PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 Goblin Army

Word Bearer
26-06-2007, 17:11
I've been playing Gobbo's for a year or so now, but since the revised Army book has been out, I've yet to revamp my old 2k list. So without further a do, this is what I've come up with so far.

Lords:
Goblin Warboss:
Lucky's Dirk, Amulet of Protectyness, Triksy Trinket, Shield, Great Weapon, Light Armour.
...132pts

Heroes:
Goblin Big Boss:
Battle Standard, Light Armour, Spiteful Shield, Sneaky Skewerer, Talisman of Protection
...112pts

Night Goblin Shaman:
Level 2, Dispel Scroll
..120pts

Night Goblin Shaman:
Level 2
...95pts

Core:
30 Night Goblins:
Spears, Shields, Nets, Full Command
...175pts

30 Night Goblins:
...175pts

30 Night Goblins:
...175pts

30 Night Goblins:
...175pts

36 Night Goblins:
...199pts

5 Wolf Riders:
Spears, Light Armour, Musician
...71pts

5 Wolf Riders:
...71pts

6 Spider Riders:
Spears, Shields, Musician
...84pts

Special:
Wolf Chariot:
...60pts

Wolf Chariot:
...60pts

Wolf Chariot:
...60pts

Squig Herd:
...30pts

Rare:
Giant:
...205pts

Total:
...1999pts

All comments would be appreciated.

Be Afraid
26-06-2007, 18:00
horn of urgok is your friend . . . espesially with low leadership gobbs, i think drop a wolf chariot, scroll and sneaky skewerer, and pick up another squig herd, and give 1 of your wizard nibbla's itty ring, and the other the horn of urgok, that way you will stay armound longer with good leadership, and bound spells are good for either drawing out dispel dice, or casting auto once opponent has used all his, and if he ignores itty ring, make him regret it, go after unit chapions or heavy cavalry, enemy wont ignore it next time, and horn of urgok . . . well, save it until last, it is quite possibly the best value for points magic item in the game !

Word Bearer
26-06-2007, 18:27
I've experimented with the Horn before, and personally I haven't found it as useful as it seems on paper. It's only effective in the turn I sound it, and then not before charges are made (so I'm still using the lower Ld for fear/terror checks). If I'm charging in on my turn I'd perfer to try and not rely on getting the horn off to put my opponent at -1Ld to win the combat. And then obviously the horn isn't effective in my opponents turn when he can charge and shoot me.

For 40pts I find it a little overpriced, especially when theres a chance of it wounding my own shaman, I'd rather take the Staff of Baduum or Sneaky Stealin'. The 'itty ring however is a piece of a equipment I really wanted to try and get in, but it was a toss up between that and the dispel scroll. I'll playtest with both tho and see which proves more useful.
I may drop some nets to get it in with another scroll.

Thanks for the reply!

StrangeGuy
27-06-2007, 15:52
Why do you have no archers? You may not think of them as useful but for a measly amount of points they can be useful. Also, I find 1 squig herd is not enough use the points on something else. Also, Nibbla's itty ring is awesome, use it.

Word Bearer
27-06-2007, 16:30
I considered taking archers, but I've never had a huge amount of success with them. Short bows of infantry never seemed right to me, and with so many models on the board my firing lanes soon get very restricted.

Squid Herd's are something I've actually yet to use, so putting one in the list was a new thing for me. I only put one in because, simply, I didn't have the points to put in more. The way I see it tho is that for those few points I'm getting quite a few S5 attacks that could quite easily tip a combat in my favour (when combined with a infantry block).
If my opponent choses to shoot my herd, that's fine, I'm only losing a few points and it means less shots at my chariots and giant (the main heavy hitters) or my cavalry (who'll be running about march blocking and hunting mages/warmachines).

Thanks for the response tho, think I'll drop the Mushrooms from the Shaman and give one the 'itty ring.

Felworth
27-06-2007, 19:57
I've been playing Gobbo's for a year or so now, but since the revised Army book has been out, I've yet to revamp my old 2k list. So without further a do, this is what I've come up with so far.

Lords:
Goblin Warboss:
Lucky's Dirk, Amulet of Protectyness, Triksy Trinket, Shield, Great Weapon, Light Armour.
...132pts

Heroes:
Goblin Big Boss:
Battle Standard, Light Armour, Spiteful Shield, Sneaky Skewerer, Talisman of Protection
...112pts

Night Goblin Shaman:
Level 2, Dispel Scroll
..120pts

Night Goblin Shaman:
Level 2
...95pts

Core:
30 Night Goblins:
...175pts

30 Night Goblins:
...175pts

30 Night Goblins:
...175pts

30 Night Goblins:
...175pts

36 Night Goblins:
...199pts

5 Wolf Riders:
...71pts

5 Wolf Riders:
...71pts

6 Spider Riders:
Spears, Shields, Musician
...84pts

Special:
Wolf Chariot:
...60pts

Wolf Chariot:
...60pts

Wolf Chariot:
...60pts

Squig Herd:
...30pts

Rare:
Giant:
...205pts

Total:
...1999pts

All comments would be appreciated.

Alright, some quick thoughts.

The warboss may need to be retooled abit. If you arm him with the Lucky's Dirk (magic weapon) he wont be able to switch to the great weapon as you always have to use magic weapons over regular ones, even if their a one time only. Next thing is the Amulet of Protectyness; if you have it you cant cuse the light armor and shield at all so its a waste of points.

Also the BSB could use some more defense considering how vital he is to keeping the Night Gobbos from running. I'd suggest Either Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At or Effigy of Mork with Enchanted shield to go wth the light armor. Wont make him invincible but at least unit champs and regular troops wont be able to down him.

As for everything else, I like seeing big mobs of Night Gobbos with nets. If you drop the spears the Gobbos will have 5+ armor save in close against enemies (at least those strength 3 or lower) who cant negatively modify your armor save. The more Gobbos they cant kill, the better chance your automatic 5 combat rez can send them running.

Love the chariots/Squig Herd/Giant. As long as they attack whatever a night gobbo unit hits you should win pretty quickly.

Love the list Overall. Just some quibbles with hero item choices is all.

warlord hack'a
27-06-2007, 20:34
why are there no fanatics in your list? Any clever enemy will use misile fire to remove your giant and chariots, taking out the entire punch of your battleline. Yes you have a lot of nightgobbo units but your line will not hold long enough for you to use your superior numbers to swamp the opponent..

Word Bearer
28-06-2007, 21:51
Cheers Fellworth! Magic Item and Hero selecting is probably my least favourite part of army list writing for Goblins, so your help here has been very useful.
I'll probably drop the Dirk, I'd forgotten I couldn't switch between Magic and mundane weaponary. Amulet will go as well, the combo I had was used in an Arena of Death match where it all proved stupidly effective (Goblin took down Archaon) but in a normal gameplay I can see it not being as effective.
I'm sticking with the spears, simply because I'm cheap and lazy, can't really be bothered to convert all those models, depsite the obvious benefits.

Hack'a: I've used Fanatics plenty of times before, and while they can be stupidly effective, more often than not they've caused me no end of grief by taking out my own chariots and giants.
To be able to get rid of 3 chariots and a giant before they reach the enemy lines, my opponent is going to have to be playing a gunline army, only focus on those units and still have a fair bit of luck on his side.
That or I make a rather stupid mistake and they all get taken out by a stray cannonball.

The fear that I "may" have fanatics in my units, is usually enough for me to unnerve my opponents.

warlord hack'a
29-06-2007, 09:01
okay, you've thought about that, I am curious to hear how you fare without the fanatics, please let us know the outcome of your upcoming battle with this list. I actually never tally how my fanatics do, perhaps I should keep track of their performance..

Word Bearer
30-06-2007, 19:03
I haven't had a chance to play this list yet (hopefully will get the chance on thursday), but have played a lot of games at 1,000pts using no fanatics and so far so good.
Against people who don't know my list they've been rather cautious of my units just incase I have fanatics, and against those who know that I don't use them the spears have come in very useful as well as having the extra points to spend on things such as the chariots that can get in the flanks easily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince anyone that Fanatics are a waste of points and should never be used. It's just a preference thing for me, I know alot of people (yourself probably) find Fanatics a key part of there strategy.
Hopefully I'll be able to get a report of a few games by Friday.

Word Bearer
30-06-2007, 19:04
I haven't had a chance to play this list yet (hopefully will get the chance on thursday), but have played a lot of games at 1,000pts using no fanatics and so far so good.
Against people who don't know my list they've been rather cautious of my units just incase I have fanatics, and against those who know that I don't use them the spears have come in very useful as well as having the extra points to spend on things such as the chariots that can get in the flanks easily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince anyone that Fanatics are a waste of points and should never be used. It's just a preference thing for me, I know alot of people (yourself probably) find Fanatics a key part of there strategy.
Hopefully I'll be able to get a report of a few games by Friday.

Belerophon709
30-06-2007, 19:55
rubbish lol

After having perused the quality of your own lists here on WarSeer and your inability to take criticism/heed the words of advice given to you, I'd suggest you keep comments like that to yourself.

Sorry for the off-topic reply to this thread, but stuff like that ticks me off...

Word Bearer
30-06-2007, 20:41
Don't worry about it, the internet is full of people such as him. Though I've found far less at Warseer.

Cornholio
30-06-2007, 21:16
that sounds great, i love hordy armies. would it be possible to get a pic? they dont need to be painted its just great to see a huge horde arrayed before you. it's a solid force as well.

BlazeXI
30-06-2007, 21:23
Also the BSB could use some more defense considering how vital he is to keeping the Night Gobbos from running. I'd suggest Either Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At or Effigy of Mork with Enchanted shield to go wth the light armor. Wont make him invincible but at least unit champs and regular troops wont be able to down him.

The BSB cannot take a shield...

Word Bearer
30-06-2007, 21:39
The BSB cannot take a shield...

He can't take a mundane shield, but provided he doesn't take a magical banner (which I haven't) then he is still free to chose any magic items.

I'll try to get some pics next time the army takes to the field.

Xyon
01-07-2007, 00:34
I quite remember there being something discussed where BSB's cant take mundane shields or magical shields, I would check the rulebook to be sure, but heck yeah take it if you can. But I think you can't.

Felworth
01-07-2007, 05:37
I quite remember there being something discussed where BSB's cant take mundane shields or magical shields, I would check the rulebook to be sure, but heck yeah take it if you can. But I think you can't.

Bah, correct you are sir! (As well as BlazeXI for pointing it out)

Page 121, if a character isn't allowed a mundane shield he can't take a magic one. Sorry about leading you down the wrong path Word Bearer. Promise it won't happen again till the next time.

BlazeXI
01-07-2007, 13:55
Bah, correct you are sir!

Page 121, if a character isn't allowed a mundane shield he can't take a magic one. Sorry about leading you down the wrong path Word Bearer. Promise it won't happen again till the next time.

I haven't read the full 7th edition rules yet, but I had a feeling GW would not change that;). Thanks Felworth for confirming my suspicions.
On the other hang O&G magic armour choices are pretty limited this time around.

Felworth
01-07-2007, 15:52
Yes... light armor that adds +1 to toughness and a snappy shield. Not good.

If this army wasnt built around being purely goblinoid I'd suggest a Blorc Big Boss on a boar so as to have a BSB with some armor save.

BlazeXI
01-07-2007, 18:35
Yes... light armor that adds +1 to toughness and a snappy shield. Not good.

If this army wasnt built around being purely goblinoid I'd suggest a Blorc Big Boss on a boar so as to have a BSB with some armor save.

Just in case that was sarcastic it the 7th edition O&G have only 2 magic items in cathegory armour as opposed to 7 items in the 6th edition one.

Felworth
01-07-2007, 18:46
I was agreeing that the current army book lacks anything near decent magic armor choices. Additional toughness is nice but not at that point cost and the snappy shield... I like the concept but can't see 25 points spent on only one additional point of armor save.

My apologies if it sounded otherwise.

Heh, sorry to derail the thread so much Word Bearer.

Word Bearer
01-07-2007, 19:44
Don't worry, I can't believe I missed that bit on the shield. After the post I did look through the books just to double check and couldn't find anything.

Word Bearer
25-07-2007, 19:12
Someone requested some pics of the army? Well I finally got around to setting it out and snapped a few.

It's still in its early stages so some things haven't even been undercoated, but you can get an idea of the army. I've altered a couple of things, such as the inclusion of a single Troll (mainly because I got rather attached to the model).

Anyways, heres the pics Clickety (http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/WordBearer/Warhammer%20Fantasy/)