PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Demonettes or Furries?

Exalted Scar-vet
25-07-2007, 07:05
as the title says, which is better?

they both move 20, however demonettes cant fly and furries are half the cost?

what are the pros and cons of both?

i ask beacuse i am thinking of taking them in my undivided army.

Thanks for any help!

Putty
25-07-2007, 07:10
i prefer furries because they can fly over terrain but depending on LoS.

Punk_in_Drublic
25-07-2007, 07:15
Take both.

Furies go warmachine hunting and move behind enemy units to catch them when they flee. They cannot really fight their way out of a wet paper bag though.

The daemonettes kick ass. They are without question one of my all time favourite units. They just move so ridiculously fast and they do pack much more of a punch than the furies. They are excellent flankers. They defeat other fast cav with ease and can pretty much go everywhere.

It kinda boils down to the rest of your list and your playing style, but i use both in almost all of my set ups.

Later,

-Punk

athamas
25-07-2007, 07:34
Mounted Demonettes IMO

its great to see your opponants face the first time you use them [they move how far???]

they hit hard and fast, and their steeds have strike first... [my unit was once rear charged by centigors, 4 died to the steeds :D]

BattleofLund
25-07-2007, 07:34
Yes, I agree with Punk here. As we say in Sweden, you need BOTH cheap booze AND pee-warm pear lemonade!

BUT if someone threatened me with a blunt stick, I would answer your question 'Furies'. After all, in a pinch they can enter a building or jump impassable terrain. (And, while Daemonettes are good figures, you're more free to use you own imagination when modelling Furies.)

MarcoPollo
25-07-2007, 07:38
Well they both serve different purposes really. But, if in pinch too, I would take mounted demonettes. Just too good to pass up.

Exalted Scar-vet
25-07-2007, 16:20
So im guessing they are both really good units as everyone seemed rather torn between the two. :p

ahhhh now i cant deciede! :eek:

I suppose taking both at 1,500 or 2,000 is Viable.

What about 1,000 though? only room for one or the other, which should i use?

theunwantedbeing
25-07-2007, 16:30
The furies are simply weaker,cheaper but more mobile and more able to stand up to your average shooting.
The daemonettes are a lot harder hitting and much better for taking on other opposing light units and war machines.

If you can take both,but the furies are the easier to fit into your army due to the much lower cost,plus they fulfill a role that not a lot of your army will be wanting to do(war machine hunting...they do it nice and cheaply).

The mounted daemonettes role is something that similar units can do for less,or for slightly more at greater effectiveness.
ie chaos knights arent much more expensive than them,a minimum sized unit is actually cheaper.
Mounted marauders are far cheaper and can fulfill effectively the same role,plus they can take more advantage of their fast cavalry rules as they are able to elect to flee from charges.

The lower the points value the more likely you are to go for the furies as they are the cheaper option.
Unless your basing your army heavily around slaaneshi troops in which case the mounted daemonettes are quite a useful unit to have,especially if you have multiple units of them.
Although you are likely to have both in that situation.

E-Dog
25-07-2007, 19:39
Furies are a must IMO.

Tuch
26-07-2007, 03:28
In my 1500 point list I run 6 Mounted Daemonettes (mainly 'cause I have 6 models) and 6 furies. Both do their job well and I can't see dropping either.

sulla
26-07-2007, 05:47
Furies for war machine hunting and vs gunlines, daemonetts for fighting infantry(they hit very hard from the flank) or killing furies...:evilgrin:

kroq'gar
26-07-2007, 05:54
mv 10 fast cavalry basically have the same freedom as furies, and in some cases more, as they are able to weave vs straightline flight.

The pain they can dish out when they get a flank is great, and the special rules make breaking units easier.

Furies are really just cheaper. As they say, spend penuts, you get monkeys.

Exalted Scar-vet
26-07-2007, 06:33
Well i just got home from a long day at GW and while i was there i founded out that mounted demonettes cost 12$ a model :(

so i went ahead and bought furries :P

MarcoPollo
26-07-2007, 07:51
At 1K I have 6 furries and 5 mounted demonettes.
At 1.5k and 2k I have 5 mounted demonettes, and 3 screemers (no furries) as I use them to gain marks for my characters. But, I would use both if there were not tzeetch characters at 1.5 and 2k.

BattleofLund
26-07-2007, 09:04
Well i just got home from a long day at GW and while i was there i founded out that mounted demonettes cost 12$ a model :(

so i went ahead and bought furries :P

They really cost that much!? Then I will nip down to our store and snag me those blisters with two Mounted Daemonettes in each...

Punk_in_Drublic
26-07-2007, 10:08
oh, do it, you won't regret it. E-bay and the trading section here are also good places to check. But mounted daemonettes is one of those units you won't regrett shelling out your hard earned dough on. Unlike Chaos warriors or ..... I don't know, bat swarms.

Later,

-Punk

Hywel
27-07-2007, 13:39
Mounted daemonettes are my favourite unit in the entire chaos list. I always take a unit of 6 (remember your sacred numbers).

They can achieve domination of the movement phase through their ability to:
A - be quicker than everything else.
B - be able to beat the snot out of pretty much anything with their movement potential.

Once you've achieved movement superiority, they're rather good combat units to attack flanks/rears. With 3 attacks per model, a ward save, fear causing.... well the list goes on. The -1Ld they cause on break tests is effectively a war banner that kicks in once you win combat.

However, as theunwantedbeing says, at lower point values you can probably substitute marauder horse in for the daemonettes. They're about half price and do essentially the same role, albeit not as well. Means you can take two such units or a unit of fast cavalry and your furies for the same price.

Not sure on why everyone thinks furies are essential though. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much always take them but could easily live without them. In fact, unless I'm facing war machines I tend to find them a redundant unit that flits around trying to march block and claim table quarters. Still, 90pts for 6 means you might as well shoehorn them in somehow...

Punk_in_Drublic
28-07-2007, 07:05
Yeah, I'm kinda with you here, Hywel. I'm not too excited about the furies. Once in a while you get them in position behind a unit that you manage to break in hth, and once in a while - just once in a while you manage to beat up some warm,achine crew, unless they kick the furies ass (happens most of the time - don't try to charge a cauldron of blood btw ;)) Same as you, I take them in a unit of 6, just because.

Later,

-Punk

sabre4190
29-07-2007, 02:16
I'm partial to screamers, but they dont seem to be an option.

Furies win this one in my book. They cant dish out as much damage, but they shouldnt have to. They should act as march blockers and artillery/wizard hunters. You should be able to do this through cc resolution.

Mounted daemonettes are better as flankers. They can negate rank bonuses, while furies cant. They cant move over units, which makes it hard to take out artillety and wizards.

So it depends on what you want. I advise furies, since i find myself in need to something to take out ranged units more often than not.

If you want fast cavalry, go with marauder horsemen. One of the best units in the game IMO. Cheap, useful and fast. They make cheap flankers/march blockers/decoys who can also hunt missile troops.

gerrymander61
29-07-2007, 03:12
My two cents? Mounted daemonettes are considerably cooler.

kaimarion
29-07-2007, 04:08
Personaly in 2k games I use about 15 screamers it just feels so evil for some reason:evilgrin:

But I would go for the mounted daemonettes they can be nasty if used correctly:D

kroq'gar
29-07-2007, 05:27
Marauder cav are probably to most overpriced (moneywise) regiment in the game.

There a good alternative in a mortals list. Does anyone know any good substitution ideas?

zak
29-07-2007, 15:36
I would go for the Daemonettes. I find them a more useful unit that can beat up small units and break most from the flank, which is achievable considering their 20" charge range meaning a 2nd turn charge is easily achievable.
Furies are far too vulnerable and don't gaurantee a win even against some warmachine crews!

BattleofLund
29-07-2007, 21:49
Marauder cav are probably to most overpriced (moneywise) regiment in the game.

There a good alternative in a mortals list. Does anyone know any good substitution ideas?

I think so. I've carved the ass-harness off of the Outrider horses; they make affordable Marauder mounts. Next batch I'll be snipping off all the body tackle, just keeping the strings on the head (technical term anyone? I know it's 'reins' and 'bit', but the rest?). I've sculpted unarmoured legs on the first lot, but will try butchering the plastic Marauder legs next because I want to speed things up. Marauder parts from the waist up, the butchness fits in well with the big horses.

Any other ideas?