PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf List take 427

Rimmz
02-07-2007, 14:31
Ive been trying to hammer out a good solid core for a wood elf army. I don't have the models yet (only 1 box of glade riders so far) so I am trying to come up with a decent list before I buy a bunch of crap Ill never use (I did that with Chaos :cries: )

One of the things I have read in my Wood Elf research is that it is hard to deal with a eclectic WE list because it poses so many different kinds of threats. This is what I tried to go for in this list. Lemme know what ya think.

2250 Pts - Wood Elf Army

Noble @ 141 Pts
General;
Light Armor; Shield
Spear of Twilight
Helm of the Hunt
Elf Steed

Spellsinger @ 152 Pts
Magic Level 1
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
Elf Steed

Alter Highborn @ 281 Pts
Great Weapon
Bow of Loren
Arcane Bodkins
Amber Pendant

2x10 Glade Guard @ 120 Pts

2x8 Scouts @ 136 Pts

2x5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

3x10 Wardancers @ 201 Pts
Musician; Champion

2x6 Waywatchers @ 144 Pts

Casting Pool: 3
Dispel Pool: 3
Models in Army: 91

Total Army Cost: 2235

Also came up with a list that dropped 1 of the Waywatchers and 1 of the Wardancers for 2 units of Dryads. Which may be better but I'm not a big fan of the treekin. Plus I'm going to do it in a Winter theme so to stay fluffy it should mostly be elves. Besides we already got 1 guy here that plays a WENO army :p

RavenBloodwind
03-07-2007, 00:00
Just a few thoughts:
Your characters are adequately built although you're a bit light on magic defense. If you pick up dryads (see below) a branchwraith with cluster of radiants is a good addition (okay to keep the scroll caddie if your local gamers make it mandatory).

Your troops are also generally good although I'd suggest a few changes:
1) Scouts are really overpriced for their limited effectiveness. For 5 points extra you get to scout, give up your S4-at-short-range bows and lose the (marginally useful) ability to get rank bonus and remove opponents rank bonus. Given you have waywatchers, you'll run out of places to deploy the scouts and they won't have nearly the utility.
2) Dryads are really good core troops (too good many would say). Using the scouts points for some dryads would improve your combat potential nicely.
3) Wardancers are awesome, however 8 is plenty in a unit and 3 units is probably more than you really need. If you already had 30 of these $4-each models I'd say 'go for it' but I don't think you'll get $120 worth of enjoyment. Two units of 7-8 is really plenty. The spare points could be used to pick up some tree kin, wild riders or more glade guard (actually warhawks and eternal guard are good troops too, I just don't use them).
4) Waywatchers are great but really expensive. I'd entertain dropping to a single unit here. A great eagle would be an affordable use of the spare rare slot while not decreasing your war machine hunting ability.

I'd think the batallion box would be an economical way to proceed as it gets you the archers, glade riders and dryads fairly inexpensively. Add the 3 characters, 2 blisters of waywatchers and a box-and-change of wardancers and you should be up and running.

god octo
03-07-2007, 10:51
I have to agree with Ravenbloodwind- you have way too many scouting units- you won't ever be able to hide 4 units. I would drop 2 units of scouts and 1 unit of waywatchers. I would use the points for 2 units of dryads, and then for a unit of wild riders.