PDA

View Full Version : Table Size

harlequin21
30-06-2007, 16:38
So what size table do you guys regularly play on?
Im playing on a 4x4 table at 54mm Scale atm

Crassus
30-06-2007, 17:08
i usualy don't go for big tables. instead i use building/s and create a maximum playing border around the building/s otherwise it just takes to long to get any real action to start. but please note i do play at 28mm

Spangley Special
02-07-2007, 13:39
54mm 4'x8' (characters can and do go up to 40" in a turn)
28mm 4'x4'/6'

Dyrnwyn
02-07-2007, 20:38
I've only ever played Inquisitor at 54mm scale, and we either played one scenario on a 4.5x8 table, or divided it up into two 4x4 sections for two scenarios at once.

Lord Inquisitor
02-07-2007, 22:19
Characters can actually sprint up to 60" in a single turn.

I'd simply recommend playing on the largest area you can. 8'x4' or larger if you can. Obviously this will depend on the scenario, but you can play small games on a large board but not vica versa...

precinctomega
03-07-2007, 12:55
Characters can actually sprint up to 60" in a single turn.

Sure, if they're Speed 6+ and get 6 or more Actions. I'm sure Spangley meant that for a character to cover 40 yards in a turn was not unusual - whereas seeing a character cover 60 yards in one turn would be pretty exceptional.

Anyhow, back on-topic, I usually play on a 4'x4' board. But I like to clutter it up with as much terrain as possible, so it's rarely possible to move more than 20 yards or so in a straight line at one go.

R.

harlequin21
03-07-2007, 16:48
Alright thanks for the advice guys should be of help for the future
thanks again, appreciate it

Lord Inquisitor
03-07-2007, 20:01
Sure, if they're Speed 6+ and get 6 or more Actions. I'm sure Spangley meant that for a character to cover 40 yards in a turn was not unusual - whereas seeing a character cover 60 yards in one turn would be pretty exceptional.

Oh yeah. The highest-speed character I ever had was an Eversor assassin with Speed 13 once all his gizmos kicked in.

And I still only got 3 successful actions. :rolleyes:

That said, I have seen characters roll 6 sprinting actions.

Crazy Harborc
04-07-2007, 03:11
I don't recall using a table smaller than 4 by 8 until GW opened a store here. That's all they have at the local GW store (Never seen a 4 by 8 there just 4 by 6s).

GW's systems seem to be designed to use 4 by 6 or smaller tables.

Over the last forty odd years of wargaming I've played hundreds of games on a couple of hundred tables. ONLY at GW's store have those tables been 4 by 6. Never seen a private table that was less than 4 by 8. Many tables (mine included) were/are 5 by 9. I do not recall any indie stores with tables smaller than 4 by 8

We like to have a place to pile up the dead, to set the snacks and drinks, the needed at hand rules, rosters and armybooks.;)

From what I've read and been told over the years, smaller tables are used alot over the pond. Is it because of less area/room available for gaming tables?

precinctomega
06-07-2007, 09:20
smaller tables are used alot over the pond. Is it because of less area/room available for gaming tables?

Yep. I've seen the size of the garages and basements you guys have. If I tried to fit a 4'x8' table in my garage (in my old house - my current place has no garage) then only really skinny people would be able to play on it!

R.

Crazy Harborc
07-07-2007, 03:22
Gaming tables with fold up legs can be stored away....IF you have a space to use for the storage. Deep walk in closests, BIG size beds, storage sheds (leak proof ones w/flooring).

Smaller size tables can be joined/latched together for in use times. 2 by 4 size, three or four (or more) of them. OR two 4 by 3 ones. Heck, go for broke, make two or three 4 by 4 tables:D