PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my next army

fracas
11-07-2007, 02:02
i don't get to play much but i do want to build another Warmaster army.
I currently have 3k of Khemri and Kislev.
On the verge of finishing 3k of Dwarves.

I am looking for an army that would balance out these three armies and fit geographically together in a campaign (ala mighty empires). I've gotten a friend to build High Elves.

I was thinking Skaven or Orcs&Goblins.
What do you Warmasters recommend?

Woudschim
11-07-2007, 11:44
See my topic in the fantasy painting blog section for painted orcs and goblins, a lot of goblins! It might pursuade you to start a greenskin horde :)

azraelezekiel
11-07-2007, 14:27
Skaven are a nice army.
They can be themed towards the different clans quite easily.
They are also the hated foe of the stunties.
As for fitting together for a campaing, the armies you have are quite far from each other.
A force that threatens the majority is of course chaos.
A 3k force can be bought quite cheaply. You then also have the option of subbing troops for daemons. :)

Woudschim
11-07-2007, 14:45
Chaos is indeed a very cheap and usable army.
But Skaven and greenskins are of course also quite generic foes...

I guess it is up to your playing style then,..

fracas
12-07-2007, 02:07
the khemris are a chariot based force
the kislev are a cavalry based force
and ofcourse the stunties are elite infantry

i guess my next force should be a horde force, and that is why i looked at greenies and rat-things
but the dark elves are a reasonable option too. how do they play?

Cpt. Drill
12-07-2007, 05:03
Dark Elves are pretty generic with the three attack, three hit, 5+ armour save with a few interesting units thrown in. The new commander execution rules are pretty cool! I would talk to Woudschim though I believe he owns a sizable army and has a large amount of success with it too!

For the new army I think you are on the ball with orcs or skaven a horde would be very good and I would suggest that you go for skaven because they have a very unique playing style with a few very interesting units such as the screaming bell and gutter runners (all kinds of tactical opertunity for these guys!) also with the funky command they have they will play differently to your other armies!

Woudschim
12-07-2007, 07:32
Dark elves are indeed my favourite army.
The combat troops are indeed pretty generic, odd thing is, they never see combat at all with me, I always manage with a few units cavarly and bolt throwers.
Which is the best thing they have, cavalry with 30cm shooting, and two attacks at 15, can rip apart brigades and devastate whole units in the process, cold one knights get +1 attack on the charge, so they are practically chariots with a 4+ save.

You do have to be carefull when playing, I find that dark elves are not an army that is very forgiving to mistakes ( I once had my 4 unit cavarly brigage destroyed by a slayer unit in the flanks) And always take an extra hero if you can, and give the general a sceptre of sovereignty.

azraelezekiel
12-07-2007, 12:23
I love the whole fluff thing surrounding dark elves and the army is a strong one to play with (beware of blunders though).
But some of the miniatures (I feel) leave something to be desired.
Out of my 4000 points dark elves, I must have had to request replacements for at least 1000 points.

But all armies can be made to fit/fight using a bit of imagination :)

Dageraad
12-07-2007, 16:25
Woudschim speaking:

I'm not very fond of the models either, the crossbowmen and spearmen are allright, but the witch elves for instance are plain horrible. Also the dark riders and cold one cavarly seem to be armed with ogre cleavers instead of the elegant and deadly weapons you'd expect with dark elves.

fracas
13-07-2007, 23:28
i am leaning skaven now

any sugggestions for a 3k force? built in incremental 1ks?