PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing when charged by multiple enemies

Rytter
10-07-2007, 06:57
Hi all,

In a recent game the following situation came up. I hope you guys can help me out here. The situation was:

DDDDD

SSSSS
SSSSS
SSSSS
SSSSS

CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC

D = Dark riders
S = High elves spears
C = Cold one knights

Both the cold ones and the dark rides charged my spear elves, and I chose to flee. So the first problem was witch way do I flee? Since the Cold ones had the highest US, we decided to flee away from them.
This meant that the spearmen fled towards the Dark rides - bringing them within charge range of the riders. The Dark riders therefore had no problems catching my spears. But did we do this right? It seemed like the most logical way, but we are not sure whether it was done accordingly to the rules. Should the spearmen flee in another direction, or should the dark riders measure the distance via the place the spearmen stood, when charges were declared etc?

/Rytter

Masque
10-07-2007, 09:58
When getting charged by enemies from opposite sides choosing to flee was probably not a good option. You were correct in having the Spearmen flee from the higher unit strength Cold Ones. Then when the Dark Riders eventually made their charge move they would destroy the Spearmen.

Jonke
10-07-2007, 14:25
You resolve charges in the order they were declared. The spears would fllee from wichever unit charged first and the other unit would charge towards the spears new position (they may not make a second flee move) in this case probably destroying them.

Peace!

edit: incorrect! scroll down for the truth!

Masque
10-07-2007, 14:46
The order the charges were declared has absolutely no bearing on which direction the Spearmen will flee. Units flee from the charging enemy with the highest unit strength. See page 19 of the BRB.

DaBrode
10-07-2007, 15:52
The order the charges were declared has absolutely no bearing on which direction the Spearmen will flee. Units flee from the charging enemy with the highest unit strength. See page 19 of the BRB.

I don't have my rulebook with me but doesn't the flee from the highest unit strength apply to breaking from combat?

It just seems wierd that a person being charged from multiple enemies can't choose who to flee from when consciously making the decision to flee.

If that's wrong...just to throw it out there...how would fast cav Feign flight work in a similar scenerio?

Belerophon709
10-07-2007, 20:13
Ok, they flee from the unit with the highest US, but this brings them even closer to the lower US unit - possibly even through that unit - where does that leave the spearmen? Did they avoid the charge of both pursuers? Are they automatically destroyed if they flee away from the cold ones into the dark riders? Do they get to flee again from the dark riders when they complete their charge move? Usually, units are allowed multiple flee-moves during the same movement phase (see other EitW-discussions)...

ZomboCom
10-07-2007, 20:30
Basically speaking, if you are charged from both sides and elect to flee you will almost certainly be run down. You will flee from the larger US charger, which will inevitably bring you closer to the other charger, who will run you down.

Unless you have a tactical reason to sacrifice the unit, don't flee. Hold and hope.

Ok, they flee from the unit with the highest US, but this brings them even closer to the lower US unit - possibly even through that unit - where does that leave the spearmen? Did they avoid the charge of both pursuers? Are they automatically destroyed if they flee away from the cold ones into the dark riders? Do they get to flee again from the dark riders when they complete their charge move? Usually, units are allowed multiple flee-moves during the same movement phase (see other EitW-discussions)...

It's not an EITW situation, because both charges were declared at the same unti originally. If they flee through the dark riders they are dead (assuming the dark riders are US5 or more). No EITW, no fleeing again, just run down.

Jonke
10-07-2007, 22:00
Corrected:

The spears flee from the unit with highest unit strength and the other unit will charge towards the spears new position (they may not make a second flee move) in this case probably destroying them.

Peace!

Rytter
11-07-2007, 07:12
Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers. It seems as if we did it the right way then.
The reason I fled in this scenario was that I had a unit of dragon princes ready to flank charge the cold ones. If the cold ones had charged the spearmen with the dark riders in the rear, they would almost certainly be broken, and allowing the cold ones to overrun/pursuit out of my LoS.