PDA

View Full Version : General Advice on Warband Comp

dewey
08-07-2007, 04:12
Hello all,
as a very new player to the game, is there ever any real advantage to taking max sized henchmen groups? I don't know if I missed something in the living rule book, but it seems like it would always be in one's best intrest to take henchman "groups" of one model to up the chances you'll get a 'lad's got talent roll' (after all with more groups, you get more rolls).

Are there rules that state you have to take larger henchman groups, or that there's some bonus to have larger sized groups that I missed?

Thanks for the help

Catferret
08-07-2007, 14:30
The only advantage of large groups is that if you get really good advances and then a guy is killed, you can recruit a new guy with the same stats as long as there are still surviving group members.

BLloyd607502
08-07-2007, 19:37
The real Benifit of buying larger groups of Henchmen rather than smaller ones is when you manage to roll another Attack or two. Many a hero has been swarmed by groups of about 6 Henchmen with WS 3 S 3 and 2 attacks each.

Darktheos
23-07-2007, 22:21
Henchmen cant get 3 attacks they can only get an advance 1 time.

BLloyd607502
24-07-2007, 09:06
Sorry. I was thinking of my Lads got tallent ghoul.

Catferret
24-07-2007, 14:18
They can get 3 Attacks with an additional weapon...

Ister Flersson
04-08-2007, 12:35
Ghouls can get 3 attacks... they start with 2

Deng Ham
04-08-2007, 12:46
My advice to a new warbend is to max out on heros. Then have henchmen in groups of 2. This way you can keep the group even if one is killed. And you have several groups to increse you chance of getting the "boy's got tallent" advance roll.
And I always go for warriors over equipment. But that is not so important.

Fastforward rlz
18-09-2007, 04:28
yes there are advantages to booth as they already stated. There's also the fact that some scenarios require you to roll for groups to come in ,ect. So it's worse to not have 5 henchies to come in than just 2 out of five groups.

Daredhnu
19-09-2007, 22:24
larger groups make you warband rating go down instead of up

cause i think you only count xp once for the group and not for each model so you could get more xp that way.
(by being the underdog)

commandergabriel
28-09-2007, 15:33
Isn't there a rule for not having more than a certain number of henchmen groups in your warband? Thought I read that somewhere, but its been a few months since I've played.

Count Sinister
02-10-2007, 18:52
The experience question is important, as we've always played that you calculate warband rating by multiplying the number of models in the henchman group by the experience gained. Seems to make more sense, but it's just our house rule. For that reason, I've always put two henchmen into each group, as it offers you the best of both worlds. You have more groups, and therefore more chance of getting 'the lad's got talent', but you also have enough in each group that if a model is killed, or promoted, that you can still add to the group by hiring veterans. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth!

Fastforward rlz
05-10-2007, 04:07
Yes Count Sinister is correct. That's how you handel the experience. It would be broken the other way. You add the boxes of exp. filled and multiply by number of henchmen in that group. As far as the rest of his post goes that's just oppinion, but he does seem to have a point and I may just keep that in mind.