PDA

View Full Version : A rules question concering fouls

Sherlocko
25-07-2007, 19:48
(Question concerns LRB5, bear in mind)

When trying to foul someone, and getting caught, do you complete the roll? If getting caught while rolling for armour I assume you just stop, but what if you are getting caught while succesfully rolling high on the injury roll. Me and my gaming mates see it as a sort of gray area, so it would be cool to see what other people think of it. :)

Gres
25-07-2007, 21:28
You complete the action. Once you foul you always roll armour and then injury if you break armour no matter whether you get caught or not.

Sherlocko
26-07-2007, 15:02
Oh, nice. So no more cursing over double 6s when rolling for injury. :)

Lord Firmshaft
05-09-2007, 12:16
Well how is the ref going to stop you when you are mid way from jumping on the player?

You continue the action and then the ref sends him off

Lord Firmshaft
13-09-2007, 14:22
Further question on fouling

If i have a player with dirty player and mighty blow can i combine both +1's to injury if i get through the armour with out needing the bonus on the armour roll?

Jet
13-09-2007, 18:36
I believe MB is used on block actions. A foul action is not a block action. DP is used on foul actions. Hence MB and DP can never combine.

LordSnotball
27-09-2007, 13:34
Jet is right...

basically 2 different skills cant be used at exactly the same time... and DP cant be used on blocks either :)

Oh, and give this a try, figure out which skill is used when if a player has shadowing AND diving tackle.

PhrollikK
27-09-2007, 13:48
I would imagine you have to choose one or the other. Both DT and Shadowing are used when someone leaves a players TZ. So essentially you either use DT and fall prone in the square that was occupied by the dodging player and hope the -2 dodge modifier works or you shadow and hope that works and follow. You could combine and first use shadowing and follow the player and in the next dodge use Dt. Can't use both at he same time.

Jet
28-09-2007, 22:11
Diving tackle affects the dodge roll. Shadowing has to be chosen before the dodge roll is even made, hence the defending player must choose whether or not to use shadowing before the dodge roll phase even begins. Diving tackle affects the dodge roll which comes after shadowing is decided.

So shadowing comes first. You must choose not to use shadowing in order to use diving tackle on any specific dodge. However, 2 separate players can use shadowing and diving tackle on the same dodge, but that's almost overkill in defence!

PhrollikK
28-09-2007, 22:18
Diving tackle affects the dodge roll. Shadowing has to be chosen before the dodge roll is even made, hence the defending player must choose whether or not to use shadowing before the dodge roll phase even begins. Diving tackle affects the dodge roll which comes after shadowing is decided.

So shadowing comes first. You must choose not to use shadowing in order to use diving tackle on any specific dodge. However, 2 separate players can use shadowing and diving tackle on the same dodge, but that's almost overkill in defence!

That's an interesting point. I'm not so sure you could do that with 2 players as they would occupy the same square (if Shadowing was succesful). It could be argued that you could do the DT if/after the shadowing skill fails but I would assume you have to decide the use of Shadowing and DT before any rolls are made so by default only one could be used despite the skills being on different players...

Darkson
29-09-2007, 06:26
but I would assume you have to decide the use of Shadowing and DT before any rolls are made

Incorrect. Unless stated otherwise in the skills description, the use of all skills is decided on AFTER the dice roll (and yes, that includes Kick).

So a player with shadowing and DT (nice combo on fast players btw) goes like this.

Player A dodges away from player B with shadowing and DT.

If player A fails the dodge (assume no rerolls), nothing happens to B.
If player A passes, player B can elect to use DT, and goes prone.
If player A passes, and DT would have no effect, player B can elect to use Shadowing, which if successful, causes the whole cycle to start again.

That's the quick and easy version (seeing as I'm meant to be at work now!), but there's a longer and more detailed post/explanation on another BB forum (TalkBloodBowl iirc) by Galak (LRB5 rules writer), and I'll try and find it out.

Darkson
29-09-2007, 06:30
basically 2 different skills cant be used at exactly the same time...

Not totally correct.

Examples of combos.

Mighty Blow and Claw
Frenzy and Grab
Prehensile tail and Diving Tackle

PhrollikK
29-09-2007, 07:39
Ahh you are indeed correct in that you can state to use a skill after the throw, my bad.

Lord Firmshaft
03-10-2007, 12:19
Not totally correct.

Examples of combos.

Mighty Blow and Claw
Frenzy and Grab
Prehensile tail and Diving Tackle

So there are cases of multiple skills being used at the same time so this hasnt answered 100% my question of dirty player and mighty blow? I mean someone could kick a player thats down REALLY hard couldnt they?

Darkson
03-10-2007, 13:34
Mighty Blow can't be used on fouls, because it was decided they can't. There's no reason rule-wise why they can't, other than it was decided after 3rd edition (when skills like MB, Claw and Razor Sharp Claws could be used) that it was to deadly, and to easy for those combos, therefore the rules were changed so that MB, Claw and RSC only worked on Blocks, and Dirty Player (and LRB5 Sneaky Git) only worked on fouls.

Lord Firmshaft
03-10-2007, 16:35
All i was asking was where it said so, as my local club is starting a league and it would be nice to have something we all could see.

I wasnt asking to be funny just for clarity

Darkson
03-10-2007, 22:47
Read the skills description - it mentions blocks, doesn't mention fouls.

Lord Firmshaft
04-10-2007, 13:07
Thank you thats what i was looking for but i couldnt find it when i was looking