PDA

View Full Version : Starting out with Imperials

NickWeed
19-07-2007, 04:53
I want to start AI and im pretty sure i want imperials. Would this be a good choice for a beginner

MadDogMike
20-07-2007, 05:44
Really I can't think of any forces in AI I consider "bad" for beginners at this point, all have individual strengths but the rules don't make any of them horribly unbalanced (Eldar come closest to being "overpowered" but have the highest point cost to compensate). Imperial Navy seems about the "standard" baseline of the game and has a nice assortment of stuff for it, so they'd make a decent starter set. Plane-wise I'd grab 4 Thunderbolts and *maybe* 2 Lightnings for basic starting fighter clashes. Both those planes have ground attack versions, so if you're just starting out small games that should hold you for a bit. Eventually you'd want Marauders for a more dedicated ground attack bird and either Valkyries or Space Marine Thunderhawks for those scenarios that require landing troops.

Leunam
20-07-2007, 13:27
I think Imperials are a great start since they seem to have the most varied list available.

Also, Thunderbolts are absolute beasts in terms of size compared to most other basic craft.

Still learning
21-07-2007, 11:23
Why is the thunderbold so big? Is it really that big compared to other craft?

Spacker
23-07-2007, 09:06
Why is the thunderbold so big? Is it really that big compared to other craft?

It's a huge model in 40k scale too. The FW aircraft are pretty much spot on scaled versions of the 40k FW models, I can provide photo evidence if needed :p

Tyra_Nid
23-07-2007, 10:25
Why is the thunderbold so big?

Have you ever known the Imperium to do things by half-measures!? :p

Putting a huge lump of metal propelled by brute force and bristling with as many guns as possible is just the Imperiums style...

cookiescrumble
24-07-2007, 12:22
With the Imperial fleet, stay within the 6 to 12 inch range as this is where they are best, I found out the hard way, being an ork player I automatically got really close and lost half of my firepower.

neXus6
26-07-2007, 00:51
I think Imperials are a great start since they seem to have the most varied list available.

That's the reason that's finally won me over to Imperial, I was very tempted by Orks, the Ork and Imperial planes are easily my favorites, but the current lack of a Bomber (I know I know its comming soon :p) and Transports put me off Orks in the end.

Not 100% sure if I'm going the right way about it but I'm planning on buying all the Imperial stuff I'd need for 5 out of the 6 "small fight" missions, everything except the Thunderhawk but then I can use 2 Valkries instead for that mission. All added together including throwing some ground defences in it comes to about 200pts with a few extra weapon loadouts. :)

That and the rulebook comes in at just over 100 with postage so for starting out a brand new game I'd say that's pretty good value.

RavingGuard
08-08-2007, 08:37
i just started collecting an imperial fleet, got 4 thunderbolts and 2 lightning attack fighters on their way now.

what should i get next? my main opponent is eldar, i'm thinking a couple of marauders a thunderhawk and some valkyries (troop transport?) to drop troops for my imperial guard and space marines and have more of an effect on campaigns. is this a good plan?

also whats the best ground defence for imperials?

sorry for so many questions, still waiting on my rule book to arrive, thanks for striking again royal mail!

Tyra_Nid
08-08-2007, 08:54
Heavy Flak would be probably the best ground defence, I have found that Hydras are not that effective.

Thunderhawk should be next purchase, doubles as a transport and a bomber. Marauders are pretty cool too, as are Valks.

Once you have your solid core of Tbolts/Lightnings, you can really go anywhere from there. It would especially depend on the missions you tend to play with your opponent.

Spacker
08-08-2007, 08:59
The Thunderhawk is slow and cumbersome, and in the first couple of games will be a fire magnet (after that it's likely to be ignored given that the heavy bolters are the only air-to-air weapon). I'd suggest sticking with some Valkyries for the transports, and Marauders make great bombers that can also hold their own against interceptors due to their array of weapons (the Destroyer variant is more of a strafing bomber as it's autocannons can only be used against ground targets, to me the model is nicer but I use it with the Marauder Bomber rules as it appears to be more effective due to have the lascannons available to take out other aircraft and has a larger bomb capacity).

For ground defence I'd suggest Heavy Flak Guns simply because of the altitude it can reach. Hydras are good for positioning around targets that would be susceptible to strafing, or where your enemy needs to land transports, due to the amount of firepower they can pump out at low altitude. Also, if you're going to use hills, the Hydra is a good choice as placing it at higher levels will make it more effective against the entire enemy fleet. For general use my friends and I have find the Heavy Flak Gun the most cost effective though.

RavingGuard
08-08-2007, 09:12
cheers for the advice guys.

the missions we intend to play are going to be based around a new campaign i'm planning. an air and ground war for a desert planet known as reicon 4.

its eldar vs marines / guard. will involve softening up cities with bombing runs before cities of death games.

dropping troops to allow for extra reserves in other games and general fluff like that.

it's a desert world with some american desert style rock formations / hills, so i hope hydras will work as i really like the look of them. will probably get both those and flak guns too.

as for planes i suspect a thunderhawk and valkyries will be my first buys. then some more thunderbolts and a marauder or two. (then after that it'll be a case of how much i can buy without my girlfriend noticing!)

neXus6
08-08-2007, 10:45
I watched my first game the other day, it shattered any doubts I had about starting to play. :D

Having stuff that can transport just lets you play the cool side on more missions, which is nice.

4 Thunderbolts, 2 Valkyries, 2 Lightnings, I think is the way I'm going to go for my first few things, as tempted as I am to go Lightning heavy I just love the TBolt to much. :p

Tyra_Nid
08-08-2007, 11:59
The Thunderhawk is slow and cumbersome, and in the first couple of games will be a fire magnet (after that it's likely to be ignored given that the heavy bolters are the only air-to-air weapon).

Slow and cumbersome? Compared to your fighters, sure. But its less slow and cumbersome than Marauders in its bombing role. Thawk has Speed 6 instead of Speed 5, and Thrust 2 instead of 1. The thrust makes a HUGE difference if you are decending for a strafing run and need to keep slow.

In its Transport role it is again less slow, having twice the speed and thrust of a Valk. Its disadvantage compared to Valk is the cumbersome thing, which is definately the case. Spiral helps a lot when you need to land in a confined space, as does VTOL capability. However, if you plan your landing well enough that is less of a problem.

Obviously I am a big fan of the Thawk in a multipurpose unit role...

On the other hand, it certainly IS a big fire magnet, it has been shot down in all the games I have used it in. Im hoping this will happen less when people realise that it isnt *that* great. A massive model generally inspires fear in people though...