PDA

View Full Version : formation flying

Spaceraider
28-06-2007, 21:51
Whilst cursing the royal mail for the strike thats going to delay my forgeworld order (2 Thunderbolts, 2 lightnings/ 2 hell talons and 3 hellrazors) i found myself thnking about game setup and opening moves.

I've read a lot about wingmen and the benefits of overlapping fields of fire are obvious and I was just wondering if anyone else has come up with interesting formations for starting the battle.

For example my imperial setup would probably be two thunderbolts in lead both same height and speed with directly behind one lightning one height above and one lightning one height below.

To get to that formation the lightnings would start wide and use a manouver (side slip probably) to slot in behind in the first turn giving me a:

...T....T...
......L......
......L.....

formation.

What do people think useful or am I over thinking it all?

SquishySquig
28-06-2007, 23:48
:skull: Well with this formation you can shoot at 5 different altitude bands admittedly some better than others. That can help on getting some early kills. Your formation is tight enough to protect each other and loose enough to split up as needed depending on what your opponent does and how you wish to react to it. Seems fun. I'd be curious to see how it fares. I always start out in formations but after the first round they all split to keep my opponets guessing only reforming when needing to hit harder targets.:skull:

Col.Gravis
29-06-2007, 11:02
In a typical fighter engagement at the moment I'm fielding 5-8 Thunderbolts, I lead with two prongs of 2 or 3 aircraft each in line abreast, altitude wise they're usually stacked with two at the same height, with one either one higher or lower in each prong, then behind them I have one or two 'sweepers' following about 18" behindthese act independently covering the tails of the lead aircraft, armed where possible with skystrikes, altitude varies.

My favoured tactic is then either to converge with both prongs in the center, or break fully left or right, to mass firepower, the sweepers following at a distance until needed.

While your suggessted formation is certainly workable with good coverage I feel your choice of aircraft is wrong for the job, the Lightning is a manouverable interceptor with reduced firepower, IMHO better suited to racing up past your opponent and then comming about to tail, meanwhile following a little behind come your Thunderbolts, theoreticly your opponent then has to choose which to react too.

Spaceraider
29-06-2007, 17:39
I see your point about the lightnings being more manouverable and thats exactly why i would have them tailing the lead thunderbolts, all the better to react with whilst the thunderbolts bulldoze their way through with a save and added firepower. I will probably equip one of the two lightnings with skystrike rockets too for additional punch at range if anyone was silly enough to take this formation head on, the lurking lower lightning has the manouverability to take the high line if neccessary and could even act as intercept if i had a vunerable flank.

HarkonGreywolf
01-07-2007, 12:49
I like formation flying!
In, say, a 200 point game, I have my Orks all lined up in various "Mobz" along the table edge. I spread Fighta's and Fighta Bommas around so the the FB's have some Fighta support.
I then generally charge everything forward at max speed and at staggered Atltitudes usually alternating 5 and 6. This means that the Bommas fall 2" behind the Fightas, thus keeping them slightly sheltered from any enemy. (Obviously playing along the table edge no one is in range after 1st turn!)
Second turn I usually decide which Mob is going where, i.e splitting left, right or carrying on straight up the table. (Weez Orks an we just Charge! forward! ;) )
Then everyone in each Mob carries out the same manoevrei.e. Boss and his wingmen and the Bommas they are protecting all pull a Manoevre 2 and turn left in formation, but the Fightas drop a speed so they remain 2" ahead of the Bommas. And if you choose to use the Manoevre card at different points for each of the Mob, you can bunch up or spread out very slightly, depending on the terrain or objectives etc.
The tactic I've found most useful like this is "Mobbing up" on an enemy.
Take 2 large mobz of planes and take one mob left and the other straight forward.
Then when the enemy commit to one or the other Mob, bring the furthest Mob back round to almost Flank attack the enemy attackers!
It usually means that you have your whole force on only part of the enemies force! (And the Formation Flying looks great on the table!! :D Added Bonus! )
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/SWDWHS/Aeronautica%20Imperialis/BombingRunMission05.jpg
This picture shows the results of this tactic.
The 5 Ork (red) planes on the right have been flying straight down the centre and have Manoevred left in their second turn.
The three remaining red planes on the left out of a mob of 5, were flying at the Tau right wing (my left flank).
As you can see, their are no Tau left on that side any more! My combined force took out 2 Barracudas and a Tiger Shark for the loss of 2 Fightas, and left me with a clear run down the left flank to attack the Objectives.
I virtually ignored the Tau central attack line to achieved this with Formation flying totally unexpected from an Ork Force! ;)

Obviously different tactics work better for different Races/Forces, but I find "mobbing up" really works for Orks and the only way you can do this is forward planning and formation flying!

HG

fattdex
01-07-2007, 13:03
For all that they filled up the book with pretty pictures, I'm a little disappointed that it didnt have any information or tactics on formations for the different races (Similar to the armoured battlrgroup or whatever formations from imperial armour 1)

HarkonGreywolf
01-07-2007, 13:42
I guess its a very individual game, a bit like Newcromunda where tactics depend too much on the individual player or scenario being played.
Some hints would have been good though, but you pick up styles and tactics etc from playing and losing! :D
(I always reckon you can learn more from a loss than a win! Which is usually just as well for me! LOL)

HG

fattdex
02-07-2007, 10:48
that makes me very experienced, then :P

Tyra_Nid
02-07-2007, 11:06
I must say, I think that formation flying works much better in larger games (esp. 4-way) than smaller. In the smaller games <150, there arent generally enough planes (unless its orks vs chaos or something), and each unit needs to break away to find targets and avoid predictability.

In large and/or multiplayer games, there are far more targets and far more opportunity for formation flying and covering each other.

I find Tbolt formations especially good at wading through massive brawls :D

Slekith
02-07-2007, 11:13
I must say, I think that formation flying works much better in larger games (esp. 4-way) than smaller. In the smaller games <150, there arent generally enough planes (unless its orks vs chaos or something), and each unit needs to break away to find targets and avoid predictability.

In large and/or multiplayer games, there are far more targets and far more opportunity for formation flying and covering each other.

I find Tbolt formations especially good at wading through massive brawls :D

Me too! My planes usualy end up scattered all over the gameboard in small games.

HarkonGreywolf
02-07-2007, 22:26
Even in Dogfights of 80 points I keep my planes in as much formation as possible.
It limits the opponents responses and gives you most opportunity to "tie up" the various altitudes and therefore almost guarantees some shooting in your turn (given the right manoevres of course!) ;)

HG