PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Special Units

King Thurgun
24-07-2007, 15:35
I have just begun playing dwarves, and i'm playing a fairly defensive list: 4 blocks of infantry with lots of shooting support. As i have played often against Dwarves and found that outflanking them is their undoing, i have been looking for units to anchor my flanks and prevent this from happening. One is obviously the Slayers, for the other, i was thinking about which would be the best unit.

Hammerers are great (except for the models :P), being stubborn and all, but no one can take a Cavalry charge like Ironbreakers. Which is better (assuming i have a lord on an oathstone with them) at holding a flank?

shartmatau
24-07-2007, 15:54
Hammerers are excellent. I always use 15 of them with a runic banner that doubles US and +1 combat res, which gives them 2 ranks + outnumber + 2 for the banner. With the Lord in the unit your are sure to have a few kills in return. So you may actually win the combat on the enemy's charge
Even if you lose though, you are stubborn with the lord, so roll on ld 10. Thats pretty solid imo.

Atzcapotzalco
24-07-2007, 16:34
Personally, I wouldn't give up my ironbreakers, although I do have a unit of each type of veteran ready to come out of reserve, so I can't claim complete consistency on the matter. Stubborn is nice but will only delay your defeat, not grant you victory-the additional armour of ironbreakers might.

Lord Firmshaft
24-07-2007, 22:40
Go to Bugmans brewery and you will get all the dwarven advice you could ever ask for

Belerophon709
24-07-2007, 22:46
Hammerers are excellent. I always use 15 of them with a runic banner that doubles US and +1 combat res, which gives them 2 ranks + outnumber + 2 for the banner. With the Lord in the unit your are sure to have a few kills in return. So you may actually win the combat on the enemy's charge
Even if you lose though, you are stubborn with the lord, so roll on ld 10. Thats pretty solid imo.

You roll on a 9. The Ld of the Lord is still modified by combat modifiers, and if you lose combat it will be by 1 at least, so he WILL drop to 9. If it drops below that of the hammerers (9) they will use that Ld instead - unmodifed.

fubukii
25-07-2007, 13:24
no dwarf elite unit is better then the hammerer they put shame to ironbreakers.

King Thurgun
25-07-2007, 14:41
I think the message of this thread is clear.

We need hammerers with gromril armor. Is that so much to ask?

Varath- Lord Impaler
25-07-2007, 15:03
Yep, Hammerers should be 13 points base and come with gromril, in return take away the option for shields.

It would be so much better

Aranel
25-07-2007, 15:14
Obvious things first; deployment always try for a refused flank or enduring mountain. If one side is weak reinforce with slayers. i always use hammerers in the middle of my line to act as the fighting edge. Ironbreakers are the ones who should be used to deal with flankers, a mix of banner runes should see to it that they don't run. Problem is they are bad at dealing out damage, a runesmith with a great weapon should help you win combat points. In a completely different direction, flankers are often fast and fragile. deploy an orgen gun out there and watch fast cavaly, skirmishers etc get blown to bits! anvil of doom can be useful as well.

ehlijen
25-07-2007, 15:21
The hammerers can be Ld 10 if the lord has the rune of kingship, but that's almost a waste on hammerers...
A third option besides hammerers and ironbreakers, is to take a slayer character (they can hold up most weaker units in combat pretty good) to let you take a second slayer unit.

The absolute best would be a stone lord with the kingship rune in a unit of ironbreakers with a bsb somewhere nearby. But that might be too many points. For cost effectiveness, hammerers are the best.

Varath- Lord Impaler
25-07-2007, 16:07
20 Ironbreakers, rune of battle, rune of stoicism, Lord in the front with great weapon, rune of stone and rune of kingship, also on an oathstone.

One of the most resiliant and powerful units in the game.

shartmatau
25-07-2007, 16:35
If you put Ironbreakers covering your flank you'd be better to not put your best character in it. You'd be better off with either no character and move one in if the flank is really in trouble OR a reasonable priced thane who is there just to deal damage.
I prefer the organ gun idea and a unit of thunderers are always near the flank to fire. I use Hammerers to countercharge my oathstone unit or be my oathstone unit.