PDA

View Full Version : Nuln artillery train/artillery heavy armies. Peoples thoughts?

Kahadras
20-07-2007, 16:02
Basicaly I've been thinking about starting an Empire army for a while now and I've been chatting about various combinations I can go for it terms of set up for the army. Out of all of the possibilities I like the idea of a Nuln army backed up with plenty of cannon, mortars and the more erratic of the Empire war machines (Helblaster volleyguns and Helstorm rocket batteries).

The army that I was thinking of looks a bit like this...

General of the Empire (a noble from Nuln)

Wizard (Celestial)

Wizard (Metal)

Standard bearer

19 Swordsmen (Detachment of 8 Halbardiers)

20 Swordsmen (Detachment of 8 Halbardiers)

5 Knights (done as household bodyguard rather than true knights)

10 Handgunners

10 Handgunners

5 Pistoliers

Mortar

Cannon

Cannon

Helblaster volley gun

Helstorm rocket battery

Although its not been fully worked out yet (I think I have a few points left to spare) would anybody have any complaints about facing this on the table top? While I really like the idea of lots of cannon I don't want it to end up getting slated as a 'gunline' army and all the baggage that comes along with it.

Basicaly at the end of the day I want something to represent what an army from Nuln might look like without hearing any grumbling from the other side of the table.

Has this army attained this or does it need a bit more balancing? I don't nessiceraly want an opinion on the army more an opinion on the type of list (artillery heavy), whether it works, what are the drawbacks (apart from managing to blow myself up) and so on and so forth. General discussion would be nice

Kahadras

Finnigan2004
20-07-2007, 16:15
Don't have any artillery heavy armies, but I'd play you for sure because I've only ever played dwarfs with that much firepower. I suspect it's probably a gunline, but no big deal. I do wonder how much fun it will be to play over the long term-- you might get bored with it. I'd proxy it for quite a few games first to see how you like it. One question-- are the swordsmen there just to allay gunline suggestions? Why not more knights? The rest of your army is static, and the swordsmen are pretty slow.

Kahadras
20-07-2007, 16:36
are the swordsmen there just to allay gunline suggestions?

Not really. The idea was to create an army that forced my opponant to moved forward. Even with 5 warmachines and 20 Handgunners (plus the flanking pistoliers) I'm probably not going to be able to stop him from getting across the board without at least a couple of units relativly intact. This is where the swordsmen come in.

The plan is to kill enemy artillery early with my cannons then pound away at his core units. Once he gets across the board he'll get met by a nice couple of deep block units with attending detachments. The knights are there to drive into a flank if my opponant is proving difficult to overcome with just the swordsmen.

Kahadras

Arguleon-veq
20-07-2007, 17:02
I don't see a whole lot wrong with it. I wouldn't mind playing it at all.

For flavour though, I'd definatley take a Master Engineer in place of a Wizard [The Celestia probably as the Metal Wizard works with your fluff].

I faced a Dwarf army today at 2000 Points with;

Organ Gun,
Runed up Cannon,
20 Quarellers,
10 Thunderers,
Anvil of Doom.

So 6 Missile units to your 7 and I didn't think the Dwarf list was unfair at all [I massacred it with my Dogs of War]. My firepower of 1 Cannon, 20 Crossbows and a Hotpot was totally outclassed.

It's a totally fine, themed list. I'd imagine you would have more people grumbling if you took 2 Hellblasters.

Kahadras
20-07-2007, 17:55
For flavour though, I'd definatley take a Master Engineer in place of a Wizard [The Celestia probably as the Metal Wizard works with your fluff].

I was thinking about taking a Master engineer but then realised it would be a total waste. The flavor would be nice but I really couldn't justify spending 70 plus points and a character slot on a model that would end up just hanging round a cannon and occasionaly taking a pot shot at something.

At the present moment each of my four characters have an important role to play. Dropping my General would deny me a tough leader who can deal out damage (mounted, full plate, shield, Holy Icon, Sword of Power), to drop either of my wizards would leave me with very little magic cover and virtualy no offecive magic, to drop my BSB would leave me with nothing to help hold my two block units togther. At least that's how I see it.

Kahadras

Reticent
20-07-2007, 18:43
I was thinking about taking a Master engineer but then realised it would be a total waste. The flavor would be nice but I really couldn't justify spending 70 plus points and a character slot on a model that would end up just hanging round a cannon and occasionaly taking a pot shot at something.

At the present moment each of my four characters have an important role to play. Dropping my General would deny me a tough leader who can deal out damage (mounted, full plate, shield, Holy Icon, Sword of Power), to drop either of my wizards would leave me with very little magic cover and virtualy no offecive magic, to drop my BSB would leave me with nothing to help hold my two block units togther. At least that's how I see it.

Kahadras

I understand what you are saying about the engineer; just remember that every time your army hits the table without one if you listen very carefully you'll actually hear the fluff crying.

Tactically the only thing that strikes me as a flaw in your list is a shortage of fast responders for threats that use special rules to get in your line before you can shoot them. You've got the knights and then...

With as much artillery as you have two hand gunner units might be a little redundant.

sulla
20-07-2007, 20:21
Personally, I would split one of the 10's of handgunners into 2 detachments for either the other 10 of handgunners or the swordsmen. There are times when you really want to split fire (like when 6 fanatics are spinning aroung in front of your lines) so the smaller you can split your missile troops the better IMO.

Also, I would try to fit 5 outriders in there; mainly so you can get a bs5 hochland long rifle for popping enemy sorcerors. But, having 360 LoS and 12 extra handgun shots from the unit does make a very good flank guard unit to protect the artillery. Only i'm not sure what you could drop to get them. you want the pistoliers to slow the enemy while you shoot them unless you use knights for that job...

Kahadras
20-07-2007, 20:22
I understand what you are saying about the engineer; just remember that every time your army hits the table without one if you listen very carefully you'll actually hear the fluff crying.

IMO Master engineers really don't belong on the battlefield. IMHO the engineer would probably be more than happy to leave it up to the gunners to go off and shoot the damn things. They'd much rather be in a workshop somewhere trying to design a better pigeon bomb.

Tactically the only thing that strikes me as a flaw in your list is a shortage of fast responders for threats that use special rules to get in your line before you can shoot them. You've got the knights and then...

I'm not really worried about that. If my opponant can get units into my lines before I get a chance to shoot them then I've already lost. Admitedly it's not the best army build ever but then again few are. I just have to accept that as a weakness and focus on my strengths.

With as much artillery as you have two hand gunner units might be a little redundant.

The main reason they're in there is to discourage people going after my artillery. A good volley ought to see off any fast flanking units that decide they want to go after my artillery plus they make good units to pop the mages in.

Kahadras

Bingo the Fun Monkey
20-07-2007, 21:21
If you're theming to nuln you might as well take an engineer and use the alchemist as a scroll caddie. Sure Nuln is home to the Gunnery school and not the engineering school, but the help that he can provide for a cannon or mortar is useful. The hochland long rifle is also a pretty nasty weapon. Maybe consider out-riders?