PDA

View Full Version : Tooling up a Wight Lord -> ?

Nell2ThaIzzay
01-07-2007, 08:13
Just a question on people's opinions about this:

What do you think would be the best way to tool up a Wight Lord?

Currently, I am contemplating between these 2 builds:

1. Wight Lord - Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Sword of the Kings, Talisman of Protection
Overall points: 114
Benefits: Stuck in a unit of Grave Guard carrying the Banner of the Barrows, this guy becomes an insane character killer, which opponents are weary of letting their big characters get in combat with, thanks to the 5+ killing blow, hitting on 3's (often re-rollable if I get off a Hellish Vigour)
Negatives: At only S4, I am relying on that 5+ killing blow. If I don't get that killing blow, then I'll have a tougher time dealing wounds due to the fact that I won't negate much in the way of armor saves.

2. Wight Lord - Great Weapon, Flayed Haubrek, Talisman of Protection
Overall points: 109
Benefits: A very strong armor save that makes him hard to hit, as well as the fact that at S6 (Great Weapon) I'll be dealing some major wounds, especially stuck in a Grave Guard unit with Banner of the Barrows, hitting on 3's and wounding pretty easily with S6. Unless I'm going against Bretonnians with their 5+ ward save on S5 or higher, I'm negating a lot of armor.
Negatives: Without the Sword of the Kings, he doesn't become as great of a threat as a character killer, with that his killing blow is now only on a 6, instead of a 5. I am halving my chances of getting a killing blow.

So in your opinion, which would be the better build for the Wight Lord? Currently, I am going with option 1, the option that brings me Sword of the Kings, as the 5+ killing blow makes him a NASTY character killer, and put in the Grave Guard unit, the Grave Guard will be able to deal out enough kills on their own, having a model that can take out any characters that could be a threat to that unit is nice.

But the other option came to my mind just now, and I am a bit intrigued with it, as with a Great Weapon, I don't need to rely on that killing blow so much anymore.

gorenut
01-07-2007, 08:36
Blood Stone and Sword of Kings is what I prefer. Makes him very nasty. I think the Sword of Kings is pretty much one of the main reasons to even take a Wight Lord over a Thrall (yea, I know they're cheaper and have higher Ld, but Thralls generally do more damage, which undead characters are all about).

Hywel
01-07-2007, 10:26
Indeed, the sword of kings is probably the main reason to take a wight lord. Otherwise I'd rather be using the hero slot on something else. No room for dead weight. (oh dear...)

Falkman
01-07-2007, 10:48
I'd go for option 1, but mount him up on a barded nightmare for a better save (that'll give him as good a save as if he had taken the Hauberk).

EvC
01-07-2007, 12:25
Barded Nightmare, Heavy Armour, Sword of Kings, Gem of Blood, Battle Standard. Works wonders for me! :D

Used to take one of foot with Flayed Hauberk and Battle Standard, it was good, but the Sword of Kings + Gem of Blood combo is fantastic. Yesterday my Black Knights were charged by a Daemon Prince, the Wight Lord took the challenge and only took two wounds, one of which was rebounded onto the Prince, who promptly disappeared due to overwhelming Combat Resolution.

But then, not every player should take the same build...

Felworth
01-07-2007, 17:01
No room for dead weight. (oh dear...)

Aw man, is it sad that I consider that clever? I really like puns...

Anyway, the first option is the best way to go as theres something special about telling an opponent that you have killing blow, rolling a (5) and then pointing out that their character is still infact quite dead.

My personal favorite is the one that EvC suggested, as I really like battle standards for that additional +1 to combat rez.

Nell2ThaIzzay
01-07-2007, 18:03
Can a Wight Lord BSB still take the Sword of the Kings? Because the wording in the book states the BSB cannot take any extra weapons, compared to the Wood Elf book which states the BSB cannot take any extra non-magical items...

As far as carrying the BSB, I already have my Standard taken by a Vampire Thrall.

vampires are cool!
01-07-2007, 18:47
In a round about way it just means you can only take a magic banner and mundane equipment or a mundane banner and magical equipment.

I am torn between the two options. I normaly just load up on armour for wights and dont bother about weapons, although i do run a wight with the Sword of Kings and the Enchanted shield.
It depends on your tactics and your army selection really.

Wickerman71
01-07-2007, 18:47
Blood Stone and Sword of Kings is what I prefer. Makes him very nasty.

I preffer & commonly use this build as well, the Haubrek & GW is some thing I take on a BD or VonC Thrall.

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-07-2007, 19:23
Indeed, the sword of kings is probably the main reason to take a wight lord. Otherwise I'd rather be using the hero slot on something else. No room for dead weight. (oh dear...)

Put me in for being the only reason to take a Wight. Else you are really much better of taking a Thrall for a fighting hero.

Red_Lep
01-07-2007, 19:53
I'd go with the 5+ killing blow myself.

This is why I love warseer, thank you Hywel:cries:

cwalker
02-07-2007, 02:16
Wight Lord with Sword of Kings is so nasty. He has more hero kills then my vampire.

I put heavy armor and enchanted shield on mine and he leads a unit of Grave Guard with the Banner of Barrows so he can hit on 3+.

Scythe
03-07-2007, 14:19
Blood Stone and Sword of Kings is what I prefer. Makes him very nasty. I think the Sword of Kings is pretty much one of the main reasons to even take a Wight Lord over a Thrall (yea, I know they're cheaper and have higher Ld, but Thralls generally do more damage, which undead characters are all about).

Agreed. The sword of kings / gem of blood is too good to pass up... I have lost count on the number of characters I killed with that one. Its reputation makes it also a great psychological tool. No enemy character is willingly entering combat with this guy, they are just too afraid from that killing blow.

The great weapon combo works better on a thrall (provided you play blood dragons or carsteins of course), as you gain superior attack skill (WS, S) for minor extra investment, plus access to bloodline powers (wolf form, flayed hauberk and great weapon or additional hand weapon for a Von Carstein being a personal favorite).

EvC
03-07-2007, 14:45
Wight Lord with Sword of Kings is so nasty. He has more hero kills then my vampire.

Too true. I have lamented that Vampire Counts are really poor fighters compared to most other armies' Lord choices, but the Wight Lord Hero Killing Machine does make up for it somewhat :)

Kahadras
03-07-2007, 15:51
I like the idea of a Wight lord with heavy armour, the Sword of Kings and The Cursed Shield of Mousillon. Makes him quite tough as he has a fair toughness combined with an OK save. This is then enhanced by the fact that his opponant loses an attack every combat as well.

The Sword of Kings is a must IMHO. A 5+ killing blow strike is a must if you are going to be sending your character into combat.

Kahadras

Bingo the Fun Monkey
03-07-2007, 16:58
I like to arm mine with the sword of kings, enchanted shield, and an unbarded nightmare in a unit of unbarded black knights with the banner of barrows: max out those high strength killing blows and hitting on 3s means you'll just have that many more.

Slyracoon
04-07-2007, 23:46
I'm begging you, take the sword of kings. With an enchanted shield if he's on foot or the Gem of Blood if he's on a nightmare, but please you have to take it because the joy of rolling three killing blows on a unit of Chosen Chaos Knights is not to be missed. To see his face again...

I like to arm mine with the sword of kings, enchanted shield, and an unbarded nightmare in a unit of unbarded black knights with the banner of barrows: max out those high strength killing blows and hitting on 3s means you'll just have that many more.
Out of curiosity, why unbarded? For the extra movement? It's never occured to me to try my BKs unbarded because they tend to attract so much missle fire they need the protection, and I'm quite curious as to how it's worked for you.

EvC
05-07-2007, 10:47
We had a topic at Carpe Noctem about it recently and most agreed that Barding is the best way to go... maybe take one faster unit if you have multiple units as they're less likely to be targetted.

Gem of Blood is such a good item, it's saved my bacon so many times (Equally it has also resulted in the Wight's death against a Dwarf Champion after six long turns of slogging across the table). The other night a Treekin Champion would have killed him if it wasn't for the Gem, instead he was saved and ended up running down the entire unit. Nice!

Scythe
05-07-2007, 12:45
Yeah, the gem is pure gold. I don't like it on the vampire general, as the consequences of failing that 2+ rebound are simply too great. However, on an expendable wight lord, it is golden, and often means the difference between being killed by a charger and striking a killing blow back together with the rebounded wound.