shields (10)
Total command (21)
Total (116)

Rare Units

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth (295)
Great Wep (8)
Light armour (3)
Total (306)

I need advice on how to improve. And it is JUST for fighting empire firing lines

Belerophon709
12-07-2007, 16:41
First of all, drop the Shaggoth. It's too expensive in comparison to what it can do and the survivability it has... A cannon shot can blow it to bits, since the Shaggoth's AS doesn't work against most warmachines - and it's a large target, which means that you'll be hard pressed to screen it. For the points you save on the Shaggoth, you could include some minotaurs - they won't die quite as easily to war-machines and with proper screening (herds/warhounds), they shouldn't be bogged down too much by "regular shooting".
Your herds stand at 95 points at the moment - I take it that you've included full command (but forgot to mention it in your list), since the herds would be at 60 points if you haven't... Why the full command here? I think you'd do better by just including a musician in case you panic, so you can rally a bit easier - and then spend the rest of the points on another herd or by adding more ungors to your existing herds.
I like the centigor choices - keep your warhounds in front of them to screen and let your slower herds screen any other hardhitters (minos if you choose to take them).

One last thing I'm unclear about:

Is there no magic in this empire gun-line you're going to fight? If there is, a single bray-shaman might do you good for at least a minimum of protection.

Hope it helps :D

deadkez
13-07-2007, 10:46
I agree with regards the Shaggoth, yes it will distract every piece of artillary but you can do the same with a couple of spawn or a chariot for less than half the price.

I think a bray shaman with staff of darkov is mandatory in any beast army, the extra movement at the right time is magic, especially if you use a herd to target a helblaster (keep them at long range, ie over 12", and he'll need 6's to hit you, killing ungors if he does, then get the staff in to play for a total mv of 20", or the other tactic I've seen is put the shaman in with an ambush unit and bring on, charge into rear of artillery hill).

Also, get a BSB from somewhere, beasts, with having 1 less rank bonus & low Ld, need this.

Another thing, if he has detachments, attack them, not the parent block, you'll deny his counter-charge or support shooting, and possible panic the parent if you win combat.

I'd also bulk the herds out with more ungors, just for meat shields and getting you the much needed rank bonus because at the moment, you're not going to get any.

Getting rid of that shaggoth should help you with points.

boc {own}
15-07-2007, 15:57
hi im the guy who put this on. Anyway that is all great advice but theres one problem. Money. I cant afford to replace the shaggoth because it is a very cheap model. If you know where to buy cheaper models then that would help

also i've made a seperate army list tht does have a shaman. It is lv.2 and with one dispel and one staff of darkov

momfreeek
16-07-2007, 01:36
Drop the shields from the ungors! And spend the points on more ungors. Don't use the Fur of Shaggru. Get a bray shaman, yes. Use the centigor's 'move through woods' ability as much as possible. I really don't understand the fixation with warhounds. They're more of a liability than a help in my eyes.

And play the Shaggoth. He looks amazing and is good fun... and he's not as bad as people say. MA7 is big.

He's fast and hard enough (6 wounds) to make even an artillery general sweat a little... a couple of *great* cannons will likely take him down in 2 turns, 2 rock lobbers maybe.. but its nowhere near a certainty. Hopefully you'll be in combat by your second turn anyway. Other missile heavy armies won't be so effective against T5 and 3+ armour. If they concentrate on the shaggoth, your centigors will hit them mostly unharmed.. and maybe before the shaggoth has fallen. Skinks are a problem, but the rest of your army will clear up skinks nicely.

I think only dwarves could prove really tough.

reese3697
16-07-2007, 06:04
take 4 units of 20 strong beast herds... 2 wargors with great weapons... 1 lvl 2 shaman... give the army/characters mark of tzeench... if you have extra points... cenigors look really nice and are fun to play with and against... ambush where you need to... and you will do pretty well...

boc {own}
16-07-2007, 14:57
thx for your help but one problem. STEAM TANK:mad:. i have no experience at fighting them and i doubt with toughness 7 that my shaggoth will be enough.
I have looked for various items and daemonic gifts and i cannot find anything that will take it down fast enough. I REALLY:cries: need your help

momfreeek
16-07-2007, 15:42
not much is more than ST7.. I don't know much about the steam tank but surely the shaggy boy can smack it pretty hard?

boc {own}
16-07-2007, 15:51
Ye that is true but then. The steam tank gets impact hits if i charge! It also has a nasty cannon and lets not forget it has a 1+ armour. now a shaggoth with T5 is hardly gonna last long against that and a firing line. Is there any items you know of that can reduce saves other than great fang. Maybe theres some magic that can. I dont have rulebook so can some1 check lores of beast shadow and death thx:D

Lucky24/7
16-07-2007, 17:08
erm pit of shades dosent work against due to it not having a fixed strength with is a pain.

but whoever is using a stank at 1000 points is filth and should be shot....

possibly hutters spear ? no armour save d3 wound out of the lore of beasts ?

or the lore of metal is good .... but you cant have that :D

Little Aaad
16-07-2007, 18:10
Try rending Sword on an Exalted Champ, mounted, Gaze of the Gods and enchanted sheild. With a 0+ Armour and a 4+ Ward this will hold off the Tank Alone. Its even cheaper than a Tank and a slight chance of winning. But hold the Tank off and allow your Centigors etc. to kill the remaining 700 pts of empire dirt. I know he is a mortal but as long as you dont care about theme this could work.