PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings Versus Orcs and Dwarves

Revamp
23-07-2007, 19:37
I was originally planning on playing an Empire army today but unfortunately (although perhaps a little fortunately since his list had three cannons) he had to play somebody for a campaign game since he wouldn't be in for the rest of the week.

Instead, after much, much discussion and talking, I managed to convince one player with 1000pts of Orcs and another with 1000pts of Dwarves to play with me. I am perfectly aware that in character that would make precious little sense but then neither did the Nazi-Soviet pact and that still happened. My idea was that having encountered them fighting each other Tomb Queen Khalida decided that they could be permitted to continue and intervened, resulting in them both realising that they were outnumbered by this threat two-to-one and opting to (try to) take it out before getting back to each other.

My list was this:

Tomb Queen Khalida
Tomb Prince
Liche Priest on Casket of Souls
Liche Priest

24 archers

22 archers

3 Charriots

3 Ushabti

Screaming Skull Thrower (Skulls of Foes)

The first other guy had a massive squad of Black Orcs in which he had put a Champion, Shaman and some evil special character (Ironhide, I think? Not sure) and also a large squad of goblins with fanatics plus another shaman.

The Dwarf army had Bugman, some hand-gunners, a few squads of warriors plus a cannon.

Now my obvious concerns were those horrific Black Orcs, who were the only thing on the bored which I was uncertain I could counter properly and the cannon. My solution for the latter was a Tomb Scorpion (ah, how I love 14 inch charge range and It Came From Below...) and the former was arrows.

Lots and lots and lots of arrows.

As I had expected/hoped the amount of damage that this army can put out from range is downright absurd. Khalida was part of the 24 skeleton squad and 48 poisoned arrows in one turn really is something to behold. On more than one turn I also managed to cast Smiting on the 22 archer squad as well, resulting in a large amount of harm done to that pesky black orc squad.

Equally impressive was the SSC, that had proven its worth in the uick 1000pt game I had played against Dark Elves (where it was pretty much my only success story) and it did not fail me here either, only misfiring once in the last turn and doing a great amount of harm to orc, goblin and dwarf a like. Smiting it worked exceptionally well: on one occasion I guess a few inches short during the magic phase and was able to adjust for a perfect hit on the black orcs during the shooting.

Khalida's staff was also as superb as I had expected: on the one occasion that I casted it it killed two orcs and left their squad rooted to the spot, giving me the chance I needed to pound them with more arrow fire and keep them away from my archers.

Unforunately the next turn they had noted how much damage it could do and used their dispell dice to make sure I could not repeat it, however this meant that they did not save up enough for the Casket of Souls dispelling, going two-to-two and losing out. The CoS is very fun when it works, there is something immensely satisfying in rolling instant wounds. It managed to only fail to wound two units and killed one slayer that had been advancing on my lines worryingly outright.

For the rest of the game it proved highly valuable just as a distraction: in the first turn the orc player used up his only dispell scroll on it and the amount of dice they were saving up fearfully for the others meant that I got almost a free reign when it came to incantations.

The Tomb Scorpion perhaps underacheived a little despite arriving on Turn 2, failing to perform my original plans for it of slaughtering all of the cannon crew and then charging their handgunners in the rear (they failed to actually do anything, as it happened, on one occasion he skipped them entirely and only remembered after combat was finished and in another turn he tried to measure whether they were in range during the movement phase). Indeed it was in this combat where the crew managed to inflict the only wound I suffered for the whole game. Thankfully the Scorp. managed to inflict a wound too so it was just a draw rather than a further wound-inflicting loss. This was perhaps a little underwhelming all the same but then he did manage to keep what could have been a major threat tied up and not causing damage and I reckon that that is easily worth 85 points.

I did not really get an opportunity to find out how well my "Gang of Six" approach to counter-attacking worked since nothing managed to reach combat. This was a little bit of a dissapointment but also quite a relief I suppose.

Through a combination of dispell scrolls and some lucky rolling I prevented the Orcs from getting much cast until the last turn where I was out of dice and d. scrolls and he had something horrible which would inflict copious quantities of strength 5 misery upon my archers lined up. Thankfully he rolled a double one and his spell caster promptly exploded, wounding his general and leaving him with only a unit of goblins, a heavily injured character and a pile of dead Black Orcs causing him to concede.

That is the sort of thing that makes me really appreciate incantations.

Overall I have learnt that against infantry based combat armies my force works really well but since on occasion I was considering risking everything and sending out my Flyrophant to slow down the orcs by stopping them marching perhaps some Carrion may be a useful addition at some point although I am not sure how I will make the points.

The two people I was playing with seemed really impressed with my army and had obviously underestimated the amount of harm such a small number of normally almost harmless troops such as skeletons could do when given the appropriate chants. I have considered getting some skele warriors, or maybe even scratch-built Tomb Guard (if nothing else since look so damn cool), but after how much fun I had today I am far less sure.

Finally I discovered a full appreciation for just quite how utterly horrific Khalida is. Despite not having been in combat once in this game she won it for me: the combination of entirely unstoppable smites and poisoned arrows made what would normally be a bunch of bones with bad aim into some sort of immensely dangerous elite cadre that can gut entire units before they come anywhere near to being charged.

That's really not something that could happen under any other general.

winter has ended
23-07-2007, 23:53
,may i ask how did they both get a lord? and also how did you manage to wound the bl;ack orcs they have a 4+ save andd grimgor ironhide has a 1+save, what actually did damage to them seeing as your archers need 5+ to wound them?

StormCrow
24-07-2007, 00:09
The Tomb Scorpion perhaps underacheived a little despite arriving on Turn 2, failing to perform my original plans for it of slaughtering all of the cannon crew and then charging their handgunners in the rear (they failed to actually do anything, as it happened, on one occasion he skipped them entirely and only remembered after combat was finished and in another turn he tried to measure whether they were in range during the movement phase). Indeed it was in this combat where the crew managed to inflict the only wound I suffered for the whole game. Thankfully the Scorp. managed to inflict a wound too so it was just a draw rather than a further wound-inflicting loss. This was perhaps a little underwhelming all the same but then he did manage to keep what could have been a major threat tied up and not causing damage and I reckon that that is easily worth 85 points.

In the combat where the scorpion and dwarves caused a wound each shouldnt you still have +1 on the dwarves for outnumbering, and making them autoflee out of fear? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Revamp
24-07-2007, 09:15
,may i ask how did they both get a lord?

Bugman is a hero as far as I am aware. I may have misread but considering he only costs 150pts or so I do not consider that unfair.

and also how did you manage to wound the bl;ack orcs they have a 4+ save andd grimgor ironhide has a 1+save, what actually did damage to them seeing as your archers need 5+ to wound them?

6s to hit + poisoned arrows. Oh how I love Khalida...

In the combat where the scorpion and dwarves caused a wound each shouldnt you still have +1 on the dwarves for outnumbering, and making them autoflee out of fear? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah! It would seem that you are right. Apparently he was a lot more effective than I though, huh? ^_^

StormCrow
24-07-2007, 11:04
Yeah, it didn't get it's reputation as an insane warmachine destroyer for nothing :)

game
26-07-2007, 07:04
I Think This Is Writen Fantastical !!! The Tombs Kings Played Well And They Are A Great Army.

Revamp
26-07-2007, 08:07
I Think This Is Writen Fantastical !!! The Tombs Kings Played Well And They Are A Great Army.

Thanks Game! ^_^