PDA

View Full Version : Question about bows

brettz123
17-07-2007, 18:01
I have only played a few games with dwarves (or dwarfs???) and I found that bows were pretty useless against them. So anyway my question is what do you guys think about armies that can ignore bow limits? Do you guys find them effective? Only effective against certain army compositions? Or just not that good at all? Thanks,
Brett

Pertinax
17-07-2007, 19:24
There is only one way to ignore the bow limit, and that is by using an army, or an allied contingent of Grey Company.

To make bows better in the game, you need loads of them. Either that, or you play with none at all.

I have no preference.

Usually, and army that includes Grey Company will be few figures anyway, and they tend to be pretty soft. So one way or another, I really don't care too much about an all bow army.

Myself? I either play an army up to the bow limit, or very, very few. What I chose to play never comes down to what the opponent is fielding. I like to take my armies on the basis of Character, and to make them as all around performing as possible.

The only ranged weapon that I would consider taking on a maxed out 33% as many times as I could, would be cross bows, preferably fired by a 4+ to hit.

cincycody
18-07-2007, 00:13
Their very effective in some situations but in a pretty short time into the battle you'll be in close combat so it won't matter and when they are effective they really don't do that much unless you are really good at rolling dice but thats just my opinion because lately i haven't been able to roll very high

NickWeed
18-07-2007, 04:20
I would only use bows if you have an army that has a high shoot value. I wouldnt use them against the uruk hai because they are really hard to kill with them

Cal585
18-07-2007, 07:33
I always use bows, but how many really depends on how many models are readily available along with numbers of other troops equipped with different wargear. I tend to split my warriors up evenly between the standard close combat, spear/pikes and bows. After that I then go about altering it so I could end up with mroe or less bows depending.

Oberon
18-07-2007, 15:48
I always go for max bows, but then I play with elves (superior shooting power&skill) and moria goblins (so numerous they can afford max bows and still have a viable CC contingent. Archers can of course also support in CC) :) Without bows any army is at disadvantage vs army with bows. Bows add another layer of tactics and strategy, they give you some more options during your phases.
I agree with Pertinax, either LOTS or none of bows, and you know which I choose :)

Bows are very effective in LOTR, except when you field something like 4 orc bowmen (which you get from the boxes). :)

JackBurton01
18-07-2007, 19:26
Yeah 4 orc bowmen are very weak. But would it really matter if you even took alot of orc bowmen? I reall think it depends on the Defense of what you are shooting at.

Oberon
18-07-2007, 19:49
When fired in salvos, even a puny bows of the orcish kind will take their toll. 14 goblin bows is nothing to be sniffed at. As LOTR doesnīt have turn limit, the more mobile&shooty army will have quite a few turns of shooting->more value&kills. Elven bows are great force multipliers, many are the games Iīve begun 30 to 50 outnumbered, but started the close combat on even terms/outnumbering my enemy. All thanks to withdrawing 3" every turn while keeping up a steady stream of elvish arrows. Goblins donīt tend to be that deadly, but it is still a nice cover. Besides who doesnīt like to march In shade? ;)

Cal585
19-07-2007, 07:28
4 Orc Archers won't do much gaming wise, but it will force your opponent to make a decision. They can either take out the archers (giving you protection and keeping your forces stronger for combat), or ignore them and risk you getting a lucky shot (like killing a banner) which risks ruining their game plan. You could also do a bit of damadge in return, and for the points you spend, they are quite useful (also counting the fact that most archers are decent in close combat anyway and can strengthen your lines or flank the enemy once combat engages).

And if you remove soem of the opponents archers before yours go down, there will be less shooting to threaten the force, saving quite a few troops against opponents like elves.

Oberon
19-07-2007, 15:23
True, a small detachment of archers is able to kill a few models, maybe even critical models in the game. No archery is futile (except rohanite archers trying to bring Sauron down by volley fire...) and even a small party can make some dent. I still think that achers should be numerous to make an impact, or non-existent. half-measures are a waste. Or maybe not, I just havenīt been able to make it work :) Maybe I expect too much or something.

fhelvie
19-07-2007, 20:53
I typically drag along about 5 archers just to **** off my opponent. Nothing better than letting an elf archer get picked off my an orc bow. :) And once that happens, all bows are turned away from my infantrymen and on to the cheap little archers. Works for me even if it doesnt look good on paper!

Cal585
20-07-2007, 07:29
:) Yep. Preserve your key models and trick the enemy into attacking the decoys. (and if they don't you shoudl still knock down a few models anyway (4 Orc Archers only need to take down 2 Elves to make their points back, and the added bonus of being decoys is generally worth it))