PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnians, 1000pts

Denthúl
23-07-2007, 21:26
Well, it's been a while since I played these fellows, but after reading something in a thread yesterday, I grabbed my Army Book and began reading all the fluffy stuff. Within hours, I wanted a Bretonnian army. So... I wrote a basic list. This uses the contents of the batallion box set, with an extra Knights unit added, and some characters, so I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but it is a starting force nonetheless. I am even considering ditching all my plans for the Beasts of Chaos army I wanted to get a new Bretonnian army, so...here goes :)

Paladin
Lance
Shield
Barded Warhorse
80pts

Paladin (BSB)
Barded Warhorse
74pts

Damsel of the Lady
70pts

8 KotR
Musician
Standard Bearer
216pts

8 KotR
Musician
Standard Bearer
216pts

15 Men-at-arms
Musician
Standard Bearer
Warden
102pts

10 Peasant Bowmen
60pts

3 Pegasus Knights
Musician
Standard Bearer
195pts

This force is very basic, yes...but here's where the fun comes in. The Paladin that leads the force is the son of a Duke, eager to prove himself, and has been given the responsibility of defending the northern borders of his father's land with this small force. His brother is the BSB, and though he wanted to be leader of this force, he is the younger of the two, but is given an important honour with the standard instead :)

All the characters, as I play games and expand the army, will develop histories, and gain magical items (objects that have are empowered by the Lady of the Lake for completing some good deeds) etc.

So...does the list look okay for a starting force? The only thing I'm really worried about, to be honest, is the size of the Men-at-arms unit...

All comments are welcome :)

Belerophon709
23-07-2007, 23:30
I always like an army with fluff behind hit, no matter how big a part it plays.
You said you're worried about the size of the M@A-unit? How? Think it's too big? Too small? I generally don't like them. In a cavalry-based army like Brets are, I think they tend to play a very passive role, often doing nothing at all other than baby-sitting archers. They'll get left behind by your knights and most likely won't play a big part of your offensive force.
Personally, I'd drop them.

I'd also downsize the KotR regiments to 5 (6 with character) and see if I could find some points for a third lance and put the damsel on a steed as well, popping her in the third and final unit.

On a last note, what's the idea behind the archers? Are they there for the fluff? If so, by all means leave them. If not, I could see the points being spent better elsewhere.

Good luck on this and keep us posted!

Denthúl
24-07-2007, 09:35
I was worried that the Men-at-arms were too small, but I see your point...plus, at WS2, they aren't really going to do too much... The archers are there to give me some ranged attacks, and will later (when the army expands) be guarding my Trebuchet. Peasants are always going to be a part of this force because, even if they don't do too much, they can be used to tie up enemies for a while, they come in the batallion set (tight budget) and, most important of all, they are their because it's part of the Fluff :)

I don't really intend to win even half of all the games I play with this army. It's just so that I can have fun playing, and also painting - I love the fact that each knight has their own heraldry, allowing me to spend time on individual models across the entire force ^^

Thanks for the tips :)

New list:

Paladin
Lance
Shield
Barded Warhorse
80pts

Paladin (BSB)
Barded Warhorse
74pts

Damsel
70pts

5 KotR
Musician
Standard Bearer
144pts

5 KotR
Musician
Standard Bearer
144pts

6 KotR
Musician
Standard Bearer
168pts

15 Men-at-arms
Musician
Standard Bearer
Warden
102pts

10 Peasant Bowmen
60pts

3 Pegasus Knights
165pts

1007pts

This look better? I took the musician and standard bearer from the Pegasus Knights because I don't think they'll need them. My aim is to have them charge units from the flank or rear whilst the KotR charge from the front.

aenarion67
24-07-2007, 09:41
i would personaly not us men at arms and use their points for linke more knights, archers, or pegasuses

Denthúl
24-07-2007, 09:44
But again, that's from a tactical point of view, and not a Fluff one. I'd rather stick to my army's story than win any games. It's much more satisfying. Winning is just a bonus :)

Belerophon709
24-07-2007, 19:16
List looks better and I respect your choice to stick with the peasants for fluff. Sticking a standard on them might just be throwing away VPs as they won't last very long if engaged. Make sure you get that Damsel up on a steed instead! :D

Denthúl
25-07-2007, 11:16
Opponents don't get VPs for capturing peasant standards :) A Damsel on a steed might be a good idea... I'll have to think about it. I prefer the model on foot, and I was going to hide her at the back of the field with my bowmen. She's not really there to do much, except be part of the Fluff and give me a third dispel dice.

Belerophon709
25-07-2007, 12:27
Been playing Chaos for too long to remember the thing about the peasant standard...
You Damsel might prove easy VPs for the enemy if she only has peasants to guard her though, but since it's a low point game it might work well enough...

Denthúl
25-07-2007, 13:44
That's a point...I will consider shuffling some points around for a horse for her :)

Edit: So...I went on to the Maelstrom Games site just now to put in an order and, upon closer inspection, the Batallion set read that there were 20 Men at Arms and 1 Pegasus Knight... That's not how I remembered it being. So I went onto the GW site to make sure and, to my horror...this is true. :(