PDA

View Full Version : which item would superceed

ebonicmaser
07-07-2007, 17:30
I have a hige elf arch mage with the book of hoeth. The book states that any cast of doubles is cast as IF.

I am playing an orge player, with an item that makes the caster miscast on a roll of double 2 and 3.

Would one of the items override the effect of the other?

Bloodknight
07-07-2007, 17:34
I think they would both work. The spell would go off at IF and then the Elf would suffer the miscast result.

theunwantedbeing
07-07-2007, 17:38
Miscasts take prescedence over irresistable force.
So the ogre items overrides the HE item.

The HE item states that any roll including a double is cast on irresistable force EXCEPT a miscast.
Im assuming your meaning the hellheart?
For the turn its active all doubles count as a miscast,so the HE item by its own wording cannot generate an irresistable force.

Atrahasis
07-07-2007, 17:41
Does the Book Of Hoeth not say in its description "except for miscasts" or does it specifically say it doesn't work on double 1's?

ebonicmaser
07-07-2007, 17:44
Any spell cast by the mage with this book will cast with IF on any successful casting roll which includes any double, except a miscast

ebonicmaser
07-07-2007, 17:46
The item for the ogres is the greatskull

Atrahasis
07-07-2007, 17:56
Any spell cast by the mage with this book will cast with IF on any successful casting roll which includes any double, except a miscastHow is that unclear?

theunwantedbeing
07-07-2007, 18:05
Neither item overrides the other to be honest,as the book doesnt state what it counts as a miscast,it merely states "doubles except a miscast".
The ogre items,greatskull or heallheart simply change what rolls are required for a miscast.

So neither item overrides the other,as they arent conflicting.

DeathlessDraich
07-07-2007, 19:29
Greatskull causes a miscast on double 2s and double 3s in addition to the normal double 1s.

Book of Hoeth causes an irresistible spell on any doubles except a double 1, unless you accept unwanted's interpretation.

Neither items uses the word 'always', therefore this is a dice roll.

theunwantedbeing
07-07-2007, 19:54
Book of Hoeth causes an irresistible spell on any doubles except a double 1

If you read the book of hoeth wording you'll see it says nothing about a miscast being a double 1.
The item merely states that you apply its effect for doubles unless its a miscast.

No dice roll.

Belerophon709
07-07-2007, 21:03
My conclusion (like some of the above) would have to be:

Miscast-result on double 1s, 2s and 3s
IF-result on double 4s, 5s and 6s

Because: IF on doubles, except for when miscasting. Miscasting, in this case, is the result of double 1s, 2s and 3s. Pretty simple in my book.