PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Vetertan gang?

BlackViper
27-06-2007, 11:50
Ok, I've been thinking about trying a 40k/necromunda thing that would basically involve small units of marines / xenos etc. that can gain skills using the campain system.

I can't find rules for "buying" upgrades for a better stat line without having to play games and roll randomly. For example I want to buy extra BS, WS, Ld etc so my marines would start at a usual marine statline (other races would do similar to bring them up to their usual racial stats)

I'm sure I've seen these rules somewhere.... or am I thinking of Mordhiem?

-Graham

colmarekblack
27-06-2007, 12:04
Spacemarines have no place in Necromunda. However Tau and Eldar do have some interesting fluff relating to Necromunda (Tau have security cams in the underhive and spire, and Spyrer battle suits are made from Tau tech). Also you can rehire veteran gangers from past campaigns unless they were killed. Just add the xp and the cost of his equipment together.

BlackViper
27-06-2007, 13:46
I won't actually be playing on necromunda - just using some of the rules for a necromunda-esque 40K skirmish campaign.

You can pay for extra Xp? could you throw a page ref my way?

-Graham

colmarekblack
27-06-2007, 15:08
Only Spyrers can pay for exp at the start of a campaign- check out the the Death Stalks the underhive article for more details. Normal gangers start with 20 +D6 exp, however I can't find the rules for hiring past gangers. Just add the exp and cost of the fighter together and that how much he costs to buy. I'll post a page reference when I find it.

Eazy-O
28-06-2007, 02:25
I can't quite remember it, but i do believe that recruiting old gangers meant that you had to pay 1 credit per 1 XP. It's also what ArmyBuilder charges you when "buying" starting experience. Either way, you'd have to buy enough XP to advance enough levels to cover your stat increase... Let's see...

Ganger
3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7

Marine
4 4 4 4 1 4 1 8

That's 6 level advances, for which you'd need at least 101 xp. Starting from 20, you need to buy 81 points, which brings your butt naked and unarmed (save for a knife) marine to 131 pts and 101+D6 XP.

I don't know what you plan to do with the power armour and the fact that marine weapons shouldn't have ammo rolls - i suppose you can ignore those across the entire game, for other armies too.

BTW, what do you plan on doing with income? I suppose it could remain the same, to keep some randomness in the game, and it would represent the non-standard support troops get in wartime. As for "gangers" working the territories, it could be explained that when you perform well and your tropps live, you get extra "funds" or supplies/recruits.

If it's any help, the old Outlanders book had 2nd edition Chaos Space Marine statline and equipment in it and they were ranked at 300 with Boltguns, Bolt pistols, Frag grenades, Power armour (3+, no I penalty), Rapid Fire, True Grit and No Pinning.

If you need any more help, let us know. ;)

Cheers,
Oskar

BlackViper
29-06-2007, 11:37
Thanks for the pointers.

I'd found something in the spyers which I think said 5xp per stat increase (hope I didn't just make that up) I was doing ok making a 5 man unit before I got to the power armour.

Now, I haven't played necromunda in about 10 years - I didn't realise there was nothing with a 3+ save. When I graphed out the cost/save increase I had to estimate it'd cost about 200 credits, at which point the unit became totally unplayable.

I could do scouts - but then I have to artificially double their I to compensate for the 4+ armour save (plus all my scout models have sniper rifles!)

With all that in mind... I think something based on the CSM might be a better starting block!

colmarekblack
29-06-2007, 13:06
Thanks for the pointers.

Now, I haven't played necromunda in about 10 years - I didn't realise there was nothing with a 3+ save. When I graphed out the cost/save increase I had to estimate it'd cost about 200 credits, at which point the unit became totally unplayable.

Actually a tooled up Orrus with thickened armour powerboost has a 3+ save and the Spyrer patriarch has a 2+ save. Not sure about Pitslaves though

ML Kurze
29-06-2007, 16:46
You can also use the Chaos Space Marine rules from the Outlanders section in the Big Yellow Rulebook.

thorgrim
01-07-2007, 09:32
The easiest way to geet a fair and balanced stats for maines in a necromunda style game would be to use the old stats and costs (2nd ed ones). if you used these for all the units participating then it should be fine. There won't be any Tau or Necrons though.

Another alternative is to use the inquisitor rules with 40k models. The stats for each model can be turned into a points cost but it does take a lot of time to create a decent sized unit.