PDA

View Full Version : Old VS new state troops?

glenning
28-06-2007, 22:01
I'm planning to do Empire in the near future and I have some questions;

How are the new state troops compared to the old ones? I actually like the old ones, but the new ones looks good too(but I haven't seen them IRL so it's hard to tell).

If I decide to go with the old ones, are these still available in shops or are they part of the classic range now?

Help me out guys! ;)

ajthrax
28-06-2007, 22:11
dude the new ones are so much cooler and they allow for better poses and individuality. Buy the new ones.

ZeroTwentythree
28-06-2007, 22:15
I just bought and started working on my first set of new state troops (the close combat ones) and so far I'm a bit disappointed. A lot of that is a matter of aesthetics, though. The new ones have lots of extra crap on them. Hourglasses, skulls, Karl Franz's initials, grim reapers embossed on their legs, etc. They are too busy & cluttered looking, IMHO. I'm not fond of the faces either. I previously heard a few comments along the lines of "that's just the studio painting, they look good with a decent paint job." Looking at the bare figures in my hands, they look awful IMHO. This first box is probably going to be my only box of the new state troops.

glenning
28-06-2007, 22:26
Thanks for the inputs guys!

ZeroTwentythree: Sounds like what I thought, I think the new ones look kinda "cartoony" and caricature-like, while the old ones look more realistic, they might not have all the extra stuff that the new ones have though.

But, I must say that when browsing the forum I did find some very cool(when painted) looking new troops, so maybe a good paintjob could work?

Well, I think I'm going to mix old and new(not in the same regiments, but in the army)...

...or I just go for good old O&G instead! :rolleyes:

ZeroTwentythree
28-06-2007, 22:44
But, I must say that when browsing the forum I did find some very cool(when painted) looking new troops, so maybe a good paintjob could work?

I've been scraping & cutting off some of the extra stuff, and I may use a few older heads.

I've also got to disagree with the other comment above about better poses and individuality. Because of all the cast on detail, you end up with a lot of the same guys. Also, poles for the spears & halberds are cast together with both arms, limiting the posability, which is further limited by the fact that the legs and torsos are one piece and in roughly the same pose. (Not that the old ones allowed for a whole lot of variation, but you could twist them a bit, and the legs had a slight bit of variation.)

Cartoony is a good way of characterizing the faces.

I'm hoping to get 10 halberdiers painted up & posted in my plog in the next week or so.

mikec_81
29-06-2007, 13:29
Thanks for the inputs guys!

ZeroTwentythree: Sounds like what I thought, I think the new ones look kinda "cartoony" and caricature-like, while the old ones look more realistic, they might not have all the extra stuff that the new ones have though.

Well, I think I'm going to mix old and new(not in the same regiments, but in the army)...

...or I just go for good old O&G instead! :rolleyes:

The new figs are actually better proportioned without the oversized hands and small bodies. The faces do have that grimicing look. You can always mix and match which is what I have done. You can use the old state trooper heads if you want to.

Sureshot05
29-06-2007, 14:40
I recommend mixing and matching. The new ones rank up easier, but really lack good modelling options unless your a green stuffer, which results in some very samey looking units.

The old are much nicer for the modeller in terms of pose, and I prefer the heads, but these guys rank up a lot harder and lack the extra's that the new ones have.

When buying, I reckon the optimum is two old boxes to every one new box. Get the best of both worlds (and after this you have two good solid core units).

Melta Pants
29-06-2007, 15:12
I love the new and the old. The new have a definite "warhammer" look, whereas the old look very professional.

zak
29-06-2007, 16:46
You can use both, but the new ones are very, very nice. These have really grown on me.

Sentinel75
29-06-2007, 16:54
I just hate the bare foot models on the new troops.. ok for bretonnian peasants or even Free Companies, but state troops should at least have shoes IMO. I think I will convert all the bare foot models to casualty piles showing them as having their shoes stolen or reclaimed.

Griefbringer
29-06-2007, 17:29
If I decide to go with the old ones, are these still available in shops or are they part of the classic range now?

I guess the best place to look would be in independent stores, they might still have some stuff in stock - to my knowledge GW stores just send OOP stuff back to HQ. GW mail order might have some stock still around, too.

Alternatively, look for second hand purchase opportunities like Ebay.

MadJackMcJack
29-06-2007, 23:41
I'm not too fussed on them, mainly because they look like too much of a rabble for my tastes. But I picked up a box of them and am seeing if my greenstuff skills are enough to give them some decent armour and boots. If so, I may just start an army of them after my current batch of greenskins are done.

ZeroTwentythree
02-07-2007, 19:23
I finished assembling my detachment over the weekend. I've got a new pro vs. con to report. I guess it evens out.

I love the look of the new halberd heads - way better than the old ones. However, they leave a really obvious joint where they glue to the shaft.

Dr Death
03-07-2007, 14:51
There's good and bad with the state troops. As far as i'm concerned, the biggest tragedy is the absence of much of the old 'slash and puff' style of clothing, something i'm working to remedy with green-stuff. Some of the heads are a bit iffy too (the missile troops sprue is better on that count) but i had a few sprues of the old variety hanging around so that didnt proove too much of a problem. The handguns also arent nearly as 'real' as the previous incarnation.

On the whole i think i prefer the new variety over the old. The proportioning is a major part of this- the old models by comparison look a bit wimpy and fragile. I also adore the detailing- yes it's a little high gothic but it's done well and isnt in the highly troublesome 'bitz' format which makes every piece of detail look like a fridge magnet. The fused torso-legs isnt nearly as troublesome as i once thought since there's only so far you can turn the waist of a model and still make it look realistic.

So in short a blend is the best option and throw in a little greenstuff if you're feeling adventurous. The new models are good but not flawless, just as the old ones were.

Dr Death

scarletsquig
03-07-2007, 15:03
I really don't like the new ones.

IMO, the best ones were the plastics that came with metal add-ons for command and missile weapons etc.

I miss having unique command models - the old empire handgunner champion with the big hammer, pointing and shouting is my favourite empire model.

Huw_Dawson
03-07-2007, 15:26
The new spearmen are better than the old spearmen by far. Same with the new handgunners. The other state troops are just about equal.

Although, I have to say: Buy a militia box and a state troop box. You get the advantage of milita heads and more random clothing, and you get even crazier militia. xD

Militia box > State Troop boxes, unfortunatly. So another option is mixing Militia with the weapons by bitz ordering?
- Huw