PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new army

Brother Lucius
16-07-2007, 22:58
I recently been collecting SM for quite awhile and now I'm sooooooooo 'BORD :o'. so I'm putting them in the display cabnet and hanging up my power armer..............For now!:evilgrin:

Has anyone got any recamendations for a new army?

Brother Lucius
16-07-2007, 23:00
oh, and what would be the best piece to buy first.

Lord_Squinty
16-07-2007, 23:07
Anything that isnt S4, T4, 3+ save.

Basicly - ignore chaos, necrons demonhunters etc.
You'll find them all too similair to your marines.

If you play a cc marine army - go for Tau.
If you play a shooty marine army - try dark eldar or eldar swordwind, or nids

That way, you get an army that plays completely different to what youre used to, will take time to learn and should hold your interest.

He who is doom
17-07-2007, 00:37
if you want an army who is far removed from s4 t4 no 3+ then go orks

The Laughing God
17-07-2007, 00:37
Nids are a big difference from marines. You have to learn how to deal with no saves, and if you do get a save usally only a 6+ up one.

-The Laughing God-

xibo
17-07-2007, 00:51
THE EMPEROR WANTS YOU!
for the Imperial Guard.

Of cause you don't need to bother with other gloryboys and girls like grey-nights, soro-righteous, puny xeno scum or even worse some pathetic heretics, as the imperial guard can give you anything you may want or need.

In Nomine Imperatoris!

aberrant_unc
17-07-2007, 01:00
If you play a cc marine army - go for Tau.
If you play a shooty marine army - try dark eldar or eldar swordwind, or nids

Best advice you could get.

My addition?

Do sisters of battle WH

cleansingfury
17-07-2007, 01:00
Go bugs. I am getting bored of my M army aswell and was considering bugs.

They come with the most complete battleforce becuase it has an HQ in it. Plus it could be fun to swarm your opponents or go nidzilla and use tricks that would have made you lose when it was played against you.

serpentine
17-07-2007, 03:44
I would recommend Witch Hunters. They've still got a decent save, but require a bit of thinking to play well.

Vaktathi
17-07-2007, 03:47
I'd say go for Imperial Guard, or if you are ok with waiting, go for Orks when they are redone in January.

failing that, try Nids.

General Samuel of the 101
17-07-2007, 03:56
I'd say go for Imperial Guard, or if you are ok with waiting, go for Orks when they are redone in January.

failing that, try Nids.

join the Ranks of the Guard,what a man truly need is a Trusty Lasgun,a Slim Flak Jacket and his Freaking Guts

eternaleverage
17-07-2007, 03:57
Eldar are a very interesting army to play. Each unit does something entirely unique and has specific roles. Go Eldar for variety.

NickWeed
17-07-2007, 05:29
I would go with the Imperial Guard. They have a myriad of paint schemes and planets they come from. You could go with the Catachans or the Tallaran of could create your own army. The Guard gives you the Choice to make and Armored Company and they are a big difference from SM. Not even close to the best basic weapons. Very very much weaker than SM. You could easily field 100 models in a game which is a lot more than what a SM army can field. To start off i would but the Cadian battleforce box set because it gives you a decent amount of troops and a Leman Russ tank which is cornerstone of almost every guard army. Hope this helps.

Nick

freebooter
17-07-2007, 07:09

You can make a name for yourself with the guard.

Brother Lucius
17-07-2007, 08:00
Extremely hard to descide!

Polonius
17-07-2007, 08:30
IG, if only because they are so varied. Mechanized, Drop Troops, all-infiltrate, SAFH, and armoured company can all be built out of the same core of models, and all play very differently.

IG can also add Kroot, Sisters, Grey Knights, and inquisitorial troops as allies, or provide the core for an Inquisition force of their own. Painted menacingly, they provide the traitors for a Lost and the Damned force. The new cadians are nice models, the old catachans can look decent, and the metal ranges were all splendid, and can be had in big lots on Ebay.

ashc
17-07-2007, 09:30
do a xenos army. I don't see enough of them these days.

Ash

W0lf
17-07-2007, 10:18
Orks. orks are alot of fun and hugely diffrent from marines.

halbarad
17-07-2007, 10:35
I would suggest Dark Eldar as they are mostly underplayed. However you will likely need to do a lot of work on the models as they have a horrible model range.

Some guy (UK)
17-07-2007, 11:30
Right you said you are bored with marines for now, so on the Imperium side of things that really only leaves Guard, or possibly Witch-Hunters as the two armies unlike your marines.

Non Imperium you can rule out Chaos and maybe Necrons.
That leaves you with:
Eldar
Dark Eldar
Tau
Nids
Orks

Out of those, Orks are getting an update in January (army set in December), leaving sadly Dark Eldar as the one out of that list with its current line of rules and models from 3rd edition. Tau, Nids and Eldar have already recieved updates in the last two years.

Personally? Imperium side of things I would go Guard as there is just so much possibility.

Non Imperium? Hmm either Nids (I have a battleforce and I'm very pleased with what I've seen from them so far model wise).
Another choice would be Eldar- I don't know much about them but they are very different to SM.

If you are willing to wait 6 months or so then consider Orks.

ironduke
17-07-2007, 11:33
Go Eldar and check the Trading Forum.....;)

*shamelessly pimps*

chrome_ghoul
17-07-2007, 13:53
If you want to try something different, I can highly recommend a Genestealer army. Buy a Broodlord and a box of stealers first, then trawl eBay for second hand stealers, people tend to sell them in big batches and you can get a real bargin. When you have a load of stealers, add in a few lictors and some zoanthropes. I have found this army to be a great deal of fun to play with, and a massacre is always guaranteed.

Brother-Hyuuga
17-07-2007, 14:23
Tyranids offer a variety of units to choose from. You can build a Swarm, Nid-zilla, all warriors, or all genestealer army. I'm building all 4 for apocalypse.

Brother Lucius
17-07-2007, 22:13
Thanks, your advic means alot 2 me.

nooobie 69
18-07-2007, 03:46
i would suggest doing guard because if you do go back to your marines you can induct guard into them and this would be a good use for apocolypse because you could use marines and guard then