PDA

View Full Version : Sword, Light, Shield Save

Drogmir
05-07-2007, 18:29
I noticed in my edition of the rulebook it states two different armor saves (I assume it's a typo)

One is the armor chart that goes

Light +6
+Shield = +5

the other is the weapons descriptions that states when a sword/shield and light armor is taken your score goes from a +5 to a +4.

So which is the real save?

Crucial to know since I play empire.

Felworth
05-07-2007, 18:35
Both.

Outside of combat, a shield and light armor provide a 5+ armor save.

Inside combat, a shield when used with a hand weapon (not a spear, not magic, etc) provides a 5+ armor save. Add the light armor and now you have a respectable 4+ in close combat.*

*Certain restrictions apply, check your local rule book for additional information.

Festus
05-07-2007, 18:58
Hi

Correct:
A Shield gives a save of 6+ on its own against shooting and close combat. This will be enhanced to 5+ in combat if fighting with a handweapon and shield to the front while being on foot.

Additional Light Armour provides +1 to this value (i.e 5+ or 4+ respectively)

Festus

Drogmir
05-07-2007, 20:32
So it's a 5+ When shot by a missile or magic weapon, and a 4+ when duking it out in close combat?

Wow the rules are really confusing, I blame the writers.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
05-07-2007, 20:53
They can't be that confusing if you managed to sum it up in one short sentence.

Belerophon709
05-07-2007, 21:01
So it's a 5+ When shot by a missile or magic weapon, and a 4+ when duking it out in close combat?

Wow the rules are really confusing, I blame the writers.

Worth noting that the extra +1 save (from 5+ to 4+) is only granted when attacked to the front - not vs. attacks coming from the flank/rear.
So if you're engaged with two units, one to the front and one to the flank, you would get a 4+ save vs. the attacks coming from the front and a 5+ save vs. the attacks coming from the flank.

Drogmir
06-07-2007, 00:37
Worth nothing that the extra +1 save (from 5+ to 4+) is only granted when attacked to the front - not vs. attacks coming from the flank/rear.
So if you're engaged with two units, one to the front and one to the flank, you would get a 4+ save vs. the attcks coming from the front and a 5+ save vs. the attacks coming from the flank.

Ah now that I didn't read.

The whole Flanking fighting section seems to be the worst of all the sections.

Thanks.

soots
06-07-2007, 01:00
Its considered a parrying rule. As in the user can use the shield for parrying and this gives them an extra +1 save in melee.

note also its only for Mundane Normal weapons (no halberds, Spears, GW, magic weapons etc etc)