PDA

View Full Version : Considering Beginning necromunda - A few questions

||-MARKO-||
30-06-2007, 21:08
Hey All

Im Considering (only considering Necromunda) soon, as Ive been playing mainstream games for a decent 4-5 years now, and have lots of experience in 40k, have started 6 months ago on fantasy, and played LOTR for a long while (as a youngster though, I didnt know the rules really.. :p )

Either way, It seems pretty good fun and all that, and The idea of personalising the gang seems good. But Im a bit taken aback by the rules - would they be too different and confuse me? Ive had aflick over the rules on the site, and they seem a bit.. scattered and confusing (although that may just be the result of lack of sleep.... ).

Also, Im slightly worried that I may end up spending my cash on a gang and then, what with being a younger player and not actually knowing many other necromunda players. How easy do you think it'd be to get some friends into the game?

Finally, I'm also a little worried it may be expensive... As Im planning on doing the ghosts out of the novels fighting in the hive to mainting a sense of order against riots and feuds etc....

Thanks for reading, Marko

Major_Gilbear
01-07-2007, 16:40
I would start by printing out the full rulebook and getting a few proxy models sorted out. It is easier to read the rules as a book, and you will probably want to try out a couple of turns worth of action as you go. If you have a friend to game with, so much the better.

If you would like a cheap gang to start with, a box of Catachans is a good choice; there are enough models models for two full gangs, and the 'Chans can pass for either Goliaths or Orlocks (the two starting gangs that came with the original game). Plus, if you have that friend I mentioned above, you can split the cost of the box with them!

Once you've had a couple of skirmishes, you can look at the gang creation and campaign sections of the book a little more closely and decide what House you ould like to go for. This also saves you buying the wrong models or buying models with the wrong weapons.

If you get stuck or have any questions, post them here ans we'll all try and help you.

Necromunda is a great game, and I'm sure once you get your first game in you'll be hooked! :p

||-MARKO-||
01-07-2007, 17:36
Yeah, it does sound like good fun. I can probably make my mates that already play 40k/fantasy start up and that, and maybe even find a few other players...

Ive looked through the rules, and alhtouhg they're different, I can recall most of them now. So now I need to discuss with friends and get my gang.

Im planning on making a gang to represent the ghosts, as on many ocasions in the books the've ventured inot a hive city (even in the first book!) and deal with local gangs to get stuff for the lads.... do you think people would mind me using them as proxies for say.... orlocks or something? It'd really suit the skirmishes, IMO...

Thanks, Marko

Major_Gilbear
01-07-2007, 18:24
I would recommend Delaque as a more suitable House; they get Shooting and Stealth skills primarily.

Also, I remember the Ghosts using trophy weapons in earlier books and various mission-specific Urdeshi weapons in some of the later ones. I wouldn't have a problem with using the Ghosts in Necro, but I would make an effort to give them a variety of weapons and not just lasguns.

I would suggest that it was a task force or recon element not lead by the main characters too (would be a bit weird having green characters, and getting the right skill to represent them wouldn't happen too easily).

Besides that, I think they would fit reasonably well for the Guard force; flamers and Stubbers are their main support weapons, and tube charges and Tread Fethers are clearly Frag/Krak grenades and Missile Launchers (weapons that are less "good" in Necro TBH).

One thing I would point out though; many ppl come to Necro from WH40k, and want to use it as a sort of Killteam game to extend their WH40k battles. While it does work and can be great for one-off Killteam games, I would suggest that you start with one of the more official gangs for the simple reason that it helps to get into the Necro mindset. Once you have run a more usual Necro gang, you'll have a better idea of what you would want/expect from running a proxy-Guard gang.

||-MARKO-||
01-07-2007, 19:27
Ok, thanks. Im probably fielding corbec, bragg, 4 named ghosts wiht lasguns, milo (juve) and dorden.

While Im at it, does anyone know a cheaper way of getting ghosts models? the way it currently works out is at 26.50 (minus 4 postage ) and against the usual 20 for a gang, this seems a little steep...

Marko

Catferret
01-07-2007, 20:27
Ok, thanks. Im probably fielding corbec, bragg, 4 named ghosts wiht lasguns, milo (juve) and dorden.

While Im at it, does anyone know a cheaper way of getting ghosts models? the way it currently works out is at 26.50 (minus 4 postage ) and against the usual 20 for a gang, this seems a little steep...

Marko

I think I still have a few Ghost models somewhere. I'll have a look and PM you if I find them. I'll sell them for a fair price.

||-MARKO-||
01-07-2007, 20:40
Thanks. Are they painted? Id prefer them unpainted, TBH, but I dont mind.

Marko

Catferret
01-07-2007, 21:32
Unpainted and unassembled. If I can find them...

||-MARKO-||
02-07-2007, 06:44
Thanks ferret.

I'd probably be needing corbec, milo, dorden, Larkin and 3 ghosts. Id have to buy the last chancerIm using for bragg off GW online...

Thanks again, Marko