PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnians vs. Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos

Bortus
02-07-2007, 17:38
Lately we have been playing a lot of small 500 pt. games. Could anyone give any tips as to what could be a decent 500 Bret. force? Oh and by the way I'm facing mostly Ogres and Chaos.

Lady's Champion
03-07-2007, 09:12
Well, obviously at least one unit of Knights! I would have it 8 strong, plus a character.
Then a battle standard bearer in a unit of Knights Errant or a second knight unit.
And some Men at Arms for backup when it all goes wrong. Halberds for that extra point of strength for getting over Ogre and Chaos toughness.

Something like that anyway, extra points (if any!) on Bretonnian Bowmen cos I like them.

Falkman
03-07-2007, 09:17
If you're facing Ogres, Errant knights would be a good idea, as they don't have to take fear tests when they charge.
Giving them the Errantry banner is also a good idea, since that will let them wound both Ogres and Chaos warriors on 2+.

Bortus
03-07-2007, 17:34
Yes, these were my ideas as well. Not much else I suppose at 500 pts.

Cornholio
03-07-2007, 20:43
you need to get as many of the hardest hitting units possible. my two cheif enemies are ogres and chaos, and the only reason i do any well is with large blocks of black orcs or a giant or two. you may be screwed because there is a limit to the ammount of power you can pack into 500 points. from my heart though, the best of luck, both armies will give you tough fights, trust me.

Bortus
04-07-2007, 03:34
I appreciate it Cornholio. I will also be using Orcs from time to time. Hopefully I'll be as successful.

Alathir
04-07-2007, 09:08
Perhaps the sword of heroes for when you take on their characters? Or the sword of the lady's champion will help overcome the high toughness of your enemies.

N1AK
04-07-2007, 13:42
Brets should have a relatively easy time against Ogres. Just remember your out to win the combat, not cause most wounds.
I assume at 500 they aren't making you take a BSB and Paladin?

If you take 5 knights errant + War Banner and stick the BSB in there, before you even roll to wound your at +1 outnumber, +1 rank, +1 BSB, +1Banner and +1 War Banner = +5 CR, before you roll your 8 knight and 5 horse attacks. You should win the combat by 4 or more easily, they route and you run them down.

Another unit of 6 KotR, same theory although with only +3CR. Still enough to break anything thats not stubborn or got full rank bonus.

- -
So thats 400 points gone. Perhaps add a damsel (to use your 2 free power dice), or some peasent bowmen (useful for taking a rank or two off before you charge, and holding quarters etc in objective games.

Tbh Brets are a nasty army at low points values, their are some forces like Wood Elves that will make you feel dirty, but you have the edge on most forces.

Bortus
04-07-2007, 18:54
Is it possible to field a Paladin Battle Standard with a magic item such as "The Wyrmlance"?

Falkman
04-07-2007, 22:00
Yes, as long as you don't give him a magic banner, you can give him other magic items.
A friend of mine uses this to get around the fact that a BSB can't take a mundane lance.

Bortus
07-07-2007, 05:07
Yeah that was my idea thanks Falkman.

Bortus
07-07-2007, 06:38
N1AK those are all great ideas and it's what I was thinking too but your forgeting the last 100 or so will be taken up by the general. It would be awesome though to get some bowmen out there though. I do have one more question about this though. Assuming 2 units of Ogres in a 500 pt. game do I charge one unit of Ogres with both my Bret. units or do I charge them one on one?

Falkman
08-07-2007, 09:04
I think your safest bet would be to charge one ogre unit with both your lances, just to make sure you break it.
I've had my plans ruined by only charging one lance unit into a unit of ogres, not a pleasant experience :p

Ninsaneja
08-07-2007, 18:11
Let's go a little far and say neither brets nor ogres work tactically in 500 point games! You will never have enough units to do anything other than charge when you can. At the 500 point stage, there is nothing important. Take your basic core requirements and a hero... and you're out of points!