevites a little brainwashed by the Ulric priest, so it adds flavour.

and secondly... Bronzino and his galloper guns as joined the army of Middenland! Why Bronzino and no real Empire Canons? Easy question: it moves! Plus: I don't wan't any other artillery since that's really an Ulric based Middenheim army.

After that, I plan on getting myself Vespero's Vendetta to protect the canon AND a regiment of Norsemen, only for the fluff of having Ulric priest converting men from Norsca! But that's only at 3000pts... a long way from here!

Fluffy and great to play!

A.Gentleman
27-06-2007, 08:05
Now I'm not trying to hyjack the thread but I am slightly confused about the use of DoW. I know there is a "DoW list" but is one allowed to take DoW from any army in the game?

Thanks
A.Gentleman

Pendragon
27-06-2007, 12:52
Now I'm not trying to hyjack the thread but I am slightly confused about the use of DoW. I know there is a "DoW list" but is one allowed to take DoW from any army in the game?

Thanks
A.Gentleman

Nope. Only from the DoW list and some units from the Ogre Kingdoms list.

Wich is a pity, really. I'd love a unit of Dark Elf Slaanesh devoted in my army.

/Joel

Captain Marius
27-06-2007, 13:15
I have a giant and a unit of ogre bulls which make regular appearances in my Empire and Orc armies. I also tend to use special characters in the same way as regiments of renown; Kurt Helborg only appears leading a unit of 10 inner circle Reiksguard (expensive!) and likewise Grimgor is only ever fielded along with his Immortalz. These units are uber in the extreme, but obviously only appear in games of at least 3,000 points and then only rarely.

C-Coen
27-06-2007, 16:30
I have a regiment of Lumpins Halflings, and a regiment Cursed Company, but no, I don't use them really. Only once, to let them show how good they're.

When I have a 2000pts VC Necrarch army ready, however, I'll use a Giant. Of course a bloody-zombie conversion.. :evilgrin:

Crazy Harborc
27-06-2007, 18:46
Nope. Only from the DoW list and some units from the Ogre Kingdoms list.

Wich is a pity, really. I'd love a unit of Dark Elf Slaanesh devoted in my army.

/Joel

Sounds like a good idea. Talk to one/some of your regular opponents. If you have an opponent who wants to try a whatever in their army list...work out a deal. Give it a try

LuciusAR
28-06-2007, 11:03
I have a unit of Ogre Bulls that often appear in my Orc army, though the Models are converted so they appear to be V Large Orcs (This is a suprisingly easy conversion BTW). They hit almost as hard as trolls whilst being far more reliable.

logan054
28-06-2007, 12:34
I dont believe they fit in my army aa I really dont see khorne hiring mercs, if i did use DoW i would use ogre bulls (as chaos ogres suck) however i would rather have minotaurs any day of the week!

Falconrider
28-06-2007, 12:44
I like Asarnil but also plan to make a fluffy WE version of the Galloper Guns.

Mouse_NJ
28-06-2007, 17:49
I enjoy putting DoW units in some of my armies-typically in games where i've asked an opponent if they mind this is what i typically use.
Orc/Goblins- Ruglad's armored orcs and a DoW cannon
-I think Ruglad's is a nice fluffy edition to any orcs army, and the DoW cannon is nice to add in to compensate a little, however since i've gotten a doom diver this is added in significantly less.

Dwarves
-Leadbelchers-kinda makes sense adding them in as they hold cannons that they shoot. Theme wise one could easily guess the Dwarves hired the orgres or the ogres are trying to steal the cannons.

Skaven
-Pikeman-I can't explain the fear pikeman put into an opponent, especially since they can be frenzied/death frienzied... pike with 2 attacks priceless, pikeman with 3 attacks= lots of dead cavalry.

E-Dog
28-06-2007, 18:01
I play chaos and I like to bring two cannons sometimes, (captured from empire) they've been chaosified with spikes and chaos symbols.

ZeroTwentythree
28-06-2007, 21:19
a fluffy WE version of the Galloper Guns.

:wtf:

Because the WE are fond of dragging a half ton of metal around the woods, loading it with fiery explosives and blasting away at their opponents?

I can see where that's totally their style.

"WE" stands for "Wissenland, Empire" right?

Falconrider
29-06-2007, 01:29
It's called using your imagination and modelling it as a big tree sling shot or bolt thrower or something similiar. A Treeman throwing rocks.

Crazy Harborc
29-06-2007, 01:51
Sadly, only one regular opponent is willing to experiment with "what if" DoW and or RoR units. To date, I haven't come up with a unit I want to try out:confused:. Till then, one opponent willing to experiment is plenty.

E-616
29-06-2007, 03:03
My Von Carstein Vampire count army made use of a DoW cannon, I converted the crew to look like mercs with one zombie crewman and made a base that had tombstones on it :)

razielthegreat
29-06-2007, 04:43
i have to agree with most people in this thread.... DoW are the coolest!!

i like to use 3-4 ogre "iron guts" in my vampire counts army. (suitably converted to look like frankenstien's (sp) moster)
and i have plans for a DoW cannon complete with zombie pirate crew.

Rioghan Murchadha
29-06-2007, 06:20
My Dogs of War army has pikemen, duellists, crossbows, ogres, a cannon, some paymaster's bodyguard...

I don't actually have a background excuse for any of this...

VanHel
29-06-2007, 07:20
If I ever get them converted, I'll have a huge unit of pikemen that I made using the 6th edition plastic empire spearmen. Besides that I'll probably add a giant to my vampire counts army eventually.

Canadian_Khan
29-06-2007, 15:33
I just finished playing another game with my army for de NC...

Bronzino AGAIN did nothing... Neither his cannon. It exploded again... 3times in a row...
Now that's badluck...

Lord Malorne
29-06-2007, 16:13
Use Daddalo's Birdmen rules, and convert your bat riders to represent them?
Overpriced flying Gobbos with crossbows. :p

only empire and DOW can use the birdmen.:cries:

Lord Malorne
29-06-2007, 16:18
Is the halfling hotpot any good!

Canadian_Khan
29-06-2007, 16:28
Is the halfling hotpot any good!

Better than not having any artillery at all...
And also if you go again low Toughness whatever the armour ( no armour saves is good! )...
higher than T4... It becomes hars to wound...

Other good thing is that if it dies... the other guy other wins 50VP...

So I'd use it against Tenehuin lizards, Humans, Goblins, and other low T hordes.

Hywel
30-06-2007, 00:49
Ignoring armour is a massive advantage for the hotpot. Despite the fact stonethrower style weapons aren't the most accurate, it still makes an effective anti-cavalry weapon, particularly against T3 cavalry in more than one rank. The fact it is only 50pts means you only need to kill two heavy cavalry to make its points back so is well worth it if you have a spare rare slot.

The best part is you get a halfling chef wielding a cleaver.

Crazy Harborc
30-06-2007, 02:37
i have to agree with most people in this thread.... DoW are the coolest!!

i like to use 3-4 ogre "iron guts" in my vampire counts army. (suitably converted to look like frankenstien's (sp) moster)
and i have plans for a DoW cannon complete with zombie pirate crew.

Have you considered a crew member loading a skull into the cannon? A short stack of skulls for cannonballs. How about a crewman using a severed arm to clean the barrel.:evilgrin:

Well, with THAT it's snack time.:evilgrin: