PDA

View Full Version : Ork fliers

Captain_Ardias
17-07-2007, 19:25
Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered the rule book :D but I have a few questions on models.

Are there any good ideas out there for conversions for orks? My plan so far is to order a couple ork fighta-bomba blisters from the epic range and convert them to fightas to deal with imperial thunderbolts (at least until I'm sure I like it, forgeworld has some great models) but I was wondering about scratch builds as well. Any tips or pics of orks in action?

Charax
17-07-2007, 19:33
Many people seem to take WWI/WWII planes of the appropriate size and Orkify them by covering them with guns and armour plates, that usually turns out rather well.

HarkonGreywolf
17-07-2007, 20:26
I can recommend using the 1/350th scale planes available from Netmerchants, (Google it, it should come up but I've lost my link!)
They are made by Trumpeter and are about the right size for AI.

The best all round model is th B-25 Mitchell, which can be converted as a Fighta-bomma or used for bits to make great Fightas when combined with other planes.

Here's a picture of all my Ork Air Waaagh! so far, there will be 1 or more Soopa Bommers once FW have released theirs (so I can get inspiration of course! ;)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/SWDWHS/Aeronautica%20Imperialis/aWholeWaaagh01.jpg

A pack of 10 B-25's costs about 7 UK which is incredible value, even if you only make 5 planes out of them! I bought about 40 models and made all that you see above for about 40, Plus Bases and Grot Bombs from Forge World. (The bases are worth getting and the Grot Bombs are so good I couldn't resist them! :) )

Hope this helps.

HG

Captain_Ardias
17-07-2007, 20:45
Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I had already planned on getting the bases, but I didn't realize how small the grot bombs are, fw never fails to impress me...

HarkonGreywolf
17-07-2007, 22:37
You are most welcome! :D

And here's a picture showing exactly how small they are, as a 40k Ork tries to "swat" one with his choppa
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/SWDWHS/Aeronautica%20Imperialis/BarryGrotBom-01.jpg

And another with one of my Fighta-bommas showing the scale against another plane (yeah, now thats a Fighta Bomma! :D )
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/SWDWHS/Aeronautica%20Imperialis/aWaaaghMothaShipGrotBoms05.jpg

HG

Captain_Ardias
18-07-2007, 17:03
I noticed you magnetized all your bases, besides the grot bombs is there any trouble with just putting the stand in the base without gluing? I'm having an awful time getting magnets, the last batch I ordered was about 4 times too large and were powerful enough to kill watches at close range (don't ask >.<)

HarkonGreywolf
18-07-2007, 22:49
I don't have any problem with just putting the stands on the bases, I was just "showing off" when I magnetised all my bases! LOL
Not really, they're easier to store/carry as they're flat and all interchangeable so very easy to use.
And they stack up, so I really can have them "flying high" if I want! LOL

HG

Danegerous
26-07-2007, 04:48
How did you magnetize those?

HarkonGreywolf
26-07-2007, 23:33
OK, first attempt to post a reply was wiped out! :(
Goodness knows why it failed to upload and the server become unavailble (again!)

So try again!

First I got a load of 3mm and 6mm Rare Earth magnets.
With a little judicious filing of the holes on the bases a 3mm magnet fits rather well and superglues in flush with the surface.

Then cut the nub off the bottom of a stand and glue a 6mm magnet to the bottom. Ensure that the polarities match or you'll never get them working! ;)

Once the glues dry, cut the top nub off the stand and glue another 3mm magnet on top.

I then drilled a 3mm hole in the underneath of my plane and stuck another 3mm magnet recessed inside and flush to the surface. Again, be careful to get the polarity right or it'll not stick to the stand.

You don't have to recess the magnets in the planes as you can't really see them underneath the planes, but I'm a bit anal about things like that! ;)

Then, using this as the "Master" base, I made up loads more ensuring that all the polarities were the same way round so that any base and any stand can go with any plane. If you don't do this you may have problems setting up or expanding your Air Force.

It's very simple in reality but looks very cool when it's done.

HG

Danegerous
27-07-2007, 00:13
Sounds cool and easy! I think I'll avoid trying that though, as I don't want to risk damaging any of the models (seeing as they are so expensive, and my first FW stuff).

HarkonGreywolf
27-07-2007, 21:36
Fair point!
You could always glue the stands into the planes and put magnets on the bases and bottoms of the stands only though.

HG