PDA

View Full Version : Marco Colombo, a better revision

anarchistica
09-04-2005, 23:09
You might've seen the little revision of Marco Colombo i did on Portent 1 or on The Merchant Prince. I've gone over what i quickly wrote (i was more busy translating from Spanish, i didn't know they just use his 5th edition rules).
_ _ _ _ _

Dogs Of War Special Character

Lord

150 points/model.

M-4, WS-6, BS-6, S-4, T-4, W-3, I-6, A-4, LD-9

Weapons: hand weapon and crossbow
Armour: light armour and shield

May ride a barded warhorse (+21 pts).

Special Rules

Master Crossbowman: May move and fire his crossbow, even when mounted. His incredible skill with the crossbow is also reflected in his profile, as his Ballistic Skill is higher than any normal Mercenary Generals.

Navigator's Telescope: At the start of the battle Marco Colombo surveys the battlefield through his telescope. Roll a D6 for every enemy unit. On a 1-3, nothing happens. On a 4-6, the enemy must reveal any hidden models in the unit.

Magic Items

Gem Of Lustria: Reroll all failed armour saves.

Gourd Of Lustrian Wine: One use only. Use at the start of any phase. Marco will get a Strength bonus of D3+1 until end of turn.

Scroll Of Araby: Magic Resistance (2).
_ _ _ _ _

Changes since last version:

- Telescope die rolled per unit
- Gem always works instead of once per turn
- Win adds D3+1 Strength instead of D6 Strength
- Scroll always works instead of once per turn

Doubts:

- Points cost, though this seems reasonable
- The Scroll, perhaps it should work like a once-per-turn Dispel Scroll, possibly only for spells targetting Marco and any unit he joins

Comments anyone?

DrCamf
13-04-2005, 00:16
he seems preatty well adjusted maybe a little cheap, but not sure there can't seem to find the other special characters. Still he would be a cool character to add to the DOW and would sure like to try him myself.

anarchistica
13-04-2005, 01:58
Well he indeed might seem cheap but his usefulness is quite limited. Aside from the +3S once thing, he doesn't pack a real punch (which is what characters are really for). His other abilities are rather limited. Sure, MR (2) is nice, but note that he can't march and shoot his crossbow so if you want a unit to benefit of it they have to walk or he can't shoot. A 3+/4+ re-rollable armour save and no ward save also make him rather frail.

About 130 points gets you a normal DOW general with -1BS but with heavy armour, a decent weapon (lance or whatever) and an enchanted shield. For another 15 he's got a 6+ Ward.

Marco is worth a bit more (about 40 points), but not much since his close combat ability is rather poor, his special abilities and rules have limited use and he is pretty frail. I even considered making him cheaper. ;)

Oh, and he does exist in 6th already, in Spain they use his 5th edition rules as legal 6th edition rules...:/

DrCamf
13-04-2005, 10:59
Your points seem valid enough, I've seen the "old" rules for him and the one you suggested seem better suited for this edition, I would say that they seem quite playable.
....now only to get hold of the figure

anarchistica
13-04-2005, 15:15
They're gonna release it outside Spain in the Lustria campaign (more specifically, the "conquest of the new world" thing).

DrCamf
14-04-2005, 07:19
Sounds cool seems a must have for any selfrespecting DoW general.

anarchistica
14-04-2005, 13:23
Even though there is no mounted version and he doesn't seem to have a shield!

They will also redo his rules for as far as i've understood. Will be interesting to see how i'm off.

Porksta
15-06-2005, 22:46
Is there any place I can find the current, legal rules?

anarchistica
16-06-2005, 07:02
Is there any place I can find the current, legal rules?
You'll have to wait till he's released this summer (if my sources aren't mistaken). On the Spanish website they provide rules for him but those are just his 5th edition rules.

Axel
16-06-2005, 19:55
....now only to get hold of the figure

Take a look at the hopping site of GW France. Shipping is hefty at 15?, but the MC is there for 10.

Perhaps if we can mange to a collect ouple of around 5 aspirants who are willing to pay 13? + real postage for a padded letter we can save on the postage :rolleyes:

anarchistica
16-06-2005, 20:02
The mini will be released outside of Spain in a few months.

Porksta
16-06-2005, 22:32
Yeah, on the US site you can Advance Order it. $15 US, and there are only 50 left.

anarchistica
17-06-2005, 07:07
Yeah, on the US site you can Advance Order it. $15 US, and there are only 50 left.
LOL! Dude, they got tons of all those "limited edition" minis.

boogle
24-06-2005, 23:31
he may appear in WD rules wise when he's released in events