PDA

View Full Version : What is the blade of khaine?

aenarion67
28-06-2007, 10:56
what is exactly the blade of khaine?
i know aenarion wielded it. but y dont the elves use it now/

Arnizipal
28-06-2007, 11:34
Because it dooms all who wield it and taints their entire bloodline.

Rathgar
28-06-2007, 12:35
I don’t have any of my books at hand, and stuff about the war of the gods/war in heaven has become somewhat confudeled with its 40k parallel, anyway; if I remember something incorrectly or if it's been altered I’m sure someone will jump in and mercilessly inform me of my error.

Legend has it Vaul made the widowmaker to fight Khaine when the gods went to war. But the war-god defeated, then crippled and blinded Vaul and chained him to his anvil. He the took the sword as his own and placed it in his temple in the blighted isle.

In reality it was probably forged by the early priests of Khaine (*or insert some Old One conspiracy theory if you so wish*). When the gates collapsed, it somehow gained the ability to act as a sort of spiritual conduit with Kaela Mensha Khaine and drawing it allows him to use as his mortal instrument, his avatar or (*chaos*) champion if you like. It’s interesting to note that the elves have a number of thingys that work like this for example; the flame of Asuryan or Orion and Ariel’s funky tree.

I’m pretty convinced that the same things going down with Alith Anar and Loec too…

eleveninches
28-06-2007, 12:46
I know it was the sword that aenerion used to wage war against chaos, but it doomed both him and his decendants because the blade was meant for khaine, not aenerion.

But im not sure whether or not this is the same weapon as the warpsword of khaine (the one used by malus darkblade)

stormblade
28-06-2007, 12:52
But im not sure whether or not this is the same weapon as the warpsword of khaine (the one used by malus darkblade)

- I think it isn't because:

1.The Sword of Khaine is (to my knowledge) still on the blighted island
2. Tz'arkan clearly states that Warpsword of Khaine has been called many other names before it was called Warpsword of Khaine and was still a Warpsword.(Warpsword is a chaos artifact)

Eldacar
28-06-2007, 15:11
Off the top of my head:

1) Super-powerful to the point of practically being a Deus Ex Machina (in Elven mythology, it was created to destroy gods).
2) Confers the "essence" of a god to the wielder, making them sort of an avatar crossed with a demi-god.
3) Only ever wielded by Aenarion in "known" Elven history - probably because he was pretty much the only one with the ability to do so.
4) Doomed Aenarion (as well as his bloodline) specifically when it was drawn.
5) Was at least partially responsible for the "creation" of the Dark Elves.
6) Drove Aenarion insane.
7) Was slammed back into the altar so hard when Aenarion finished with it and died that nobody has been able to draw it since.

And no, the Widowmaker has nothing to do with the Warpsword of Khaine that Malus Darkblade has beyond a similarity of names.

Weldo Rubin
28-06-2007, 15:37
The sword would probably be MUCH more powerful then...

Brother Siccarius
28-06-2007, 20:30
So in some ways similar to the ancestor weapons used by the dwarfs: ie. The Hammer of Fate, Grimnir's Axes, ect.

Saimang
28-06-2007, 23:42
The sword also changes apperance depending on who's using it, I think it has also been perceived as a sceptre and a spear at different times but I can't remember the details.

Paviel
29-06-2007, 03:22
According to Tyrion, Malekith saw it as a scepter and Caledor saw it as a lance. Tyrion, like his ancestor, saw it as a sword.

theunwantedbeing
29-06-2007, 11:11
It's basically a blade forged from a shard of pure death,so if it touches something it tends to kill it.
Very nasty weapon.

The warpsword that malus darkblade wields is a totally different weapon from the "sword" of khaine.

Aenarion was the only being to have ever been "able" to use the weapon,he didnt really want to use it as he knew it would curse his bloodline(although for tyrion and teclis that "curse" isnt really all that bad...).

Tryion,Caledor and Malekith have all been in a position to use the weapon but they choose not to.
Aenarion only chose to use the weapon as it was a last ditch attempt at saving the world and he needed the most powerful weapon he could lay his hands on to give himself a fighting chance.
Even with the blade he almost didnt win.

The sword is guarded on the blighted Isle from intruders anyway,so any lesser being wanting to go get the weapon is generally killed before they get within sight of it,only the more powerful beings like malekith and tyrion have been able to actually see the blade.

Iracundus
29-06-2007, 11:35
The Sword is a symbolic device, symbolizing among other things the concept of "ends justifying the means" and also the darker side of Elf nature. Similarly the Flame of Asuryan could be seen as a symbolic device symbolizing the the light side of Elf nature.

Aenarion passing through the Flame, and being granted power through that, is matched by the Elf race reaching its heights of glory. However that wasn't enough to halt the tides of Chaos threatening to engulf the WHFB world. Aenarion sought any means to turn back the tide and his people (the Nagarythe) became ever harsher and crueller in their "win at all costs" attitude, paralleling Aenarion's drawing of the Blade of Khaine. In dramatic story fashion, this symbolic act introduces/splits Elf nature (or raises to prominence an inherent dark side previously suppressed) and ultimately also the sundering of the Elven kindreds.

That said, if we as readers were to look at just "what" these things are other than as symbols, the Blade and the Flame I see as conduits for the powers of their respective gods. I'd therefore see those that successfully use them as being "Marked" by the god(s) in much the same way as a Chaos champion, with the difference being that Asuryan and Khaine seem to invest only in one champion at a time, and that the powers granted may not always be physical. I'd actually think most of the Phoenix Kings of High Elven history have been granted only tiny tokens of power or that their powers have been ones of rulership and wisdom rather than raw combat power, ie basically whatever was felt to be best for the Elven people at the time.

Luthien
29-06-2007, 22:12
if you want to go back to the 40k fantasy mix think of the widowmaker as anaris times 10, the thing can aparently sink continents and destroy gods and yep it's on the blighted isle which i believe is in druchii hands :cries:

The Anarchist
30-06-2007, 19:42
I have a fair knowledge of the Sword and its history with Arenion (the pictre of im killing a massive deamon all on his own his awsome!!!) however i always fail to see why Malekith didn't pull the sword or scepter as it appeared to him. whilst i don't see him as inaetly evil. he does however seem to have a complete disregard for life, and seems to follow the idea of means justify the end. so for him to suffer corupting his soul and damning any of his line (well even futher thats is lol). can anyone maybe clear thi up for me?
the reasons Clador and Tyrion didn't pull the sword is fairly easy, and there isa great article from Tyrions perspective and thoughts on the sword somewhere, will have a look for it :)

Paviel
30-06-2007, 20:22
I see two possibilities as to why Malekith didn't pull the Sword of Khaine.

1. He couldn't, because Aenarion had shoved it in too deep, or

2. At the time, he wasn't corrupt or desperate enough to want the Sword of Khaine. This is based on the premise that he was not born evil, but had gradually become so, sort of like Arthas from the Warcraft series, or Anakin from Star Wars.

I think the first indication that Malekith might be insane and/or evil was during his ruthless vendetta against the Cult of Slaanesh, and that was long after he had visited the Blighted Isle.

sulla
30-06-2007, 20:56
Or, if you're Mike Lee, author of the Darkbade novels, there is a third reason... because Malus Darkblade has it...(from the BL forums and edited to stay on topic)

Originally posted by Mike Lee

Originally posted by Arcanum

Anyway, not really a spoiler question, but I'm assuming the Warpsword isn't the same weapon as the Sword of Khaine ?

[:)]

As to the Warpsword...as far as the stories go, it's the same thing as the Sword of Khaine. It makes sense from the standpoint of the graphic novel and the stories themselves, but Gav may have a different take on things as far as the game is concerned.

The Anarchist
30-06-2007, 23:19
well if Maleus has the Sword of Khaine then he managed to get onto the blighted Isle, steal the sword, get off the island and escape to Ulthuan and then get back to Naggaroth. well i think we all understimated how brilliant Maleus is, and how powerfull a god-killing weapon is.
ok maybe im feeling in a foul mood, but Maleus's sword just isn't the Sowrd of Khaine. i relay can't ive there is genuine cnnon to prove me wrong! please tell me my assupmtion is correct!
Pavial yeah good point however it seems Malekith has controlled seriousa portions of Uthuan on a few ocasions, so managing to get to the blighte isle seems perfectly possible for him t go and get the sword if he relay wanted. and as far as the fluff seems to say (though GW have just left this a realy badly drawn story line) Malekith has satyed out of the religious wars or diffeences between the cult of Slannesh and Khaine in recent centuies.

theunwantedbeing
30-06-2007, 23:29
Malus has the warpsword of khaine,not the sword of khaine.
2 very different weapons,one significantly more dangerous than the other.

Paviel
30-06-2007, 23:35
Malekith's trip to the Blighted Isle happened long before Malus was born, so Malus has nothing to do with why Malekith didn't take the Sword of Khaine.

Arnizipal
30-06-2007, 23:39
Or, if you're Mike Lee, author of the Darkbade novels, there is a third reason... because Malus Darkblade has it...(from the BL forums and edited to stay on topic)
Ugh, that's just awful. Why did BL ever let this guy write for them? :eyebrows:

CommanderCax
01-07-2007, 10:19

This is downright ridiculous and the most ludicrous thing I heard for long. Next thing would be that Ghal Maraz is wielded by some retarded farmer boy.......uh...wait...doh!.. :eek:

Suicide Messiah
01-07-2007, 11:35
Its not really that bad since Malus is a comic book character afterall. He is to the warhammer world what Batman or Judge Dredd is to the real world. Yes its completely impossible but hey, hes Malus Darkblade and in his book the world revolves around him and his badassery.

The Anarchist
01-07-2007, 11:44
Its not really that bad since Malus is a comic book character afterall. Yes its completely impossible but hey, hes Malus Darkblade and in his book the world revolves around him and his badassery.

Im sorry there can b no decent excuse for givingsome random elf the (arguabley) most powerfull weapon in existance! :wtf: why does he have to have the Sword of Khaine? any pwoerfull sword would fullfill his story just as well.

Suicide Messiah
01-07-2007, 17:51
Dunno. Youd have to ask the author.

Then again AFAIK it isnt said in the books that it is the sword of khaine. All we know is that the author likes to think it is. Well, im sure theres some superman fanboys out there that think he could beat the flash in a race.

My point is that if having Malus weild the most powerful weapon in the world is good for his story at some point then thats what he'll weild. Then when its not convenient anymore he wont.

Anyone wonder why the president of the united states doesnt have all batmans gadgets?

Paviel
01-07-2007, 19:33
I think there are only two real possibilities: Either Malus went to the Blighted Isle and pulled the Sword of Khaine from the altar, in which case the Warpsword is the Sword of Khaine, or he didn't go to the Blighted Isle or pull the sword, in which case the Warpsword is something else.

Ashnari Doomsong
01-07-2007, 20:00
...like hell Malus has the Sword of Khaine. If Malus had the Sword of Khaine, he would have been quite mad at this point, not to mention that he would've had far more trouble than some run-of-the-mill daemon posessing him.

heretics bane
01-07-2007, 21:07
Isnt Teclis an descendant of anerion? it saysa in giantslayer that when hes in the middle of battle lust he saysa it must be the affect of anerions tainted blood in him.

Moral Wiz
01-07-2007, 21:35
Yep. Teclis and Tyron are both decendants of Aenerion.

The Anarchist
01-07-2007, 22:41
Yep. Teclis and Tyron are both decendants of Aenerion.

the effect of them being of the line of Aenerion seems to be; being a seriously powerfull wizard and being able to kill just about anything you want in combat! :evilgrin: not bad ehh?

I'm sorry but i can't even belive GW would let one of the "God-Weapons" be repesentd and deffinatly allow it to be knowen it is a god weapon (eg in comics) on any model. i mean the sword woudl jus be like character kills ten models when he charges, no wards or regenertation. jut there dead!

and dons't the person who wants the sword ahve to ahve both strength (mental and physical) to pull the sword? so if Aenarion drove it home last time wouldnt it be a fair sort of assumption to say the person drawing te sword needs greater or equal strength to Aenarion. and weall know Maleus just dosn't have the stones!

sulla
01-07-2007, 22:54
Then again AFAIK it isnt said in the books that it is the sword of khaine. All we know is that the author likes to think it is. Well, im sure theres some superman fanboys out there that think he could beat the flash in a race.

Has the flash ever beaten superman in one of those races? They always end up as draws don't they?

Paviel
02-07-2007, 04:29
What exactly is the nature of the curse on Aenarion's descendants?

And doesn't the Everqueen suffer from it too, since she's also descended from Aenarion? Or does the influence of Isha override the influence of Khaine?

Kandarin
02-07-2007, 04:42
and dons't the person who wants the sword ahve to ahve both strength (mental and physical) to pull the sword? so if Aenarion drove it home last time wouldnt it be a fair sort of assumption to say the person drawing te sword needs greater or equal strength to Aenarion. and weall know Maleus just dosn't have the stones!

I believe there's some fluff that says that Tyrion could wield it, but refuses to do so.

LexxBomb
02-07-2007, 11:43
I know its ment to be in the temple atop a mountain opn the isle of blight but wasn't it wielded by some special elf character in the mordhiem game

Kandarin
02-07-2007, 11:57
I know its ment to be in the temple atop a mountain opn the isle of blight but wasn't it wielded by some special elf character in the mordhiem game

If it was, it's not the same weapon. The effects of drawing the true Blade of Khaine would be apocalyptic (if in an anti-Chaos kind of way).

The Anarchist
02-07-2007, 17:20

Aenur the sword of twilight is the mordiheim character, his weapon is never givin any serious detial on the strange sword he wields.

Eldacar
03-07-2007, 00:37
Has the flash ever beaten superman in one of those races? They always end up as draws don't they?
IIRC, Flash either beats him or it's a draw. I don't think Superman has ever won off the top of my head.

What exactly is the nature of the curse on Aenarion's descendants?
It differs from person to person. Teclis is weak and frail without the Staff of Lileath, but instead gets ridiculous magical ability to compensate. Tyrion is a weapons master, but suffers from a battle madness like Aenarion did. All of them, however, have some sort of greater destiny that they're constantly driven towards.

Suicide Messiah
03-07-2007, 12:59
The Flash wins IMO. Hes the flash. Batman could of course beat them both if he was given time to prepare. :rolleyes:

aenarion67
04-07-2007, 10:08
tyrion probably could take the blade. maybe when chaos returns he'll take the blade and kill everything. and the fill his destiny of dying in battle. the curse of aenarion means that all descendants of aenarion are all doomed to die most likely in battle

Suicide Messiah
04-07-2007, 11:56
Isnt that the fate of most people who go to battle regularly?

C-Coen
04-07-2007, 14:09
Isnt that the fate of most people who go to battle regularly?

And thus the fate of about every person in the WARhammer World? :eyebrows:
I thought I read somewhere Saurus never died of age, but always in battle.

Isn't there more with that curse?

The Pale Lady
04-07-2007, 16:46
The Flash wins IMO. Hes the flash. Batman could of course beat them both if he was given time to prepare. :rolleyes:

LMAO wow that pretty much sums Batman up...

aenarion67
06-07-2007, 11:36
so........... the blade of khaine is in a mountain on the blighted isles?
is it even guarded?

A neutral shade of black.
06-07-2007, 11:47
A couple of notes: Malekith tried drawing the sword and failed. Tyrion chose not to (one of his rare moments of lucidity; also, yet another example of GW pampering the Asur crowd).

As for the Darkblade novels (graphic or otherwise), you should all forget their existence right now. They might be canon in a universe where WFB dark elves are thinly-disguised Drow and people discard good WFB background for no reason at all (note: this has only happened to 40k so far ;)).

is it even guarded?

Why would it be? No one can use it.

Eldacar
06-07-2007, 12:29
so........... the blade of khaine is in a mountain on the blighted isles?
It was rammed into the altar to Khaine there by Aenarion just before he died.

is it even guarded?
Yes. There's a short story in one of the army books about a group of Shadow Warriors sniping anybody who gets close to the sword with their bows.

Arnizipal
06-07-2007, 14:19
A couple of notes: Malekith tried drawing the sword and failed.
He did? I thought he decided against it.

Paviel
06-07-2007, 15:12
Malekith went to the Blighted Isle during Bel Shanaar's reign, long before showing any signs of insanity and/or evil. "He ventured to the Blighted Isle in search of his father's armour. It is said that he stood transfixed before the Altar of Khaine, and even laid his hand on the hilt of the great weapon. To him it appeared as a sceptre, not as a sword, and perhaps he took this as a sign. Of his father and Indraugnir he found no trace. His expedition took him ever onward to the cold colonies of the northern New World. Here in the rubble of an abandoned pre-human city he found the Circlet of Iron, a talisman of awesome sorcerous power."

And it all went downhill from there...

Anyway, it's impossible to tell what was going on in Malekith's mind when he was at the Altar of Khaine, and what Malekith did after undoubtedly skews the High Elves' view of what he did before. Many undoubtedly believe that Malekith tried to pull the Sword of Khaine, even though he might not have done so.

aenarion67
06-07-2007, 23:24
where is aenarion's body?
or did it disappear like sigmars lol

Iracundus
07-07-2007, 00:36
Aenarion's body was never found. His driving of the Sword back into the altar was his last known act.

The whole Malekith before the Altar of Khaine is an interesting chicken or egg question. Was Malekith already hungering after rulership then or did the appearance of the Sword as Scepter seduce him or convince him that it was his destiny? In any case, the Sword really is and should remain as a plot/symbolic device and should never be actually drawn within the WHFB universe. Ruleswise, it'd be underpowered for its supposedly devastating effects, or it would be overpowered and unbalancing to the game itself. In terms of fluff, it means that somehow events will intervene to prevent the drawing of the Sword.

aenarion67
07-07-2007, 01:11
what if in the new book tyrion weilds the blade of khaine!
lol
kidin that would be over powered

LexxBomb
07-07-2007, 03:34
then again rule wise it could just be like a demonic sword with a greater demon bound into it (or something similar)

aenarion67
07-07-2007, 03:37
does the blade kill anything it touches?

CommanderCax
07-07-2007, 10:20
then again rule wise it could just be like a demonic sword with a greater demon bound into it (or something similar)

More likely the essence (or at least part of it) of a god bound to it or at least channeled by it. Try to make rules for that... :eek:

There are things better left like they are remaining as a plot device.

07-07-2007, 12:05
does the blade kill anything it touches?

More or less. Like we said, it's more of a deus ex machina and/or embodiment of the ends-justifies-means idea rather than an actual weapon.

theunwantedbeing
07-07-2007, 13:09
The blade killed a bloodthirster,a lord of change and a keeper of secrets all with a single blow on each,although it didnt kill the great unclean one....as it took several blows with the weapon to carve it up but it failed to actually kill it.
Typical GW godaweful fluff reasoning saved the day there for aenarion...

Rules for it?
Well needs to be some sort of insta kill type weapon really,ignores armour and ward saves upon hitting its opponent,the opponent rolls 2D6,if it rolls less than its total number of wounds it suffers a wound,if it rolls above its total number of wounds it is killed outright.

Would explain how it killed those greater daemons in one hit but failed to slay the great unclean one even after several blows had been struck.

aenarion67
08-07-2007, 03:37
seems reasonable
if they ever made an aenarion model
how much points do u think he would cost

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-07-2007, 05:29
Well, lets see. Riding whats effectivly one of the mightiest dragons, being a living Avatar of the chief elven god and using the personal weapon of Khaine...

Can we say lots and leave it at that? Really, he should be off the chart expensive.

LexxBomb
08-07-2007, 06:35
double lord croak then

aenarion67
08-07-2007, 11:27
i say 3000pts
on his own

08-07-2007, 15:59
He doesn't cost anything because he's a "I win the game" card. You can achieve the same effect by punching your opponent in the face hard enough. :rolleyes:

Oh, and:

Can we say lots and leave it at that? Really, he should be off the chart expensive.

theunwantedbeing
08-07-2007, 23:31
No more than 1500pts really.
As dragons go in warhammer these days....it wont be more much more than 350pts if that.
Just make it like imiriks dragon,maybe with an extra attack.

As for aenarion,chaos lord,tyrions special rules,ws10 in10
The sword of khaine
-ignores saves,auto-wounds,roll 2d6 everytime an opponent is wounded,if the result is higher than their total wounds they are removed as a casualty.
Give him the curse just for kicks.
Unbreakable,ld10

He wont really be worth more than about 1000pts.
But make him take a lord and 3 hero's.

Presto rules for aenarion...nowhere near as deadly as you might first think he would be,nor as expensive,but just as powerful as in the fluff.

Paviel
09-07-2007, 04:55
He also had the Dragon Armour, which Tyrion now wears... I don't know off hand what the rules or point cost were for it...

Revlid
09-07-2007, 06:49
No more than 1500pts really.
As dragons go in warhammer these days....it wont be more much more than 350pts if that.
Just make it like imiriks dragon,maybe with an extra attack.

No, Imrik's Dragon is pretty small. Aenarion's Dragon was an Emperor Dragon; Forge World Size.

As for aenarion,chaos lord,tyrions special rules,ws10 in10
The sword of khaine
-ignores saves,auto-wounds,roll 2d6 everytime an opponent is wounded,if the result is higher than their total wounds they are removed as a casualty.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here: This is a sword that could kill gods. More like Auto-hit, Auto-Wound, No Saves, Auto-Kill. 10 Attacks.

This guy is a demi-god, not just a tricked-out Elf Lord.

RobC
09-07-2007, 08:52
Put simply, it's Stormbringer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormbringer).

09-07-2007, 11:40
Put simply, it's Stormbringer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormbringer).

Shh, you. Don't you know there're rules against bringing up quality fantasy and/or GW's inspirations in a thread full of people who want to stat a demi-god and messiah?

RobC
09-07-2007, 13:43
This is the Fantasy Background forum. Even attempting to discuss the rules and points values in the forum is going to result in a whole world of pain. :p

Seriously, if you want to stat this thing (and I'm one of those who thinks that you simply should not), take it to Rules or General.

Iracundus
09-07-2007, 20:15
Trying to make up rules for things like the Sword of Khaine is like trying to make up rules for the Emperor in 40K: pointless as anything reflecting the power in the fluff would be so unbalanced as to not bother playing. Anything worth playing against would mean it's underpowered compared to the fluff, as sooner or later, someone somehow it'll be killed or fail miserably. It's like the old axiom of RPGs: "Give it stats and somehow eventually a player will find a way to kill it."

theunwantedbeing
09-07-2007, 20:34
Look at the rules of things that are still around and comparable to aenarion.
Starting with his dragon indraugnir.
Galrauch is created from the dragon who was second only to indraugnir.
His rules arent uber,he isnt an emporer dragon.Just a chaos dragon with ever so slightly improved stats.

Look at the greater daemons,again aenarion has to be something that can kill them all bar the great unclean one in a single blow,but the great unclean one should be able to take multiple blows without being killed.

Now look at the rules I proposed for them.
Suddenly it all fits the fluff fine and when you total up the points he isnt anything like several thousand points.

Jonke
09-07-2007, 22:09
Aenarion and Indraugnir defeated four greater deamons but both were mortally wounded in the battle. Where comes this 'in one blow' idea from? If i remember the 5th ed high elves book correctly Aenarion was close to suffocate from a stream of corruption (aka puke) from the GUO, being saved by Indraugnir who let his guards down and had his throat cut by the bloodthirster. Hardly 'in one blow'. Note this was before the creation of the vortex = more magic around = more powerful greater deamons.

Also Aenarions qualites aren't only as a warrior. Being the avatar of Asuryan he surely was a formidable leader. I think something along the lines of being general and bsb with 18" range, making any unit he joins unbreakable, all units within 12" stubborn and ItP, ld 11 maybe, all HE units may re-roll any failed ld tests. After deployment the HE player may re-deploy d6 of his own units and d3 of the enemys.

Peace!

aenarion67
10-07-2007, 05:26
he would probably be around 1000pts-1500pts
except if there were such a model the game would be pointless
"i have aenarion! i win!"

skamandrios
10-07-2007, 10:08
What is the blade of khaine?

Here goes the quote from 5th ed. HE book. There is much more, but I can't type the whole text, it's too long. But even this extract should explain a lot:

"From the beginning of time it had waited, embedded in the great black Altar of Khaine on the Blighted Isle. The weapon was old as the world and deadly as poison, a shard of the fatal weapon forged by Vaul Himself for the death god Khaela-Mensha-Khaine, a fragment of crystallised death capable of slaying Daemons and gods alike. No mortal could wield it and live, but Aenarion had passed beyond hope and beyond despair. He lived to slay.

Caledor knew what would happen and tried to warn Aenarion. He told Aenarion that he would be cursed if he drew the weapon, that such power was too great for any mortal being, and it could only be bought at the price of Aenarion's immortal soul.

Seized for a moment by the power of prophesy, Caledor spoke words that would ring down the ages. He told Aenarion that if he sought such corrupt power he would bring eons of tragedy to the Elves, that he and his line would be accursed to the last generation, that the gods would turn their faces from him and that Aenarion himself would surely die. The first Phoenix King made no response, merely climbed onto the back of Indraugnir and flew off into the dreadful night."