PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Fanatics - Questions

Pitr Ironskull
26-06-2007, 20:34
Recently, I've been playing with the goblins and a few questions have come up that we couldn't answer easily, so I thought I'd post them here.

1) If a unit of night goblins is standing on the very edge of a hill and the fanatics are triggered, does deployment kill them immediately or are they safe to shoot off the edge onto the ground?

2) On a similar note, what if the unit is occupying a building? Can a fanatic be sent out the front doors?

(After doing a search, it's so tempting to put together one thread with all the Fanatics questions that have come up.)

Festus
26-06-2007, 20:45
Best to treat open terrain as just that: Not harming Fanatics. Otherwise, a simple street would see them dead ... :rolleyes:

Out of a door? I do not think so!

If you really want to know: as soon as the Fanatic touches ANY kind of terrain feature, he goes splat - but see the street or the hill ... ;)

Festus

DaBrode
26-06-2007, 20:47
I believe the current concensus (because it's not terribly clear in the rules what "Terrain" covers in the fanatic rules) is that all moveable terrain pieces and those terrain areas that cause a movement penalty will kill a fanatic.

[edit:Or as Festus said, some people play all terrain without movement penalty is fair game.]

This is what seems to be adopted by most players in my area as well as many on the forums here.

As far as launching off a hill/out of a building...I play O&G, but if I weren't playing them and you were as my opponent I would still allow you to toss them off a hill at me but not out of a building. To me that makes sense.

Keep in mind the rules aren't very clear unless of course the idea was to make Fanatics unusable hence "Open Terrain" kills them on release as well. This, to me, is stupid.

Pitr Ironskull
27-06-2007, 18:08
In the game, we decided that the fanatics could pop off the edge of a hill safely but not out of a building. We do play that "gentle hills" will kill fanatics, because the rule is unclear enough to make us wonder.

The building question came up because my goblin unit "passed" an animosity roll and ended up occupying a building without my consent. (Which, looking back on I think they'd just stop at the building.) His unit was exactly 8" from the building. Chaos ensued. And really, chaos is why I fielded an all-goblin army in the first place :)

Thanks for the answers, guys!

warlord hack'a
27-06-2007, 21:24
I think this is one rule that justifies GW clarification asap. Not actually because the wording is unclear, it says 'any kind of terrain feature', but because this is:
1) very different from edition 6
2) counter intuitive: why would a hill (no move penalty for any troop type) or road (dito) kill a fanatic?

So, where is the FAQ in which this is clarified?

knightime98
28-06-2007, 09:59
I use the simple wood, rock, or river. If it is trees - it dies, If it is a stone wall - it dies, if it is a water feature - it drowns. Other than that, why make rocket science out of it. In a nutshell, if it hinders a normal units movement in any way... guess what - it dies... enough said... Peace..