PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the Dark Eldar?

The Laughing God
11-07-2007, 01:02
Do you like the Dark Eldar?
I want to see what people think of them, based on models,fluff,rules,ect, what is the overall opinion on them?

Ktotwf
11-07-2007, 01:05
Yes, but I like every race (the Necron excluded.)

All the races of Warhammer are "evil" in some way, but god, the Dark Eldar are the most "evil", i.e., most scary.

Against the Necrons you will be flayed, against the Tyranids eaten, but death doesn't come quick against the Dark Eldar - they will torture you, and hold you captive, and THAT is scary. It takes alot more courage to suffer than to die.

And, Dark Elves are always cool. A combination of the agelessness and great wisdom of Elves, combined with the corruption and evil of sadism (aka without all the touchy feely Catholic crap Tolkien used.)

Stella Cadente
11-07-2007, 01:28
NO, there just dark space elves, with the worst ever fluff, and models and rules, there damn terrible

victorpofa
11-07-2007, 01:53
Great idea, but thin background and many poor models. I like them, and I am building a DE army (almost all models acquired), but I hope they are given a lot of background fleshing with their new codex next year (according to rumor).

Ktotwf
11-07-2007, 01:57
NO, there just dark space elves, with the worst ever fluff, and models and rules, there damn terrible

Dark Elves are not necessarily a bad idea - the Dark Elves from WHFB are pretty awesome fluffwise.

Noserenda
11-07-2007, 02:06
Gah, horrible models and (in my area (not necessarily ALL DE players) Overly pretentious fans kinda turned me off, shame because Incubi are aweseome models :skull: That and an abject lack of decent fluff is a definate pain, and compared to Druchii, just seem horribly, well, Crap.

Warp Zero
11-07-2007, 02:10
Yes.

Unfortunately, like most I'm sure, I consider a lot of their models to be ...uhm....not up to the usual GW standard we expect. I eagerly await their relaunch with my credit card. ;)

Dranthar
11-07-2007, 02:16
The Dark Eldar are my single favorite army in 40k.

I'll admit the models vary between average and eye-gougingly terrible, but the rules are solid (even as old as they are), their playstyle is unique (argueably the most unique in 40k) and the background, while difficult to find, is nothing short of excellent.

exsulis
11-07-2007, 02:27
I wish GW would get around to getting rid of the 80's hair.

4thPointofContact
11-07-2007, 02:29
DE are a great army of you like a challenge. They are entirely geared for a quick, strong punch that takes the enemy out in one blow, but they can't do much else. Success and failure is usually decided in the first 2-3 turns of play.

Unfortunately, they are a 3rd Edition army that has not received much love from the Devs at GW. 4th Edition rules changes hurt them ALOT (especially the rules regarding skimmers and disembarking, and the end of the Raider Rush), but their HQ and is still among the best in the game. Though the lack of a updated codex is the ire of pretty much every DE player.

The models are pretty bad, but that said, it's nothing that can't be overcome. I converted a squad of Daemonettes to use as Wyches (which I now use as Daemonettes anyway-doh!), and IMO, the Harlequin models can be easily adapted to serve as Wych stand-ins, as could other Eldar models stand in for other DE (just add lots blades and black paint).

Tehkonrad
11-07-2007, 02:31
they have eewwey models (aside from incubi)
but are awesome nontheless

freebooter
11-07-2007, 02:36
I've never liked them since I painted up the ones that came in the 3rd ed starter set for a mate of mine.
They were hideous ugly models and I could never understand why the sculpter decided that spikes=evil. Therefore Lots of spikes=very evil.

I don't particularily like their list either. One thing I've learned from seeing my friends try and work them out is they either have a completely underpowered list that gets butchered or an immensley powerful list.

I just don't like them one iota.

They need new models (without spikes) and a completely new list. Then I may like them, but I would rather squats come back :(

Jerichoholic104
11-07-2007, 02:50
4th point... I don't know what you mean by the disembarking and skimmers and the end of the raider rush... as far as I know you can still hop out of a skimmer and assault in the same turn. Raider Rush is still alive and well.

As far as the Dark Eldar go, I like them a lot. I think they are the most fun army to field.

kikkoman
11-07-2007, 02:52
Pretty awful models. Fluff is kinda goofy, but then all the have is a thin 3rd ed pamphlet.

Think they should've been more broad to represent Rogue Trader-esque and 2nd ed Eldar pirates than being specifically "Spikey Eldar that live in this hole in the webway"

Furtive Noise
11-07-2007, 02:57
I, like a lot of people, like the potential of DE... there's a good core concept to their background and playstyle, it just needs to be refined; fleshed out story, aesthetic, balanced armylist, and most importantly new models.

4thPointofContact
11-07-2007, 03:01
4th point... I don't know what you mean by the disembarking and skimmers and the end of the raider rush... as far as I know you can still hop out of a skimmer and assault in the same turn. Raider Rush is still alive and well.

As far as the Dark Eldar go, I like them a lot. I think they are the most fun army to field.

My bad, it's been awhile. I do remember some change in the skimmer rules between 3rd and 4th that made the Raider Rush a lot less viable tactic for expensive Wych armies like mine.

I remember now, it had to do with the wounds and entanglement following a crashed fast-moving vehicle. It sucks when massed bolter fire can take down a Raider full of Wyches, who then will likely have to cross open ground to get to assault. Thus, WWP armies were born.

Templar Ben
11-07-2007, 03:41
No they are dark elves in space. I am sure they will redo the army and it will languish but such is life.

Dranthar
11-07-2007, 04:35
My bad, it's been awhile. I do remember some change in the skimmer rules between 3rd and 4th that made the Raider Rush a lot less viable tactic for expensive Wych armies like mine.

That'd be the 'skimmers no longer block line of sight' rule, which basically negated our ability to hide our expensive wych/incubi raiders behind cheapo warrior raiders.

Unfortunately, they are a 3rd Edition army that has not received much love from the Devs at GW

Worse than that - they're a 3rd edition army list with the remnants of 2nd edition rules (stares accusingly at the Talos sting) :rolleyes:

kenny3760
11-07-2007, 05:50
I like playing them, but a lot of the models are just plain awful. I still remember the shock on peoples faces when I used the WWP for the first few times. The Talos is a monster and Incubi just eat marines for breaky.
Some units are just too quirky or poorly thought out to be useful but I guess that will change with the new codex.

Corax
11-07-2007, 05:52
Conceptually, I like the DE a lot. The models...not so much. I think they definitely have a place in 40k, I just wish GW would pull their thumb out and get on with bringing them up to date. If they can produce a WD list for BA, why not a 'get you by' list for DE?!

Personally, I love the DE as a concept, but the models are so awful as to make me want to poke my eyes out (a real possibility given the pointyness of the current models!). If they ever get around to resculpting them, I will be first in line for the new models.

VigdisVZ
11-07-2007, 05:52
They seem to play interesting. But their background and models could do with a slight tweaking.

Thylacine
11-07-2007, 07:34
G'day all.

For a vile, debauched, drug taking (combat), slave owning race of semi-nomadic pirates, they are great. The concept was good but GW just seemed to run out of steam with them. The models are nice, the blade thing is different but they could be better, I would have liked to have seen them a little 'beefer', and the guns need re-doing, as they basically all look the same. DETAIL is what's lacking, the DE need some new plastics and rather quickly.

As for the vehicles they are good, fast, almost flimsy could do with a decent upgrade sprue, even Forge World only has one model for the DE and it is not that good http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/IAD001.jpg. Moving on to the Talos, strange concept, crap model, a good idea gone wrong.

The game play of DE is good, they need to be played fast as they are best up close where they can do their wet work. When a DE player stands back and won't commit for a turn or two, he will quickly loose models. I have lost a few squads of Grey Hunters to fast moving DE characters on jet bikes, in one game only the WGBG and assault cannons were able to turn the tide and this is when my opponent wrong guessed his distance and moved too close. I generally look forward to playing a DE army as they demand a skilled player and the games are usually good. By the end of turn one you will know if your opponent knows his army and the game will be good or if he is a toss hoping to win on wargear, using a little seen army.

All in all the DE are good but in need of a tidy up.

:chrome:Thylacine:chrome:

colmarekblack
11-07-2007, 10:02
The rules are the most solid/balanced out there despite being over 6 years old. Sure the models are looking a bit tired but aside from that the Dark Eldar are great army to play with. When they get re-released I'll def buy em.

Brother Loki
11-07-2007, 10:21
I like the concept and the potential they have, but I dislike most of the model range. The only good figures in the range are the special characters, unfortunately.

Souleater
11-07-2007, 10:52
Dark Eldar are cool. Evil Souleating Space Elf Pirates. The epitomy of cool.

I love that they are not just Chaos Worshipping Eldar but hate She Who Thirsts and will join up with the Craftworlders to fight Her.

I love their combination of speed and hitting power at the expense of armour worth spit. They are great fun to play. Not as difficult as some people make out. Use cover and target priority as you would with any army.

Sadly they are only on their first 'incarnation' so the figure aren't too hot. And a lack of support in the background hasn't helped, either.

Nurglitch_PS
11-07-2007, 11:38
The idea is decent enough I guess. The minis are just... *shudder*. Some of the worst crap that ever came out of GW.

Scythe
11-07-2007, 12:42
Some parts of the concept were just wrong... mainly the Eldar part. They're Elves, in space, but they are evil! Just a ripoff too far for me (comming from a Dark Elves player, mind). They would have worked a lot better as a generally Alien piratical race. Other than that, the models are pretty dire as well. Definitelty not a selling point for the race.

Tough I do really like the playing variety the DE bring to the table. They have a unique, very aggressive playing style combining awesome offensive power with extremely brittle troops and vehicles. Very welcome in a playing envoirnement overwhelmed with MEQs.

Greatoliver
11-07-2007, 13:11
Personally, I like them in the middle - I don't like some of their stuff on the edges...

However, in reality, I do like them. They are a bit silly with all their sadistical ideas and I'm surprised that they haven't been taken over by a Slaanesh demon but I like the Hit & Run approach that they have.

Perfect Organism
11-07-2007, 13:20
Godawful ugly models, not terribly good background and they use up a couple of cool ideas which could have been used to make other eldar more interesting.

If they were just another faction of eldar, like the harlequins or the exodites I would find them acceptable, but as an entirely seperate race I don't think they have enough going for them to justify a seperate army.

4thPointofContact
11-07-2007, 19:44
That'd be the 'skimmers no longer block line of sight' rule, which basically negated our ability to hide our expensive wych/incubi raiders behind cheapo warrior raiders.

That's another one.

I haven't played my DE in ages.

electricblooz
11-07-2007, 20:10
Really, I just dislike wych cult. The WWP mechanical coupled with 6 wych cults in raiders is so unbalancing and poorly thought out that it screams for replacment. Any army that can keep a majority of it's units off-board, have those units appear practically anywhere in the owner's dep zone, move 12", deploy 2", fleet, and charge (with the best CC unit in the game) is broke - plain d'simple....

As an army overall - I really don't see what niche they fill, but I know some people like them so I really don't care if they stay in the game or not as a viable race.

kenshin
11-07-2007, 20:15
I like DE. Actually I will probably like anything that is will spread 40k players around so I dont always see Imperial forces beating on each other.

For fluff wise, I like it. Good fluff bu bad models execution on GW's part. Of course, we should give them some slack, the models have been out for quite some time now.

Sebasthos
11-07-2007, 20:26
Agreed. Also, I find that most players in my area seem to consider the list unbalanced. Can't say for myself, only played against them twice.

Warhammer Dude
11-07-2007, 20:42
I like the DE race. Some of the models are terrible. I think the Warriors, Raider, Ravager, Talos, Incubi, Reaver Jet Bikes are solid models. The rest I'm not so hot about.

Getifa Ubazza
11-07-2007, 20:53
I like the concept of DE. Im not keen on the models, but thats to be expected after all this time. I would love for them to get similar treatment to CE.

Warp Zero
11-07-2007, 22:22
They were hideous ugly models and I could never understand why the sculpter decided that spikes=evil. Therefore Lots of spikes=very evil.

Actually, I don't see spikes at all. I see "blades" on shoulders, heads, arms, and legs. Which I'm fine with as long as its designed well. I'm alright with the concept of sharp things on the DE. It doesn't bother me. Yes, its cliche, but it doesn't mean it can't work. Good design will make a cliche idea work. Problem with some of the models is just the bad design. Its not that its a bad idea...just sculpted or designed badly.

I hope GW doesn't read these remarks and think they need to get rid of all the blades on the DE armor. I think the idea is fine, just the sculpts/designs need to be better. That's all.

zealousheretic
12-07-2007, 00:47
I like what fluff there is for them, the concept is solid and they're way cooler than Chaos Eldar; they have their own brand of evil.

They do have a truly unique playstyle; all the successful DE armies I've ever seen have been super aggressive and very, very fast. DE are the best example of a "fast, fragile, and hard hitting" race in any strategy game I've ever played.

The thing about the DE list and whether it's balanced or not is this: to win with DE, you only use half the book. That is, their codex is full of weak units and terrible wargear. Most DE armies use the same units and wargear combinations because there are only a few good choices in the codex. Combining those good choices results in a really powerful army, granted.

Although I think part of the "omg DE are so powerful" meme comes from the fact that only a handful of die-hard people still play them, so the average player facing DE will probably not have faced them before and have only a vague idea what to expect while their opponent is likely very familiar both with his DE and his opponent's more commonly played army. It's very easy to underestimate DE if you've never faced them before; they're both a lot faster than anyone else and have a lot more firepower than you think they do.

kikkoman
12-07-2007, 02:03
How did everyone agree on DE having ugly models?

Asking 'cause usually with this sort of thing, not everyone can judge taste to the same value, or focus more on content (ex: "I like spikes, I like boxy robots")than quality ("are the spikes/boxiness well executed?).

Did most of us just come to it independently, found it on warseer/internet and agreed, etc.

silashand
12-07-2007, 02:14
DE background and storyline are awesome, but the models suck. That about says it all.

Cheers, Gary

nanktank
12-07-2007, 03:40
Yeah I agree, the concept of the dark eldar, is a fantastic one, who doesn't love enslaving glam rock space pirates, I think with a careful redesign of the models they could really be a kick ass army.

Bloodknight
12-07-2007, 08:04
I like the army a lot, I pull them out once in a while to end the losing streak with DeathGuard ;).

The models are mostly good but suffer a bit from lack of scale throughout the army like 3rd edition Eldar did with the very large Banshees. The Warrior set is IMHO better than for example the Cadian set because it actually has as much detail but more poseability due to a ball joint torso and several arms which are not forced into one way of holding by the gun (seemingly all cadian guns point to the left...). It only suffers from overly large heads. Personally I didnīt put the spikes on them, they look sleeker without.
The only really bad models in my eyes are Mandrakes and Grotesques, these are just badly executed sculpts.

Souleater
12-07-2007, 11:16
How did everyone agree on DE having ugly models?

Much as I love my DE it is true.

Look at this

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060112021&orignav=10

or this

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060112005&orignav=10

They look worse in the flesh, too.

Several sculptors worked on the line seemingly without a common size reference. The Wyches are bigger than the Warriors by a noticeable degree. Well, some wyches are, some aren't.

The quality of sculpting is...wide...diverse...mind-boggling.... from the classic Incubi to the aberrations I linked above

Compared to the modern plastics, eg Kroot who are also thin limbed, the DE arebeginning to age a lot. The faces aren't too hot, either.

But this was the first 'go' at them. If I compare my current range Nid Warriors to the old ones, or my current necron to the old necron the improvement in sculpting and moulding is huge.

I don't think (other than toning down the blades to be more part of the armour) that their concept needs changing much. It just needs a fresh hand and the advances in technology that have been made over the years.

As much as I despire the space tramps of the Craftworld they have some beautiful figures. (I find some a little chunky but what can you expect from them? )

The new DE range should be awesome on toast. I already have the cash in the bank to replace my 3kpt army.