PDA

View Full Version : Marienburgers -- advice?

carik
27-06-2007, 20:12
Looks like I'm going to get to play a few more single games before we start a campaign, so I thought I'd give the Marienburgers a try... I'm still not convinced they'll carry their weight in a campaign, but in a one-off, they should have a significant advantage. We're building starting warbands, so as to get to try them out before it matters.

So: 600GC of Marienburgers!

Captain:
Dagger, Brace of Dueling Pistols, Hammer, Sword

Champion:
Dagger, Two Hammers

Champion:
Dagger, Sword, Dueling Pistol

Youngblood:
Dagger, 2 Hammers

Youngblood:
Dagger, 2 Hammers

2x Marksmen:
Dagger, Longbow, Hammer

1x Marksman:
Dagger, Crossbow, Hammer

2x Swordsmen:
Dagger, 2 Swords

1x Swordsman:
Dagger, Sword

Warlock:
Staff, spells

If I were going to bring them for a campaign, I'd probably swap the units of swordsmen (2 with sword and dagger, one with two swords) and take an elven ranger instead of the warlock. Being able to start out with an adjustable roll for exploration would be awfully nice... though it could be fairly powerful as is, depending on what spells the Warlock came up with...

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts...

Sword Warden
29-06-2007, 04:30
Looks good.

Only... Marienburgers wielding hammers... it just feels wrong.

But hey, that's just my opinion!

carik
29-06-2007, 13:57
Looks good.

But hey, that's just my opinion!

Thanks!

And it's true, it doesn't quite seem right... I just don't have minis with clubs or maces at the moment, which would at least seem a little closer. Given the cost is the same, and the effects are the same, I'll just swap 'em out once I've got miniatures for them...

Catferret
29-06-2007, 13:58
Elven Rangers are really worth taking ASAP. They are excellent archers and the =/-1 to exploration really makes a difference to the amount of doubles/triples you get.

Sir_Turalyon
29-06-2007, 14:27

Hammers or clubs, same thing... A wooden leg broken off tavern chair used as club is weapon of choice of most marienburg thugs anyway... along with broken bottle used as dagger ;). And converting hammer to chair leg isn't that hard.

carik
29-06-2007, 14:47
Hammers or clubs, same thing... A wooden leg broken off tavern chair used as club is weapon of choice of most marienburg thugs anyway... along with broken bottle used as dagger ;). And converting hammer to chair leg isn't that hard.

Very true... the problem is doing it reversably. 8-) My goal is to set things up so I can use more or less any weapon with any model, for variability. It's going to make it a lot longer before I can start painting, but that's ok... it's really the modelling I enjoy anyway.

I'm thinking I'll probably pick up another box of militia at some point, and convert a bunch of the arms to carry clubs. Certainly I don't plan to need THAT many dagger arms. Or I'll just use some of the halberdier's arms out of the soldiers of the empire box... the problem with those is the puffy sleeves, which don't really work for Mordheimers...

(And I LIKE the broken bottle idea... hmm... new alteration for one of those daggers, I think...)

TKitch
06-07-2007, 06:36
marienbergers: start off with all 15 models, or get the 15, a halfling, and a 16th guy.

The extra cash adds another 3 models easily, specially if you just use warriors.

carik
06-07-2007, 14:02
I ended up playing two one-off games with this warband (more or less) last night, both against undead. The first one was a closely fought skirmish, but I failed a rout test before my opponent -- he took the first test, and passed, then I failed in my turn. The dice were clearly against me, though, that game. The highest I rolled was a four, except when I was taking stat tests, when I rolled nothing but sixes. I ended the game with only one surviving hero; a youngblood!

The second game was Occupy, and I won by a rout test; I looked at the board in round 4, and realized that I was going to get crushed in the next turn. Fortunately, I managed to down two zombies, which forced him to make a rout test... and he rolled boxcars.

The Warlock was completely useless in the first game, but managed to take out a dreg in turn two of the second game, and sent the necromancer scurrying for the board edge in turn 3. Everyone else performed pretty much as expected, really...

Khorghan
15-07-2007, 01:30
List looks good , go for the elven ranger

Firebird4Life
06-10-2007, 00:20
I'm playing Marienburgers as well in a campaign. I put my Youngbloods with Crossbows to keep them away from the battle. As a band who benefits most after the games, my plan was/is to keep my heroes away from the battle as much as possible so I can roll for goodies afterwards until I deem I'm worthy to take on whoever. Granted, with the extra 100gc to start, we can buy a few extra guys, but they're kinda just average...

BigRob
06-10-2007, 08:27
Marienburgers are excellent!

Your list looks good, but the warlocks to random. Sure you could get the silver arrows, but you might get the pants luck spell! Instead decide what your warband needs and get either the Assassin (for cc/close range support) or the Tilean Marksman (for range support). The assassin is a monster and the marksman is great for shutting an area down. The elf is expensive, so I reserve him for a few games time, likewise with Ogre.

Use your rare trade bonus to get good equipment like a relic and try to maximise the warband early on to help with rout tests.

As for the clubs, remember the marienburger heroes are all rich merchants who show off thier flashy money and kit. The Henchmen are all dockers and thugs, thus clubs/hammers are really expected tools of the trade.
Good Luck