PDA

View Full Version : If forgeworld would produce adventurers?

BaronDG
23-07-2007, 08:17
Just spent some time looking through the concept art for the 40k roleplay and must say I am somewhat impressed. Then I asked myself, what if forgeworld started producing some figures from the game? Would you buy them?

This is in no way a rumour, just a question.

However, they did go this way before, with the death on the riek campaign...

mistformsquirrel
23-07-2007, 08:57
I honestly bet they will if the game takes off. It'd just make sense ya know? <@-@> Looking forward to the 40k RPG myself too!

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 13:28
It will probably be like the Fantasy roleplay anyway, so GW and FW will not support it as its not a GW product, at least thats what they say

Oldguny
23-07-2007, 14:38
It will probably be like the Fantasy roleplay anyway, so GW and FW will not support it as its not a GW product, at least thats what they say

They could always do a FPS and that would be cool!

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 14:43
They could always do a FPS and that would be cool!

you mean a First Person Shooter??? I don't see how that has anything to do with a roleplay game, unless we are talking about computer games, which wasn't made clear, now I'm confused:confused:, are we on about computer game roleplay games, or board game roleplay games, like Fantasy roleplay???

Oldguny
23-07-2007, 14:56
you mean a First Person Shooter??? I don't see how that has anything to do with a roleplay game, unless we are talking about computer games, which wasn't made clear, now I'm confused:confused:, are we on about computer game roleplay games, or board game roleplay games, like Fantasy roleplay???

Ya on computer what were you talking about?:D

now i'm confussed:confused:

Maximus_Prime
23-07-2007, 15:01
They're talking about the Pen and Paper RPG that's coming out next year. Personally, I'd love it, but it's very unlikely

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 15:03
They're talking about the Pen and Paper RPG that's coming out next year.

AHH well if its a pen and paper RPG then no don't expect to ever see models for them, like I said, GW never supported the fantasy version, so don't expect them to change face.

Templar Ben
23-07-2007, 15:13
If it is anything like the Warhammer RPG then I don't expect to find players either.

I don't see FW making any model for the system.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 15:17
AHH well if its a pen and paper RPG then no don't expect to ever see models for them, like I said, GW never supported the fantasy version, so don't expect them to change face.

:eek::wtf: Um.

What about literally every single Warhammer Fantasy Battle figure ever produced ever!?!

GW didn't bring out new figures because they don't need to! :rolleyes:

EDIT: and if you mean 'support' in a more general sense, why do I have WFRP (original edition) adventure module articles in copies of White Dwarf? Is this some strange plot by time-travellers to confuse people? :p GW even advertises WFRP v2 in White Dwarf nowadays!

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 15:39
EDIT: and if you mean 'support' in a more general sense, why do I have WFRP (original edition) adventure module articles in copies of White Dwarf? Is this some strange plot by time-travellers to confuse people? :p GW even advertises WFRP v2 in White Dwarf nowadays!

They may advertise it, but thats not supporting it, they advertised Damnatus but never supported it, they advertised air shows but never supported them, by support I mean actually selling the rulebooks, actually having articles in WD and on the website, actually showing reports and discussion, they don't do any of that, they told you it was coming out and that was it, that in my book is NOT support

Cypher
23-07-2007, 15:46
I actually think we may see more "character" models from FW. They've done a few with the IA books and they've all been gorgeous (and quite popular). It's hard to say what we'll see, and I dont expect they'll be marketed towards 40K-RPG. But "Hero" models are always popular.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 15:58
They may advertise it, but thats not supporting it, they advertised Damnatus but never supported it, they advertised air shows but never supported them, by support I mean actually selling the rulebooks, actually having articles in WD and on the website, actually showing reports and discussion, they don't do any of that, they told you it was coming out and that was it, that in my book is NOT support

You're still wrong. You're moaning about GW not supporting the original WFRP.

1) All figures produced by GW are compatible with WFRP version 1 and, quite expressly (by design!) version 2.
2) WFRP 1 had complete adventure modules, new rules, extra items, characters, and maps (to name but a few) published in White Dwarf. Repeatedly.

Their advertising of WFRP 2 certainly means that they support the bloody thing regardless of whether or not their shops stock it, it's just that the focus of WD has altered considerably over the years.

EDIT:

As far as this goes, all FW models for 40K must therefore be considered adventurers, particularly ones like Inquisitor Lok and the pilots.

Chaplain Dionitas
23-07-2007, 16:05
FWIW There is supposedly a FPS in the works for 40k

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 16:07
FWIW There is supposedly a FPS in the works for 40k

So long as it's better than Firewarrior...

Lindworm
23-07-2007, 16:15
Wrong; they brought out Tau Pathfinders with Railguns after personal ones appeared in the "Fire Warrior" game. Forge world also produced the transport that appeared in the game. They'll produce something new that came about as a result of independants working on their own licenced brands if its cool.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 16:17
Wrong; they brought out Tau Pathfinders with Railguns after personal ones appeared in the "Fire Warrior" game. Forge world also produced the transport that appeared in the game. They'll produce something new that came about as a result of independants working on their own licenced brands if its cool.

Umm... actually, Firewarrior isn't Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. ;) Other than that, you make a valid point.

Lindworm
23-07-2007, 16:20
I know :( A little irrelivant and relevant at the same time! :)

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 16:22
1) All figures produced by GW are compatible with WFRP version 1 and, quite expressly (by design!) version 2.

Being compatible and being made for a different things, technically ANY model is compatible with fantasy or 40k, I could use Rackham models in WFRP it doesn't mean they support the game, its just compatible thats it, that doesn't mean its supported

2) WFRP 1 had complete adventure modules, new rules, extra items, characters, and maps (to name but a few) published in White Dwarf. Repeatedly.

I've never seen any of that in any of my White dwarfs, all I've ever seen is them show the book and price, and that was the last we saw of it in WD

As far as this goes, all FW models for 40K must therefore be considered adventurers, particularly ones like Inquisitor Lok and the pilots.

Indeed, its because they are COMPATIBLE with it but were not designed for it in the first place, thats not supporting

MegaMale
23-07-2007, 16:31

lol here you are moaning about a game that not a few posts ago you didnt even know what it was , i sense much GW anger in you !

fact is GW sold the rights to another company to produce the game , they dont need to support it or sell it because it isnt theirs to support or sell .
of course if you had read white dwarf instead of moaning about it you would know this ,and what a real RPG is .

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 16:33
I've never seen any of that in any of my White dwarfs, all I've ever seen is them show the book and price, and that was the last we saw of it in WD

*ahem*

K. Walton, C. Ekstrom, G. Davis and A. Ragan: White Dwarf #126, Marienburg, pp 48-56 - "The next installment of our detailed guide to a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay city with a visit to the Marienburg Home for Foundlings and the Enclosed Temple in Perfume Square" [original bolding]

And, again:

"On December 11, 2003, I ... had a meeting with Mark Gascoine of ... and Simon Butler [of Black Industries] ... This meeting was the culmination of [B]two years of negotiations with Games Workshop ... A month later we were whisked off to Nottingham for a week ... at GW headquarters." - Chris Pramas, in Designer's Notes, pg 247, WFRP main rulebook.

And again, there is a passage (which currently I cannot find) that says "WFRP is designed to work with 28mm miniatures", for example the ones sold by Games Workshop.

A better use of the term 'compatible' would be that WFRP is compatible with the figures - the figures came first, the RPG afterwards.

GW will find it impossible not to support WFRP and/or the 40K RP on the grounds that, by definition, they do so already with miniatures.

As far as articles in the current White Dwarf go... well, we all know WD has fallen a long way since #126. :( It is, however, madness to claim that GW does not support an offshot of itself.

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 16:40
lol here you are moaning about a game that not a few posts ago you didnt even know what it was , i sense much GW anger in you !

When did I say I never knew what it was?:confused:

all I got confused over was if the 40k version was the Computer version coming along, or a board game version, that was all

MegaMale
23-07-2007, 16:56
When did I say I never knew what it was?:confused:

all I got confused over was if the 40k version was the Computer version coming along, or a board game version, that was all

you see here we are again ,"you" never said you didnt know what it was , i said "you" didnt know what it was ,bless you , your all confuddled .

look its obvious you have no clue about the subject, but you thought "hey its a chance to pop at GW again " .well this isnt the "other GW forum" , people actually like the company in here and know what they are talking about .....

Slaaneshi Slave
23-07-2007, 16:59

Why would you need models for a PNP RPG? None of the other RPG systems I am aware of use figures of any kind.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 17:04
Why would you need models for a PNP RPG? None of the other RPG systems I am aware of use figures of any kind.

It's to aid the GM in working out where people and things are, and also to prettyfy things. Entirely unecessary, but fun. Currently I'm in a Serenity RPG where we're using a mix of Hasslefree and The Assault Group figures (the Alliance uses SA80s after all :chrome:) and a DnD one where no figures are used.

GM's preference really.

DnD has its own range of figures but they're a bit pants tbh (although the Dragons are a spectacular exception).

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 17:27
you see here we are again ,"you" never said you didnt know what it was , i said "you" didnt know what it was ,bless you , your all confuddled .

umm how about shut up

look its obvious you have no clue about the subject, but you thought "hey its a chance to pop at GW again " .well this isnt the "other GW forum" , people actually like the company in here and know what they are talking about .....

yes that exactly what I thought, silly me, I should of known

well technically Inquisitor is an RPG that you use PnP, and that has models, some D&D games do as well

Templar Ben
23-07-2007, 17:34

To amplify what the good General said, in D&D you now need some sort of marker to show your position as the rules have taken that into account. For instance there are now squares that you control around you, you can take attacks of opportunity, you get a free "5' step", special effects when shooting within 30' of your target. The prepainted minis that WotC sells can be used in the game to show that or one can just simply use coins. I myself normally use my old metal figures but I have a lot of the prepaints. If GW sold more packs like the new Emp Wizard for fantasy at a reasonable price I know I would use them because I could make them look like how my character would look.

Slaaneshi Slave
23-07-2007, 17:37
You don't need them at all, they are, as Gen.Steiner said, an aid. Most play without though, as everything runs smoother and faster.

Brother Loki
23-07-2007, 17:48
Wait a minute, calm down people! There's several different conversations in this thread at crossed purposes. Stella's not the one who didn't know what an RPG was, Oldguny was. MegaMale's just being rude.

Stella - Steiner's being a bit mischevious - all that WFRP content in white dwarf was for WFRP1 in the late 80's and early '90s - back when it was a good magazine. GW also used to make a range of adventurers for WFRP. If you've come to the hobby in the last 10 years or so there's no reason for you to know any of that.

Black Industries is a part of GW and has a fantastic level of support for WFRP2, with a great website with tons of downloads etc. OK, it's no longer covered in white dwarf (except to advertise the new books) but then nor is Black Library material, or Forgeworld. I expect 40KRP will get similar treatment when it arrives, or maybe a bit more of a fanfare as the 40k setting is more popular than the fantasy one. The BI website will feature tons of support though, just as it does for WFRP.

Anyway, back on topic. I'd love to see adventurer figures from Forgeworld, and I'd definitely get some. I suspect its unlikely though, as the inquisitorial henchmen are already pretty usable for many character types.

Pete

Templar Ben
23-07-2007, 17:50
I suppose but then how do you know if you are 30' or 35' from that target? I honestly don't have any numbers to show if more play with or without some sort of marker. I know that WotC has been adding cards with the battle locations marked out with 1" squares to the modules they have produced lately and since they listen to their customers I would take that as some indication that the players use something.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 17:50
Steiner's being a bit mischevious

Oh indeed. But entirely accurate as well! :p

Slaaneshi Slave
23-07-2007, 17:53
I suppose but then how do you know if you are 30' or 35' from that target? I honestly don't have any numbers to show if more play with or without some sort of marker. I know that WotC has been adding cards with the battle locations marked out with 1" squares to the modules they have produced lately and since they listen to their customers I would take that as some indication that the players use something.

Its up to the GMs discretion.

Player: I want to cross the room to the window.
GM: Well you will pass through the Orcs zone, so you need to test against your Tumble skill.

It works equally well with or without a board and models.

Which is why you don't drink the GMs last can of sprite... Damn GM... :(

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 17:55
Stella - Steiner's being a bit mischevious - all that WFRP content in white dwarf was for WFRP1 in the late 80's and early '90s - back when it was a good magazine. GW also used to make a range of adventurers for WFRP. If you've come to the hobby in the last 10 years or so there's no reason for you to know any of that.

well that would explain it then, I only know of the newer more recent version, I'd never heard of one before this one, and I've been playing 13yrs, but not really taken any notice for the first 3 or 4, I was too busy with 40k

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 17:56
Absolutely everything is up to the GMs discretion.

Which is why you don't in any way irritate or offend the GM

Speaking as a GM... fixed! :D

Slaaneshi Slave
23-07-2007, 18:03
"How could a shark get into the dungeon?"
"It was in your water sack."

Speaking as somebody who got GMed.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 18:31
"How could a shark get into the dungeon?"
"It was in your water sack."

Serious GM props to whoever it was that came up with that one! I think I'll steal it. With a little variation, it works for anything!

"It was a nano-shark" (Shadowrun)
"It was a lesser-known Mage Shark" (DnD, in fact any fantasy)
"lol because, now go the right way damn your eyes" (railroading)

See? :D

Templar Ben
23-07-2007, 18:35
General, that sounds like something right out of Knights of the Dinner Table.

MegaMale
23-07-2007, 18:42
ok so i was a bit rude , but stella has a habit of knocking anything about GW , if you dont believe me read her /his posts in other threads , and once again another valid and interesting thread hijacked by the anti GW posters .

back to the original question , will forge world release some models for the 40k role playing game ? dont know but i hope so , their character models are great ,full of detail and nice to paint and display .

but as others have said they are not needed to play the game (missed chance to sell more models i feel) but wouldnt hurt to make a few just to raise awareness .

Stella Cadente
23-07-2007, 18:50
ok so i was a bit rude , but stella has a habit of knocking anything about GW , if you dont believe me read her /his posts in other threads , and once again another valid and interesting thread hijacked by the anti GW posters .

I wasn't knocking GW I was pointing out the obvious facts that are there in many hundreds of topics about them doing very little to nothing to support any product or game that bears there name but is not specifically made by them alone and not one of there offshoot companies

ChrisAsmadi
23-07-2007, 19:03
To be fair, the WFRPG had a horrible system, from what I got from reading the book. So I hope the 40kRPG has a far better one.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 19:39
To be fair, the WFRPG had a horrible system, from what I got from reading the book.

Gah! Lies! What's wrong with it? :confused:

Templar Ben
23-07-2007, 19:50
Like all opinions it is subjective. I don't really care for it either but then again I would rather play a hero or villian instead of a rat catcher or grave robber. If you are looking for a very open ended game I find Decipher's LotR to be better than WFRP. Then again I keep buying the books so I can't really complain.

ChrisAsmadi
23-07-2007, 22:27
From what I recall (this is from an hour or so of reading a friend's copy of the book, mind) the class system seems very confusing and not very nice, and the lack of races is also not very good.

Overall, I found the system to be inferior to d20 or Shadowrun. But, as Templar Ben said, it's subjective.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 22:32
Eh, the careers are amusing (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier... Fishmonger :p) and the 'lack of races'? Elf, Dwarf, Halfling and Human. What more do you want? I don't think they let Half-Orcs into the Reiksguard... ;)

As far as Hero and Villain goes, I'd say that "Knight" and "Crimelord" are pretty clear-cut, wouldn't you?

Still, as has been said, horses for courses. I find it produces a much more open-ended and much, much nastier and darker RPG than anything outside of Vampire. :D

ChrisAsmadi
23-07-2007, 22:38
Eh, the careers are amusing (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier... Fishmonger :p) and the 'lack of races'? Elf, Dwarf, Halfling and Human. What more do you want? I don't think they let Half-Orcs into the Reiksguard... ;)

Beastmen, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Saurus, Skinks, Chaos-tainted races, Orcs, Goblins, ect.

Many races.

Gen.Steiner
23-07-2007, 22:42
Beastmen, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Saurus, Skinks, Chaos-tainted races, Orcs, Goblins, ect.

Many races.

Then let your mind wander! Create your own profiles, Talents and Skills! Use the Internet for unofficial stuff! Improvise! Innovate! Improve! :D