PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Guard, and Elf only Wood Elves viable?

Half Eldar
16-08-2005, 20:52
How about it? It seems to me that not too many people think highly of the EG, and everyone's all Dryad this and Treeman that and Treekin the other thing.

I'm thinking of doing an all Elf army, and convering up a pile of EG from GR sprues and GG bodies, and again using plastics for Waywatchers as well as Scouts and GG, and if I wanted to use WR, to use GR for them too. Wardancers are about the only metals I'll have to bother with, and Warhawks.

But how would it run? Got a couple sample lists?
And, if I did move onto Forest Spirits as well, you can bet I'll be trying to make Treekin out of multiple Dryads.

Naghaz
16-08-2005, 21:09
I suppose its possible, though the list was clearly created with synergy in mind the option is still there for all spirit or all elf lists. I suppose I'd do something like...

Highborn: Fighty on foot, likely alter w/ AB, GW, AotF
Noble: Scout; Hunters Talon, Pagent of Shrikes
Sorc: Dispel caddy

3X10 GG
3X5 GR w/Musc.
20 EG w/Full Command
2X6 Scouts
3 Warhawks
7 Wardancers
5 Waywatchers

I dont have the book in front of me so not sure on points, but you get the gist.

fracas
16-08-2005, 23:58
no point in just taking one unit of eternal guard, i'd take at least 2 or 3

Jeru
17-08-2005, 02:25
Something I thought about trying was taking something like :

highborn, BoL etc
spellsinger, dispel caddy
noble, whatever

2 solid blocks of EG, and then a unit or two of treekin pushing in front of them.

Drayds on the sides for flank protection, Treeman and Waywatchers for extra loving.

some GG and scout GG w/ the banner that lowers march range.

Curious to see if you could cruise in there with a large chunk of EG and do some damage.

Half Eldar
17-08-2005, 14:29
Hmm, some good ideas there, although I don't think the EG will be able to hammer out a lot of damage on their own. Perhaps with Warhawks and Glade Riders making flank and rear attacks.

2x10 GG
2x15 EG, both with nobles, perhaps both eternal
3x5 Glade Riders, maybe one of those as Wild Riders
1x5 Warhawks
Alter highborn with killy stuff
Scroll caddy

Man, the magic defense is SO lacking.

datalink7
17-08-2005, 16:23
I think Eternal Guard can be good, but not to do a lot of damage. The stubborn ability is huge. I intend to make them an anvil and use wild riders/dryads as hammers.

m1s1n
17-08-2005, 17:21
It's a little funny how there are two huge discussions going on right now in General about how bad the other Elf "Guards" (Black and Phoenix) are, and yet Eternal Guard really shine as being a potentially great unit.

I guess my great fear with them is that the entire army does not lean towards taking charges--which seems to be the purpose of a large block of Eternal Guard.

In order to make the list successful you would need to really support the unit with elite units to slow down and stop the enemy. It would be really difficult to move a large block of Eternal Guard around--so maybe keep the size below 20.

With no real armor save you are really hope that your range units can do some damage before the enemy even gets to your Eternal Guard. Additionally you will really need some fast flankers to finish the job, because Guard alone will not win a battle of attrition.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
19-08-2005, 22:23
The Eternal Guard are, to my mind, a counter insurgency unit. Where the enemy gets too close with too few casualties, you send in a block of Eternal Guard, whose large number of attacks, and superior WS and I ought to see the enemy front stymied, at least for a while.

So a pro-active defensive unit. Of course, it will never hurt to bung in some Dryads as well!

fracas
19-08-2005, 22:34
i see the EG as a pinning-bait unit
by being stubborn, it can hold an enemy unit in place, hopefully a high price unit that are typically sent against another elite unit
and thus allow another unit to make the decisive flank charge

it even with all the attacks it make, it is still only S3. It is the stubborness that matters most. helps if you have a battlestandard bearer bearby.

Crazy Harborc
19-08-2005, 23:37
Stubborn as long as a Highborn or Noble joins the unit of EG(pg.18). Mine did just fine against a Empire parent company of swords. I was able to hit it's detachment BEFORE it counter charged (charge the detachment, then the parent unit).

That 5/6 save is not too swift for 12 point each troops. The price is okay, it's the 5/6 armor save that is kinda low.