PDA

View Full Version : independent characters joining units

sigur
19-08-2005, 04:38
When reading a thread about the same thing in 40k rules I came to think of a situation in my last (first :D ) game of WHFB: Is it possible for a character (ork waaghboss in this case) to join a unit before deployment?

And if not: He has to move towards the unit he wants to join. Where is he put then? Anywhere in the first rank, righty? And the movement of the unit gets reduced by the amount of " the character had to move to get into base-to-base contact with the unit he joined.

By the way, did I get this rule right that units (friendlies too) always have to be at least 1" apart?

Thanks

Griefbringer
19-08-2005, 06:25
Is it possible for a character to join a unit before deployment?

No.

Normally you deploy first all your other units, and then all your characters. However, when you deploy a character you can deploy him into a unit that is already on the tabletop (so that he will start the game in that unit).

Yanos
19-08-2005, 07:19
... Anywhere in the first rank, righty? And the movement of the unit gets reduced by the amount of " the character had to move to get into base-to-base contact with the unit he joined.

By the way, did I get this rule right that units (friendlies too) always have to be at least 1" apart?...

Yup, the character has to go in the front rank, unless it's full of characters already (not a very common situation, but hey...)! That's the only situation where a Character can not be in the front rank of a unit which isn't in combat (excepting Skaven of course).

EDIT: Just re-read your post re movement, and you're damn right! Moving on...

As far as I know friendly units can be as close as you like :eyebrows:. But you do have to keep a minimum of 1" distance from any enemy unit when you're not charging.

Festus
19-08-2005, 08:13
Hi

Characters can indeed be dployed in units, but not with units (no hero joining your scouts, I am afraid (excluding magic items)).

The front rank has to accomodate the command group first (ie. Standard, Musician, Champion) if present, then any characters.

The 1" rule only applies to enemies, not to friendlies.
YOu may rub shoulders with your own men...

Greetings
Festus

Yanos
19-08-2005, 08:53
Do Command Groupies not get pushed back a rank if there are too many characters :confused: ?

Eg, Ranked unit 4 models wide, with full command and a character. If a second character joins the unit, can the Musician/Champ/Standard (in that order :D !) not be pushed back to accommodate the second character in the front rank?

athamas
19-08-2005, 09:02
nope they aalways have to be infront..

pg 95

Griefbringer
19-08-2005, 09:21
nope they aalways have to be infront..

Though there might be an exception for the Bretonnian lance formation.

athamas
19-08-2005, 11:19
yes, but they are just odd.

and a pain...

Major Defense
19-08-2005, 11:27
Do Command Groupies not get pushed back a rank if there are too many characters :confused: ?

Eg, Ranked unit 4 models wide, with full command and a character. If a second character joins the unit, can the Musician/Champ/Standard (in that order :D !) not be pushed back to accommodate the second character in the front rank?

Characters can *NOT* [pre Festus' fix] take a place in the front rank that displaces command models. If there is no room for them then the characters go in the 2nd rank and are essentially out of the game while they are there (can't use items, cast spells, grant leadership, etc.) but there are some exceptions like Skaven, Slann Mage-Priests and Damsels. Or if the unit gets charged on the side or a challenge is made - that sort of thing.

Festus
19-08-2005, 13:20
Hi

Characters can NOT take a place in the front rank that displaces command models.
Fixed :)

Greetings
Festus

Major Defense
19-08-2005, 13:35
D'oh! Thanks for that. I should't type right when I wake up.