PDA

View Full Version : Barding Question

gerrymander61
17-07-2007, 22:42
Ok, suppose I had a unit of joe cavalry, lets say Black Knights, and opted to not give them barding. Then suppose that every turn I never moved them more than 7, except on a turn where I made a crucial 16' charge, having deceived the enemy into thinking that I did have barding and thus could only charge 14'. My question is, is this illegal, smart, or poor sportspersonship?

I know that if a rank and file infantry dude is holding spears it must be armed with spears, if it is holding a halberd it must be armed with a halberd, etc. But barding makes no such distinction. There is no way to visually depict that a cavalry model does or does not have barding, save painting "Barding = no" on the side of it. So how does this work?

kris.sherriff
17-07-2007, 22:45
I would say it is fine I often move my units an inch short of thier max move as people either.
a. Assume that you have moved your max or
b. Assume that the distance you moved is your max.

WYSIWYG could throw up some problems but it depends how your group is with it.

Avian
17-07-2007, 22:46
In nearly all cases you will be required to state what a unit is and what equipment it has (apart from magic items and hidden models) when it is deployed, so the issue almost never comes up.

kris.sherriff
17-07-2007, 23:09
I suppose you are right actualy Avian. I always say black knights full command and what not just never thought to mention barding before.

sun tzu
18-07-2007, 00:37
Ok, suppose I had a unit of joe cavalry, lets say Black Knights, and opted to not give them barding. Then suppose that every turn I never moved them more than 7, except on a turn where I made a crucial 16' charge, having deceived the enemy into thinking that I did have barding and thus could only charge 14'. My question is, is this illegal, smart, or poor sportspersonship?

First, our club runs WYSIWYG.
I think i would be right to say the black knight models have barding on them thus as your models are not WYSIWYG you would be required to tell your opponent that they dont have barding.
If you didn't tell you would get tared and feather for a stroke like that at our club:rolleyes:
I think i would feel a bit cheated but it depends on the group of friends you play with weather you get away with it.

Crazy Harborc
18-07-2007, 00:52
IF the minies you are using have visible barding on the horses, not telling an opponent the barding IS NOT there on your roster....Well stand by for a possible ram when the opponent does find out what he sees is not there.

theunwantedbeing
18-07-2007, 01:01
So long as your black knights dont have a barding,and you dont say they do,there's no problem.
Your opponent is welcome to assume they have a barding if they wish,but if the models have no barding,and in your list you havent given them a barding,then its reall your opponent who made the error,and your ploy of moving them only 7" a turn has worked brilliantly.

Hywel
18-07-2007, 17:29
In nearly all cases you will be required to state what a unit is and what equipment it has

Quite. Even if it's not strictly "required" it is simple courtesy.

If the opponent subsequently forgets their lack of barding it will teach them to pay more attention in future. :p

EvC
19-07-2007, 09:22
You absolutely should say whether they have barding or not when you deploy.

To be fair, your opponent will probably at one point shoot at them or magic them so they'd work their save out then as well.

Your opponents might even try to be supersneaky and think you've forgotten that they don't have barding and so move their models that little bit closer to you, in which case it's certainly fair to be countersneaky to get the charge!

But either way, specifically trying to trick your opponent into believing their move rate is less than it is, doesn't make for a great game, and it's a trick you'll only get away with once. Imagine you beat someone that way, and then next time you're playing someone else and you try to pull the same trick and your previous opponent comes over and says, "Watch out for those guys- 16" charge range, not 14"... your opponent will not appreciate hearing from another player that you were playing like that!

Aranel
19-07-2007, 14:03
to be fair, if someone doesn't shoot some form of missile weapon or spell at a unit of heavy cavalry (espcially black knights!) thus testing their armour save, they deserved to get slaughtered!

greymeister
19-07-2007, 15:50
to be fair, if someone doesn't shoot some form of missile weapon or spell at a unit of heavy cavalry (espcially black knights!) thus testing their armour save, they deserved to get slaughtered!

Also to be fair, armies like Vampire Counts and Chaos don't have that option most of the time.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
19-07-2007, 15:58
I believe I was actually just reading in the 7th Ed. rulebook about how you DO have to tell someone what your units are armed with and what they are, but not reveal stuff like magic weapons, assassins, fanatics, etc. More than just common curtesy, I think. I would check my rulebook, but it's all the way downstairs. =P

sun tzu
19-07-2007, 16:46
I believe I was actually just reading in the 7th Ed. rulebook about how you DO have to tell someone what your units are armed with and what they are, but not reveal stuff like magic weapons, assassins, fanatics, etc. More than just common curtesy, I think. I would check my rulebook, but it's all the way downstairs. =P

I believe you maybe right, I think i remember reading that too.

But i believe the thread starter should do this out of common curtesy anyway! ! ! ! !

Crazy Harborc
20-07-2007, 01:33
Moving at a slower rate than your unit can is called a tactic. Tricks?? I don't think tricks are cheating.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
20-07-2007, 01:46
The movement rate isn't the issue here. If his opponent points at his unit, asks "What're those?", and he doesn't mention whether or not they're barded, that's cheating. And normally when you start a game, just to get everything out in the open, you tell your opponent what each of your units is, what they're armed with, etc., you just don't reveal hidden units, characters, or magic items. Moving the shorter distance is a good plan. But being "sneaky" about what your unit may or may not be armed with is not good tactics, and definitely not good sportsmanship.