PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves-Are Spites "Magic Items"

chupathingy89
17-08-2005, 01:46
In the wood elf book for heros made into Standard bearers it says they can't take magic items if they have a magic standard. Do spites counts as "Magic Items" or can he still take them. The book says they count points wise toward the mgiic item total but dosent say that they count as magic items in the case of this restriction. The same with lords or heroes that select the wardancer Kindred do the spites count as "magical weapons" and therefore can't be taken. There are probably other instances of this in the book, but with the army im currently designing these are the 2 i ran across.

Xavier
17-08-2005, 02:43
I would say they would count as magic items, since they are coming from the magic item allowance, just my thoughts.

If you just made him a battle standard, he could still have them, if he took a banner, he couldnt.

Half Eldar
17-08-2005, 04:16
I would say they didn't, because they're not magic items, and heck, the Wardancer models have some on them too, including the Wardancer lord.

proximity
17-08-2005, 05:43
The fact that they come from the magic item allowance is a pretty strong case, id say they count so that if you take a magic banner, no spites for you!

on the other hand, they could potentially be treated the same as daemonic gifts :o

T10
17-08-2005, 06:26
By comparison, a Bretonnian Battle Standard is specifically allowed both either his normal magic stuff, or (explicitly) a magic banner and a virtue.

Anyways, I'm making guesses about an army which list hasn't yet hit the shelves around here.

-T10

Yanos
17-08-2005, 08:16
Tricky :eyebrows: . On the grounds that they come from the Magic Items allowance, as Proximity said, you'd think they'd be disallowed for BSBs. However, the text referring to what WElf BSBs can and can't take is quite specific, and in an army where there are Magic Items, Spites and Kindreds, you'd think all would be covered in said text.

I believe I'm right in saying it says the BSB can't have a Kindred either? On those grounds, I'd say that Spites are still allowed, as the text disallows both the other options but makes no mention of the Spites. Sorry to muddy the issue, but I say take 'em, as they're not in the Magic Item list, they're in the Spite list.

Spites definitely don't count as Magic Weapons, as it'd say specifically in their description.

On the same subject, can anyone rationalise why WElves pay 15pts to upgrade to a BSB, but everyone else pays 25pts :wtf: ??

Eldacar
17-08-2005, 08:20
No, I do not believe that Spites are magical items. Hence, a BSB can take them. Them counting towards the magic item total is more of a balance issue, I think, as otherwise, you'd get ridiculously overpowered characters.

Tarax
17-08-2005, 10:21
I'd also say that you can take A Spite.

Also Spites can't be lost by eg Vaul's Unmaking, as it's not a real Magic Item, much the same as Blessings, Virtues, Marks, etc.

Eldacar
17-08-2005, 10:32
You can take any number of Spites if you're using a Forest Spirit character (Read: a Treeman Ancient of Branchwraith), but Elven characters can only take one Spite. They are also a "one per army" thing.

Cenyu
17-08-2005, 10:33
On the same subject, can anyone rationalise why WElves pay 15pts to upgrade to a BSB, but everyone else pays 25pts :wtf: ??

The Noble loses his bow (which is included in his basic point cost) if he is upgraded to a BSB. Therefore the discount.

Xavier
17-08-2005, 11:05
I would say they didn't, because they're not magic items, and heck, the Wardancer models have some on them too, including the Wardancer lord.

Their not magic items per say, but they are from the magic item allowance..

Please, elaborate, what does which models the spites are modelled onto have to do with anything?

Because they lose their 10 point longbow

Half Eldar
18-08-2005, 03:32
Their not magic items per say, but they are from the magic item allowance..

Yes. So they're not magic items.

Please, elaborate, what does which models the spites are modelled onto have to do with anything?

You're right, it doesn't. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm sure I had a reason at some point, but it was probably bad.

Xavier
18-08-2005, 04:55
Yes. So they're not magic items.

But they are from the magic item limit, which you sacrafice when you take a magic standard.

It is probably an oversight by GW not including it, but then again it could just as easily be the other way round..

Just have to wait for the wood elf Q & A

Avian
18-08-2005, 12:34
Generally, BSBs with magic standards may not take items that come from the same quota as magic items (an Ogre BSB with a magic banner may not take any Big Names, for example). Considering who wrote the WE book, it might very well just be an unintentional omission.

And then again, it might not be.

Wait and see when the FAQ arrives.

GodHead
21-08-2005, 05:32
Pfft. The Ogre FAQ still isn't official, and is a sack of garbage. Why should we be looking forward to a Wood Elf FAQ?

Darius Rhiannon
22-08-2005, 17:45
Actually Godhead, we haven't received a Bretonnian FAQ... or at least an official one...