PDA

View Full Version : Bows or Longbows?

Petrov_101
03-07-2007, 23:57
Building my first Reiklander warband and was wondering if it would be prudent to reduce my marksmen longbows to standard bows and take the extra points to buy a couple helmets (one for my Captain and one for my Swordsman)?

Having never played the game, I don't know if the longbow is more important than basic headgear?

Catferret
04-07-2007, 01:42
The Longbow has an extra 3" of short range. It doesn't sound like much but makes a lot of difference to your chances of whittling down opposition, especially with high BS of reiklanders.

carik
05-07-2007, 21:50
I'm inclined to agree with Catferret. At the beginning, those extra few inches of short range will be more valuable than helmets. Also, if you're not already doing it, make sure to max out on your heroes; they're what get you enough money to upgrade later!

Petrov_101
05-07-2007, 22:51
I've got 12 men, maxed out on heroes. Lots of bows. Only good cc guy is my expert swordsmen. Hope to use him with my blunderbuss armed youngblood. Other than that, not much in ways of close combat.

TKitch
06-07-2007, 06:32
longbows, or crossbows.

Etienne de Beaugard
11-07-2007, 02:38
Personnally, I'd find a way to get crossbows instead of longbows. The extra point of strength means a lot Mordheim, especially in the early games, and in my experience, marksmen are either running or standing to shoot. The to-hit penalty for move and fire makes the tactic of limited value to beginning warbands, even Reiklanders.

Catferret
11-07-2007, 03:06
I agree with you up to a point. I have found a mix of each is handy because there will be times when you need to move and then a crossbow is useless. The longbow has the flexibility to deal with different situations.

Petrov_101
11-07-2007, 17:17
I have three marksmen with longbows and three with bows. Should I lose the bows for the time being and improve my close combat options? I've noticed a lot of people who favor longbows and crossbows but little mention of standard bows.

Catferret
11-07-2007, 17:33
Regular bows are not too bad. I'd certainly keep hold of them if you already have them.

Sometimes you will spend all game trying to chase people down with H2H fighters so that's when they can whip out a bow and start taking potshots. You have nothing to lose by doing it if you couldn't charge them.

Mouse_NJ
11-07-2007, 17:55
I would mix in a few crossbow as it really does do wonders if someone brings orcs or dwarves you could be in for a world of hurting when they out shoot you with their crossbows. Its always worth while considering having 2 crossbow "snipers" in a human warband to start- possibly having 1 of them be a hero. That way he advance quick for the switch to a hochland when you can.

Catferret
11-07-2007, 17:59
Hochland Rifles really aren't worth unless you have a lot of spare cash you fancy blowing on something extravagant. A Crossbow is just as likely to wound unless you also buy Superior Blackpowder. The Crossbow can also shoot every turn.

Scanno
11-07-2007, 22:45
Crossbows over blackpowder any day; there simply aint enough armour in Mordheim to justify halving your firepower.
I'd go for mostly long bows and a couple of x-bows if you are so monitarily endowed.

Petrov_101
13-07-2007, 14:24
I've removed one marksmen armed with bow and upgraded the two remaining to crossbows.

I've also removed one longbow armed marksmen and distributed helmets and bucklers to a number of models I expect to *possibly* enter close combat.

So, my list has three longbows and two crossbows. Thanks for the advice.