PDA

View Full Version : All spider rider army?

de Selby
09-07-2007, 13:56
I've been pondering building an all spider rider force, as my more conventional all-goblin army never really got off the ground and it would mean fewer, funner models to paint. Obviously this is a highly themed army and would probably mean losing either a) most games or b) all games.
I've been reading Avian's helpful web pages on fast cavalry etc which confirmed my suspicions about extremely marginal effectiveness without support.

I'm thinking something along the lines of goblin warboss and big boss BSB on gigantic spiders, goblin shamans in 'spider chariots' (counting as wolf chariots), at least 80 forest goblin spider riders, plus more 'spider chariots' as specials.

The justification for the spider chariots idea is threefold: one; I don't have a way of mounting my shamans on spiders otherwise, two; chariots are about the only thing in the army with any chance of killing any of the enemy and three; I have some spare (riderless) plastic spiders and some good ideas for conversions.

Has anyone seen such a thing before? What would be the best way of tweaking this army to give me a chance on the battlefield? What cool stuff should I include? Am I mad?

Lord Malorne
09-07-2007, 13:58
You could use the giant spider models as bulls with extra ccw!

Revamp
09-07-2007, 16:38
Mad? Not at all! This is a brilliant idea.

I considered it as well when the new Edition was released and I saw just how tasty those models look. It would certainly be a lot easier logistically to create and although as you mentioned light cavalry is something with is not represented in a very dangerous way in Warhammer (almost as balance for how they display heavy cavalry as irresistable juggernauts I suppose) it would be a very fun list to play.

Urgat
10-07-2007, 10:28
I believe we all considered it at some point :p
I do have a "spider" charriot actually, but it's just the old giant spider on a charriot base. It's not completed yet, but I did the same with a scorpion, this one is done, I used the metal fanatic models as "crew" (imagine them trying to restrain the scorpion, which is pulling them forward). I have two wolf charriots and wanted themed charriots for night goblins and forest goblins (in the event the little spiderdudes come back some day...), but figured out real charriots wouldn't look right. I'm quite proud of the way my scorpion charriot looks like actually :)

edit: pic attached

Witchfire
11-07-2007, 16:23
sounds cool, got me thinking about an all chariot beastmen army, or nearly all chariots...

i've seen impact hits with beastmen chariots take out half a dozen orcs

de Selby
11-07-2007, 16:44
I believe we all considered it at some point
Well, that's reassuring.

Has anyone actually got/seen one?

As for the chariots, I may scratch build them and leave the wheels without 'rims'; just 8 spokes for the chariot to trundle along on. Any more inspirational pics are welcome.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
11-07-2007, 17:21
Fast Cavalry is very useful. It just might work. Poisoned Attacks will help out against higher-Toughness troops... expect the spiders to do the vast majority of damage.

The only thing I would take issue with is Gobbo Ld... or the lack thereof, to be more accurate. Expect to fail a lot of Panic tests against shooty armies, unless you bring the units 15-strong, which is iffy at best with FC. You're generally better off bringing nothing but 5-strong units. Even if your opponent does force a Panic check from shooting, the odds miy actually be withg you that shooting will bring US below 5, thus the units won't force Panic checks by fleeing thru them. Also, They're somewhat cheap, so if a 70-pt unit flees off the table, you probably have 15 more such units. If you can't get the majority of 16 fast cav units across the board in two turns, you're pretty well screwed anyway.

de Selby
11-07-2007, 17:26
I was thinking; a few big units with characters, standards and whatnot, and a dozen 5 strong units with musicians.

Iron Father
12-07-2007, 05:18
a guy at the local GW has one. he thought it would be a nice idea and thought that relying on poinson with a frontal charge would work, he found out shortly after one game that you need constant flank and rear charges for them to be effective

broodjeork
12-07-2007, 10:21
from a tactical point, the only thing u have to do is get behind the enemys line
and have lots of flank and rear charges, never head on exept with the charriots

kroq'gar
12-07-2007, 10:32
Thats quiet an only....

magic/shooting/dwarfs will carve this army a new one.

Urgat
12-07-2007, 14:51
a guy at the local GW has one. he thought it would be a nice idea and thought that relying on poinson with a frontal charge would work, he found out shortly after one game that you need constant flank and rear charges for them to be effective

Relying on poison attacks is like relying on magic, tho... One of the reasons I've discarded the idea. Poison attacks are just like fatal blows, they're bonus, you don't build a strategy around that, it's like believing you can control the animosity tests in a goblin army :D

Oh and yeah, speaking of animosity, one major point: animosity can hurt with a regular O&G army, but with one such as this one, which will rely heavily on simultaneous charges, it can simply make you lose the battle in one turn. And of course you won't use the Waaagh! since it will only give a move for the general's unit (1D6 on one unit in the whole army, big deal), make barely any difference for the other heros' led units, and the only thing it'll do to the other units is give your opponent an opportunity to see more dead gobelins without him doing anything but watch and laugh (happened to me, and, when I roll a 1 on an animosity test when I've declared the waaagh!, you can be sure the following roll is a 6, my usual goddamn luck -> and there goes a complete wolf unit, weeeeh!!!)...

de Selby
13-07-2007, 15:34
From the pov of animosity management, I figured the multiple small units should help a bit. When one unit trips over its own feet there'll be another one right there to take up the slack.

magic/shooting/dwarfs will carve this army a new one.

Almost certainly true. The only strength of this army is in outmaneuvering the enemy, so long-range attrition by magic and shooting attacks will be crippling (you can't mitigate the damage done by a magic missile by charging it from the rear). Refusing a flank works against most things, though.