PDA

View Full Version : Nurgle Blog

HiveTrygon
01-07-2007, 20:04
Well, I got 5 boxes of plaguebearers the other day along with 3 blisters of nurglings and decided I wanted more plaguebearers, so I'm sculpting 5 of them and will be casting them to include in my army. I'll mix them in say 20-30 of them. I'm making them bigger and slightly different than GW's so they don't acuse me of stealing their IP. Mine are just big rotten demons with bloated stomachs and such. I own a GUO already for fantasy but thought since I'm making these I'd make something more rotten and fat and thuss a greater rotten demon for my army. I'll probably cast it as well to make different options, such as wings, head swaps, etc. Anyway, here is the progress so far on the sculpting. As soon as my plaguebearers get here from ebay I'll sart making the chariots and beast riders. I'll be making mine sorta like my idol Mike Butcher's but more of a carrion crawler type of thing.
http://hivetrygon.com/preview3/g1.jpg
http://hivetrygon.com/preview3/g2.jpg
http://hivetrygon.com/preview3/g3.jpg
http://hivetrygon.com/preview3/g4.jpg
http://hivetrygon.com/preview3/pb1.jpg
http://hivetrygon.com/preview3/pb2.jpg

CMDante
01-07-2007, 23:19
Cant say I'm a fan of the "liney" look, looks a bit too 40k to me, the face also looks a bit off, think it might be around the eyes but cant quite put my finger on where exactly. Other than that it looks like he's taking shape nicely, it'll be interesting to see the finished article painted.

Cheers,
Dante

HiveTrygon
01-07-2007, 23:45
You mean the stretchy skin I guess. It looks much better in person. The flash of the camera makes it a lot more contrasting than it is. I agree about the face, I think the eyes are slightly far arpart, but since I'll be casting him I plan to make 3 or 4 different head options for my army, along with wings and weapon swaps. I'm going to make a hooded head so this one might end up being that head. I'll have to wait and see.

speedygogo
02-07-2007, 04:42
I like the look of the army so far. If you want to make the army look better work on more dynamic poses. Your great unclean one reminds me alot of Eddy from iron maiden.

HiveTrygon
02-07-2007, 23:05
I like the look of the army so far. If you want to make the army look better work on more dynamic poses. Your great unclean one reminds me alot of Eddy from iron maiden.

That will happen when I cast them. I need to make them easy to cast first. I will then cut the resin up and repose them. :D

armos
02-07-2007, 23:16
freaky looking stuff trygon.. in the best possible way :D

I really like the emaciated look and i also really like the poses... you can imagine these guys as droning monosyllabic tallymen which fits the nurgle theme nicely

look forward to seeing more

HiveTrygon
03-07-2007, 01:48
freaky looking stuff trygon.. in the best possible way :D

I really like the emaciated look and i also really like the poses... you can imagine these guys as droning monosyllabic tallymen which fits the nurgle theme nicely

look forward to seeing more

Thank you, glad you see the idea I have in mind. I did the faces of 2 tonight, have to add teeth, horns, etc. I'm going to try and glance at my belakor for the spines on his back and make them seem to be doing something simlar growing larger until they reach the large single horn. I hope to get you all some updates soon. I also did the spine and back fat of the GUO and will start the arms next. I might get some pics the 4th since I'll be off work that day, fingers crossed. I also got my plaguenearers in the mail tody and will begin making the beasts for my plagueriders and chariots. :evilgrin:

HiveTrygon
07-07-2007, 16:50
I have a few updates for you. I finished the heads on the lesser daemons, the small details are hard to see with my camera, so I give you the basic shots of the group. They have noses and the faces are very cool even though they look flat here.

I decided the greater daemon will be a daemon prince, so I am planning to give him a hood when I finish the horns and a little armor with straps squished into the flesh of his arms. I'll probably give him a tentical with a mouth for the other hand holding a flail.

With the idea of the prince I needed a greater daemon, thus this new improved fatter and more rotten GUO stand in. I did the front of the body and tried to make the layer of fat visable sticking out from the skin where the intestine breaks out. I also did the spine and will be working on the back next. I plan to add a lot of sores and boils to the back side of the model. I don't want to put much on the front to take away from the head and faces and the weapons latter on. I also figured out a way to make the head swap options and weapons swap possible with this one. I might even add a belly plate option down the road when I get closer to getting this done.

Enjoy, comments welcome. :D

EDIT: oh I forgot to add the teeth are not in the lesser daemons mouths yet, I still have to do those, and the cleavers.

bluebugs
07-07-2007, 21:48
I just threw up a little in my mouth, but you nurgle boys like that, don't you!?

Grey_Area
07-07-2007, 22:56
They look awesome. I'll be following this log with interest. Maybe some day I'll be able to sculpt like that (probably not!).

Savnock
08-07-2007, 03:40
Nice sculpts! Very distinctive, and your personal "liney" style is great IMO.

Also, I think "blog" may be one of the perfect words to go with "Nurgle." It just sounds right.

HiveTrygon
09-07-2007, 00:50
I got an update on the greater daemon. This is the first of 3 ,maybe more, head variations. It will have horns and I'm doing the second head tommorrow. I've finished the back and chest for the moment. I'll add some boils later, and possibly worms. The head comes right off and fits very well. I'll be able to cast 3 bodies and 3 different heads, or one bdy and magnets for head swaps.

The second head will be hornless, eyeless, and have a giant ring tooth maw. Only small nosrils will be on the face and it will smell out it's prey.

The third head is going to be human"ish" but have a lot of tendrils or worms comming out of it's mouth.

I'll also be doing some weapon swap options for this guy, a cleaver, mace, and flail-morning star.

Enjoy, I'll get pics when I finish the lesser demons weapons and the next head.

HiveTrygon
11-07-2007, 17:38
Ok, 3 of the head variations are almost finished. I have horns to add and the meat and stuff on the backs of the heads but they are close. You can see how they swap in place perfectly. I did one evil clown like face, one human grumpy man face, and my favorite the cenobite head from hellraiser like face. The cenobite has big bite mouth no eyes and smells for it's prey. I'll be finishing the arms and hands this week if all goes well, then the heads and hopefully in a week or two get some castings for painted versions. :evilgrin:

If anyone else has head ideas they would like to throw out there I'm game for more variations. I may do a sic-fi like leech head also, may be even a human like head with fly eyes. :eyebrows:

HiveTrygon
17-07-2007, 00:11
Ok, this is my last attempt to get some comments. I'm going to post one last update on my projects and it will be big, but after this if I don't hear from anyone there is no point wasting my time with the net. I was just trying to share some stuff that is wip for all of you. :(

HiveTrygon
17-07-2007, 00:14
There are lesser daemons in the first post, some show the faces better and shots of details of the greater daemon and the swapable parts. I hope you all enjoy it. I plan to mount him on a 100mm base and use him as a filler for units, thus he can take up 4 extra models in a unit and I have to field less in the unit itself. I'll make markers for them as they die.

Metal Fingered Villain
17-07-2007, 02:06
This stuff is pretty dope as I'm sure I've told you numerous times here and on deathguard.org. The proportions on the GUO are a little strange tho, the upper body seems far to big compared to its lower part with the legs etc... The plaguebearers look dope though. I'm sorry about the lack of comments, I've noticed that they don't come to often, it happened to me in my eldar thread. It seems warseer members sometimes post only in the threads of their best internet buds. That may be wrong, but certain times I've noticed great threads go to the waste because no one bothers commenting on them and they soon become burried under thread mass.

HiveTrygon
17-07-2007, 02:33
This stuff is pretty dope as I'm sure I've told you numerous times here and on deathguard.org. The proportions on the GUO are a little strange tho, the upper body seems far to big compared to its lower part with the legs etc... The plaguebearers look dope though. I'm sorry about the lack of comments, I've noticed that they don't come to often, it happened to me in my eldar thread. It seems warseer members sometimes post only in the threads of their best internet buds. That may be wrong, but certain times I've noticed great threads go to the waste because no one bothers commenting on them and they soon become burried under thread mass.

Glad you like it. I was trying to stay away from true proportions to make the thing more demon and less human looking. Have you ever seen the old GUO from the lost and the damned books realms of chaos? There were a few in there that had very strange looks to them, I think John Blanche' did one in particular that just creeped me out.

Anyway, as you know from my style I tend to exagerate everything, from the skin stretchy line work, to fat, limb length, etc. I did several tyranids which were super thin as that seems to be what I picture them as. I guess I should take people's comments into suggestion but I get these strange ideas I just can't seem to change, they just force me to keep them going. I do however like hearing people's ideas and incorporating them into my own twisted image. For instance the cenobyte head here was sota inspired by your old rhinos with the "big plank teeth", as I call them.

Anyway, can't wait to see what new stuff your up to, especialy that thing you have going over at death guard forums. :D;)

Metal Fingered Villain
17-07-2007, 04:05
Word, yea I ran out of greenstuff so that project is put on hold for a while. It will be back up and running shortly though. Yea, It has become apparant that you like to work in a certain style, but don't we all? I think its indefinetely important for each individual artist to hold their own style and as long as you stick to that style and allow yourself to take in new things to help your style evolve its all good. Some people may say, oh you stick in this area to much, as I've had that a lot. But if you take in what people are saying about certain things and apply them to your same style it will transcend where you were before and take you to another plateau. I dig your style, dont change it, work with it, push it, mould it, evolve it. God that sounds like some stupid pokemon slogan now. I'm stoked to see how these turn out in the end, I'd love if you PM'd me progress even if no one is reading the thread or the thread dies. If you could kick me a couple of those casts, I'd love to paint a couple up.
-The Villain

HiveTrygon
18-07-2007, 00:42
Sure thing, once I get my mold rubber and cast a few I'll send you a PM. ;)

Jonahmaul
25-07-2007, 13:40
HT - I've just stumbled across this thead whilst looking for some ideas for painting a Nurgle Chaos Warrior. Don't let lack of replies put you off. You tend to find that project logs don't always get a lot of feedback & will often get viewed even if people don't leave replies (your thread has over 700 views even if ony 19 replies). Not so keen on the GUO, as was said it looks a bit out of proportions & I would've liked to have seen more of the internal organs spilling out, not too keen on the faces either but then you are far more skilled than I'm ever going to be in sculpting! I really love the Plaguebearers though. They may be a little thin but I don't think this is a problem as they look very pestilent. I don't think IP would be much of an issue unless you are going to cast for commercial purposes? Are you going to post pictures of these once you painted them?

HiveTrygon
26-07-2007, 23:33
Yes, I plan to paint them up. I'm also making another smaller scale GUO. This one was more for fun than anything and stands around 4 inches tall. I'm making a smaller version with similar looks to it I'll post eventually. It fits on a 40-50mm base.

I have the plaguebearers weapons finished now and only have a hand to finish up and should be getting them molded up. I am working on a few minis of my own right now to sell for pocket money and support my GW habbit, so they are taking up a little of my time right now. :(

Jonahmaul
27-07-2007, 09:05
Looking forward to seeing them painted up. You working on anything interesting? Is it GW 'inspired' or something completely different?

HiveTrygon
28-07-2007, 16:35
Looking forward to seeing them painted up. You working on anything interesting? Is it GW 'inspired' or something completely different?
I'm doing some stuff of my own design off of basic fantasy races. Elves that look like what "I" picture them as, dwarfs,etc. They are also true 25mm scale so the other demons I'm making look the right size, and a good minotaur.

Ornithoticus
28-07-2007, 17:29
first of all, i reli like aspects of what youve done, some of its really great. however theres just a few minor points that put me off your work. i find the lined stretched skin a bit over the top, ostentatious even. i also find it difficult to take some of them seriuosly due to the coplete lack of coherant anatomy throughout the army. if you had a look at some anatomy books (try looking at the propertions of limbs to body, arms to legs, etc. - the faces could be a bit more 3d aswell) and maybe toned down the textured skin a bit then i think you could have a really good thing going. of course these are only suggestions and you may already be aware of these things and are just ignoring them because you want to work with you're own style. in which case i apologise

HiveTrygon
28-07-2007, 18:47
first of all, i reli like aspects of what youve done, some of its really great. however theres just a few minor points that put me off your work. i find the lined stretched skin a bit over the top, ostentatious even. i also find it difficult to take some of them seriuosly due to the coplete lack of coherant anatomy throughout the army. if you had a look at some anatomy books (try looking at the propertions of limbs to body, arms to legs, etc. - the faces could be a bit more 3d aswell) and maybe toned down the textured skin a bit then i think you could have a really good thing going. of course these are only suggestions and you may already be aware of these things and are just ignoring them because you want to work with you're own style. in which case i apologise

Thanks for the comments. I agree with you about the limbs and such. I did do them that way on purpose and when I show some of my other minis you will see rational proportions. I have some other demons I'm making as well, trolls, and other stuff. I tend to exagerate proprotions to get a creepy or even comical look to things that should be horrific, such as my troll I'm working on. I will definately think more about these aspects with my other sculpts. Comments like these help me quite a bit. I am also not the best painter in the world, and this stetchy skin makes for wonderfull painting, dipping them you have almost a perfect model. ;)

Anyway, I'm tring to decide what to do with the hands that cary no weapons, some will be holding guts but the others are a tough decission. I don't want fists so much but for casting them it's almost needed. :(