PDA

View Full Version : First go at 2000pts of beards

Vincent Valentine
14-07-2007, 08:19
Lord with GW, Shieldbearers, Master rune of kragg the grim, Rune of fury & Rune of cleaving (5 WS7 S7 Att), Rune of preservation & Rune of spite.
= 301pts

18 Hammerers with Shields, Full command & Rune of sanctuary.
= 299pts

12 Slayers with 2 Giant slayers.
= 162pts

16 Dwarf Warriors with Shields & Full command.
= 169pts

16 Dwarf Warriors with Shields & Full command.
= 169pts

10 Thunderers.
= 140pts

10 Quarrellers.
= 110pts

Runesmith with Rune of spellbreaking & Rune of balance.
= 145pts

Organ Gun.
= 120pts

Cannon with Engineer & Rune of forging.
= 140pts

Grudge thrower with Engineer & Rune of accuracy.
= 120pts

Dragon Slayer with Master rune of Allaric the mad & Rune of fury.
=125pts

==>2000pts.

To good or not to good?

Cheers,

V.

happy_doctor
14-07-2007, 12:25
-Lord: If you don't plan on facing many chariots with this army, I'd swap the rune of cleaving for the rune of snorri spangelheim...That would mean hitting on 2+ and wounding on 2+ most of the time...(this can take out any chariot except for the black coach in one turn) As for the armour/ward save, have you considered the rune of resistance and rune of stone combo?? (1+ rerollable save...better that a 4+ ward almost all of the time). With this build, you can fit in a rune of challenge, to help getting him into combat!

-Warriors: 16 per unit is not enough... Bump them up to 20, so you have 3 ranks and a nice static comabt resolution bonus.

-thunderers and quarellers are OK

-Dragon slayer:I can see where you're going with this guy, however i feel he is a waste of points... I'd prefer a cheap, 50-pts slayer to give a headache to my opponent, and maybe kill some cavalry with his S6 attacks. Just an opinion, though...

-Warmachines: they are just fine, no comments on these...

-Magic defense: do you often face a lot of magic? It seems so, as you have invested on 6 DD and a dispel scroll, plus MR1 on the hammerers... I believe that the runesmith with a rune of spellbreaking is more than enough against most armies, and the 65 points you'll be saving are better spent elsewhere.

-Slayers are nice, 2 Giant slayers and a dragon slayer can pack a serious punch, be carefull enough to protect them from missile fire, though

-give your hammerers the rune of determination, to auto-pass a break test if needed... Although I find fielding 18 hammerers an overkill...I'd go for 13 with a rune of battle to make up for the rank they lost...

In general, the list is good, and will win you battles...However, I'm talking about optimising it!!

Hope i helped

Happy_doctor

Vincent Valentine
26-07-2007, 16:45
Made some changes,

Lord with GW, Shieldbearers, Master rune of kragg the grim, Rune of fury & Rune of Snorri Spanglehelm, Rune of preservation, Rune of resistance & Rune of stone.
= 291pts

18 Hammerers with Shields, Full command & Rune of determination.
= 284pts

12 Slayers with 2 Giant slayers.
= 147pts

20 Dwarf Warriors with Shields & Full command.
= 205pts

20 Dwarf Warriors with Shields & Full command.
= 205pts

12 Thunderers.
= 168pts

12 Quarrellers.
= 132pts

Runesmith with Rune of spellbreaking & Rune of balance.
= 145pts

Organ Gun.
= 120pts

2 Bolt Throwers with Engineers, Rune of seeking, Rune of burning (1*).
= 155pts

Grudge thrower with Engineer & Rune of accuracy.
= 120pts

==>1987pts.

Better or worse?

Cheers,

V.

happy_doctor
26-07-2007, 22:54
It's way better! (doesn't say much coming from the person who gave the advice in tthe first place, but it's true :D)

-I'm not sure on the rune of preservation on the dwarf lord...By using the shieldbearers the model becomes US3, and is thus immune to killing blow...is it poison that you're worried about?? (as for a reference on the immunity, do a quick search in the rules forum)

-the bolt throwers seem a little weird...I think you'd be better off with a rune of penetrating so as to make them S7 instead of the rune of seeking.

-give the grudge thrower a rune of reloading.Combined with the engineer, it means that the grudge thrower will fire every turn regardless of misfires.

-raise the number of the slayers a bit to make them more durable...14-15 will do.

-the extra 2 quarellers and thunderers will not do much, but you could instead buy shields for these units, so as to give them a chance in close combat versus wamachine hunters and the such.

All in all:
-15 pts for the rune of preservation
-40 pts for the 2 of each missile unit
+22 for the 2 slayers
+20 for the shields
+10 for the rune of reloading
-30 for the 2 runes of seeking
+50 for the 2 runes of penetrating
------------------------------------
that leaves you at 2002 points...to get to the 2000 pts mark, I suggest dropping a warrior (his place will be taken by the runesmith,anyway!), and give the runesmith both a great weapon and a shield.
TOTAL:1999

just a few ideas, but let's see what others have to say!