PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pts Chaos TOTAL N00B list

The_Chaos_Seer
17-08-2005, 07:18
I've got very little idea of what I'm doing here... I'm basically following Army Builder, trying to make an army that sounds appealing both for modelling and for fighting before I start spending money...

Anyways, here's what I've come up with:

Heroes
Chaos Lord Xyvik - MoU, Daemonic Mount, Chaos Runesword, Bane Shield, General.
360 pts

Aspiriing Champion Trygor - Shield, Great Fang.
132 pts

Core

10 Chosen Knights of Chaos - Joined by the Lord
450 pts

20 Chaos Warriors - Musician.
286 pts

2X20 Chaos Mauraders - Musicians and Chieftans.
230 pts (Total)

Special

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth - Xtra hand weapon and L.Armor.
304 pts

5 Minotaurs - Light Armor, Xtra Hand Weapons.
235 pts

1997 pts

I'm not sure if this is effective or not... But the numbers are big :D. I play 40K, so Im trying to adapt. Can someone help me out?

Sanjuro
17-08-2005, 10:02
Hey, don't sweat it mate. First time army lists always leave something to be desired.

Yours isn't really very effective, not against an opponent who knows what he is doing. The 10 chosen knights are way too big. You don't need two ranks of chosen knights - you pay too much for that rank bonus (and possibly outnumbering bonus too). Leave them in one rank. If ya really want chosen knights (most agree that they are not very effective for their enormous points cost) drop them down to 6 and put the lord on a normal steed and put him in that unit.

Chaos warriors are considered by some to be overcosted and slow. They do have their moments, though, and when utilized right they are very good. They are just too easy to avoid for a competent opponent.

The marauder units are a good start - you need light armour and shields on them, and you will also want a standard in all your "main combat units" (units that you want to be able to hold their own against the enemy) since it gives a bonus to your Combat Result (you will want a high Combat Result). Don't use banners in small supporting units though - they give away extra points if the enemy defeats the unit carrying them (in close combat). The only way to be sure which way is right is to trial and error - test out different army list and see how they work for you.

The Shaggoth is universally considered a very very bad choise. I'd say skip it and take a chaos giant instead.

Minotaurs are good. Some people will say they should be in no bigger units than 5, but I have used monster units of 5 with success, so this is more or less up to personal preference.

Don't hesitate to ask if you are unsure of anything!

Riddy
17-08-2005, 11:44
Something i would consider is taking a look at is the chaos tactica in the Tactics section, i'm not sure how much information is in there but i'm sue it will give you a couple of pointers as to what make a good army.

The_Chaos_Seer
17-08-2005, 15:50
After reading over your helpful advice, I've gon back and restructured my list... I still kept the warriors and knights, though cut them in half. Shaggoth's gone to.

Heroes
Chaos Lord Xyvik - MoU, Mount, Chaos Runesword, Bane Shield, General.
358 pts

Aspiriing Champion Trygor - MoU, Shield, Great Fang.
132 pts

Core

10 Chaos Warriors - Musician, Standard Bearer, Shield.

5 Chosen Chaos Knights - The Flesh Banner with Bearer.

2X20 Chaos Mauraders - Musicians, Chieftan, Standard Bearer, Flails, Light Armor, Shields.
310 pts (Total)

2X6 Mauraders on Horseback - Throwing Axes, Shields, Musician and Standard Bearer
264 pts

Special

Chaos Giant - Mutant Monstrosity.
225 pts

235 pts

1987 pts (Woo - The year I was born!)

My strategy is to pluck the lord with the knights and the champion with the warriors, and use the Mauraders and Knights to restrict the enemies movement, so that they can't so easily evade my mauraders or warriors, while the Giant and Minotaurs Look scary, get into combat if possible, and if not, take hits. My main opponent will be about as inexperienced as me, but there are other people I'll be facing. Undead, for example. My friend will be playing Skaven.

nurgle_boy
17-08-2005, 17:56
please excuse my ignorance, but what is the 'great fang' ?

i cant find it in the hordes army book...

as for the list, the core units arent big enough for my likeing. if your going for a big unit, bulk the mauraudedrs up to 25 strong. that way you can take 5 l;osses before losing a rank bonus.

The_Chaos_Seer
17-08-2005, 19:40
I'm not sure what to ay - I'm using Army Builder, and it's 50 pts I believe - Ignores saves. I'm just trying to get a feel for an army that looks good with a rough statline before I puchase anything, not having the money to waste on irrelevant army books. I don't want to end up buying the HoC book and then go "Meh... They're not my style."

I've done that already too much with 40K :D

Megilain
18-08-2005, 12:40
The Great Fang can be found on the Beast of Chaos book. As for the list, perhaps you could consider removing the standards from the marauder horseman. They are a weak combat unit on their own (at least without flails) and can tackle a few units succesfully without support. By giving them a banner you just risk giving your opponent an extra 100 points (almost the cost of the unit itself), while the benefit can be very little. Since the horsemen units are also equipt only with ranged weapons and nothing that helps them in close combat, I would suggest you either ditch the banners or find a way to give the unit either flails or spears.

If you decide to help them you could consider adding more chaos warriors. they are not most efficient unit point vise, but I would still get at least 12 of them to make the unit more effective or tarde them for another unit of marauders...

Cpt. Drill
18-08-2005, 12:59
Yeah you may want some magic.. and the unit of knights needs to be sliced in half.. as a unit of 10 will never see combat!

also try to get some beastmen! as they are teh_awsome (sorry about the leet)

and slaanesh magic.. its the way to win!

PelsBoble
18-08-2005, 14:20
I got a few things i would liek to comment:

Heroes
Chaos Lord Xyvik - MoU, Mount, Chaos Runesword, Bane Shield, General.
358 pts

Give him GW and Armor of damnation and if your points allow it the gaze of the gods.

Aspiriing Champion Trygor - MoU, Shield, Great Fang.
132 pts

Upgrade him to Exalted champ, which gives alot for the points imo. Also give him a GW (great weapon), and depending on what you give your lord, AoD or gaze.

Core

10 Chaos Warriors - Musician, Standard Bearer, Shield.

If you gonna run these guys in 2x5 then you should drop the SB as they will only be a support unit for the marauders.

5 Chosen Chaos Knights - The Flesh Banner with Bearer.

Give these full command and preferably with the banner of rage or a warbanner

2X20 Chaos Mauraders - Musicians, Chieftan, Standard Bearer, Flails, Light Armor, Shields.
310 pts (Total)

To be honest i would rather have blocks of 25 (5x5) and you should really drop the flails. Give them just handweapon, shield light armor and full command

2X6 Mauraders on Horseback - Throwing Axes, Shields, Musician and Standard Bearer
264 pts

Ditch the throwing axes and shields and standards. Give them flails and a musician and thats good.

Special

Chaos Giant - Mutant Monstrosity.
225 pts

This guy is ok but remember that he can kill your own troops if he falls the wrong way so be careful

235 pts

I would rather run them in a unit of 3. MAx 4 as you cant usually get more than 4 into contact with the enemy anyways.

1987 pts (Woo - The year I was born!)

Also as one metioned some magic is nice. But if you dont want to go the magic way you should at least include a Bray Shaman Lvl 1 with 2 disp scrolls to at least dispell the most dangerous spells.

Also a beast herd, some furies or some warhounds could help this list with protecting it from shooting/magic the 2 first turns :)

Another thing you should consider is if you want to follow a special god. Even tho the marks cost some you get pretty nice advantages so its usually worth it

WhiteStar
19-08-2005, 06:04
The Minotaurs would be best in a unit of 3-4 as allready mentioned. On top of that, I would modify their equipment. Give them great weapons instead of extra handweapons. +1 attack isn't nearly as good as +2 strength. They are nice heavy hitters! Drop the lightarmour. You will probably be targeted with 4 or higher strength weapons so they will be useless most of the times. Just a unit of three to four with great weapons is the best deal!

Get screamers or furies! They rock against warmachines and the like!

Good Luck!

fracas
19-08-2005, 13:09
not a fan of minotaurs, especially with light armour
points for points you get more with bestigors
and if its fear you want there are still better options

while getting a wide frontage suggest you can get more into action, what you want is rather to deliver as much force into as narrow of a frontage as you can. this i think is better with regular base size models rather than large bases. a large frontage makes it easier for you to get charged by 2 units, or having to charge 2 units, or having to charge 1 unit then getting counter charged by second unit, and can be unwieldy maneuver wise. just my opinion.

hope you enjoy your chaos army.